"A.R. (Tom) Peters" wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Michael Cunningham wrote:
>
> > > Since the tests will be revised from time to time to
[snip]
> > Maybe even 4 years.. Someone who is certified with linux is most likely
> > using it, hence they will just have to natyurally keep up with changes.
>
>   My feelings too.  I have the impression that (re)certification is being
> used as a cash cow, and we shouldn't do that.  In fact, I think we need
> no recertification at all.  If we give the certificates a clear version
> number and date stamp, the LPIC and his prospective employer will note
> themselves if it has grown stale.  If the LPIC can convince the employer
> he has kept himself up-to date, I don't see why we would require
> re-certification.  It can be done voluntarily if need be.

I think there's a very good precedent for requiring recertification.
How many professions require their members to be recertified regularly?
Doctors? Engineers? Teachers?  None of these groups sees their
fundamental technology change as quickly as we do.  Granted it may
evolve into a cash cow, but that's the sort of thing a community base
program is best equipped to handle.  At the rate that technology
changes, even a relatively recent certification may quickly become out
of date.  I think recertification needs a pretty close look before it's
discarded...

Jared