From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bernard Mercé)
Subject: Re: Plextor 12/10/32A IDE CDRW....SCSI?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 11:47:21 GMT

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 07:49:58 GMT, Scott C Parillo
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Scott,
you lucky, I couldn't use my CD-writer with Linux and I would like to
get some infos from you:
- what kernel version are you running ?
- did you had to recompile it?
The HOWTO says its necessary to recompile but I don't understand why.
The ide-scsi emulation and the generic scsi driver are present as
modules and should be automatically loaded... but they don't.
Thanks in advance
Bernard

------------------------------

From: Simon Brooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ES1371 soundcard setup problem - not the usual one...
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 12:11:54 GMT

I have an ES1371 installed in a twin processor machine running Debian
2.2. I have compiled a kernel with the ES1371 driver in, and that is
undoubtedly the kernel I am using:

bash-2.03$ more /proc/version
Linux version 2.2.17 (root@gododdin) (gcc version 2.95.2 20000220
(Debian GNU/Linux)) #12 SMP Fri Dec 22 10:41:19 GMT 2000

As the system starts up, the ES1371 card is correctly found:

bash-2.03$ dmesg | grep es1371
es1371: version v0.22 time 10:34:24 Dec 22 2000
es1371: found chip, vendor id 0x1274 device id 0x1371 revision 0x06
es1371: found es1371 rev 6 at io 0xb800 irq 10
es1371: features: joystick 0x200
es1371: codec vendor TRA (0x545241) revision 35 (0x23)
es1371: codec features none
es1371: stereo enhancement: no 3D stereo enhancement

The card shows up correctly in interrupts:

gododdin:/usr/src/linux# grep 1371 /proc/interrupts
 10:        693        882   IO-APIC-level  es1371

And in PCI:

gododdin:/usr/src/linux# grep 1371 /proc/pci
    Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 (rev 6).

So the card is there and is at least responding to the system. However,
sound does not work and /dev/sndstat reports that the device isn't
there:

gododdin:/usr/src/linux# cat /dev/sndstat
cat: /dev/sndstat: No such device

According to the Sound-HOWTO,

'"No such device" means that sound driver is not loaded
  or linked into kernel. Go back to section 4.2 to correct this.'

This is emphatically not the case. I have checked, and checked, and
checked again. I've also compiled kernels with the ES1371 driver as a
module, but they don't work either (same symptoms).

The sound used to work when the machine was running Mandrake 7.0; there
have been no hardware changes.

Any suggestions?

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

                [ This .sig subject to change without notice ]

------------------------------

From: Wolfgang Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with promise u 66
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 13:31:09 +0100

I got it!

I spent too much money: bought an expensive cable for UDMA-4.
So the promise-ultra66 card enabled UDMA-4-mode, but
the PDC202xxx-support was only tested upto UDMA-2!

Now I got no problems, when switching to dma mode with

        hdparm -d1 -X66 /dev/...

greetings from finning
wolfgang

=================
Wolfgang Schmidt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: 08806/956510
Fax: 08806/956512

------------------------------

From: "Hooda Gest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.modems
Subject: Re: dying courier modem?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:26:39 -0500

Matt Garman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 08:30:10 -0500, Hooda Gest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Matt Garman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > I am experiencing two rather strange behaviors with this modem.  This
> > > first is it emitting a very high-pitched frequency when it connects to
> > > another modem.  This frequency is emitted regardless of the modem's
> > > volume.  It is not very loud, but definately audible.  (I've seen some
> > > older TVs that make a similar noise.)
> > I've heard similar reports but don't recall any resolution. This high
pitch
> > tone continues throughout the call, correct? Basic advice is to turn
down
> > the volume. You might try calling USR regarding this (Courier owners get
> > toll free support in the US).
>
> The modem's volume control does not have any effect on the volume of the
> high pitched sound, unfortunately.  Another poster said the noise could be
> a result of noisy phone lines.  We live out in the country, quite a ways
> from the phone company, and our phone lines are horrendous.
>
> However, since my dad's Sportster modem works okay, I am assuming the
> phone lines are not the problem here.

I would contact USR regarding this. It may be a problem with some component
and that could be affecting the ability of the modem to handle the line
quality properly. It could be repairable. You also might check your
electrical grounding, sometimes this can have an adverse effect. Another
thing to check, assuming the modem is an external, is where the modem is
placed. Putting it on top of your monitor or the computer's case is not
recommended.

> > > The other problem is that it always drops carrier in the middle of
file
> > > transfers.  I could dial up to my ISP and leave the connection on all
day,
> > > and it wouldn't drop the connection.  However, if I try to download
any
> > I could tell more if you showed me the result of an ati6i11 after one of
> > these disconnects.
>
> Here's what I got:
>
> ati6i11
> USRobotics Courier V.Everything Link Diagnostics...
>
> Chars sent               163206      Chars Received          6309705
> Chars lost                    0
> Octets sent               80772      Octets Received         6042456
> Blocks sent               11581      Blocks Received           48985
> Blocks resent                 6
>
> Retrains Requested            0      Retrains Granted              1
> Line Reversals                0      Blers                       945
> Link Timeouts                 0      Link Naks                     1
>
> Data Compression       V42BIS 2048/32
> Equalization           Long
> Fallback               Enabled
> Protocol               LAPM 128/15
> Speed                  38666/21600
> Last Call              00:34:22
>
> Disconnect Reason is DISC Received

The remote modem disconnected you. It wasn't a disconnecct due to line
faults. What it may be is an idle activity timeout. Your ISP may not be
seeing the file transfer as "activity" and expects some interaction such as
mail checking. If there is a way, set your mail client to check for new mail
every 15 minutes and that should clear up that problem.

You get too many Blers and the speed (in each direction) is poor. This may
be related to the high pitch whine you hear. It's possible that, if this is
fixed, your connection would improve quite a bit.

More on your line quality...

> USRobotics Courier V.Everything Link Diagnostics...
>
> Modulation               V.90/V.34+
> Carrier Freq    ( Hz )   NONE/1829
> Symbol Rate              8000/3200
> Trellis Code             NONE/64S-4D
> Nonlinear Encoding       NONE/ON
> Precoding                NONE/OFF
> Shaping                  OFF/ON
> Preemphasis Index        NONE/4
> Recv/Xmit Level (-dBm)   31.7/16.9

Poor Recv level and not a very good transmit level.

> SNR             ( dB )   38.3
> Near Echo Loss  ( dB )   10.8
> Far Echo Loss   ( dB )
> Roundtrip Delay (msec)   6

You aren't further than I am from your ISP. And I also live in a rural area.
However, my line is very clean since I am on a well set up SLC so I get
49333bps connects with no errors.

> Timing Offset   ( ppm)   -3851
> Carrier Offset  ( ppm)   2
> RX Upshifts              1
> RX Downshifts            2
> TX Speedshifts           1

See the speedshifts? The modem is trying to compensate for the line
conditions it is encountering.

First, compare your Dad's ati6i11 to yours (collect data after similar time
online and similar amounts of data and activity) to see if there are any
glaring differences. Make sure you use the same line for each; that includes
using the same wall jack.

You can also compare an aty11 for each modem. This is a frequency curve
which should match up fairly closely when used on the same phone line. If
they don't, it points to problems with the Courier that would add to the
need for repairs.

Second, I would make sure that the problems (other than the disconnects)
aren't being caused by devices sharing the line with the modem. You do not
want both modems connected to the same line at the same time, even if one is
idle or even turned off.

Finally, after looking at the stats, I'd say you'd probably get better
performance by disabling V.90 and x2 with S58=33. This will leave you with
V.34 connections but they should be more stable and give you better
throughput overall for now.

Hooda

------------------------------

From: Heiko Brüning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:22:02 +0100

Hi Simon.

I've got the same soundcard with kernel 2.2.17 incl. es1371-driver. my sndstat
shows the same as yours, but my sound works. I'm running RedHat 6.2. So maybe
something with your start-scripts is wrong.

Greetings Heiko.

Am Fre, 22 Dez 2000 hat Simon Brooke geschrieben:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Kensington video camera
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 15:29:57 +0000 (UTC)

 Alex Rozhkov.

------------------------------

From: Eric Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Webcams In linux
Date: 22 Dec 2000 15:37:14 GMT

It should be http://webcam.sourceforge.net

Best Regards,
Eric Ho

glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: there is another post in here that gives http://webcams.sourceforge.net
: as a link

: buzz wrote:
:>
:> Please, please please could you tell me what paralell port webcams work in
:> Linux?
:>
:> All I can Come up with is the Logitech quickcam VC.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Kensington video camera II
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 15:59:37 +0000 (UTC)

Can I make Kensington VideoCAM work under Linux?
Alex Rozhkov.

------------------------------

From: James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: crossover cable
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:09:29 GMT

"John D. Peedle" wrote:

> This is probably the best reason. Even if that works, may I suggest that
> your best option is still a hub, since it has other advantages (protection
> of individual devices, scalability, etc, etc). Crossover cables are a
> necessary evil, but still to be avoided whenever possible.
>
> --
> John D. Peedle
> RHCE - so I'm Biased!
> Registered Linux User 167460

Hub!?! Get a switch (yes I know that switches are 'switching hubs') they
are faster, you can do full duplex with them, and ect. I just bought a
switch made by Addtron, an ADS1008i, and I love it. Cost $69.00 + tax.

jamess
--
"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."

-Anonymous

------------------------------

From: "Mr. Happy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SupraMax 56k 2260 PCI Is it a winmodem?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:52:09 -0500

yes conexant soft56k.

------------------------------

From: James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which kind of netcard is best support in Linux?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:12:29 GMT

Andy wrote:

> For a cheaper solution, you can pick up a generic network card that
> probably has a reltek 8029 or 8139 chipset.  If you're not sure if the
> network card you are looking at is using one of those chipsets, take a
> look at the board it may have it printed there.  Asking the sales person
> or checking the box might also give you the info.  At any rate, both of
> those chipsets have worked flawlessly for me in linux, and RH linux can
> detect and configure them as well.
>
> Andy

You can also put the floppy that comes with the NIC into a floppy drive
and read the readme file in the Linux folder, it will tell you which
driver to use.

jamess

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: v7.1 locks up when init eth0
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:50:21 GMT

I have Mandrake 7.1 installed. A 3c509 nic (ISA PNP) was installed &
works OK. I've added a 2nd nic, a DLink DFE530-TX (PCI PNP, supposed to
use tulip.o module). However, when I boot the machine with both nics,
the OS locks up when it gets to "initializing eth0" it never even gets
to eth1. Any suggetions? Thanks...

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Anthony P. Rounsaville" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux!
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:02:51 GMT

Have you acctually used 2000 or ME? They are the WORST products Microsoft
has ever made.

Why would you build a sever OS that is designed for idiots?  Have you even
tried to load non-standard drivers on 2000?  I'll say not, because you
can't.  They are now shoving Plug and Pray down your throat.  Active
Directory is nothing more than a rip off of an NDS tree.  If you are
configuring or managing a server you want and need controll.  Something
Microsoft does not want you to have.  Not to mention security.  Considering
that no Microsoft product has any security at all.  If there is IP
connectivity Linux will compleatly bypass MS security.  This was confirmed
on a 2000 Domain with an NTFS partition.  Linux instantly had full access to
the disk in question, no errors or security checks.

As for ME.  ME should get the title as the worst OS ever released.  You have
to love an OS that crashes every two hours.  I'm sure MS will try to fix
some of the big bugs in the software and then charge you for the fixes.
They will call it an upgrade.  The example 98 and 98SE, sold as a seperate
OS, nothing more than a bug fix.

I just love the "Linux Myths Page" on MS' web site.  They refer to the high
cost of Linux support.  Do they honestly think that $300 per incident is
cheap.  Taking into consideration that they don't help.  They will generally
give you the reinstall line.

Winblows was designed for idiots and novices.  This is one point that even
MS has not denied.  This has been their market strategy.  If it were not for
the boom in the tech industry, Winblows would have gone the way of OS2.

There is one undeniable fact in all of this, Linux acctually works.  I have
set up a dual boot PC running both Linux and NT4 server.  (Linux was a
server build)  Linux ran at least 50% faster, was more secure, and never
crashed.  All of my hardware was suported and worked far better than using
NT.  The PC in question's specs are below.

Dual PII 400
256MB RAM (PC100)
30 GB HDD
Onbord Intel NIC (Never worked with any version of Win)
Onboard CL Vibra 16 (Never worked with any version of Win)
3Com 3C905B NIC
ATI Rage 128 16MB
CL Awe 64 Sound (Never worked with NT)
Onboard SCSI Adapter (Never worked with NT)
MB is a Tyan

Amazingly everything worked with Linux the first time out.  The video took
three days to get running on NT4.  You can choose to ignore these facts and
continue to support an inferior product line.  If there is any one clear
indication that Linux and Unix are far supperior to Window it would have to
be that most if not all high end network security devices run clones of Unix
as an OS.

"If you bury your head in the sand, you'll never see the 18 Wheeler rolling
up behind you."

Netlord80

news:4%W%5.34786$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...