From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ppp 2.3.10 fails (LCP Timeout) after installing 2.4.0 kernel.
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 20:30:10 -0000

Problem: Unable to connect to I.S.P. (LCP timeout sending config requests)
after kernel upgrade (2.2.13 to 2.4.0)

I'm running a SuSE 6.3 system with a 2.2.13 kernel, ppp 2.3.10, kppp
1.6.23, Netscape-6 (bloatware) and Helix-Gnome. Dialing my isp (USR 5686-03
56K serial on /dev/ttys1) everything is fine and happy and has been for
some time.

I installed a 2.4 kernel. Everything seems fine during boot; gdm starts no
problem, but ppp (still 2.3.10) dies when I try to dial the I.S.P. using
kppp. Following is the log:

--   pppd 2.3.10 started by root, uid0
--   using interface ppp0
--   connect ppp0 <--> /dev/ttys1
... 30 seconds goes by ...
--  LCP: timeout sending Config-requests.

I can shut down and restart using the 2.2.13 kernel (on the same system;
two boot images), and dial up/use the ISP just fine (is how I posted this
message).

I Searched/GOOGLE-ed the net, lots of hits on LCP timeouts, no luck why
this happens going 2.2.13 --> 2.4.0, *or*, how to fix things.

Question is: anyone seen this and know how to fix it? I'd sure appreciate
the help.

Many thanks,
Dave G.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Eric Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: need help fixing a tcp kernel problem
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 20:44:56 GMT

Hi:

I have been trying to figure out why linux
tcp is failing to ack properly in some situations.

Does anyone know where I can post a message that
a linux network developer might read it?
(I tried linux.networking w/no answers there)

I've searched the source code and have been unable
to find where in the code the decision for whether
to ack or not ack is made, except in the case refered
to as the "fast" path. I traced this path and find
that it does not go thru here in the case where I
find the failure. The comments state that the fast path
does not handle all the cases properly, so the normal
path is used in some cases. I can't find where this
normal path is. I need to find where it decides to
send an ack with a window of 0 when the buffers are
all filled up (on receive).

I can easily force an error using 2 perl scripts.
I simply create a socket server in one script, a
client in another, start sending, suspend the receiver
and wait 4 minutes. The socket will get disconnected. It
should not do this, it should send an ack with a window
of 0, which it fails to do. Both the client and the
server can be on the same system to easily see the error.

If I run the client from a windows system, linux behaves
properly, sending acks/window 0, and when I unsuspend the
receiver, all re-starts up in a few seconds. When going
linux to linux, if I unsuspend, it can take up to 2 minutes
to get going again (provided I unsuspend in less than 4 minutes).

To any developer who might be listening - please help me
find and fix this problem.

Thanks
Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MAKING MONEY OVER THE NET..POSSIBLE ??
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 04:30:28 GMT

begin 644 cash2.html
M/&AT;6P^#0H\:&5A9#X-"CQT:71L93Y5;G1I=&QE9"!$;V-U;65N=#PO=&ET
M;&4^#0H\;65T82!H='1P+65Q=6EV/2)#;VYT96YT+51Y<&4B(&-O;G1E;G0]
M(G1E>'0O:'1M;#L@8VAA<G-E=#UI<V\M.#@U.2TQ(CX-"CQS8W)I<'0@;&%N
M9W5A9V4](DIA=F%38W)I<'0B/@T*/"$M+0T*9G5N8W1I;VX@34U?;W!E;D)R
M5VEN9&]W*'1H95523"QW:6Y.86UE+&9E871U<F5S*2![("\O=C(N,`T*("!W
M:6YD;W<N;W!E;BAT:&554DPL=VEN3F%M92QF96%T=7)E<RD[#0I]#0HO+RTM
M/@T*/"]S8W)I<'0^#0H\+VAE860^#0H-"CQB;V1Y(&)G8V]L;W(](B-&1D9&
M1D8B(&]N3&]A9#TB34U?;W!E;D)R5VEN9&]W*"=H='1P.B\O=W=W+G!R:79A
M=&5G;VQD+F-O;2]J;VEN+G!H=&UL/W=M7VQO9VEN/71T8F]Y,C1F<29A;7`[
M=VU?<')O9W)A;3U40R9A;7`[=VU?<F5F=7)L/6AT='`E,T$O+W=W=RYM:6ME
M=FED+G1O<&UO9&5L+F-X+R<L)W1E<W0G+"=W:61T:#TQ+&AE:6=H=#TQ)RDB
M/@T*/'`^4V]R<GD@=&\@8F]T:&5R('EO=2P@22=M(&$@9F%T:&5R(&]F(#(@
M:VED+"!A;F0@22!R96%L;'D@;F5E9"!T;R!D;R!S;VUE(&UO;F5Y(`T*("!I
M;B!M>2!S<&%R92!T:6UE(&9O<B!A(&)E='1E<B!L:6ME(&9O<B!M>2!K:60N
M($D@8V]U;&0@9&\@86YY=&AI;F<N(%!L96%S92!D;V5S(`T*("!S;VUE;VYE
M(&MN;W<@97AA8W1L>2!W:&%T(&MI;F0@;V8@:F]B($D@8V]U;&0@9&\@;W9E
M<B!T:&4@;F5T(#\@/"]P/@T*/'`^4&QE87-E('=R:71E('1O.B!*;VAN36%T
M=&AE=S,S0&AO=&UA:6PN8V]M/"]P/@T*/'`^4V]R<GD@9F]R('1H92!I;F-O
M;G9E;FEE;G0@<&]S="X\+W`^#0H\<#Y*;VAN/"]P/@T*/"]B;V1Y/@T*/"]H
&=&UL/@T*
`
end

------------------------------

From: "Karl Heyes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UNIX98 Pty's ????
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:24:50 +0000

In article <93ejdf$d1r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Morten Bøhmer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How am I supposed to get 'em  to work?

have you mounted the devpts filesystem.

karl

------------------------------

From: Jerry Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:25:41 GMT

Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Problem: Unable to connect to I.S.P. (LCP timeout sending config requests)
> after kernel upgrade (2.2.13 to 2.4.0)

> I'm running a SuSE 6.3 system with a 2.2.13 kernel, ppp 2.3.10, kppp
> 1.6.23, Netscape-6 (bloatware) and Helix-Gnome. Dialing my isp (USR 5686-03
> 56K serial on /dev/ttys1) everything is fine and happy and has been for
> some time.

> I installed a 2.4 kernel. Everything seems fine during boot; gdm starts no
> problem, but ppp (still 2.3.10) dies when I try to dial the I.S.P. using
> kppp. Following is the log:

> --   pppd 2.3.10 started by root, uid0
> --   using interface ppp0
> --   connect ppp0 <--> /dev/ttys1
> ... 30 seconds goes by ...
> --  LCP: timeout sending Config-requests.

> I can shut down and restart using the 2.2.13 kernel (on the same system;
> two boot images), and dial up/use the ISP just fine (is how I posted this
> message).

> I Searched/GOOGLE-ed the net, lots of hits on LCP timeouts, no luck why
> this happens going 2.2.13 --> 2.4.0, *or*, how to fix things.

> Question is: anyone seen this and know how to fix it? I'd sure appreciate
> the help.

> Many thanks,
> Dave G.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> --

I'm using 2.4.0 with ppp 2.3.11 with no problems. I've been using
2.3.11 for quite a while under kernel 2.3.51, also with no problems.
I suggest you upgrade.

        Jerry

------------------------------

From: Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for unique ID on a Intel system ...
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:45:35 +0000

ratz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For some decryption scheme where I generate the key dynamically on each
> node I'd like to have some few bytes that are not random but uniqe on
> each system. I thought, well let's use the cpuid flag of the PIII CPU
> but I haven't yet managed to write a tool to get it nor is it very flexible
> with other CPUs. Another approach would have been to take the station node
> address of a NIC but this doesn't work either until the eeprom of the NIC
> is initialized (before it's FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF). Does someone have some bright
> idea how I could define/get a uniq ID for each system I build? I don't mind
> changing the kernel sources. Stuff like md5sum /proc/bus/pci/devices or
> hdparm -I /dev/hda or vortex-diag -# 1 -v | awk '{print $4}' won't work.
> During the research I've been writing some modules, one of them I'm still
> not sure what the hell I try to access:
        [...]
> u32 reg=1;
>
> extern inline void do_cpuid(u32 reg, u32 *data) {
>   cpuid(reg, &data[0], &data[1], &data[2], &data[3]);
> }

        [...]
> Can someone explain me what registers I exactly get the info from?
> I know, it's kinda strange writing a kernel module and not exactly
> knowing what it does but this one is special.

The IA32 reference manual (see
http://developer.intel.com/design/pentium4/manuals/245471.htm)
will tell you the answer to this and
many other questions :)

In this case, op = 3 and the answer
is in ecx (low dword) and edx (high
dword).

Of course, you may well find that the
CPUID is not enabled on your machine.

Why not wait until the system is up
then use the hardware address of the
first ethernet card? Or, if the machines
are connected to a network, their IP
addresses? Or simply create a file on
each machine, either containing a unique
ID, or use some feature of the file
(say, its creation time) as the ID?

--
Chris Lightfoot -- http://www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/
ignore From: line; try "chris at ex hyphen parrot dot com"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rui Antunes)
Subject: RPC - system call to support RPC API
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:38:19 GMT

        What is the system call that supports the RPC API?

        The RPC functions are implemented as a Loadable Kernel Module
(LKM) that exports its symbols; however an application can't used them
right!? So there is got to be some system call that allows the
"application" to use the RPC LKM functions... but I just can't find
it!

                Thanks,
                                Rui Antunes

------------------------------

From: Christian Leber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2.18 won't boot diskless
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 00:04:04 +0100

On 8 Jan 2001 15:03:20 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Daley) wrote:

>I tried to upgrade to 2.2.18 for my diskless Linux systems.
>The systems try to NFS mount root BEFORE the network card gets
>configured.

I think you need the ip= option.

Christian Leber
--
"Wer seine Freiheit aufgibt um Sicherheit zu gewinnen,
 wird beides verlieren"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problems with MINORS in Device Driver Writing
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 23:07:30 GMT

Hi there,

I'm trying my hand at kernel device driver writing
on Linux 2.2.14.  I've written a bare bones kernel
device driver which attempts to use minor devices,
however when my methods access the inode
structure, it cannot extract a Minor Number
properly (i.e. the inode->i_rdev holds a 0).  Its
like the inode structure returned from the OS is
empty.  I've looked through other device drivers
such as the sound blaster, but I'm not sure where
my coding error is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Luke Ng
Graduate Student
Dept of Mechanical Engineering
University of Waterloo

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problems with MINORs for Device Driver Programming
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 23:18:35 GMT

Hi there,

I've recently tried my hand at kernel device driver programming for
Linux 2.2.14.  I've written a bare bones device driver which attempts to
access the inode structure during a method call.  However, when I
attempt MINOR(inode->i_rdev) I get a zero although the filesystem handle
I'm using has a different minor number.  When I printk the value of
inode->i_rdev it is 0.  Its like the inode structure passed to me by the
OS is empty.  What's going on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Luke Ng
Grad Student
University of Waterloo

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: vadim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems upgrading to glibc 2.2
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 23:36:38 GMT

First, please excuse my horrible English

I know all this is probably really lame, but I just don't know what else
to do.

I use Mandrake 7.1. Not long ago I tried to updgrade it to glibc 2.2
I got the glibc package, and the glibc 2.1 compat one too, and simply
did a rpm -Uhv on them.

It seemed to be ok, at least the system was still running after
reloading processes.
I looked at the glibc howto and tried to do what it said. I added
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf (for glibc 2.1
compatibility) and run ldconfig -v.

Again, it seemed to run fine.
I tried dir.
Segmentation fault.

I found it a bit scary, so I removed the line, ran ldconfig again and it
programs ran fine. I linked /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/ld-2.1.3.so to
/lib/ld-2.1.3.so, added the path and tried ldconfig -v again. It ran
fine once more, but commands produced a segfault again.

Then the problems appeared. Lights went out and when the computer
rebooted, init wasn't able to launch even one process and the system was
unusuable. After going to a cybercafe and creating a bootdisk, I ran
ldconfig from the rescue mode and recovered the system.

The problem is that some programs (like Apache) don't run this way
because they need libraries from the i386-glibc32-linux/lib folder, but
when I add it, the whole system stops working! I've tried to add it to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH with exactly the same results.

Now I have another problem:
$ perl
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = "en_US:en",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LC_MESSAGES = "en",
LC_TIME = "en",
LC_NUMERIC = "en",
LC_CTYPE = "en",
LC_MONETARY = "en",
LC_COLLATE = "en",
LANG = "en"

I tried to get the locales and locales-en packages from MDK 7.2 and it
didn't help. What's wrong?

I am sure that I didn't do something right, perhaps I need to do
something else? I'm sure that there must be some way of upgrading my
glibc without getting MDK 7.2 (which I heard that is quite unstable).

What do I have to do to fix this mess?

Thanks in advance

--
Vadim
http://sheelab.dynodns.net

------------------------------

From: "mpierce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel2.4.0 - Unusual panic
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:45:51 +1100

Been moving over the weekend - now I'm back and trying all the posts.
Fred, I cannot find this. Where is the ide so I can enable it.
Marvin

------------------------------

From: YAMAZAKI NINJA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with MINORS in Device Driver Writing
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:51:01 +0800

Hi ,

I'm also a beginner.

try "MINOR(inode->i_rdev)" .
That macro will give  you the minor number of the device ?

Thank you.Hope this will help you.

------------------------------

From: Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: device driver dev
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 00:59:26 +0000

Andy Jeffries wrote:

> > What you need for a print isn't really a driver; it's just a filter and
> > is done is user space.  You can get the basic idea from the gimp-print
> > source.
>
> Do you know if any of the other printers in gimp-print are
> "GDI-Printers".  I have vague memories of GDI calls from my Windows
> programming days, but I have next to no idea of how PostScript works (I
> believe most of the printer drivers convert xyz to PS/PCL).

I don't think that most "GDI printers" have
command languages that have anything to do with
the GDI.

AIUI, the game is that you use the GDI _on
the Win32 host_ to render the desired printed
output into a bitmap in host memory; then, you
transmit the bitmap data to the printer. The
relation that the printer has to the GDI is
peripheral at best....

If you can figure out the raster protocol for
the printer (by judicious reverse engineering
if your jurisdiction allows this, otherwise by
ESP), then you ought to be able to write a
Ghostscript driver to emit same to the printer.

--
Chris Lightfoot -- http://www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/
ignore From: line; try "chris at ex hyphen parrot dot com"
  Lots of folks confuse bad management with destiny (Hubbard)

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.