  GnomeDateEdit Widget - Locale Specific Display (Jack Hannon)

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: SINGAL bad. =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= linux bug ?
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 13:56:31 +0200

==============C90D1EE85858B504F06A7ED2

HI,

I am trying to use si_sigaction to obtain memory direction error, but it
doesnt work.

I have proved it into Solaris System and it works OK.

I have attached the probe file:
sigaltstack.c

I install a signal handler and then I produce bad mem access. The man
says that is_addr should
give me address direction error, but really says that I have access to
0x0 direction memory.

Please can anyone probe the code and send me the output.
THANKS
==============C90D1EE85858B504F06A7ED2

#include <stdio.h>
#include <signal.h>

void trat_segv ( int s , siginfo_t *si , void *extra ) // __attribute__ (=
( section( ".shared") ))
{
  printf( "----SEGV -------------------\n" ) ;
  printf( "SIGNAL_NUMBER: %d\n" , si -> si_signo ) ;
  printf( "Errno value: %d\n" , si -> si_errno ) ;
  printf( "Signal Code: %d\n" , si -> si_code ) ;
  printf( "PID_T: %d\n" , si -> si_pid  ) ;
  printf( "UID_T: %d\n" , si -> si_uid ) ;
  printf( "SI_STATUS: %d\n" , si -> si_status ) ; /* Exit value or signal=
 */
  printf( "SIGNAL VALUE: %d\n" , si -> si_value ) ;  /* Signal value */
  printf( "SIGNAL INT: %d\n" , si -> si_int ) ;    /* POSIX.1b signal */
  printf( "SI_PTR: %d\n" , si -> si_ptr ) ;    /* POSIX.1b signal */
  printf( "SI_ADDR: %d\n" , si -> si_addr ) ;   /* Maemory location which=
 caused fault */
  printf( "SI_BAND: %d\n" , si -> si_band ) ;   /* Band event */
  printf( "SI_FD: %d\n" , si -> si_fd );     /* File descriptor */       =
                   =

  exit(0);
}

int main ( )
{
  stack_t segv_stack ;
  struct sigaction accion; =

  segv_stack.ss_sp    =3D (void *)malloc( SIGSTKSZ )  ;
  segv_stack.ss_size  =3D SIGSTKSZ   ;
  segv_stack.ss_flags =3D 0 ;

  printf("Direcci=F3n baja de pila: %p, Direcci=F3n alta de pila: %p\n",
        segv_stack.ss_sp, segv_stack.ss_sp+SIGSTKSZ);
  if ( sigaltstack ( &segv_stack , 0 ) < 0 )
    {
      perror( "SIGALTKSTACK: " ) ;
      printf( "ARGUMENTOS:\nSP: %p\nSIZE: %d\nFLAGS: %d\n" , =

              segv_stack.ss_sp , segv_stack.ss_size , segv_stack.ss_flags=
 ) ;

      return ;
    }

  =

  accion.sa_sigaction =3D trat_segv ;
  sigemptyset(&accion.sa_mask);
  accion.sa_flags =3D SA_RESTART | SA_NOCLDSTOP | SA_ONSTACK | SA_SIGINFO=
 ;
  sigaction(SIGSEGV, &accion, NULL);

  {
    int *a =3D (int *)0x1 ;
    *a =3D 10 ;
  }
  return 0 ;
}

==============C90D1EE85858B504F06A7ED2==

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Why no defrag?
Date: 18 May 2000 11:33:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Josef Moellers  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Peet Grobler wrote:
>
>> I've seen the question posted to this group many times now, is there a
>> defrag for linux? The conclusion is there is not. I'm sitting at my desk,
>> thinking, why not?
>
>> Is there any specific reason for defrag not being written? I mean, can
>> anybody tell me something that would stop me from writing one?
>
>Simply because there is no need for a defrag.

Still someone wrote one. It's called e2defrag. There are at least
redhat and debian packages for it. I've never used it since there is
no need for it, but it does exist.

Mike.
--
Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: 18 May 2000 11:36:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Steuber  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>' Mongoose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>'
>' > >KDE isn't free.
>'
>' >   uh what? I don't remember paying for KDE...
>'
>' If I remember the analogy correctly, it's free as in "free beer," but
>' not free as in "free speech."  Qt is the bottleneck, I believe.
>
>Unless you plan on porting KDE to Windows, KDE is totaly free.  It is
>only the Windows version of Qt that requires you to buy a license.
>And even then, you only need it if your program isn't GPL.

What most people don't like about KDE is that if you port your
commercial program to Linux, you'll have to pay for a Qt license.

Now that in itself is not so bad, but it's not fair. KDE is built
on the kernel, X, gcc, you name it - all free. Yet you have to pay
for this tiny Qt component. I'd rather pay Linus a few bucks for the
kernel, since I feel that's a lot fairer.

Mike.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 12:16:09 GMT

On Thu, 18 May 2000 09:43:52 +0200, "Peet Grobler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hello.
>
>I've seen the question posted to this group many times now, is there a
>defrag for linux? The conclusion is there is not. I'm sitting at my desk,
>thinking, why not?

Why do you assume that a defrag program is necessary?

>Is there any specific reason for defrag not being written? I mean, can
>anybody tell me something that would stop me from writing one?

There's nothing out here stopping you from writing a defrag program.

>Cheers,
>Peet

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant
Toronto Dominion Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 18 May 2000 12:19:01 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Mongoose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: I want to click on a damn button and have the program install.  I want
: the option to do it by hand if I have to, but installing anything on
: Linux is a nightmare if you have to build it from the source.  Note

I do it for everything on my system, and I never have the least
trouble. I suspect you mean "it's a nightmare for those who can't".

: also that "make install" will occasionally break, depending on your
: distribution.  And they all seem to be going in tangential directions
: on this one.

I use slackware and debian, and have no problems with either. I'd never
touch redhat with a bargepole, since it's as nonstandard as hell. But
even srpms' come ready-packaged. One just has to open them,
look at their spec file and makefile, edit to taste, and go. Apply
whatever patches look neccessary after examining them closely and
with suspicion. Remove all RH non-standard placements, and fire.

: There's just no excuse for not having an adequate installer.  We have

The installers I have are very adequate (make and tar).  And from what
I've seen the distros have excellenet installers too. I can understand
peoples problems with rpm, because it never brought anything to the
table except obscurantism (yes, slackware already had all the tools
and options in tgz, except for something that prevented you breaking
your own dependencies, and why would you ..). Apt-get solves most things
in debian .. it has a layering problem, in that you can import
something with apt-get and then install it with dpkg, which may leave you
needing to upgrade something else and apt-get didn't get a chance
to warn you. I had this experience recently when I upgrade libc6
and broke cucipop .. just the pop3 function. It took me a week to
discover and upgrade cucipop. I imagine that the breakage wasn't known
at the time I upgraded libc6.

: two excellent package-management tools, dpkg (and apt) and rpm.  All
: we have to do is put a shiny new GUI front-end on them.

: Not that I am bitter.

:-)

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Frank" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 12:49:30 GMT

Miquel van Smoorenburg <8g0kf3$mbv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
^
^ Still someone wrote one. It's called e2defrag. There are at least
^ redhat and debian packages for it. I've never used it since there is
^ no need for it, but it does exist.
^

I suppose anyone can write one:

int main(void)
{
        fprintf(stdout, "Defragmenting drives... ");
        sleep(900);
        fprintf(stdout, "done\n");
        return(0);
}

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 13:08:55 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Peet Grobler would say:
>I've seen the question posted to this group many times now, is there a
>defrag for linux? The conclusion is there is not. I'm sitting at my desk,
>thinking, why not?

It sure _is_ a frequently asked question; apparently Executive
Software, authors of defrag software for VMS and Windows, have done as
successful a job of convincing people they need defragmenting as their
"parent organization" (the Church of Scientology) has done of
convincing people that they need "emgram audits" and "removal of their
thetans."

Much as with unusual cultic religious practices, there is little
_rational_ reason to worry about daily defragmentation on Linux.  That
is a phenomenon associated with "other religions."

>Is there any specific reason for defrag not being written? I mean, can
>anybody tell me something that would stop me from writing one?

Specifically, the program you suggest has not been written is in fact
locatable at <ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/filesystems/>.

The _real_ point is that there is little point to the exercise, as
unlike the VMS and Windows FAT (and friends) filesystems, Linux does
not suffer badly from fragmentation except when filesystems get
extremely full, at which point there is little to be done about the
issue.

Furthermore, active work is ongoing on filesystems like ReiserFS to
cope with the "problem areas" of news spools and the like, which is
the main place where things tend to fragment.  When you change
filesystems, the sorts of tools available change...

--
"Microsoft   builds   product  loyalty   on   the   part  of   network
administrators and consultants, [these are] the only people who really

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 13:08:56 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Lew Pitcher would say:
>On Thu, 18 May 2000 09:43:52 +0200, "Peet Grobler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>I've seen the question posted to this group many times now, is there a
>>defrag for linux? The conclusion is there is not. I'm sitting at my desk,
>>thinking, why not?
>
>Why do you assume that a defrag program is necessary?

The hefty marketing by Executive Software, maybehaps?

>>Is there any specific reason for defrag not being written? I mean, can
>>anybody tell me something that would stop me from writing one?
>
>There's nothing out here stopping you from writing a defrag program.

Actually, the process of looking into it is probably prohibitive in
and of itself.

Steps:

1.  Gentle user decides to write "defrag-ext2"

2.  Gentle user goes off and reads ext2 code in kernel.

3.  Somewhat enlightened gentle user starts writing code that fiddles
    around with ordering of blocks, coalescing as needed.

4.  Irritated more-enlightened user finds some files "nuked" by that
    process, due to not fully understanding the format.

5.  After further investigation, enlightened user realizes that the
    shifting around of data on the disk doesn't actually do anything
    to improve performance, and thus isn't worth the programming
    effort.

6.  Experienced user decides that maybe it's better to clean up the
    one partition where cleanup has merit by using their backup;
    reformats the filesystem, and recovers the data.
--
Rules of the Evil Overlord  #98. "If an attractive young couple enters
my realm,  I will carefully monitor  their activities. If  I find they

------------------------------

From: "Mark Tranchant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 13:11:35 +0100

Peet Grobler wrote in message <39239f25$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hello.
>
>I've seen the question posted to this group many times now, is there a
>defrag for linux? The conclusion is there is not. I'm sitting at my desk,
>thinking, why not?
>
>Is there any specific reason for defrag not being written? I mean, can
>anybody tell me something that would stop me from writing one?

It's not needed. You're probably coming from a DOS/Windows or MacOS
environment, where fragmentation got worse and worse and started affecting
performance. The consciencious user would defrag all filesystems regularly,
and feel "clean" after doing so!

Linux's default filesystem, ext2, in conjunction with the kernel, has much
better control over fragmentation and thus a defrag utility is not needed.
I'm sure one has been written despite this though - look around if you're
interested.

--
Mark.
http://www.tranchant.freeserve.co.uk/

------------------------------

From: Harald Finster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 15:34:24 +0200

Frank wrote:

> Miquel van Smoorenburg <8g0kf3$mbv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> ^
> ^ Still someone wrote one. It's called e2defrag. There are at least
> ^ redhat and debian packages for it. I've never used it since there is
> ^ no need for it, but it does exist.
> ^
>
> I suppose anyone can write one:
>
> int main(void)
> {
>         fprintf(stdout, "Defragmenting drives... ");
>         sleep(900);
>         fprintf(stdout, "done\n");
>         return(0);
> }

No, no, absolutely insufficient:
You should at least add a few read/write operations causing
head-movements, so that the user has the impression, that
defrag is heavily working :-)

Harald

--
Harald Finster
-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aki M Laukkanen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: 18 May 2000 13:07:12 GMT

In article <39239f25$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peet Grobler wrote:
>I've seen the question posted to this group many times now, is there a
>defrag for linux? The conclusion is there is not. I'm sitting at my desk,
>thinking, why not?

I've seen similar questions been posted and gotten the correct answer.
There is a ext2 defrag tool by Stephen Tweedie and it'll take you two
seconds where to find it on Freshmeat.

Btw. there is nowadays a ext2 resize (shrink/grow) tool too.

--
D.

------------------------------

From: Martin Alt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.software-eng,alt.os.linux
Subject: #include <linux/sched.h>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 16:10:20 +0200

Hi,

Maybe I am only blind but I only want to
    #include <linux/sched.h>
to use the
    request_irq(0x04, &ser_int, 0, "serial", NULL);
command and get only these error messages:

bash-2.03# gcc -O -o ser sertest.c
In file included from /usr/include/linux/fs.h:9,
                 from /usr/include/linux/capability.h:13,
                 from /usr/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
                 from /usr/include/linux/sched.h:8,
                 from sertest.c:10:
/usr/include/linux/config.h:4: linux/autoconf.h: No such file or
directory

Does anybody knows this problem or thas an idee?
Regards
Martin

------------------------------

From: Toby Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE Studio binary wanted
Date: 18 May 2000 10:13:51 -0400

!! "Christian" == Christian Parpart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  >> You are wanting a development tool and cannot compile it
  >> yourself?
  >>

  Christian> Yes, because it needs the giflib30 and I can't get it
  Christian> anywhere.

Google or ftp search tools find most things fairly quickly - this is a
five-second search result.

http://kdecvs.stud.fh-heilbronn.de/cvsweb/kdesupport/giflib30/

  >> You should get some good old book and learn some basics of unix
  >> system usage and development first, and only then hunt for
  >> bleeding edge productivity tools for programming.

  Christian> Yes I'd like to buy that book, but how without money, and
  Christian> the library is far away.  My sources are the internet. So
  Christian> reference me to some sites.

www.linuxdoc.org has most things referenced online.

Cheers,
Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do

------------------------------

From: Jack Hannon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GnomeDateEdit Widget - Locale Specific Display
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 10:26:52 -0400

I want to use the GnomeDateEdit Widget for selecting dates in my
application.  If I change the locale, the pop-up calander is correctly
displayed for the locale.  The date is always displayed in MM/DD/YYYY
format, however, rather than per the default date format for the locale.

I am trying to determine if there is any way to have the date displayed
in the widget  account for the current locale.

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks
Jack

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.development.apps) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Development-Apps Digest