On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Michael Welling <mwell...@ieee.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 03:16:06PM +0900, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 10:15 PM, Linus Walleij
>> <linus.wall...@linaro.org> wrote:

> I may have opened this can of worms so I figured I should chime in.
>
> The context switches probably of more concern than string conversion.

I concur that point.

>> > Since sysfs has a "one value per file" paradigm, it also has a
>> > "one context switch per operation" paradigm, meaning any
>> > efficiency-oriented use cases where a lot of stuff needs to be
>> > changed in one context switch are by the very construction
>> > not suitable for sysfs IMO. That is the use case for ioctl()
>> > operations that can pass an entire struct of stuff over.
>> >
>> > And things like bit-banging a clock+data line which would in
>> > a sysfs case involve two context switches (one per value, since
>> > that is one file per GPIO line) in an ioctl() case it would be
>> > just one, already 50% less context switches for a very basic
>> > use case.
>>
>> These are absolutely legitimate concerns, but couldn't the desired
>> result be achieved using an interface like this (warning: raw and
>> dirty draft):
>>
>>     cd /sys/class/gpio
>>     echo "gpiochip0:12 gpiochip0:13 gpiochip1:7 lcd_gpios" >export   #
>> exports GPIOs 12 and 13 of chip0 and 7 of chip 1 under the node
>> "lcd_gpios"
>>     echo 5 >lcd_gpios/value # sets gpiochip0:12 and gpiochip1:7
>>
>> ... or we could request the user to export each GPIO individually,
>> then have a "group" node allowing to create a group of GPIOs from
>> already-exported ones. This idea might actually work better as it
>> would allow finer control over the properties of individual GPIO (e.g.
>> active-low status).
>>

> It may be beneficial and easier to perform the grouping in the device tree.
> Then the system could come up with the groups pre-exported in /sys/class/gpio.
>
> The GPIOs would be self consumed like with the proposed pin hogging mechanism
> but then available as a single group in the sysfs layer.
>
> What do you guys think?

That's tempting as a convenience, but since there are many obscure
use-cases involving GPIOs I'd like to have a more generic and flexible
way before anything else. Not all GPIO users are backed by
device-tree.

>> I understand that even this way sysfs might be slower than a character
>> device, but when you need that level of performance don't you just
>> need a dedicated driver? The ioctls might also get complex as it also
>> needs to be able to set all the GPIO properties.
>>
>> Independently of this issue, I think it would be worth to create
>> alternative "export" nodes at the chip-level, like the pwm subsystem
>> has:
>>
>>     pwm/pwmchip0/export
>>     pwm/pwmchip0/pwm1
>>     pwm/pwmchip0/pwm1/duty_cycle
>>
>> This is much saner and would provide a sysfs interface that does not
>> rely on the global GPIO numberspace, which cannot be relied upon as
>> shown by countless evidence.
>>
>> IMHO this is needed regardless of whether we decide to provide a
>> character device as well, so I thought we might also add the ability
>> to set multiple GPIOs in one call to it. Maintaining two user-space
>> ABIs (sysfs and char device) sounds a little bit overkill for
>> something as simple as GPIOs.
>
> Perhaps an ioctl would be overkill seeing as the right way to emulate a bus
> or whatever timing critical would be in a kernel driver.
>
> String conversion sucks but I could deal with it if more IOs were acessible
> with a single system call.

It really comes down to how user-space wants to access GPIOs. I
suspect the majority of sysfs accesses is done by scripts and other
simple programs. If we introduce a char device that takes requires
ioctls, it is then customary to add a small user-space library to
abstract that (for both convenience and safety - think libdrm). Do we
want to maintain libgpio? If not, aren't we going to frustrate users
who will wonder why on earth they need to use an ioctl just to change
the value of a GPIO?

sysfs requires to manipulate and sometimes build strings indeed, but
as Michael pointed out this is a neglectible overhead and it is much
more accessible. open, write, close, you're done.