we have an old 486sx-25 running rh 5.2. i am pretty sure that its bios
is not y2k compliant. however we would like to use this machine to log
all print activity. print jobs are fired from various win95/98 boxes
as well as linux boxes. the printer itself is an hp2100 tn with an
ethernet card. the win boxes "see" the netwook printer connected to
the 486 rh box thru samba. linux boxes send print jobs directly to the
printer's ip number. my question is-

(a) is it ok to use the 486 for print logging (i.e. no y2k danger)? if
    not, what is the absolutely minimum amount that we need to spend
    to make it y2k compliant? (please don't ask me to upgrade the
    motherboard.) i thought that all the latter day linuxes have a
    phony patch which just replaces "00" with year "2000" and this
    should be good enough for what we need the printserver to do.

(b) how is this print logging actually to be done? specifically we need
    "who fired the print job" and "how many bytes and pages were
    printed". also would be nice if some users can be barred from
    printing on this printer.

thanks for any help.

ajit ranade.