From: Jeffrey Bridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: need to take action on the Winmodem problem
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 11:17:12 -0600

gus wrote:

> Norm Matloff wrote:
> >
> > I'm a longtime Linux user (back to the Soft Landing days), but only
> > recently have been paying attention to its trends and so on.  The
> > reason for my new active participation is that I have been trying to
> > make Linux more accessible to beginners, e.g. college freshmen.  I've
> > recently set up a Linux Beginners Web Page for this audience, at
> > http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/linux.html  I've tried to
> > make it as foolproof as possible, getting lots of feedback from
> > students as they install Linux on various machines.  This called my
> > attention to the Winmodem problem, which I had not known about before.
> >
> > Based on this limited observation, it appears that (a) it has been only
> > in the last couple of months that Winmodems have become common (is this
> > true?) and (b) Winmodems now dominate the PC modem market.
> >
> > My focus in this e-mail message is on (b).  IT WOULD APPEAR THAT
> > WINMODEMS ARE A MAJOR THREAT TO THE VIABILITY OF LINUX.  Given the
> > sudden rise of Winmodems, it would appear to be a real possibility that
> > non-Winmodems may become nearly extinct in the next few months.  Though
> > workarounds exist (e.g. external modems) this could have a devastating
> > impact on the popularity of Linux, a real shame in view of the fact that
> > Linux had been on its way to becoming much more mainstream.
> >
> > Again, in spite of being a longtime Linux user, I really have no idea
> > about how the amorphous Linux movement works.  But I hope that the
> > "movers and shakers" of Linux, whoever they are, can work with the modem
> > vendors to achieve some sort of solution.
> >
> > Norm Matloff
>
> My $0.02...
>
> Minmodems are not a threat, simply because in a few months time *all*
> modems will be on the wrong side of their peak. xDSL, cheap ISDN, cable
> modems, etc are all becomming more popular, and will be the modems of
> choice for future "power" users, and in the not too distant future, of
> "normal" users too.
>
> In one year I see the use of current modem technology as being on a par
> with the current use of ISA video cards.
>
> Just my view on the communication future. I personally can not wait
> until xDSL or an aquivalent becomes available in UK.
>
> cheers
>
> gus

Cable modems are pretty fool-proof in terms of compatibility, *as long as the
net card is supported.* However, I know that Rockwell at least is making an
internal xDSL/V.90/Ethernet/HomeNet chipset, that very well could be
windows-only.... and I don't know about ISDN, but I'm sure those two
technologies could be made Win-only, just like modems have been! Be careful,
don't assume the problem is going away just because one TYPE of
communications device is going away!

Tilde,
Jeffrey :j

------------------------------

From: Martin Stenzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SCSI Cheap/Supported?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 18:45:46 +0100

Blake Sobiloff wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >         So, is there some inexpensive interface card I can buy that is
> > supported in Linux?
>
> I'd double-check the supported hardware list, but Adaptec's AHA-1502B is
> an ISA card that does Fast SCSI II and costs about $60.
>
> --
> Blake Sobiloff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Higher Education Consulting
> KPMG -- "It's time for clarity"
> Washington, DC

  The 1502B came w/ my Canon Scanner, but I could not make it work. Tried
several things (isapnpconfig, SCSISelect, etc.). Finally
I had to buy the 1505 which works very fine and it cost me 120 German Mark.
It is jumpered and one does not have problems with the P'n'Pray.

Martin. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: (John Auld)
Subject: Re: WHEE!!!! Linux on an 386 (for real) w/ 4M
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 16:56:56 GMT

Try looking at the Linux Router Project for info.

www.psychosis.com/linux-router/

This site has details of creating a floppy disk based version of Linux
and has links to documentation on minimalist Linux.

Regards

John Auld

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Sharing my UMAX Astra 610s scanner w/ UMAX Scan Manager v1.2, using SANE
(Redhat 5.2 Linux)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 20:54:21 GMT

In article <01be3366$1f4244b0$0200a8c0@mycompnt>,
  "SCSI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How do I get SANE on my Linux workstation to be configured to use my UMAX
> Astra 610s over the network when it is being served by the UMAX Scan
> Manager v1.2 (part of VistaScan v3.1)?
>
> THIS TOPIC HAS STUMPED ME FOR SEVERAL MONTHS NOW, AND THE SANE
> DOCUMENTATION SAYS NOTHING ABOUT THIS.
>
> How can it be done?

UMAX Scan Manager uses a proprietary scanner access protocol layered
over the NetBIOS protocol. I think it would be more practical to forget
about UMAX Scan Manager for the server and write a TCP/IP-based server
(for WinNT or 9x, if that's where you want to connect the scanner) that
talks to the sane-net client on the Linux workstation. The SCSI protocol
for the UMAX 610S is documented in the UMAX SCSI SDK which can be
downloaded from  ftp://ftp.umax.co.uk/pc/utils/devsup/umaxsdkscsi.zip .

Roy

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank McKenney)
Subject: Re: Need for WinModem research? (was: Re: need to take action...)
Date: 31 Dec 1998 17:57:00 GMT

Günther,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, there does seem to be a lot of interest
in having some kind of support for "WinModems" under Linux. Also some
for OS/2, and probably elsewhere.

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=FCnther?= Wieser
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>Thats what I want to hear in this NG: Something real usefull.
>If anyone can tell me, how I can listen to my PCI bus under WinXX, I
>would appreciate that.
>As I´m using a laptop I´m not willing to cahnge my modem, which is built
>in, and I can not believe that theres something that WinXX can do but
>not Linux! Can that be real?
>And, as you wrote, I don´t believe that this piece of software will be
>too hard to write.

Minor clarification:  I don't think I said it wouldn't be too hard to
do, or at least I didn't intend to say or imply that.  What I _was_
trying to say was that it was _possible_ that coding Linux "WinModem"
support will turn out to be much simpler than many people think it is.

As far as I can tell, the current assumptions of difficulty are based on

 1) Lack of manufacturer information,
 2) Lack of driver source code, and
 3) An assumption that there is a large variance in how "WinModems"
    interface with the host and how the "usual" modem responsibilities
    are divided between the hardware and the driver,

All I was trying to say is that, based on what I've seen posted here and
elsewhere, (3) is an assumption rather than a fact or an opinion based
on specific knowledge of the problems involved.

And, implicitly, I was asking anyone who _did_ have any specific
technical knowledge in this area to contribute his/her/its knowledge to
the conversation.  Based on the postings I've seen, the Linux community
includes a _large_ number of highly gifted people - IM(NS)HO the only
reason someone hasn't developed a simple, klugy, "alpha" "WinModem"
driver already is the lack of information and the _perception_ that it's
so difficult as to not be worth doing.

But that perception is based on an assumption.

I have this feeling I should have cross-posted to a 'modem hardware'
newsgroup (;-).

Frank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 21:39:31 GMT

[snip]

> ISA Winmodems can suck a *lot* of CPU time becuase of the ISA bus hit.
> The newer PCI Win modems are better at this. Regardless of what CPU
> spead you use, an ISA I/O dialog will bring your screaming CPU to a
> virtual halt.
>
> I have seen Winmodems in action vs standard modems, there is a
> perceptable difference, even in the fastest of machines.

This is very true, but to your average Joe computer-user out there it's not
the $49 WinModem that sucks - many of them are happy if they can just get
connected to the Internet at a reasonable speed - it's the OS that doesn't
support this garbage modem that sucks.

[snip]

Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 20:12:09 +0200
From: Andri Saar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster Live

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is there any way to get a sb live to work under RH 5.2?

nope.

------------------------------

From: Andrew Rossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.periphs,comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: Travan NS20 tape drives?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:16:00 -0600

Stephan Loescher wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Has anyone a Travan NS20 tape drive?
> Any experiences?
> Which one should I buy?
> Tandberg: http://www.tandberg.com/products/ns20_pro.html
> Tecmar:   http://www.tecmar.com/product/travan/travan20/travan20.html
> Aiwa:     http://www.aiwa.com/csd/product/ns20.htm
> Seagate:  http://www.seagate.com/tape/horntrav.shtml
>           http://www.seagate.com/tape/tapetrav.shtml
> (Others?)
> Are there great differences?
>
> What's the difference between Travan-5 and NS20?

  NS drives have hardware compression (the drive does the compression
itself.) TR-5 is the basic format (actually, I'm not certain what the
base QIC number is for this). Plain TR-5 drives have no hardware
compression, so your backup software would need software compression if
you wanted more than 10G of storage. Also, NS8 is the same as TR4, whose
true basic format is QIC-3020.

law!!
http://www.ntsource.com/~andyross

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Install New Hardare
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 22:17:51 GMT

I'm looking for some help installing new hardware to a RedHat Linux 5.1 box.
Can anyone recommend a book, web site, or anything at all that would help me?

Specifically, I have a brand new SMC EZ 10/100 SMC1211TX network card that I
need to install. I have two choices:

1) Reinstall Linux.
2) See if I can find a book on installing new hardware for Linux.

Actually, reinstalling Linux and using the Autoprobe didn't work.  Probably
because the drivers didn't come with the Linux CD-ROM.  So I'll have to try
option 2.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jake

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Garrick Hays)
Subject: ATI Charger: Xconfigurator problems
Date: 31 Dec 1998 22:31:14 GMT

Using RH 5.1, and upgraded to XFree86-3.3.3 when I got my ATI Charger (PCI)
with Rage IIc chip this morning. Xconfigurator says it is a "Mach64 Pro".
And "startx" fails with message something like, "Must have "Screen" section
with at least one "accel" entry", or something like that. In
/etc/X11/XF86config the Screen entry is there with the "accel" part just like
it wants, but it is not seeing it. Anybody lick this problem? Is Xconfigurator
mistaken about what card I have?

Garrick Hays

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harry McGregor)
Crossposted-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 23:09:55 GMT

I have used (but not alway worked, due to pnp problems) the Advansys
SCSI ISA cards, at one point they could be had for around $25 here in
Tucson, AZ, USA.

                        Harry

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 18:02:10 -0500
From: chipins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie wants to know if there is a gain in going "all SCSI"

I am getting my first Intel-based desktop built.  It will be a home
workstation for fortran/perl hacking, browsing etc.  and use a 300 Mhz
Intel or clone (probably clone.)

It will be Linux only, and I want to to do tape backups, so I am
ordering a TR-4 drive and a SCSI controller.  (From reading the
hardware compatibility docs, it sounds like SCSI is the most solid way
to go for tape backup from Linux.)

However I was just going to get standard ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM and Hard
Drive, as these things seem to be so cheap these days.

So I then got to thinking ....  since I will have a SCSI controller
for my tape drive, is it worth going all SCSI (hard drive and CD-ROM)?
I guess it will cost me a bit extra in drives and cabling, but will
I notice a benefit ?  Are there any losses or disadvantages apart from
cost?

And a Happy New Year to everyone ahead of the +0100 time zone.

------------------------------

From: "guenter weissenseel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to use trakker printer port tape backup?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 17:58:53 -0500

Hi
I use Caldera 1.3 Kernel version 2.0.35

Is there a module for the trakker tape backup available?
It is an external device, whichoperates through the printer port and uses
standard QIC-80 tapes.

Thanks for any help

Guenter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (T1)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.install
Subject: Redhat Linux 5.1 and 3com  3c509b-TPO card troubleshooting
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 21:37:15 GMT

        Hi. I am currently using Redhat Linux 5.1 and am using a 3com
3c509b-TPO card. It worked well in my older PC under all operating
systems but when I transferred it to my new PC, it worked well under
Windows98 but not under RH Linux 5.1. I tried to get it to the correct
I/O and correct IRQ but no luck so far.  Does anyone know how to get
this ethernet card working once again under RH Linux 5.1?

------------------------------

From: "guenter weissenseel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Nikon Slide scanner configuration
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 18:16:50 -0500

I have a Nikon LS10 slide scanner and try to make it work under Linux 2.0.35

The SCSI interface works fine and I found software, which is working under
1.0, but I can't compile it.

Does anyone have this scanner and get it to work?

Please give me some feedback

Guenter

------------------------------

From: Patrick Boutilier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux with 1 GIG of RAM
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 19:22:55 -0400

Someone pointed me to this page which explains and provides solutions to
the
problem. Thanks.

 http://humbolt.geo.uu.nl/Linux-MM/more_than_1GB.html

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: parport/ppa problem with 2.2.0pre1
Date: 31 Dec 1998 15:14:13 -0800