Jim,

I don't believe your particular model was certified with Ubuntu.
Of course a lot of the hardware is similar to other Dell machines certified
with Ubuntu though.
The hardware that went out with that generation was certified went out with a
15.04 kernel (3.19) that was part of the HWE stack on 14.04 LTS.  It's entirely
possible there has been a regression that happened in 4.2 or later.

The first thing I would do is try a BIOS update.  See if your problems persist
after doing that.  You should be able to place the updated BIOS executable on a
USB key or the EFI system partition and flash it from the F12 boot menu at POST.

> Are there any device drivers available to try?

If the BIOS update doesn't fix your issue, then you should finish your upgrade
to 16.04.  If you have problems with the upgrade, file some bugs so that the
upgrade problems can get fixed.

If the problems you have persist with suspend in 16.04, then you should install
the latest mainline kernel.
The Ubuntu kernel team has a PPA they build mainline kernels with.
If problems /still/ persist there, file a bug with all the details about the
stuff you've tried and symptoms to the kernel bugzilla tracker.

> Is there a better/tested distribution and version of Linux to use?  I’d
> actually
> probably prefer Debian, but when I tried that disto I couldn’t get the
> wireless to
> work.

Dell HW comes with a variety of wireless cards.  What wireless card do you
have?   What driver is it supported by?  Any hardware that can be supported in
Ubuntu can be supported in Debian too, it just might require some extra work
finding the right drivers and possibly upgrading to a different kernel.  The
kernel in Debian stable is not new enough to support Intel Skylake iGPU
properly I believe.