On Thursday 12 June 2008 11:23:19 Tim Bird wrote:
> David Woodhouse wrote:
> > I don't think that's true, unfortunately. Autoconf makes it _easy_ to do
> > the wrong thing, and people will often introduce new problems.
>
> If autoconf is the problem (and I think it is), then that's what
> should be fixed (see my original post).  At a minimum, it would be
> nice if it had more built-in detection and warning of techniques
> that were dangerous for cross-compilation.

If autoconf is currently too complicated for people to use correctly,
complicating it more probably isn't the answer.  (Down that path lies C++.)

> Paul Mundt wrote:
> > You can
> > either try to fix the packages in question, convince the package
> > developers to rip out the parts that cause trouble for your environment,
> > fix your own build environment to meet the needs of the packages, or
> > whine about it on a mailing list. Empirically we already know which one
> > of those options is going to win out. ;-)
>
> LOL.  Well, at least Rob has put his money where his mouth is (so to
> speak) with Firmware Linux.  The chance that I'll do anything but whine
> about autoconf is slim indeed...  I'll shut up now!

Um, actually Eric Raymond and I have had long talks about this, and if we're
ever in the same state for more than 3 days we may finally get to do a
serious research project about the successors to ./configure and make.

He recently converted Battle for Wesnoth to use something called "scons" as
its build system, and apparently the resulting make stuff was 1/17th the size
of the original.  You'd have to ask him for details, though...

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.