Michael Krufky wrote:
> Oliver Endriss wrote:
> > Michael Krufky wrote:

> > Agreed.

> > Afaics the demod driver cannot fill fe->ops.info.frequency_min|max using
> > fe->ops.tuner_ops.info.frequency_min|max, because the tuner driver will
> > be attached _after_ the demod driver (see budget-av.c for example).
> >
> >> The way I see it, the demod driver that doesn't have a separate tuner
> >> driver
> >> should just go ahead and fill ops.tuner_ops.info.frequency_min|max ,
> >> because
> >> otherwise those fields will be there anyway, just remaining empty.  Those
> >> structures are not pointers, and we should always be able to rely on their
> >> presence.
> >>
> >> There is no need for BOTH ops.info.frequency_min|max AND
> >> ops.tuner_ops.info.frequency_min|max
> >
> > The following drivers set ops.tuner_ops.info.frequency_min|max:
> > dvb-pll, mt2060, qt1010, tda826x, tda827x, tua6100.
> >
> > All other drivers use ops.info.frequency_min|max.
> >
> > What about this:
> > dvb_frontend.c shall use ops.tuner_ops.info.frequency_min|max if
> > non-zero. Otherwise it would continue to use ops.info.frequency_min|max.
>
> That's fine with me... except I just don't see why we shouldn't just have the
> demod drivers that have the integrated tuning functionality just fill
> tuner_ops.info.frequency_max|min anyway.  The point is, the structures will be
> present regardless of whether any tuner_ops are actually filled.  This is an
> opportunity to remove the frequency_min|max from the demod ops.info structure,
> as we all agree that it is inappropriate there anyhow.  If we do this, then we
> will have a standard across the board.

That's fine if we agree that we have to touch most frontend drivers.

If we choose to do that, we should remove ops.info.frequency_min|max,
i.e. remove 'struct dvb_frontend_info' from 'struct frontend_ops' and
add something like 'struct dvb_demod_info' instead.

We must not modify 'struct dvb_frontend_info' because it is an API data
structure.

Afaics 'frequency_stepsize' can be substituted by 'frequency_step',
but what should we do with 'frequency_tolerance'?

CU
Oliver