Hello Arno, hello all,

> > My proposal:
> >
> > 1. The AX.25-HOWTO (maybe renamed to AX.25-Hardware-
> > HOWTO)
> >
> > -contains the setup of the AX.25 kernel subsystem
> > -contains the setup of the drivers
> >
> > -does NOT contain that whole bunch of examples any more, these
> > are moved to the
> >
> > 2. AX.25-Software-HOWTO
> >
> > -contains the basic application setup
> > -contains hints on available Packet Radio Software for Linux
> > (Terminal programs, BBSs etc.) - the HAM HOWTO could be
> > disburdened a little bit
> > -contains sample configurations to help installing the software
> > -contains explanations of common pitfalls when using Linux AX.25
> > software
> >
> > -AND ALSO contains some docomentation to the AX.25
> > programming interface as long as it is Linux specific.

> I like this better than splitting it into three.
> But why split it? The only reason I can think of is maintainability. To
> me it only makes sense if the AX25-HARDWARE-HOWTO and
> AX.25-Software-HOWTO would have two different maintainers.

The ease of maintaining is not the only reason. The current version
of the German AX.25-HOWTO I am working on is a document of
more than 300 kB in size. It simply becomes too big.
The other reason is that AX.25 software should have its very own
place of HOWTO-like documentation. AFAIK this is not the case at
the moment, but there are a lot of frequently asked questions for
that kind of software, though, that should be covered in an easy-to-
read, short and precise way.
And, at least, there's a problem for one single person that deals
with something like different software packages in his spare time:
He would under no circumstance be able to know everything about
every single software that should be mentioned in a Software-
HOWTO.
So, a Software-HOWTO preferrably should be a teamwork where
everyone can participate who is very familiar with a certain
program. Maybe the best solution is a separate chapter for every
program with its own maintainer and contributors.

Cheers, 73

Gerd