Hi.
My system has a core i5 520M and supports AES-NI. I wanted to do a
rude performance test and so I ran these commands on a small (4GB) partition
and on the dm-crypt device backed by it:

1) using the aesni-intel module: dd if=/dev/dev/mapper/vol of=/dev/null bs=4k
2) using only the generic aes-x86_64 module: dd if=/dev/dev/mapper/vol
of=/dev/null bs=4k
3) dd if=/dev/sda4 of=/dev/null bs=4k

What I got kind of surprised me:
1) ~ 67 MB/sec, with a low cpu load by kcryptd
2) ~ 79 MB/sec, with a higher cpu load by kcryptd
3) ~ 81 MB/sec

So aesni-intel seems to be quite slower than the generic aes-x86_64 (although
with a lower cpu load).
Is this to be expected? Am I missing something?

The kernel is the "official" 2.6.32.something (AMD64) from debian sid.

Thanks

John