Linux-Hardware Digest #73, Volume #9             Thu, 31 Dec 98 13:13:29 EST

Contents:
  Xwin manager multi choice menu ("Daminou")
  PCI Modems under S.u.S.E Linux ("Emma")
  Incorrect on a Siemens Primergy 150 (Marc Dilasser)
  Re: Lilo & Co ... (Andre Bossard)
  Adaptec 1510 support (Alan Gauld)
  Re: need to take action on the Winmodem problem (mlw)
  Re: PCI Modems under S.u.S.E Linux (Rob Clark)
  Win 98 PCMCIA -> Linux no more PCMCIA... (Geoffroy Magnan)
  Re: External Modem Question. (Stephen Jenuth)
  parport/ppa problem with 2.2.0pre1 (Allin Cottrell)
  Re: RedHAt 5.1 and Canon BJC4300 printing (Gregory G. Woodbury)
  Re: SoundBlaster Live! (Bennie Venter)
  Re: Color driver for Canon BJC-250? (Gregg Berg)
  Re: Win 98 PCMCIA -> Linux no more PCMCIA... (Harald Anlauf)
  Re: need to take action on the Winmodem problem (Jeffrey Bridge)
  AWE32 PnP & RedHat 5.2 ("Alex Kuzan")
  Travan NS20 tape drives? (Stephan Loescher)
  External 3Com ISDN modem ("Jeff Folkert")
  Re: Xwin manager multi choice menu (Andre Bossard)
  Travan TR2 Floppy tape backup troubles (Paul Nevin)

From: "Daminou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Xwin manager multi choice menu
Date: 31 Dec 1998 12:53:31 GMT

Hi all

Is there a way (with a window menu) right after the login,password entry
(xdb)
to choose between different Xwin manager ?

Thanx

        Damien

------------------------------

From: "Emma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCI Modems under S.u.S.E Linux
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:56:48 -0000

Can anyone help?

I am a linux novice and I have a Rockwell RSS800 HCF 56K Data, Fax PCI Modem
which works fine under Win98 and NT 4, but I cant get it to work under
S.u.S.E Linux 5.2. I know it works in my machine, as it triple boots between
Win 98, NT 4 and linux. Also I can get older 28.8k external modems to work
under linux without any problems.

Does anyone have one of these modems, or is it a "winmodem"?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:24:42 +0100
From: Marc Dilasser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Incorrect on a Siemens Primergy 150

Hardware : SIEMENS Primergy 150, 3 SCSI disks,1 DAT Tape.
OS : Linux SuSE 5.3 Fr
The date and hour grow very slowly (2H30 for 14 days).
Try to invalidate APM in the Bios, it's the same.
The date and hour seems to grow normaly when working on the machine.
When the machine is rebooted, the date and hour are correct, the Bios
timer seems OK.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Marc

------------------------------

From: Andre Bossard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Lilo & Co ...
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:46:15 +0000

> I'm searching for a web site where i can
> find any documentation on how to
> install Linux (RH5.2) with a multi boot (lilo)

Hi D
Look at www.linux.org
Else search for loadlin for dos. It's also good as a multi-boot

------------------------------

From: Alan Gauld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adaptec 1510 support
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 11:56:17 +0000

I'm trying to find the SCSI HowTo

It doesn't seem to be listed on the HowTo index at:

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html

I need to know if the Adaptec 1510 SCSI card is usable on Linux
I'm running Red Hat 5.1

I also have a Symbios SCSI card which came with my HP scanner
but can't get it recognised either. Any hints and tips?

I really need the scanner and currently its the only thing
I need to jump into W95 for :-(

Alan G.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: need to take action on the Winmodem problem
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:06:55 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[snipped becuase quoting it does no justice]
Wow a great argument! To the point and very well done.

I largely agree with what you wrote, with a few footnotes:

ISA Winmodems can suck a *lot* of CPU time becuase of the ISA bus hit.
The newer PCI Win modems are better at this. Regardless of what CPU
spead you use, an ISA I/O dialog will bring your screaming CPU to a
virtual halt.

I have seen Winmodems in action vs standard modems, there is a
perceptable difference, even in the fastest of machines.

I think we can make the 3COM's of the world help us, Linux is roughly 10
Million users, though not large in the big picture, it is still a market
to be capitalized.

What happens when these Winmodems need to run in Windows 2K? (I still
think it should be called Windows 2001, because of HAL)

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: PCI Modems under S.u.S.E Linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:15:38 GMT

In article <76fsd5$nqf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Emma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am a linux novice and I have a Rockwell RSS800 HCF 56K Data, Fax PCI Modem
..
>Does anyone have one of these modems, or is it a "winmodem"?

Yes, it's probably a Winmodem.  The HCF stands for host-controller, i.e.
there is hardware missing on the card that is replaced by Windows
software.

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: Geoffroy Magnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Win 98 PCMCIA -> Linux no more PCMCIA...
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:56:56 +0100

Using both Win 98 and Linux (RedHat 5.2), we have a problem with our
PCMCIA ports :

we use them under windows and they work fine... the device used to
recognize the cards take control of both port. But this control doesn't
stop when we reboot and launch Linux : result : we are unable to use
PCMCIA sockets and the Ethernet card within.

We found a solution : hard reboot, but we are looking for another
solution...

If anyone has an idea... let us know !

From: Stephen Jenuth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: External Modem Question.
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 15:09:48 GMT

M. Buchenrieder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Dae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: [...]

:>I guess what I'm wondering is is it true, or will any external modem
:>work with Linux?

: [...]

: All external modems will work with Linux, as they are connected to a real
: serial port. However, not all functions may be useable due to chipset
: limitations. E.g., mgetty will only allow faxing with class2 faxmodems,
: which are hard to find these days (most vendors use the cheaper but more
: proprietary class1 standard). And Rockwell RPI modems use a very weird
: "standard", though they should at least be useable somehow. They aren't
: manufactured anymore, IIRC .

Even Class1 modems are not terribly hard to set up. I use a combination
of mgetty and efax which works pretty well. It was a bit of a pain to
set up, but after that it was pretty smooth sailing.

Best regards,

Stephen Jenuth
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Allin Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: parport/ppa problem with 2.2.0pre1
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 09:52:18 -0500

I have been using a parallel-port zipdrive with kernel 2.0.36
with no problem.  Now I'm trying to use it with 2.2.0-pre1,
using parport to get access to both the zipdrive and the printer.
The printer is working (after shifting it from lp1 to lp0, in
printcap), but the zipdrive is not.

1. Install parport_pc module -
  pc10 kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [SPP,PS2]

2. But then -
  pc10 automount[88]: attempting to mount entry /mnt/zip
  pc10 automount[1277]: do_mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip type msdos
     options (null) using module generic
  pc10 automount[1277]: >> mount: the kernel does not recognize
     /dev/sda4 as a block device

3. I notice the ppa module is not loaded, and try loading it
  manually -
  pc10 kernel: ppa: Found device at ID 6,
     Attempting to use EPP 32 bit
  pc10 kernel: ppa: Found device at ID 6,
     Attempting to use PS/2
  pc10 kernel: ppa: Unable to establish communication,
     aborting driver load.
  pc10 kernel: scsi : 0 hosts.

TIA for any suggestions.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory G. Woodbury)
Subject: Re: RedHAt 5.1 and Canon BJC4300 printing
Date: 31 Dec 1998 11:41:08 -0500

Christophe MICHEL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>-----------------------
>    I am desperately trying to print out at something with my redhat station
>onto my Canon BJC4300 but nothiung ever comes out of it except crude text.
>
>    My kernel is hopefully configured for parallel printer and Printer tool
>is configured for Canon BJC 600 - BJC 4000 Unfortunately no BJC4300
>compatible driver seems to be available.
>
>    Has someone ever succeeded in printing something except text with a
>Redhat 5.1 AND a Canon BJC 4300. If so, please tell me how you did, what are
>your configuration files ans so on..

        I finally got my BJC-4400 to work by editing the postscript.cfg
file in the /var/spool/lp* tree and commenting out the color descriptor.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury   `-_-'         Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us      U

------------------------------

From: Bennie Venter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster Live!
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 17:19:54 +0200

Karl Buck wrote:

> Igor_T wrote:
> >
> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > I have the same problem and  as far as I know SB Live! is not compatible
> > with SB16 or AWE 64/128. For Windows9x it is comes with driver which
> > emulates SB16 for DOS programs.
> > [...]
>
> Yes, I've been watching the OSS website; supposedly, there is a driver
> in the works, but it looks like it is still a long way from seeing use:
> http://www.opensound.com/osshw.html
>
> The Live! card is really nice; I hope the support comes sooner than
> later. --Karl

Sad thing about this card, the driver will be in binary format only.  EMU
which developed the DSP on the card required Creative to sign a NDA for the
details for the EMU10K1 DSP.... Really bad....

Tnx & Bi
Bennie Venter

------------------------------

From: Gregg Berg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Color driver for Canon BJC-250?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 16:21:25 GMT

JohnD132 wrote:

> Is there a color driver available for the Canon BJC-250?
> I have RH 5.2.  Printtool lists a BJ-100/200/210/240 which works fine but
> doesn't support color.  If I try to use the BJC-600 driver I get a rangecheck
> in .putdeviceprops when printing postscript.  I have ghostscript 4.03.
> Do I need to yell at Canon about releasing programming information for this
> printer?
> Thanks,
> John

Check out the Aladdin GhostScipt version 5.10.

I'm using it to drive a Cannon 4300 successfully using a BJC800 defintion.
I beleive that there is a Cannon 250 driver.

Regards,
Gregg Berg

(h) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(w) [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Harald Anlauf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win 98 PCMCIA -> Linux no more PCMCIA...
Date: 31 Dec 1998 16:09:51 +0100

Geoffroy Magnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Using both Win 98 and Linux (RedHat 5.2), we have a problem with our
> PCMCIA ports :
>
> we use them under windows and they work fine... the device used to
> recognize the cards take control of both port. But this control doesn't
> stop when we reboot and launch Linux : result : we are unable to use
> PCMCIA sockets and the Ethernet card within.
>
> We found a solution : hard reboot, but we are looking for another
> solution...
>
> If anyone has an idea... let us know !

Same here.  Seems to be a Win98 Feature.

BTW: did you try to eject the card before rebooting?

--
Ciao,
-ha

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey Bridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 11:21:11 -0600

Günther Wieser wrote:

> [...]
> > of thinking they blast from the Microsoft camp for.  The Windows people say
> > "if it's not made for Windows it doesn't matter because only these freaks who
> > use Linux want it".  Now it seems the Linux people ae starting to say "if it
> > is made for Windows users it doesn't matter because its made for those money
> > hungry, monolopistic, M$ people".  Very interesting how times have changed.
> >
> > 2. OEM's are definetly using WinModems more and more...and I would not be
> > suprised if 4 out of 5 WIN98 PC's out there have WinModems in them.  Why is
> > this important for Linux?  2 reasons.  One is pretty simply, people buy these
> > boxes, delete WIN98 and install Linux.  The other is the bigger problem for
> > Linux IMHO.  That is "most" Linux users seem to start out with older PC's
> > (read as 2 plus year old).  What happenes in 2 or 3 years when all these
> > "old" PC's have WinModems?  Do you really expect the Linux beginner to either
> > know the modem is a WinModem and therefore won't work -or- go buy a new modem
> > just so he can "try" this great new OS?
> >
> > 3.  This is the HUGE problem IMO.  I belive people get more fustrated with
> > modem/WinModem problems than any otehr issue with Linux.  If they can't get
> > to the Internet they get REALLY pissy and are very likely to drop Linux and
> > groups.  By far the largest amount of questions are regarding modems and PPP
> > connections. Do we (the Linux camp) really want people switching back to
> > Windows just because they have a WinModem?
> >
> > What can be done?  Well, getting support for Linux from a 3Com and having
> > them supply Linux drivers for WinModems would be a HUGE step in the right
> > direction.  But I suggest that anyone willing to go down the road of getting
> > 3Com to do this send email to the MARKETING/SALES office....NOT Tech.
> > Support.  Mention things like the millions of Linux users out there, and the
> > dollars that could be made by becoming the "default Linux Modem Company".
> > The one thing Linux could learn more than anything else is that, like it or
> > not,  Marketing/Business people make decisions that can correct this problem
> > - not technical people. This is something we all seem to forget.
> >
> > BTW, I sent a email to 3Com tech support on my problems with a jumperless
> > modem (not a WinModem) and Linux and got very little response.  I sent the
> > same complait to the sales office and they swapped me a "jumpered" modem
> > within a few days.  It can be done.  3Com will listen.  You just have to get
> > to the people making the business decisions.
> >
> > I really believe this is a business/comsumer issue more than a technical
> > issue.

> > http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own
>
> --
> Günther Wieser
> creative-it/Günther Wieser Software KEG
> http://www.creative-it.com
> Student of Telematik at Graz University of Technology
> In A World Without Walls And Fences, Who Needs Windows And Gates?

Linux is a large, collaborative effort, carried out USING THE INTERNET. There is
no way it can survive without it......

Tilde,
Jeffrey :j

------------------------------

From: "Alex Kuzan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AWE32 PnP & RedHat 5.2
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 17:11:25 +0100

I just recently installed RedHat 5.2 on my box and I wanted to get my AWE 32
PnP to work on it the way it used to, since it worked fine. But I can't get
it to work, I can listen to Audio CD's but whenever I try to play an Mp3
file (through X11amp, or Kmp3 under KDE 1.0) the computer locks up totally.
When I tried to install the card with sndconfig, it gave me an error message
saying that I have to add the line (VERIFYLD N) to the /etc/isapnp.conf
file. So I did that and sndconfig successfully played the sample with
L.torwalds like it alsways does. Everything seemed ok, as I said, but it
still lockes up everytime I try to play an mp3. I also tried to pnpdump the
thing and reconfigure it from scratch, but it still crashes...

Pleaze help me I'm clueless on what to do!!!

Thanx

Al

------------------------------

From: Stephan Loescher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.periphs,comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Travan NS20 tape drives?
Date: 31 Dec 1998 16:02:22 +0100

Hi!

Has anyone a Travan NS20 tape drive?
Any experiences?
Which one should I buy?
Tandberg: http://www.tandberg.com/products/ns20_pro.html
Tecmar:   http://www.tecmar.com/product/travan/travan20/travan20.html
Aiwa:     http://www.aiwa.com/csd/product/ns20.htm
Seagate:  http://www.seagate.com/tape/horntrav.shtml
          http://www.seagate.com/tape/tapetrav.shtml
(Others?)
Are there great differences?

What's the difference between Travan-5 and NS20?

TIA!

Stephan.

http://www.leo.org/~loescher/
Try the LEO-archive: http://www.leo.org/archiv/archiv_e.html

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Folkert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: External 3Com ISDN modem
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:37:03 -0500

Anybody have any luck with Red Hat 5.2 and multi-linking the channels of an
external ISDN 3Com Impact IQ modem.  I can get the modem to work with one
channel but a soon as I get it to multi-link the channels it doesn't bind
correctly. I can't ping to the outside networks, nothing.

------------------------------

From: Andre Bossard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Xwin manager multi choice menu
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:52:38 +0000

> Is there a way (with a window menu) right after the login,password entry
> (xdb)
> to choose between different Xwin manager ?

Hi D
Yes it is.
It comes with SuSE Linux 5.3 and it's called kdb. You can Login and
choose the WM from a Drop-down-list.

------------------------------

From: Paul Nevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Travan TR2 Floppy tape backup troubles
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 09:38:15 +0800

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with a floppy tape backup
unit.  The device is a Travan TR2 1.6Gb tape drive running off the
floppy disc controler.

I have recompiled my kernel to install the ftape (4.x something) drivers
but the device is failing to mount under /dev/qft0.

Is there something wrong with the included settings recommended in the
ftape FAQ?  It seems odd that the similar tape drive as mine has an irq
of 65.. is this done on purpose to ensure people look up the correct
settings?

I have a Pentium II system running linux kernel 2.0.36 and have compiled
the ftape drivers into modules.  My conf.modules looks as follows

alias char-major-27       zftape
options ftape ft_fdc_driver=ftape-internal,none,none,none
options ftape-internal ft_fdc_base=0x4711 ft_fdc_irq=6 ft_fdc_dma=13
pre-install ftape-internal /usr/local/bin/swapout 15

I have changed the IRQ to 6, as I believe this is correct.  However I am
not sure of the other settings for ft_fdc_base and ft_fdc_dma.  If there
is something in here that is obviously wrong please let me know.

Thanks in advance.