From: Andre Bossard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Keyboard problems with X
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:39:19 +0000

> It seems that the AltGr - key does not work properly (german keyboard
> layout). When not running X (text modus) at least { [ ] } \ ~ | are
> accepted, but nut @.
Hyo Mario Wehbrink
Bei der Installation und der anschliessenden Konfiguration des X-Server
mit 'XF86Config' sollte die Tastatur richtig konfiguriert sein.
Vielleicht ist es aber eine schweizer Tastatur.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Problems with a Matrox card and X.
Date: 6 Jan 1999 13:13:48 GMT

Download the newest, 3.3.3 ?, Xfree from either RH or Suse. Hopefully its
support of your video card will be better.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DG)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but
am stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 13:31:34 GMT

So watchya' wanna do, shoot me? Go ahead and kiss my a** for all I
care !!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DG)
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 13:32:23 GMT

And why don't you go f*** yourself !!!

------------------------------

From: "Hervey Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: problems with intel EtherExpress Pro 10 ISA
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:17:43 -0800

I used:

io=0x300 irq=5

during setup - note the space rather than a comma between the settings. I
don't think you can autoprobe since its an ISA card. BTW, I also have the
following in conf.modules:

alias eth0 eepro
options eth0 io=0x300 irq=5

or, if you have two cards:

alias eth0 eepro
alias eth1 eepro
options eth0 -o eepro0 io=0x300 irq=5
options eth1 -o eepro1 io=0x320 irq=10

I understand that the "-o <name>" effectively renames the driver so that you
can load two copies.

Hope this helps,
Hervey.

------------------------------

From: Michael Buchau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DCF77 Radio-Clock
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 16:31:56 +0100

Olaf Jansen-Olliges wrote:

> I bought a Radio-Clock with serial port to setup a time-server. I thought
> it was supported by xntpd but ...
>
> The clock is sold by Conrad-Electronic and is cheap. It is called
> "Funkuhr-Einbaumodul mit serieller Schnittstelle"
>
> I tested the clock with
>
> # Generic DCF77 clock on serial port (Conrad DCF77)
> #
> server 127.127.8.0 mode 5 prefer
>
> in my /etc/ntp.conf without success.
> Is there anybody out there who has expiriences with this clock or with
> writing drivers for something like this ???

Hi,

if you got yourself the same radio clock that I have running here, then
it does not work directly with xntpd. The clock only synchronizes with
the DCF77 reference once an hour, and runs on it's internal quarz
refernce the rest of the time. To get it to work with xntpd, you would
have to take a soldering iron and constantly enable the DCF77 receiver.
You would also have to provide the raw DCF77 signal on the clock's
serial port for xntpd. I remember reading a news article about this a
few weeks ago, have a go at dejanews.

Nevertheless, I think the clock is OK for keeping a small home network
synchronized. I use a cron job which reads the DCF77 clock twice a day
and synchronizes the Linux system clock. I then use xntpd synchronized
to the local clock to keep my other machines in sync. Mail me if you're
interested in that.

Mike

Michael Buchau  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    Erlangen, Germany
Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just a little choosy about its friends !

------------------------------

From: Kazin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM ServerRaid Controller
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 22:46:14 -0500

Manuel wrote:

> Does anybody know how/if it's possible to run Linux on a IBM PC Server
> 330 with a serverRaid Controller? It seems like it is not supported yet
> but might be possible that someone created a driver.

        I know a lot of those IBM servers had Adaptec (usually AIC78xx) chips
on their SCSI controllers.  Did you try using Adaptec drivers?

  Mike Stella                             Software / Systems Engineer
  http://www.sector13.org/kazin            Thirteen Technologies, LLC

From: "Jim Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: memory expansion
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 20:11:44 -0600

After installing linux into my pentium 60 machine, I discovered it only had
16 meg of ram (dunno why I though it had more) When I upgraded it to 64 meg,
I got a core dump during boot. The only way I got it to boot again was to
boot with "linux mem=16M". Is there some way I can get this thing to
recognize the full memory without having a conniption over it?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:46:32 +0000
From: Colin Strickland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: ISA GUS soundcard ( non Pnp ) and quake2 dsp probs

Actually , I'm having more fun trying to get to the bottom of this than
I ever would playing quake. But I'm currently stumped and wondering if
we have any sound gurus .

when I launch quake2 I get a series of messages related to
initialisation

everything looks ok apart from the sound stuff.

first I see

======= sound initialization =======
Sorry but your soundcard can't do this

and then later on

0.0.0.0:0: client_connect

======= sound initialization =======
Cmd_AddCommand: play already defined
Cmd_AddCommand: stopsound already defined
Cmd_AddCommand: soundlist already defined
Cmd_AddCommand: soundinfo already defined
/dev/dsp: Invalid argument
Could not reset /dev/dsp
XIO:  fatal IO error 9 (Bad file descriptor) on X server ":0.0"
after 40 requests (40 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

according to the readme I need a soundcard capable of direct mmap
access. So it would seem logical to assume this was the problem.

delving further
a trace run on the process shows

write(1, "\n------- sound initialization -"..., 38) = 38
write(1, "Cmd_AddCommand: play already def"..., 37) = 37
write(1, "Cmd_AddCommand: stopsound alread"..., 42) = 42
write(1, "Cmd_AddCommand: soundlist alread"..., 42) = 42
write(1, "Cmd_AddCommand: soundinfo alread"..., 42) = 42
ioctl(5, SNDCTL_DSP_RESET, 0)           = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
write(2, "/dev/dsp: Invalid argument\n", 27/dev/dsp: Invalid argument
) = 27
write(1, "Could not reset /dev/dsp\n", 25) = 25

so far so good. However If i knock up my own code that calls the above
ioctl on a file descriptor for /dev/dsp it works fine.

checking further up near the first error message I see

getuid()                                = 0
setreuid(4294967295, 0)                 = 0
ioctl(5, SNDCTL_DSP_RESET, 0)           = 0
ioctl(5, SNDCTL_DSP_GETCAPS, 0xbffff9c8) = 0
write(1, "Sorry but your soundcard can\'t "..., 39) = 39
close(5)                                = 0

- Maybe the error means that file des 5 has been closed because
quake2 didn't like something about the results returned from the
SNDCTL_DSP_GETCAPS ?

So I expand my little test code to check for various DSP capabilities
against my ancient GUS paying particular attention to DSP_CAP_MMAP and
to my surprise it passes on all counts. And now I'm stumped.
This happens aginst various kernels from 2.036 through 2.1 and up to
2.2.

I'm running as root and /dev/dsp is a symlink to /dev/dsp0 which has all
rw flags set.

I can only try it in X at the moment becuase I'm having some arguments
between SVGAlib and fbcon ( thats a different story )

If only I had the source to quake2 ( this open source idea is quite
addictive really =)  )

Any thoughts anyone ?

Regards
Colin M Strickland

------------------------------

From: David Freshwater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc,comp.protocols.ppp
Subject: Re: Anyone use bellatlantic & Linux?
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 23:18:08 +0800

==============1537F4549DD578E60F0A54BB

Xisp is an excellent choice, I'm surprised no one mentioned it before.

--
If all else fails, read the instructions!

==============1537F4549DD578E60F0A54BB

begin:vcard
n:Freshwater;David
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;9616
fn:David
end:vcard

From: Richard Knechtel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 07:48:30 -0800

The Baron wrote:

> Sorry about the xposts -- following the original.

<snip>

> Interestingly, I also got an email response from Bell Atlantic. While
> they continued to profess their non-support of *NIX, they did provide
> step-by-step instructions (which DID NOT WORK). A flat statement they
> made is that DNS info is not necessary, since it is supplied by their
> system upon connect. It is also a fact that they use PAP.

Well if none of the help from people here works and your trying like
hell that you are doing. You might have to look at finding a new ISP.
That's what I did. I found one that uses Solaris on their servers. I
would suggest to anyone using Linux. Use an ISP that uses some form of
Unix on their servers. Ones using any windoze servers will most likeyl
cause you many nights of lost sleep. And most likely in the future M$
will put hooks in their OS that will stop Linux dead cold for a while
from connectingto them. Just becasue their M$.

From: Kazin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: (Q) Nakamichi CD-Changer MJ-5.16
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 22:48:20 -0500

Shu wrote:

> Do you have any experiences Nakamichi CD-Changer MJ-5.16 on Linux?
> Please advise.  Soon I should install Linux, maybe Debian2.0, for
> my study, before that, I would like to know whether Linux supports
> my CD-ROM Changer Drive or not.
> Because I should buy another CD-ROM if not.

        I used an older model, the Nakamichi MBR-7.  This was a SCSI device,
I'm not sure what yours was.  But all I had to do to make it work was
enable the LUN support in my Adaptec AHA-2940UW and just create devices
for /dev/scd2 through /dev/scd6, and it worked just fine.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 6 Jan 1999 03:51:13 GMT

On Wed, 06 Jan 1999 02:36:38 GMT, The Baron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>BellAtlantic.net provides no apparent "login" or "name" prompt and no
>"password" prompt. What comes after CONNECT is a lot of "garbage."
>Shortly after that, I get:
>
>       "Timeout expired while waiting for the PPP interface to come
>       up."

Sounds like they use CHAP.  Edit your chap-secrets file (probably in
your /etc directory, although I don't use Red Hat and I know they and
Debian don't agree on file locations.)
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum

------------------------------

From: "Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux drivers for IOMEGA zip drive
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 18:59:07 -0800

>In article <753i7a$3kd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark O Thomas) wrote:
>>
>> Where can I find drivers for the Zip and Jaz drives?

You don't need any.
 It's just another drive and all drivers you need are the standard drivers
as for any other HD.

jue
--
Jürgen Exner; microsoft.com, UID: jurgenex
Sorry for this anti-spam inconvenience