From: "Juha Saarinen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: SCSI AHA-152x and redhat install
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 23:28:11 +1300

Try:

aha152x=0x340,11,7,0 instead -- the 0 disables the SCSI reconnect .

Worked for me on my old TI 4000M laptop...

Cheers,

-- Juha

------------------------------

From: "Clifton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internal K56Flex/V.90 internal modems
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 19:13:03 +0930

Cheers, the advice is most reassuring.

------------------------------

From: Micha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cdrom writers
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 11:26:39 +0100

ross wrote:

> I hoped somebody might be able to tell me if any cdrom writers
>
> are supported by SuSE and or manufacturers. All enquiries at resellers seem
>
> point to be Windows only compatible AND only after software is loaded.
>
> Does fstab mount a cdrom writer as a iso cdrom r-w etc. Does modprobe find as an
>
> IDE device. Am I talking out of my bum?
>
> I do want to buy one (got a lot of old vinyl lp's that I'd like to annoy my
>
> neighbours with but don't dare let my kids near a turntable) but don't want
>
> to be stuck with Bill G calling the tunes.
>
> Help / comments / any reply appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ross

If you wanna be on the secure side, buy a SCSI-device
( yes, higher price, but less trouble ) and
check Schilys cdrecord site for a list of supported drives
at
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html
Also check the link to the "CD Building project" to see some
other related software ( and their supported hardware )
- e.g. cdrdao ( best software I've ever seen to write audio CDs)

BYE,
        schulzmi

              Michael Schulze
               FH-Brandenburg
         http://zeus.fh-brandenburg.de/~schulzmi
        email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"...when your girlfriend's got a penis something's wrong..."
        K's Choice

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SCSI emulation in Linux
Date: 6 Jan 1999 19:54:30 GMT

Jeffrey Golds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am trying to get my CDROM burner to work in Linux, but the
>software I have (cdrecorder and some GUI interfaces) seems to
>only work with SCSI drives.
>
>I compiled the 2.1.131 kernel with SCSI emulation enabled but
>I am unsure as to how I should configure my devices to get
>the CDROM drive detected as a SCSI drive.
>
>Currently, these are the drives I have installed:
>
>hda:   harddrive
>hdb:   harddrive
>hdc:   CDROM burner
>hdd:   CDROM reader

First of all, the FAQ at unc.edu is obsolete; you can get the latest
at http://www.guug.de/~winni/linux/cdr/.  Even so, in the area of
SCSI emulation of ATAPI devices, good information is hard to find.

See ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/README.ATAPI and note
in particular that you do NOT have to disable generic IDE support.
This excerpt is of special interest:

  Here is a hint from Alan Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
  To allow ATAPI cd and ide-scsi support on the same machine, add
  `hd<x>=ide-scsi` to the lilo.conf append entry, or use
  `hd<x>=ide-scsi` at the bootup lilo prompt.
  I have my HP-7200 RW drive as the primary drive on the second IDE
  bus, so the statement used is "hdc=ide-scsi"

Incidentally I think you'll get better performance from your hard
drives if they are on separate IDE channels (i.e., hda and hdc).

Good luck!

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                         Starting at $499

From: Juhan Ernits <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.tape
Subject: Iomega DITTO 2GB tape + ftape
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 12:48:27 +0200

Hello good people!

And again there is a problem the signatory cannot solve by himself, so
if anybody has a solution I'm most thankful.

Problem: RedHat 5.2 with 2.0.36-1 kernel + filehandle patch for Squid. A
PII with Intel Seattle BX-2 motherboard. A 2GB Ditto hanging on the same
cable with floppy drive. Ftape 4.02.

The drive is recognized: the contents of the files in /proc/ftape/0 make
sense. Retension 'mt retension' works but that is about it. The base
address for floppy controller is set to 0x3f0, dma to 2, irq to 6.

I cannot read nor write the tape. /proc/ftape/0/cartridge says:
'cartridge not formatted'. But Ditto does not format it's tapes? I have
a preformatted Ditto 2GB tape. The program prompts: 'operation not
permitted' or sth similar if I try to read or write sth. What could be
the problem?

Thanks in advance

Juhan Ernits

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Piniek (aka Piotr Ingling))
Subject: Re: Struggle with Soundblaster PCI128
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 20:58:01 GMT

Dnia 6 Jan 1999 12:53:01 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Markolf Gudjons) napisa³(a):

>Smkurp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Exactly, none of the SB PCI cards are compatible with the kernel drivers for
>> SB.  The best bet is to go  get the open sound drivers for unix at
>> www.opensound.com.  They worked for me.
>Or get the development kernel. I run a Soundblaster 64 PCI under
>2.1.131 and it works great.

Or try your luck with ALSA (http://alsa.jcu.cz)...

                         Piotr Ingling

                e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Ayman Haidar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IDE Optical Drive
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 19:56:44 +0000

Hello:

I was wondering if an IDE Optical drive is supported under Linux, the
one I have is NEC PD650. I tried to look up anything about it with no
success. I noticed there is a mini HOWTO about optical drives but they
were talking about SCSI ones.

when I boot the drive is recognized as a regular ATAPI CDROM, which I
can use as such.. but I was wondering if I can write to it.

my setup is RedHat 5.2 Kernel 2.0.36.

thanks for any help

Ayman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Re: things I'd pay to have developed for Linux...
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 20:13:38 GMT

On 2 Jan 1999 12:50:47 +0800, Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>LVM.

Sorry my ignorance - but what's that?
--
                       Greets from over there
                       Dagurashibanipal

Nothing travels faster than light.
With, of course, the exception of bad news.     -- D. Adams

------------------------------

From: gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Manual Switch boxes, Any hope?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 10:14:58 +0000

I have travelled this learning curve, but more along the lines of
switching monitors keyboard and mouse at the same time. The manual boxes
I tried were too poor to cope with the screen frequencies being driven
down the cable. I resorted to a digital box. More expensive, and I still
have a slight flicker / shake at my preferred resolution.

Regardless, the digital boxes are useful in that they shadow the
existance of monitor / mouose / keyboard to the "inactive" machine at
all times, including boot. This is very useful. I don't recall the linux
box forgetting that it had a keyboard, but manual switch boxes can
seldom cope with Microsoft intellimouses (and other "advanced" mice I
suspect) which uses all (8?) data lines in the cable wheras traditional
mice only use 7 and the manual sqitch does not swith the last ... ;-).
Then again, the digital box I have now struggles to cope with it as
well, and takes a few seconds to get it up and running after a switch.
Thus I have two mice, one keyboard, and one monitor.

So, if you can afford the expense, the digital boxes are the way to go.
Alternatively, although you get clutter, another keyboard is cheap.

Cheers

gus

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clive DaSilva)
Subject: Re: Compiling kernel w/ AMD K62-350
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 21:09:06 GMT

hello scott

i have almost the same setup AMD K6-ii 300mhz cpu
i used pentium when i upgraded my kernel (Slackware 2.0.34) ->36
good luck

"Scott M. Cooley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I just got me a new AMD K62-350 chip and board and it runs great,
>clocking in at 701 bogomips.  I've always used cyrix or amd chips, so
>i've always compiled with the 386 processor type in the kernel config
>since the clone chips have piping errors if you compile as a Pentium or
>P-Pro.
>
>My question is, can I compile a kernel with this chip as Pentium or PPro
>or do I need to stick with selecting 386?
>
>please email me.
>
>thanks,
>scott

Clive DaSilva CMA
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage: http://www.Geocities.com/Broadway/2207

------------------------------

From: Wolfgang Kalthoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any experience with SMC Elite16 ISA 10BT NIC?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 12:23:56 +0100

Chong Liang Ooi wrote:

> Hi!
>
>     I just got myself 2 SMC Elite16 10BaseT NIC, anyone use them before?
> Compatible with Linux? Need a pointer to configure them connecting 2
> linux machines.
>
>     Please post. Thanks.
>
> ~ Chong
Hi Chong,

when SMC overtook WD`s NICs department, they renamed the WD8013 to
Elite16.
The wd-driver works fine.

Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Kalthoff    | S iemens             | email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "James R. Lunsford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc,comp.protocols.ppp
Subject: Re: Anyone use bellatlantic & Linux?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:40:17 -0500

The Baron wrote:

> Sorry about the xposts -- following the original.
>
> Thanks to Ken McCord for the BULLSHIT non-answer (I've already gotten
> the Deja News posts, but they still do not answer the question.
>
> Thanks to Robert Taylor for at least trying. So far his solutions
> haven't worked.
>
> Now, to the crux of the problem:  What the HELL is really necessary to
> connect from Linux (RedHat 5.2, which has the latest pppd version --
> ends in a 5, but I can't get to it since I'm logged on via Win98) to
> Bell Atlantic's network (bellatlantic.net). I got the DNS info from a
> Deja News search.

I'm using Debian but I *AM* connecting to bellatlantic.  The first thing
I did was to use WVdial and it worked for me right out of the box.  I don't
know
why it worked for me and I've finally gotten pon to work also.  Don't know
how I
got pon working, just fooled around with it.  I'd be happy to share any
config files
etc with you.  I can't tell you much about WVdial, the first time I used it,
I was
able to connect to bellatlantic.

If you know what config files you need examples of, I'd be happy to send them to you.

------------------------------

From: Forrest Hoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Intermittently SLOW 486 Machines
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 16:13:00 -0500

==============6EF42167E3228654BF26EB8B

I've encountered a number of 486DX2 66 MHz machines which exibit really
unusual behavior.  These machines sometimes run 10-15 times slower than
they normally should.  Using a couple of benchmarks (including
BOGOMIPS), I've determined that these machines run at typical 486/66
speeds (when they are "well") and appear to be well configured.  The
machines get "sick" and "well" apparently at random.  Rebooting
sometimes makes them better, but not always.  You can run a code, get a
slow time, then run the same exact code again and get the expected
time.  Some machines are sick more often than others.

The problem is real.  It is not a problem with the clock.  Times are
reported correctly and the speed never changes while a code is running
(i.e., it either runs at the slow speed or at the fast speed).  We've
seen this behavior under RedHat 4.1, 4.2, and 5.1.

The machines all have Mylex or Northgate BIOS versions 6.1x or 6.2x.  We
don't see this behavior from AMI BIOS machines.

Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem?  Does anyone have
suggestions for a fix (besides replacing the machines...we already
thought of that)?

--
Forrest Hoffman                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Environmental Sciences Division     http://www.esd.ornl.gov/~forrest

==============6EF42167E3228654BF26EB8B

begin:          vcard
fn:             Forrest Hoffman
n:              Hoffman;Forrest
org:            ORNL Environmental Sciences Division
adr:            Building 1505, Room 216, MS 6036;;P.O. Box 2008;Oak
Ridge;Tennessee;37831-6036;USA
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;work:       423-576-7680
tel;fax:        423-576-8543
note;quoted-printable:Check out my homepage at=0D=0A=
        http://www.esd.ornl.gov/~forrest=0D=0A=

x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

From: Hendrik Budde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: hpdj710c
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 20:45:16 +0100

hello friends,
does anyone know how to run an hpdj710c
with linux and colors ?

i know it´s a GDI    ; (

try yo´ best !

             Hendrik  (Hamburg/Germany)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (User470357)
Subject: please help ver
Date: 6 Jan 1999 21:26:18 GMT

5.1
 I have redhat on a 225cds satellite toshiba labtop. I can't get x windows up
and running the trouble is I can't find the Hor and ver refresh rates, the
mannual, tech line, and web site don't give them out. Linux is the only thing
currently installed on the box.

---> the web page does give this out "(Refresh Rate @ 800x600/ 64K colors
Non-Interlaced : Vert.: 85 Hz)" but not the hor rate

the LCD is   12.1 siagonal Dual scan Passive Matrix Color
Dot pitch .30mm x .30mm /contrast ratio: 27.1. avg   Internal resolution 800 x
600
64kcolors

video Chips and tech. F65554 2mb (is picked up by auto probe)
(225 is not listed on common web sites that give out configs)

------------------------------

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!!
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 14:04:12 -0700

DG wrote:

> YOU AIN'T NO F****** BODY TO JUDGE LIKE THAT. DON'T EVER LET ME SEE
> YOU POST LIKE THAT OR I'LL KICK YOUR MF A** !!!

Well perhaps your provider is in a position to judge ...

------------------------------

From: fred <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: carte TV MIRO PCTV
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 13:03:15 +0000

salut, j'ai une carte TV Miro PCTV et je souhaiterai l'utiliser sous
Linux. est ce quelqu'un pourrai m'aider à le faire...

Merci

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux 2.0.36 UDMA on MVP3?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 12:13:47 GMT

Stephen Anthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

: >Hello,

: >I recently upgraded from Linux 2.0.35 to 2.0.36, and, much to my
: >surprize, MVP3 UDMA isn't supported in this kernel!  Or is it?  I
: >can't find a single trace of the Jumbo patch in the kernel source.

: I'm interested in finding this out as well.  I can get 8.5 MB/s
: using the 32bit option of hdparm under 2.0.36.  When I boot using
: 2.1.131 kernel, the same hdparm, setting gives 12.76 MB/s (UDMA enabled)!

That's great!  What's your system?

: I've heard of that Jumbo patch.  Last time I looked at the site it
: said than since the patch would soon be integrated into a stable
: kernel, they are removing it from their site.  Haven't heard about
: it since.

Yes, I've seen that too, but the point is, it isn't in 2.0.36.  And
I'd really prefer to stick with stable kernels at this point.

: Steve

Charles Wright