xdm has a set of configuration files where you can define the look and
feel of xdm itself, the commands to be run in a session and the
commands to be run once the session is over.

The look and feel is defined in Xresources.

The startup clients (including your preferred window manager) should
be started in a shell script called .xsession in your home directory.
If you start the window manager from there, it should exit cleanly
without leaving fvwm plugins running (run it with ``exec'' from
.xsession).

If you still face problems with hanging processes, you should
explicitely kill them in Xreset.

Xresources and Xreset are in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm on my system, they
could be under /etc/X11 on other distributions.

Hope this helps,

-- Raju