On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Richard Rager wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Jared Buckley wrote:

  ???

>   Ok my option is: that the will be no experation date, just the date
> passed.  Let the employer pick the date to needed to update the testing.

  So that is about certification renewal.

>   There should be sub-test that update the person.  Example:
>
>   There a new kernel from 2.0 to 2.2 so there will be a kernel upgrade
> test.
>
>   If a new apache come out 1.3 to 1.4 Test it.

  So that is about exam content renewal, which really is a different
issue.

  I say: NO WAY!  We would have a Apache 1.3 test, and Apache 1.4 test
etc., a kernel 2.0 test, a kernel 2.2 test etc., a sendmail 8.1 test, a
sendmail 8.2 test etc. ad nauseam.  This will neaver work.  In fact, it
was discussed and decided all in the beginning that we would not make
certifications with a long list of endorsements: that would only make the
certification so complicated thgat it would confuse employers and the
certification would not acquire wide recognition.
  Instead, what we have been doing is we freeze exam contents at a certain
moment, and everything that is current is in.  We will upgrade the exams
at some time when significant changes have accumulated; the question is:
can we define a policy on when to upgrade EXAMS?.

  But what is on topic here is:
1) Do we require CERTIFICATION renewal by people already certified;
2) If so, in what conditions?
A) after some time has passed because they may forget things (they will
take whatever exam is current, which may be exactly the same exam they did
years before).
B) after the exams have gone through an X number of revisions of content
(and remember, when we upgrade exams is an entirely different issue).

--

        Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters
                NL-1062 KD nr 149       tel.    31-204080204
                        Amsterdam       e-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]