Dear Rajesh,

First of all don't panic yourself. This thing can be handled. We have all
done something of this sort.

You are either trying to mount the wrong partition as / or you are trying
to load a kernel whose name is not correct.

This is what I would do.

First take the problem hard disk out of the box and install it on a
machine that supports booting from CDROM.

Then boot from the CDROM - I assume you have a LINUX CDROM of some sort.
If not, we can help you get one, can't we ? The PCQ CD will be adequate.

You will get a prompt for 'rescue' or 'boot'. Choose recsue.

Now try booting from each partition. I mean try root=/dev/hda1 then
root=/dev/hda2 and so on until you finally are able to boot.

Remember which partition worked and write it down. Edit your lilo.conf.
Now run lilo -v -t. This will just test the lilo installation. It *wont*
install the lilo. Make sure the lilo -v -t doesn't generate error
messages.

Make sure that the image is pointing to the correct kernel image.

If all else fails, this is what I did once - and successfully. Re-install
on top. I mean, just go re-install without installing anything or
reformating your partitions.

I hope at this works. Last thing I want to know is that your boss told you
that NT was better. I have been there, you know.

PAI