Dear Mario,

Thank you for your reply.

On 09/13/16 16:13, mario_limoncie...@dell.com wrote:

> First off let me say that Flashrom is an unsecured flashing mechanism.
> On Dell systems the SPI rom is only unlocked after the signature of the
> flashing payload is validated.

It wouldn’t be hard to extend a program like flashrom, or write a
wrapper around it, to check the signature.

> The strategies offered for client systems and servers vary.
>
> On supported client and IoT systems Dell has started to offer UEFI capsule
> updates (www.fwupd.org).
>
> On other client systems that don't yet support UEFI capsule update, you can
> flash by placing
> the binary on a FAT32 USB stick and pressing F12 at POST.  You will see an
> option to "Flash BIOS".
> It will let you select the binary and flash it.
> You actually don't need a FAT32 USB stick if the machine is already booting
> in UEFI mode.  You
> can also place it on the EFI system partition and browse that from the F12
> menu.

I am well aware of these methods, and can only say, that they aren’t as
user friendly as running a program from the running operating system.

> For server systems there are a lot of other components that need to be
> updated (such as LCC
> and iDRAC).  DUP packages that can be run in Linux are released for these
> systems.

Last time I tried it, this was very cumbersome.

> It's also possible to do updates from bootable media
 > (http://www.dell.com/Support/Article/us/en/04/SLN296511)

Creating a new boot media, although I am already running an operating
system, which provides the same environment, is a waste of time and
resources.

So back to the original question, will Dell provide the customers an
*easy* way, that means it takes less than two minutes, to update the
firmware from their operating system of choice?

Who is the right person to contact?

Kind regards,

Paul Menzel