Hi,

Let me explain a bit our situation. I work at a non-profit organization
called Bednet, in Belgium. We provide children with a long-term illness the
opportunity to follow classes live from their home or hospital. For this,
we provide all the hardware and software, such as computers and
Pan-Tilt-Zoom camera's. We provide this service for free.

All the computers are Dell. The types are OptiPlex 790 and 990. We run
Debian Jessie as OS. Recently a problem has arisen: the USB3 PCI expansion
card (required for our camera's) crashes regularly, making the video image
freeze and requiring a reboot. Very annoying of course. But there's a
solution: updating to the latest BIOS version.

Unfortunately, all these computers are remote and spread out over the
country. So we need some kind of way to do it from within Debian. All of
our computers are connected over VPN and are configured with Puppet, so
given the right tool we can automate this without a problem.

There is a dellBiosUpdate executable which comes with libsmbios. The
problem is I can't obtain the header files for the BIOS updates (for
instance, 'O990-A19.exe' for the OptiPlex 990). I've tried all different
kind of ways to extract them from the DOS executables:

- In FreeDOS, using the -writehdrfile / -writeromfile / -writehexfile
switch, the options are not recognized
- Also the '/s /e=C:' switch is not recognized
- I can't open the executable using 7zip or something similar to obtain
what's inside
- I was able to find and extract what I believe is the header file (it was
a zlib compressed file) using binwalk and also with this tool:
https://github.com/theopolis/uefi-firmware-parser/blob/master/scripts/contrib/dell_extract_hdr.py;
unfortunately,
the dellBiosUpdate executable reports: 'libsmbios_c.rbu_hdr.InvalidRbuHdr:
Not a valid RBU HDR File. Header doesnt have '$RBU' header.'

There is also a (old) mirror repo that I found with header files:
http://ftp.centrale-marseille.fr/pub/dell/repo/firmware/bios-hdrs/

But the header files for the OptiPlex 990 are not there (system ID: 0x047E).

Is there any way anyone could help me out? I would be so grateful as it
would be a tremendous help for us.

Best regards,
Simon Wydooghe