Linux-Hardware Digest #84, Volume #9              Fri, 1 Jan 99 23:13:45 EST

Contents:
  Re: LILO and booting from scsi ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: need to take action on the Winmodem problem (Elmo Recio)
  Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but am
stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!! (Elmo Recio)
  Re: USR 56K PnP problems in RH 5.2, slow port? (Paul B. Brown)
  Re: RC.INET???????? (Carl Spalletta)
  Re: Probe doesn't find Jaz drive (Randy Cooper)
  Re: S3 Virge setup question (Loren Brookes)
  Need Ethernet card recommendations ("wambo")
  Re: Is the i740 slow? (Jeff Lightfoot)
  Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have  ("L. Dwayne
Sudduth")
  Does Cardinal 3440 work? (Ruven Gottlieb)
  Re: Is ethernet card 3com 3c508 supported by Linux ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  S3 virge help ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Need Ethernet card recommendations ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Signal 8 at fdisk (Evan)
  A-trend Banshee 16MB AGP 3D Video` (The Grunewalds)
  Re: Newbie wants to know if there is a gain in going "all SCSI" (George Dau)
  have i got a problem (beer god)
  Re: Where can I find the SiS6326 driver? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: RH 5.0 /  AWE64 gold PnP problems.. (Norman Jordan)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: LILO and booting from scsi
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 21:36:58 GMT

I wish it were that simple. I already have "linear" in the lilo.conf.
Next answer?

From: Elmo Recio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: need to take action on the Winmodem problem
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 18:38:04 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Lee) writes:
> Winmodems are an issue for people who want an internal modem for whatever
> strange reason. I've never owned, and never had any desire to own an
> internal modem.

what is so difficult or /bad/ about an internal modem. I have /always/
had an internal modem, and they work great. Just set the com/irq on the
modem itself, put it into your ISA slot, and boom, it works, no messy
wires, no need for the adapter to take up twenty-quatrillion power plug
spots cause it's too big... Nothing to worry about at all.

> You're not going to see support for Winmodems because most Linux
> programers already own an external modems, and I don't think they are about
> to run out and buy a worthless winmodem.

Yeah, my laptop has a winmodem, it couldnt get it recognised at all in
Linux. The funny part is that the lappie's modem's irq/com ports can be
set from the BIOS. That struck me as wierd. But anyways, went out and
got a Motorola 33k pcmcia card from a friend and that seems to work
mahhhvelously!
cheers,
elmo

--
"so, drink, drink, drink
 and be ill tonight

------------------------------

From: Elmo Recio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but
am stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 18:18:29 -0500

your problem seems to be redhat 5.2 I hear that everything over redhat
4.2 is broked. I use slakware, out of the box, the boot kernel provided
by slakware does the windows fat32 hd stuff.
cheers,
elmo

--
"Stories from the deepest part of my heart,
 Delving under,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul B. Brown)
Subject: Re: USR 56K PnP problems in RH 5.2, slow port?
Date: 2 Jan 1999 00:20:47 GMT

Tom,

What speed is your serial port setup for?

Paul

Paul B. Brown                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
President
Brown Technologies Network, Inc.       http://www.btechnet.com/

Unix Systems Administration            "Sailing is a state of mind . . . ."

comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Spalletta)
Subject: Re: RC.INET????????
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 00:21:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Vincent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I need to modify a file called rc.inet1, rc.inet2, and resolv.conf,  but
>these files are not in RedHat.  Where are these files in RedHat?  What
>do these files do?  How do I configure these files for an Intranet?
>
>                    Thanks,
>                 Vincent

grep ifconfig /etc/rc.d/*  /etc/rc.d/*/*

------------------------------

From: Randy Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Probe doesn't find Jaz drive
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 18:58:25 -0600

Have you tried to manually load the aha152x driver for your card? If I
recall correctly I had to copy the correct module from the CD-ROM and
install in the approrpiate directory.

If your kernel is 2.0.30 then the appropriate module is
/lib/modules/2.0.30/scsi/aha152x.o

I beleive I had to add the following line to the file
/lib/modules/2.0.30/modules.dep to get it to work
  /lib/modules/2.0.30/scsi/aha152x.o:

You can enter a command similar to
  /sbin/modprobe aha152x aha152x=0x140,12,7,1
where 0x140 is the i/o address used by the controller
      12 is the irq used by the controller
      7 is the SCSI id of the controller
      1 means auto re-connect
where you substitute the correct values for the i/o address and irq.

This should load the module and detect your SCSI controller. Be sure
your drive is powered up when you do this. At the very
least you should get some useful messages from this. Once you know your
controller is detected correctly you can then try to mount a disk.

If this is not clear let me know.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Reply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mail checked week nights and weekends).

------------------------------

From: Loren Brookes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: S3 Virge setup question
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 14:07:36 +1300

Darrell L. Coons wrote:

> I will be installing RedHat 5.2 and I have a S3 Virge/GX 86C385 video card.
> The XFree86 info from RedHat lists the S3V server for an S3 Virge card, but
> the SVGA server for the 86C385. Which should I use?

I use the S3V with XFree86-3.3.3 and an S3 Virge/DX, but I believe that both
servers will work. I think that the S3V server is being phased out, and the
SVGA server replacing it.

Try them both maybe ?

Loren Brookes

------------------------------

From: "wambo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need Ethernet card recommendations
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 17:47:43 -0600

Hello everyone,

I am planning to install a cable modem connection in my house, and do not
have an ethernet card yet.
The connection will be of 4Mbps max. Therefore, i was planning to buy a
standard NE2000 compatible.
However, with all the w95 hardware we find these days, I want to make sure
the card I buy is fully supported under Linux.

Is the Etherlink III working fine under Linux ? Do you have any suggestions
?

Thanks for your replies.

Please send email to :

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Lightfoot)
Subject: Re: Is the i740 slow?
Date: 2 Jan 1999 01:28:47 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>My question is, is the i740 in general slow, or is it just this cheapo
>card?  Does anyone have experience with other implementations such as
>the Diamond Stealth II/G460 AGP?

For me,
32 really slow, but looks good
24 quick but color problems
16 quick, nice color.

This is with version 1.0.0 of the XBF servers.  The earlier versions really
messed my card up in 32bit mode.  Improvements with each release.

--
jeffml @                                         Jeff Lightfoot
pobox.com                                  http://thefoots.com/

------------------------------

From: "L. Dwayne Sudduth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 21:21:22 -0500

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> LISTEN HERE, SH**FACE !!! I AM POSTING A PROBLEM TO WHICH I WANT A
> SOLUTION, NOT IRRELEVANT BULLSH** !!! GOD KNOWS WHEN YOU'LL GET THAT
> THROUGH YOUR MF BRAIN !!! BESIDES, NOT EVERYONE IS LIKE YOU, PAYING
> FOR EVERY THING !!! I'M SURE THERE HAVE BEEN PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO HAVE
> BEEN ABLE TO DO IT WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY !!! I READ YOUR ENTIRE SH**
> POST-REPLY BY THE WAY AND ALL YOU GIVE IS NOTHING BUT IRRELEVANT
> BULLSH** !!! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO KEEP TELLING A DUMBF*** LIKE
> YOU THAT I AM NOT INTERESTED IN OTHER UNIX/LINUX OPERATING SYSTEMS !!!
> SINCE NOTHING GETS THROUGH YOUR HEAD, HERE'S MY ADVICE TO YOU: EAT MUD
> !!!

Dear Sir:
    I regret to inform you that my 3 year old has better behaviour and manners than
you do.
When I first started  experimenting with UNIX, the typical response to an insolent,
loud-mouthed individual such as yourself would have been RTFM. Or, in other words
(since you
probably don't understand the acronym) Read The F****** Manual.

The alternative is to ask @home network for assistance. Or, follow the advice given by
sane
individuals in this newsgroup. such as purchasing Red Hat from such places as
CheapBytes.com.
CD-ROM.com, etc.

Dark Nemesis

------------------------------

From: Ruven Gottlieb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Does Cardinal 3440 work?
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 19:21:47 -0500

I'm investigating buying a Cardinal 3440 Connecta 56k internal modem
from Egghead.com.

Saw a post suggesting it *might* work.  Has anyone used one under Linux?

I wrote Cardinal, and Egghead and I'll let you know what I find out if
they answer, but in the meantime, has anyone actually used one
successfully?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Is ethernet card 3com 3c508 supported by Linux ?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 03:03:14 GMT

Zuki Harahap wrote:

> Is the 3com 3c508 supported by Linux ?  Anyone please help.  If it can, what
> drivers I have to load to recognize this card ?
>
> Many thanks,
> Zuki

It should be. After all, if 3c509x is supported, I do not see why 3c508
wouldn't. The driver to use is 3c508 when compiling your kernel. Which version
of Linux are you using by the way? I'm using RH 5.2.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: S3 virge help
Date: 2 Jan 1999 03:00:09 GMT

I have a Jaton "Video-61-3D" pci buss video card that I have managed to
get working great w/ X using the XF86_S3V server.  The problem is when I
exit out of X, the text is scrambled on the screen.  It appears to be
offset right by 64 spaces or so.  The same occurs if you switch to a
virtual console while X is running.

The card is in a pci/isa pentium m/b running 2.0.30.  I did try a newer
(3.3.2) server, no go.

Any ideas???

tia,  Doug

Doug

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Need Ethernet card recommendations
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 03:16:06 GMT

wambo wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am planning to install a cable modem connection in my house, and do not
> have an ethernet card yet.
> The connection will be of 4Mbps max. Therefore, i was planning to buy a
> standard NE2000 compatible.
> However, with all the w95 hardware we find these days, I want to make sure
> the card I buy is fully supported under Linux.
>
> Is the Etherlink III working fine under Linux ? Do you have any suggestions
> ?
>
> Thanks for your replies.
>
> Please send email to :
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Thanks.

Hello, wambo. I have been using 3Com 3c509b-TPO with Linux on a T1 connection
and had no trouble that is after I disabled PnP and then re-enabled it which I
will discuss shortly. After that I got cable modem service and had no trouble
there. Usually it's a matter of getting your ethernet card to work, not the
cable modem, T1 router, etc... refusing to recognize it under Linux. One word
of caution though. If your cable company gives you a PnP Ethernet Card, which
they more thatn likely will do, such as 3C509B-TPO, then what you want to do
is follow these steps:

1. In you desktop under Win9x, right click "My Computer" and then click
"Properties".
2. Go to "Device Manager" and locate your ethernet card (it should be not be
too hard to find).
3. Double click that device and go to resources.
4. Write down IRQ and Input/Output Range info of the card.
5. Now shut down to DOS and use the ethernet disk which most likely came with
your card and disable plug-n-play. Don't forget to assign the card the same
IRQ and I/O Range.
6. now boot to Linux and then configure your network card.

It should work. Let me know if you later need some more help.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 13:31:51 +1100
From: Evan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Signal 8 at fdisk

During an install of Linux Red Hat 5.1 boxed edition, when the install
gets up to the fdisk or disk druid selections the entire process dies
(needing a reboot) and produces the following error....

"install exited abnormally - received signal 8
sending terminations signals... done
sending kill signals... done
unmounting filesystems..."

Ever seen it, or know what the hell a signal 8 is?. Have tried the
mem=64m (and other values) at LILO...

I am using a Gateway G6-Pro2/300 with 128Mb RAM and an AGP nVidia
Riva128.

------------------------------

From: The Grunewalds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A-trend Banshee 16MB AGP 3D Video`
Date: 01 Jan 1999 19:53:30 PST

Does anybody know about an A-trend Banshee 16MB AGP 3D video card?
Is it compatible with Linux?
Is it any good?
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Dau)
Subject: Re: Newbie wants to know if there is a gain in going "all SCSI"
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 00:09:44 GMT

chipins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

]It will be Linux only, and I want to to do tape backups, so I am
]ordering a TR-4 drive and a SCSI controller.  (From reading the
]hardware compatibility docs, it sounds like SCSI is the most solid way
]to go for tape backup from Linux.)
]
]However I was just going to get standard ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM and Hard
]Drive, as these things seem to be so cheap these days.
]
]So I then got to thinking ....  since I will have a SCSI controller
]for my tape drive, is it worth going all SCSI (hard drive and CD-ROM)?
]I guess it will cost me a bit extra in drives and cabling, but will
]I notice a benefit ?  Are there any losses or disadvantages apart from
]cost?

I went SCSI because one SCSI card takes up one slot, IRQ, etc and allows Seven
devices. Since I already decided to get a SCSI card, I got SCSI disks since that
way I'm not taking up any other resources.

I got a IDE CD-ROM + SoundCard. The CD-ROM comes up as the first hard drive
during POST, but the SCSI card takes over and it boots from the specified disk.
The IDE CD-ROM is just fine.

I got a floppy tape drive. I asked for a SCSI, but the supplier (Gateway 2000)
wouldnt be in it. The floppy tape drive works fine but took some work to set up
in the first place. Gateway talked me in to a 3020, which will only store 1.7
Gig, so I have to have a more complicated backup strategy than I would have
liked.

If you have spare resources for IDE disk 1 = hard disk, and IDE disk 2 = CD-ROM
you may as well use them. If you decide to by a high performance SCSI hard disk
later, you can still add it in and put your stuff on the fast drive.

--
 ,-,_|\  George Dau - Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet.   __
/    * \ Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]             ! Views/opinions above need    (00)

------------------------------

From: beer god <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: have i got a problem
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 22:38:44 -0600

i know that this is sorta the wrong newsgroup to post this but, the
comp.os.linux newsgroup seems to be down and i need an anwser. i have
recently installed RED-HAT 4.2(don;t laugh, i have my reasons and will
be upgradeing soon). during the install i typed in my root password.
when i re-started my machine i couldn;t log in with my PW. so i figured
i mistyped something and re-installed.... same damn thing. any ideas?
much thanx
jason

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Where can I find the SiS6326 driver?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 04:00:30 GMT

In article <76e3he$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Jean-Christophe Beumier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My PC motherboard has the SiS6326 videochip, but the 5.1 Redhat doesn't seem
to have the driver for it.
> Where can I find it, and in which directory have I to place it?
> I can't even find the SVGA driver.
> Is linux so hermetic?

Hi Jean,

There's a free driver available at www.suse.com, which works like a dream.
I've been using it for the last 6months - no problems thus far.I've been
using RH 5.0.

Rgds.

From: Norman Jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 5.0 /  AWE64 gold PnP problems..
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 04:10:32 GMT

John D. Young wrote:

> HELP! ...I have a RH 5.0 system and AWE64 gold PnP card..  I've had no
> problems playing .au and .wav files.. but I can't get the midi synth to
> work.  I've fooled around w/ my isapnp.conf file and set it up so that
> it recognizes the other I/O ports on the card.. so what do I need to do
> next? every time I try to play a midi file it says the the device or
> resource /dev/sequencer is busy or unavailable.
>
> Thanks for your help!

It depends on what kernel you are using.  You probably just need to
compile in support for 6850 UART.  Set up the conf.modules file and it
should work.  For more information, you can see how I set up mine at
http://members.home.com/2817628153/Configure/SBAWE64.html

--

Norman Jordan -- Electrical Engineering Student
The Linux Resource Center