Hi Paul,

First off let me say that Flashrom is an unsecured flashing mechanism.
On Dell systems the SPI rom is only unlocked after the signature of the
flashing payload is validated.

The strategies offered for client systems and servers vary.

On supported client and IoT systems Dell has started to offer UEFI capsule
updates (www.fwupd.org).

On other client systems that don't yet support UEFI capsule update, you can
flash by placing
the binary on a FAT32 USB stick and pressing F12 at POST.  You will see an
option to "Flash BIOS".
It will let you select the binary and flash it.
You actually don't need a FAT32 USB stick if the machine is already booting in
UEFI mode.  You
can also place it on the EFI system partition and browse that from the F12 menu.

For server systems there are a lot of other components that need to be updated
(such as LCC
and iDRAC).  DUP packages that can be run in Linux are released for these
systems.  It's also
possible to do updates from bootable media
(http://www.dell.com/Support/Article/us/en/04/SLN296511)

Thanks,