On 03.11.2010, 23:27 Huang Ying wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 14:14 -0700, Mathias Krause wrote:
>> The AES-NI instructions are also available in legacy mode so the 32-bit
>> architecture may profit from those, too.
>>
>> To illustrate the performance gain here's a short summary of the tcrypt
>> speed test on a Core i7 M620 running at 2.67GHz comparing both assembler
>> implementations:
>>
>> x86:                              i568       aes-ni   delta
>> 256 bit, 8kB blocks, ECB:  125.94 MB/s  187.09 MB/s  +48.6%
>
> Which method do you used for speed testing?
>
> modprobe tcrypt mode=200 sec=<?>

Yes. I used: modprobe tcrypt mode=200 sec=1

> That actually does not work very well for AES-NI. Because AES-NI
> blkcipher is tested in synchronous mode, and in that mode,
> kernel_fpu_begin/end() must be called for every block, and
> kernel_fpu_begin/end() is quite slow.

That's what I figured, too. Can this slowdown be avoided by saving and
restoring the used FPU registers within the assembler implementation or
would this be even slower?

> At the same time, some further
> optimization for AES-NI can not be tested (such as "ecb-aes-aesni"
> driver) in that mode, because they are only available in asynchronous
> mode.

After finding the bug in the second version of the patch I noticed this,
too.

> When developing AES-NI for x86_64, I uses dm-crypt + AES-NI for speed
> testing, where AES-NI blkcipher will be tested in asynchronous mode, and
> kernel_fpu_begin/end() is called for every page. Can you use that to
> test?

But wouldn't this be even slower than the above measurement? I took the
results for 8kB blocks and a page would only be 4kB ... well, depends on
what kind of pages you took. IIRC x86-64 not only supports 2MB but also
1GB pages ;)

> Or you can add test_acipher_speed (similar with test_ahash_speed) to
> test cipher in asynchronous mode.

Maybe I'll try this approach, since it looks like just a minor
modification of the tcrypt module.
Thanks for the hints!

Best regards,
Mathias