At 12:50 AM 7/28/99 -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>I agree -- only to a point. I would argue that, being an open organization
>that we are, the media shouldn't be especially priviledged to any
>information that isn't open to anyone.

I doubt Dan was restricing access to the press section to anyone except the
media.  I think that should be our target audience.

>> These documents would be on the web site in several different formats
>> that would be available to download in, for example:
<snip>
>I disagree totally. For the net, there really is only one format -- HTML.

But we're not talking *only* the net here.  Besides, what about XML? :-)

>I really have no desire to impose formatting on those who would use our
>information; if a vendor wants to take our info and re-format it to suit
>the style of their existing presentation, fine by me.

And what *I* would like to avoid is the (I beleive) majority of people who
will look at the information and NOT be able to reformat it.  From my
experience, that extra step will discourage quite a few people (the
majority, actually) from using our information.  Sure, someone like me, who
is technically-savvy (and good-looking, to boot! :-) won't have a problem
with reformating the information, but most people will.

Does it sound like I'm holding the user's hand?  Damn straight!  Most
people want/need help to do unfamiliar things.

Faber

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right
keys at the right
time and the instrument plays itself. -- J.S. Bach