Hi,

We are meeting some issues with DFS referrals when using CIFS for linux. I don't know much about technical details on DFS, but before studying further, I would like to know if this feature is even supposed to be supported by the Linux CIFS client.

To explain the situation, we have several shares :

\\filer\main(main entry point)
\\filer\share1(scattered volumes with data)
\\filer\share2

if \\filer\main\share1points to \\filer\share1(top level) we manage to access the share1 content correctly (so DFS mechanism seems to work)

but if \\filer\main\some\directory\remote\locationpoints to \\filer\share2\dir1\dir2\inside\locationhere we get stuck.

The client can have the following behaviours, more or less with no apparent logic up to now :
   * "Object is remote" error
   * "No such file or directory" error
   * sometimes locked in infinite loop (with the older versions, see below)
* accesses it, but lists the content of \\filer\share2(top level of the share) not the content of \\filer\share2\dir1\dir2\inside\locationso we loose part of the link's path

With Windows 7 clients, the expected behaviour occurs correctly.

We use up-to-date debian 6.0.10 & 7.6, and CentOS 6.5 (i.e kernels 2.6.32 & 3.2.x) with stock cifs-utils package (2:4.5-2, 2:5.5-1) and the CIFS server is NetApp OnTap 8, with the widelink feature (translation of linux symlinks)

If this should be supported, can you provide information of the parameters to set correctly, or if we have to compile a newer version, which one ?

Thank you,

Franck