On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Jared Buckley wrote:

> I think there's a very good precedent for requiring recertification.
> How many professions require their members to be recertified regularly?
> Doctors? Engineers? Teachers?  None of these groups sees their
> fundamental technology change as quickly as we do.  Granted it may
> evolve into a cash cow, but that's the sort of thing a community base
> program is best equipped to handle.  At the rate that technology
> changes, even a relatively recent certification may quickly become out
> of date.  I think recertification needs a pretty close look before it's
> discarded...

  Suppose we want recertification, there will be 2 underlying reasons;
what will be our policy?

1) People (like MD's) need to recertify every X years to show they still
have the skills.  IMHO the LPIC and employer should decide by themselves
if the LPIC has kept up and needs recertification or not.

2) When the exams evolve, our old certificates become less relevant.  But
maybe we don't upgrade our exams for ages.  I guess we should give
certificates a validity for X major revisions of the exams.

  Which brings up the question, how and when do we upgrade the exams and
what do we do with the old ones?

-

        Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters
                NL-1062 KD nr 149       tel.    31-204080204
                        Amsterdam       e-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]