On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 08:16:53PM +1200, Andrew Sands wrote:
> There was minor discussion on the possibility of a generic rig-control API
> during the discourse about the creation of a linux/unix based logging
> program suite?
> As I have the opportunity to have access to some computer controllable rigs
> on behalf of their owner whom is currently upgrading his shack, I thought
> this a suitable time to put some free(ish) time into producing a reasonable
> result.

I'm still interested. I haven't done anything on it though.
I can contribute code for the FT-847, and perhaps ICOM as well
(although I'll probably sell my ICOM soon).

I had a few thoughts on the topic.. Radios have lots of different
capabilities so the API should probably have a way to find out what
capabilities are available.

For example, my FT-847 has satellite mode, and you can read the S-meter
over the CAT interface. It has two VFOs but you can't switch VFOs
through software. It has 1Hz tuning but only 10Hz resolution over CAT.
It has all bands 160m through 70cm, and has CW and CW-R modes.

My IC-726 has no satellite mode and no S-meter command, but you can
switch between the two VFOs over the CI-V interface. It has HF and 6m,
but switching between HF and 6m is a bit of an artform. It has 10Hz
tuning steps and can be controlled down to 10Hz on the interface.
It only has CW mode (LSB) with no reverse.

Some ideas. The library could read a config file which listed
which radios were connected to which serial ports. Application
software could get a list of connected radios that way, and find
out what capabilities they had.

A few basic commands should be supported on all radios -- get/set
frequency and mode, probably nothing more is completely standard.
(Early firmware on the FT-847 didn't have any read back at all!
Most of those got upgraded though.)

Memory handling would be quite complicated and IMHO low priority.
If made generic enough I suppose the API could work with memory
programming for VHF/UHF FM rigs as well.

Just a few random thoughts,

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>