Hi

Trent Piepho schrieb:

>>> My fmd1216 patch will have the tuner init function send {0xdd, 0xa0} to the
>>> tuner.  That will set the agc value (byte AB) to 0xa0, the same thing.
>>>
>> That's new for me. But if the data go to the upper bytes first, you are
>> right.
>
> The way the PLL works is that if the first bit of data sent is a 1, then
> the next two bytes are CB+BB (or CB+AB).  If the first bit is a 0, then the
> next two bytes are the divisor bytes.  You can send the divisor first then
> the control bytes (as dvb-pll does), or the control bytes first and then
> the divisor bytes.  Or just the control bytes, or just divisor bytes.
>
> If you look in the v4l tuner module, there is a special case hack to send
> the divisor first or second depending on if the new frequency is less than
> or greater than the old frequency.

I found the datasheet. Right, its documented there (but was new for me).

>>> Anyway, I don't think the frequency is valid either:
>>>
>>> divisor = 0x0bdc, ratio bits = 1,1 = 62.5 kHz, so freq = 189.75 MHz
>>> But, BB = 0x54, which is analog mode HIGH band.  189.75 MHz would be in the
>>> LOW band.  (remember to subtract the IF frequency to compare to the
>>> bandswitch points used in the code)
>>>
>> Ratio bits are 1,0 so 167kHz. But i don't think ath this is so important..
>
> No, they are 1,1.
>
> CB is 0x86 = 1 0 000 11 0
>              ^ identifies this as the control bytes
>              ^ selects low charge pump current
>                ^^^ sets the test mode to "normal" mode
>                    ^^ Ratio select 1,1 = 62.5 kHz
>                       ^ Turn the tuning voltage on

I was in the wrong area, sorry. I had 0x9c in mind.

>>> How does that happen?  I figured P4 just changed the SAW filters, but it
>>> enables/disables the tda9887 too?
>>>
>> I have no idea why and how this is done, i just observed that...
>
> I wonder if this is a problem for the v4l tuner module.  If one doesn't
> start and then stop the dvb frontend before using analog, how does the
> tda9887 get turned on?

It is a BIG problem. The tuner initialization code turns the tda9886 on,
but now things depend on the module initialization order whether the tda
is found or not. I haven't used my board in analog mode after the tda9887
merge but things look like it doesn't work any more :-(
Unfortunately i know about at least one board that needs the opposite
load order.

>>> The documentation for the Infineon TUA6034 should be easy to find if you
>>> don't have it.  It's pretty clear that you don't need to send the divisor
>>> bytes each time.  You can just send CB+BB or in this case CB+AB.  And I've
>>> verified that indeed you can set the AGC values with just two bytes.
>>>
>> If this is the used PLL chip, i should have a look.
>> Did you check whether it is allowed to cut off the lo?
>
> I've been told that the fmd1216 uses the TUA6034.  But in this case it
> doesn't really matter, all these I2C PLLs work this way.  I have an 11 year
> old datasheet for a Philips tuner, and it's the same way.
>
>> Ack
>> I'd like to proceed this way:
>> - first i correct the bug in the sleep function.
>> - When your changes in dvb-pll are in mainstream, i will adapt the code in
>>   saa7134-dvb. (you might decide to kick me)
>>
>> OK?
>
> My plan was to come up with a patch that converted all the users of fmd1216
> at once.

Ok, less work for me.

Hartmut