From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon Gunnar Rue)
Subject: Problems with a Matrox card and X.
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 08:25:26 GMT

I'm trying to get a Matrox Mystique pci 4 Mb card to work under X. I
am using MetroX, RedHat 5.1 and KDE.

I use configX to choose the Mtarox Mystique card, then startx and it
gets black.

Nothing seems to work, it just hangs on a dark screen. Only option is
to use ctrl+alt+del to reboot.

Got this error log, maybe someone out there may be able to give me a
clue to the cause of this.

------------------------------

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond Fire Gl 1000 Pro supported?
Date: 06 Jan 1999 00:24:31 PST

    I looking into installing redhat 3.0.3 on my system and am wondering if
there is support
for my video card.  Where can I look/how do I go about determining that this
and other components in my system are supported?

    Thanks for helping this linux newbie,
                                Philip

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 07:24:10 +0000
From: Fuzzball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI Mach64

Matthew Tackett wrote:

> I have a Mach64 and it won't go over 8 bit display, anyone help?

I am using an ATI Mach64 II 3D Plus.  I am able to use this card in
800x600 32bpp.  I found that the Xconfigurator program did not work well
with this card.  I suggest you use the xf86config program.  Type
xf86config [enter] and answer the questions.  The file it writes is
/etc/X11/XF86Config.  It also creates a symbolic link to the Mach64 X
server, from /etc/X11/X.
Read the FAQ here.  www.xfree86.org/FAQ/

startx
startx -- -bpp 16
startx -- -bpp 24
startx -- -bpp 32

------------------------------

From: "Gary J Sanderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems running WMMount...
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 08:25:29 -0000

I followed through the install instructions in the 'tar I downloaded from
warp's site. Everything seemed to go ok but when I came to run wmmount I get
two 'wmmount:' messages;

wmmount: Unable to read '/root/.wmmount'.
wmmount: no mountpoints configured.

Then it drops back to the cmd prompt. If I try and run it from another user
(say my usual account: gary) the first error message reads; wmmount: Unable
to read '/gary/.wmmount' but I think you already know that.

I'm a bit new to Linux and its prolly something I'm not doing right or not
doing at all! Please help........

TIA, Gary.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 07:56:46 +0000
From: Fuzzball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem

XaosSlaad wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Ok, those excellent bastards on the .setup list got me up and running!
> I thank them for all their help, I'm dual booting with Mi¢ro$haft Winbloze
> 95 and RedHat Linux 5.2.  Everything works great, the 3com card, the web
> server, the SCSI, the video, EVERYTHING .........except the dreaded modem.
> Im using an external USR 33.6 Fax Modem (not winmodem), I finally managed to
> get the thing to where it dials, next problem--------The Receive and Send
> lights are dead after it negotiates a connection............That's right,
> the damn thing actually dials, negotiates a connection, sits connected for
> about a minute (albeit dead) and then disconnects.  It works fine in the
> Winbloze environment with the same settings...........Got any ideas, is my
> login script stuff just screwed up?  I found a lot of resources on the web
> and one that might help, but nothing specific to this kind of symptom and
> I'm trying to gather everything up I can for info before i give it a go
> tomorrow
>
> Thanks for your help,
> XaosSlaad
>
> P.S. Remember I am the epitome of a retard when in comes to Linux at this
> time and juncture, so please explain if you have the patience to do so.
> (hope that will change soon, after all I DID get it installed with a whacko
> setup...............)
>
> Thanks

I am using a US Robotics 56K V.90 external modem.

Start the netcfg program.  In the Names tab, add your name servers for
your ISP.  This is most likely two numbers, but it may be more.  You can
call your ISP, or preferably you will find this on their homepage.  It
will be a series of numbers such as 123.456.789.2.  After you have added
that select Save at the bottom.  Now select the Interfaces tab at the
top, select Add, PPP, fill  in your information, select customize
Communication, try using this init string  "AT&F&H1&R2&B1&K1&M4", with
out quotes.  I found a line that looked like this ~-- in my interfaces
mene, I removed it.

It should look like this.

Modem init string: AT&F&H1&R2&B1&K1&M4

Modem dial command: ATDT

Phone number: ISP number

Expect          Send

ogin:           your login name
ord:            your isp password
TIMEOUT         By default this is 5, I use 10.  You may need to experiment.

My modem switchs are as follows.  3,7,8 down all others up.  The init
string should be similar because we are both using US Robotics modems.
You can learn what the init strings do on the US Robotics website.
www.usr.com  I found a listing of all the possible modem commands
there.  For some reason unknown to me, their recommended way of setup
didn't work for me in RedHat Linux.

P.S. The four series of Netscape for Linux is not very good.  If you
have problems try 3.04.

Enjoy

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 07:59:42 +0000
From: Fuzzball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/PPP-Tips/

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 08:13:09 +0000
From: Fuzzball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but
am stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <76scch$egk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > In article <368e843f.9078609@news>,
> >   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DG) wrote:
> > > AH SHUT YOUR FARTFACE UP !!! YOU AIN'T GOT NO RIGHT TO TELL ME HOW TO
> > > GROW UP SO STUFF A PIE IN YOUR FACE, POOPKNOCKER !!!
> >
> > Doesn't you mom need  to use her computer back yet?  She is really gonna be
> > mad when she finds out all the time you have wasted, crying like a baby
> > because your too stupid to figure out an FTP install.  I know exactly how to
> > do it, for any recent red hat version.        I sure as hell am not gonna help
> you
> > out though, moron.  You should just quit, after all it didn't work easy the
> > first time, why bother trying again.  I think this philosophy will go very
> > far with you in life. If it's not easy just cry because you deserve a free
> > ride.
> >
> > Sure I can help.
> > Whats Your Username?
> >

> He doesn't have a mom.  She dumped him at birth.  You see it in nature, the
> mother abandons its child and nobody knows why, until the child grows up.
> Mothers have a sense about these kind of things early on.
>
> -Davester
>
> --

Why do you fight evil with evil?  This sort of thing happens all over
usenet, while I don't agree with the original posters attitude, I don't
believe in attacking a person, who obviously expects you to attack him
or her.  I think it is best to ignore messages like this.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 11:11:02 -0800
From: "Eugene E. Devereaux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need Ethernet card recommendations

wambo wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am planning to install a cable modem connection in my house, and do not
> have an ethernet card yet.
> The connection will be of 4Mbps max. Therefore, i was planning to buy a
> standard NE2000 compatible.
> However, with all the w95 hardware we find these days, I want to make sure
> the card I buy is fully supported under Linux.
>
> Is the Etherlink III working fine under Linux ? Do you have any suggestions
> ?
>
> Thanks for your replies.
>
> Please send email to :
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Thanks.

I have a 3com905B running in my Linux RedHat 5.2 box connected to a Cisco 675
DSL Router and it works fine.

Cheers
Gene Devereaux

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 08:21:26 +0000
From: Fuzzball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

When running the xf86config program, don't select the server that
corresponds with the Mach64 card.  Instead select the accelerated X
server, option four, then Mach64.  This may be fixed in the latest
XFree.

------------------------------

From: "Alan Davies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Swap file size with large amounts of RAM
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 17:25:00 -0000

Hi there.  Just wandering what a sensible swap file size should be for me.
I have 192MB of RAM and currently a 30MB swap file.  I don't do any really
intensive work in Linux, so I can't see the swap file ever being needed
really.  Would it be a sensible move to get rid of it, most guides say to
double RAM to get swap file size, which would be ridiculous for me ....

Under NT I have a 203MB page file, which I don't really need all of, but
it's what it's happiest with and I DO run very intensive apps under Windows.
Any recommendations for the Linux side of things ??

Al

------------------------------

From: "Gary J Sanderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster  AWE64
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 08:31:26 -0000

At the risk of sounding stupid (being new to Linux myself) I had the same
problem, if you can get into Windows and make nots of the IRQ, DMA's &
memory ranges (I think they're called). Then rename the isapnp.conf file to
something else - then run sndconf. Hey..... it worked for me!

I tried for ages to get the damn thing to work before removing the
isapnp.conf file! My modem works too now!

HTH, Gary.

------------------------------

From: "Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No mouse...
Date: 1 Jan 1999 18:29:06 GMT

I am having some of the same problems with my ps2 mouse. If you installed
gpm and started it at boot. you might try /dev/gpmdata when xf86config
prompts you for the mouse address.
                                                                Allen

James Barley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<76fc5l$c54$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "ochre small" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: netcomm Inmodem 33.6
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 18:30:51 +0930

Does anyone out there have any hints on how to get this plug&pray nightmare
working with linux?
I am running RH5.2 on a P166 dualboot with win95 until I can get the modem
and then PPP working under linux .
Any advice appreciated.

dave

From: Kazin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD K62-3d and 2.0.36
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 22:13:51 -0500

Tim Kelley wrote:

> Is anyone running 2.0.x with an AMD?  I have an intel P233 now, I am
> considering switching.  Is the K62 worth getting?

        I've been using a K6-200 clocked to 225Mhz (75Mhz bus) for about a year
now, with Linux 2.0.x (currently 2.0.34), and I've had no problems
whatsoever.

> Also, it seems my kernel's already been "optimised" for intel 586 ...
> will it boot if I plug an AMD in, or should I recompile first?

        Optimized means it'll run best on that, not that it won't run on
anything else.  You should be fine.  And besides, there's no
optimization for the K6 in 2.0.x kernels.

  Mike Stella                             Software / Systems Engineer
  http://www.sector13.org/kazin            Thirteen Technologies, LLC

From: Sebastien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 82C931 and DTCT436E
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 23:00:39 +0100

Hi
I am looking for any information about using sound card based
on 82C931 and SCSI-2 card with DTCT436E (bundled with scanner).

Seb.

------------------------------

From: Andrea Borgia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [HELP] Lilo & Large SCSI Drives
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 07:08:47 GMT

On Mon, 04 Jan 1999 15:08:17 +1100,
in article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig McFarlane) wrote:

>TWIMC,
>I've been struggling to get Red-Hat 5.2 smoothly running on my new PII system.
>Gigabyte GA-BXDS (Dual Processor, AIC-7895 Dual Ultra-Wide SCSI motherboard)

Grab the updated boot disks from updates.redhat.com and try again: the
pre-2.0.36 kernel as shipped with 5.2 has a few problems with the
adaptec driver.

Bye.
--
Alias:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
sysadm on cantina.students.cs.unibo.it

------------------------------

From: "Todd D. Diers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 06:51:21 GMT

Kazin wrote:

> Tim Kelley wrote:
> >
> > Is anyone running 2.0.x with an AMD?  I have an intel P233 now, I am
> > considering switching.  Is the K62 worth getting?

I am using Redhat 5.2 on a K6-2 350 and 333 and have no problems so far.

Todd

------------------------------

From: "Theolsens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Multipass C5000 and Redhat Linux 5.2
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 22:22:20 +1300

Hi, I work for Canon in New Zealand, and am just investigating installation
of Redhat5.2, although unable to get it going yet!
I do know however, the difficulties of the MultiPass range of multifunction
printers. They all need a virtual device driver loaded by MS Windows in
order to print/fax/scan. Without that, ie on any other OS, I believe you
won't get it running. Canon do this because of the control that the
Multipass needs to have over the parallel port.
If you look in your windows system.ini file you will find the device driver
reference, usually device=c:\mpass\cis1284.386
If anyone you know can convert that file into something usable by Linux,
then I'm sure Canon would want to know. The Multipass range doesn't work
under NT either, because NT won't let it have control of the LPT port.

The opinions expressed here are my own only. I'm a senior Digital Support
Specialist with Canon NZ.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
<76u5id$nc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi. I have a multipass C5000 printer and attached to the parallel port
IOMEGA