On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Jared Buckley spewed into the bitstream:

> Ok, since it seems like conversation on this topic has died down, let's
> summarize and see if we can begin to move towards a consensus:
>
>     1)  Do we need recertification?
>         Pros:  It seems like the general sentiment was that recert was
>                necessary to keep the value of the certificate from going
>                stale and to protect LPI's reputation.

I don't think much of this argument.

>         Cons:  The potential exists for LPI to become a "paper mill"
>                generating endless recertification requirements as a source
>                of continuing revenue. (cash cow)

and this one is so bogus... it may be a legitimate thought but LPI isn't a "cash
accruing entity" beyond operational and developmental funding.

>     2)  If we do recertification, when do we require it?
>         a)  On an Fixed Time Schedule - i.e. require recert every two or
>             three years.  Variations on this theme include:

Why do this? When the determining factor is in the next statement.

>               o  Recert on "major" (<-- undefined) revisions or at a
>                  fixed time interval, whichever comes first.

Revisional recert is the way to go. Example: from RH5.0 thru 5.2 I wouldn't have
required a recert but for 6.0 I would and this applies to the issues outlined in
the next two points as well.

>               o  Recert required at a fixed time after a newer test
>                  has been released.  i.e.  if the Red Hat specific test
>                  is updated for a new distribution release, current cert
>                  holders would need to recertify within X number of
>                  years.
>         b)  After a major kernel revision release, i.e. 2.x.x to 3.x.x.
>         c)  Let the Employers/Employees (cert holders) Decide - In other
>             words, date each cert test passed and let potential employers
>             or the cert holder themselves decide if enough time has passed
>             that recertification is required.

All of these are really related to the same issue. Vendor releases containing
major changes will require a re-cert. They can take it when ever they want, in
my view (but I'd expect their employer is gonna dictate!).

>     3)  Do we make recertifying LPIC holders take the newest version of
>         the same test, or do we have special test just for recert'ing at
>         a particular level?

No special recert test... they should take the whole thing again!

--
Chuck Mead, CTO, MoonGroup Consulting, Inc. <http://moongroup.com>
Mail problems? Send "s-u-b-s-c-r-i-b-e mailhelp" (no quotes and no