Linux-Hardware Digest #125, Volume #14            Wed, 3 Jan 01 18:13:09 EST

Contents:
  boot sector corrupt...maybe? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Red Hat 6.2 can't install -- is it the RAID controllers? ("Jarle Martin
Lauritzen")
  Re: access to hpfs partitions (John Thompson)
  Re: Step-by step to install Linux RH7 and Win98. (John Thompson)
  Re: sound recording (Tim)
  DAT in RH7 ("Mike")
  ncr810 problems on non-supporting motherboard (Thimo Jansen)
  Re: DAT in RH7 (John Peach)
  Re: CD Burner (Oleg Krivosheev)
  Re: CD Burner (Aulne)
  Re: adaptec 29160 and linux (Dragan Colak)
  Re: DAT in RH7 ("Steve Shelby")
  Re: Step-by step to install Linux RH7 and Win98. (Leonard Evens)
  problem with floppy.... (David Boucher)
  Re: Linux Routers/Servers (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: Local Printer Setup (HP Laser Jet 5L) under RH7 (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: Local Printer Setup (HP Laser Jet 5L) under RH7 (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: Problem with windows after RH7 install(dual boot) (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: Printer problems (Mark Bratcher)
  Grecord alternative? (Mark Bratcher)
  Sound Help in Corel (Henry Fernandes)
  Re: Netgear FA310TX: making manual settings work ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Subject: boot sector corrupt...maybe?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 18:24:07 GMT

I have an HP Pavilion which has been running Windows 98SE and RedHat 7.0
for some time now.  Suddenly, it will no longer boot from the hard
drive.  It also will not boot from either the windows cd or a windows
boot floppy disk.  It WILL boot from the RedHat install disk and from a
RedHat boot floppy.  Once it has booted, I can see that the data is
still on the disk and it looks like its ok.

I am guessing this is a bad boot sector on my disk, but I can't
understand why a bad boot sector on the HD would keep a windows floppy
from booting the computer.

Has anyone seen this before?  Is there any solution which does not
involve buying a new hard drive?

Thanks
James

Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Jarle Martin Lauritzen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 6.2 can't install -- is it the RAID controllers?
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 19:37:16 +0100

You need a bootdisk if you want to use the HPT controller
http://sweb.uky.edu/~mabran3/linux/hpt/
it worked for me :=)
Jarle

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: access to hpfs partitions
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 11:19:32 -0600

Dennis Tuchler wrote:

> has anyone installed Linux on a hd with OS/2 on it?

Yes, you can install linux on a system which already has OS/2 and
dual-boot between them.  You can use either lilo or IBM's Boot
Manager to handle this job.

> Have you had
> trouble mounting the hpfs partitions to read and copy files from those
> partitions? I had to change the file type parameter in the properties
> menues of the icons with which I wanted to have access to these
> partitions. No go.  Error message was totally unhelpful, listing various
> reasons for not mounting the partition.

Do you have hpfs support enabled in linux?  You can compile it as
a module in the linux kernel configuration.  Do note, however,
that the default hpfs support that comes with the kernel is
read-only.  You have to pick up read-write support separately and
recompile the module if you intend to write to your hpfs
filesystem from linux.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Step-by step to install Linux RH7 and Win98.
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 11:37:36 -0600

gataway wrote:

> I'm going to setup a new system with two ATA 100 harddisk, one for win
> 98 the other for  Linux RH7.I'm planning to have BootMAgic and Partition
> Magic install .
> So which OS do i install first?

Install Win98 first, otherwise it will stomp on linux' boot
loader.

> And what partition is needed for noth
> win98SE and Linux?

Microsoft operating systems insist on booting from the first
primary partition on the first physical device.  There are ways
around this, but if you're starting fresh, why bother.  Other
operating systems, including linux, do not share this
limitation.  Install your linux partitions as logical partitions
inside an extended partition and you shouldn't have any problems.

> Can i have and exmaple of how much space for each
> partition?

As much as you can spare.  Just guess at first and then further
down the road you can repartition to redistribute the space to
fit your needs, once you find out what they are...

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sound recording
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 14:48:33 -0500

Hi Alain,

Alain Soucy wrote:

> I just installed  a sound blaster live! in my linux box. I use the Alsa
> drivers and everything
> seem to work fine, exept for the recording.
>
> When the X-server is running no recording is possible... 'arecord' is
> locked and can't open the device...
>
> On the console, when X is not running,  everything works ok
>
> any idea ???

I use a program called "grecord", a sound recorder for Gnome that
works--and looks--almost exactly like Win98 soundrecorder. Works fine
with my SB PCI128.

Good Luck!
Tim

--
Timothy J. Schutte
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DAT in RH7
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 17:13:05 -0400

Hi,

I have a DAT unit in my server which it is recognized in the boot as:

[root@mary /]# dmesg
scsi0 : ncr53c8xx - version 3.2a-2
scsi1 : ncr53c8xx - version 3.2a-2
scsi : 2 hosts.
ncr53c876-1-<6,*>: FAST-10 SCSI 10.0 MB/s (100 ns, offset 16)
  Vendor: HP        Model: C1537A            Rev: L708
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0

I think that the dev file for this is st0, is this correct?

so, how I make for install this and configure?

thank you!

------------------------------

From: Thimo Jansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ncr810 problems on non-supporting motherboard
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:33:19 -0100

Hi,

Recently I moved my ncr810 SCSI controller from an Asus to an Abit
motherboard. The Asus supported the Bios-less ncr810, but the Abit doesn't
(AFAIK). I thought, no problem, I don't want to boot from it anyway, but
now I seem to be unable to use the SCSI hardware. At the console I
constantly get the following message:

ncr53c810-0:0: ERROR (a0:0) (8-0-0) (8/13) @ (scripth 570:88080000).
ncr53c810-0: script cmd = 88080000
ncr53c810-0: regdump: da 00 00 13 47 08 00 1f 35 08 80 00 80 00 0f 02.
ncr53c810-0: have to clear fifos.

While I am able to access the HD/CD-Rom, the card just keeps on resetting
and the hardware is very hard to use.

Does anyone know if these problems come from moving the parts, maybe
wrecking the SCSI cable, or are they caused by the lack of support in the
motherboard's BIOS for the BIOS-less ncr810? Do I have to go out and get a
"decent" SCSI card???

Many thanks in advance!

Thimo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Peach)
Subject: Re: DAT in RH7
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:39:55 GMT

In article <930131$8gf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
|>Hi,
|>
|>I have a DAT unit in my server which it is recognized in the boot as:
|>
|>[root@mary /]# dmesg
|>scsi0 : ncr53c8xx - version 3.2a-2
|>scsi1 : ncr53c8xx - version 3.2a-2
|>scsi : 2 hosts.
|>ncr53c876-1-<6,*>: FAST-10 SCSI 10.0 MB/s (100 ns, offset 16)
|>  Vendor: HP        Model: C1537A            Rev: L708
|>  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
|>Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
|>
|>I think that the dev file for this is st0, is this correct?
|>
|>so, how I make for install this and configure?

You don't need to do anything else; just use it :-)

tar cvf /dev/st0 blah

------------------------------

From: Oleg Krivosheev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD Burner
Date: 03 Jan 2001 14:42:39 -0600

scatterman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> for some damned reason all cdr's are treated as scsi, even by windows.

because ATAPI == SCSI over IDE

ok

------------------------------

From: Aulne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:36:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Paul Oliver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

I am also installing a CD burner, the TEAC CD-W54E, but so far with no
results.  I get from running cdrecord -scanbus that the file or directory
does not exist, cannot open SCSI driver.  Here's what I do.

> Basically you will follow these steps:

> 1.  Get SCSI working if you don't already (yes, even if you don't have a
> SCSI card)
>  This is done by recompiling your kernel--not hard.  This creates the
> ide-scsi module

I have ide-scsi loaded.  I have sg loaded.

> 2.  Set up your symbolic links appropriately:
>  ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdburner

I have these two links configured:

/dev/cdrom -> scd0
/dev/cdburner -> /dev/scd0

> 3.  Set up lilo to make the kernel use ide-scsi:
>  append=" mem=256M hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-floppy"
>  (hdb is my cdburner, this causes it to be /dev/scd0)
>  (hdc is a zip drive so I use the ide-floppy kernel module)

I have the following line in lilo.conf:

append="hdc=ide-scsi"

(I have two hard disks, so the CD is hdc)

> 4.  Get cdrecord:

Got it.

> 5.  Get xcdroast:

I think I'll wait 'til I get results ;-)

There are lots of sg[n] devices in /dev.  SCSI, SCSI CD-ROM supports are
compiled into the kernel.  The CD unit works for listening to music or
reading data.  At least it worked before I changed the links above.  Now I
don't have the permission as user to acces the disc (when clicking on the
CDROM icon) and mount says that it's impossible to find /dev/scd0.

Of course, scd0 is in /dev and is part of the group cdwriter.

Here are the loaded modules:

sg                     15872   0  (unused)
ide-scsi                7664   0
emu10k1                42480   1  (autoclean)
soundcore               2800   4  (autoclean) [emu10k1]
r128                   63696   6
agpgart                19728   2  [r128]
hisax                 470096   3
isdn                  104208   3  [hisax]
slhc                    4544   1  [isdn]
3c90x                  21472   1  (autoclean)
nls_cp437               3952  12  (autoclean)
vfat                    9408   6  (autoclean)
fat                    30432   6  (autoclean) [vfat]
supermount             14224   2  (autoclean)

As anyone seen this kind of problem?  I'm new to CD burners.  I have read the
HOW-TO.

Alain

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Dragan Colak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: adaptec 29160 and linux
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 22:15:01 +0100

Udo Ebner wrote:

> i'd like to install suse linux 7.0 personal edition, and i can boot the
> system about my scsi-cd-rom drive with the suse cd. but if it starts to
> load the kernel it looses the scsi controller.
>
> at the homepages from suse and adaptec i could read, that the controller
> will be supported.
>
> i couldn't find a modul, whith which it runs.
>
> please help me

Hi Udo,

I'm using an Adaptec 29160 with SuSE 7.0 Pro (2.2.16) and didn't
have any problems with it. It gets recognized at install and all drives
attached to it work perfectly (2X HDD, CD-Writer, ZIP).
But I have to say during setup I boot the DVD with an IDE DVD-ROM.
This works without any problems.

When typing "manual" at the initial boot prompt you first get some
non-graphical questions about your system. Here you can choose
load the SCSI support. Later you can choose between YaST1 or 2.

Hope this helps

Dragan

------------------------------

From: "Steve Shelby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 14:47:04 -0600

It seems to be working.  Try 'taper' and see if you can talk to the drive.
or try the free version of Arkeia.

news:930131$8gf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:26:19 -0600

gataway wrote:

> I'm going to setup a new system with two ATA 100 harddisk, one for win
> 98 the other for  Linux RH7.I'm planning to have BootMAgic and Partition
> Magic install .
> So which OS do i install first? And what partition is needed for noth
> win98SE and Linux? Can i have and exmaple of how much space for each
> partition? I will
> Install most of the application and games on win98SE ,as for linux i am
> a newbie still
> need to explore more about it.Kindly give me a senerio on what to do.

I don't see any reason to use Partition Magic and Boot Magic.
You should install Windows 98 on the first disk and then afterwards
install Linux on the second disk.  This should be pretty routine.
You should put the lilo boot loader in the master boot record of
the first disk.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: David Boucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem with floppy....
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:56:45 -0600

Looking on various search sites I found references to the same problems but
never any solutions...

new floppy drive, Redhat 6.2, no problems seen on bootup, tried several
floppies and they all work fine on other machines

When I enter the following commands this is what I get along with the floppy
light working:

[root@cdm42-080 boucher]# fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
Double-sided, 80 tracks, 18 sec/track. Total capacity 1440 kB.
Formatting ...
ioctl(FDFMTBEG): No such device
[root@cdm42-080 boucher]# mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0H1440 $(uname -r)
Insert a disk in /dev/fd0H1440. Any information on the disk will be lost.
Press <Enter> to continue or ^C to abort:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0H1440,
       or too many mounted file systems

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks

David

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Routers/Servers
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 16:59:14 -0500

==============FDB65E91A1FF4A0E49B6858F

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> Neil Cherry wrote:
[snip[
> > BTW, I'm going to be working on an article on how to build diskless
> > Linux boxen to perform routing functionality. I guess my price may be
> > a bit better as I'm only selling the article to a magazine and all the
> > code and such will be free (I'm not in business).
>
> Great!
[snip]

Have you seen the Linux Router Project (LRP)? They have a web-based config page
where you type in a bunch of info about your system (NICs, IPs, etc) and the
email you a floppy image that you can boot from a floppy and, voila, you have a
router without a hard drive.
==============FDB65E91A1FF4A0E49B6858F

begin:vcard
n:Bratcher;Mark
tel;fax:716/288-4604
tel;work:716/288-7220
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.tpr.com
org:Torrey Pines Research
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Director of Software Development
adr;quoted-printable:;;565 Blossom Road=0D=0ASuite A;Rochester;New York;14610;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;19472
fn:Bratcher, Mark
end:vcard

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Local Printer Setup (HP Laser Jet 5L) under RH7
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 17:10:06 -0500

==============B47BE076EF4DA02DADCE52A4

Jan,

It sounds like the printer port itself didn't get recognized at boot time.

Check /var/log/messages for boot-up messages related to the lp port(s). If you
have just one port (LPT1) it should be /dev/lp0.

Mark

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 17:11:12 -0500

==============AC675A414D4D454C200D24FB

You need to provide a little more info than just "I can't see my Canon...". Does
your system recognize the lp port (eg, does printtool execute properly)? What
printer model did you select in printtool?

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Problem with windows after RH7 install(dual boot)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 17:17:59 -0500

==============3882F3B1A13F025133DEE48B

Windows is punishing you for installing a non-MS operating system on your PC.
;-)

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printer problems
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 17:20:31 -0500

==============43456E5DA1506005DE14456D

The 712C is a PPA (ie, "Windows") printer and you need to use a special driver,
"pnm2ppa". See www.linuxprinting.org.

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Grecord alternative?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 17:22:29 -0500

==============CB63A564E54FFF3027F9237F

Does anyone know of a sound recording app that will also show the line-in
recording levels? Without that, I don't see how I can adjust the levels for
recording from line-in.

Thanks.
Mark

From: Henry Fernandes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Help in Corel
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 22:23:17 GMT

I'm running Corel Linux (the downloadable version), with a SoundBlaster
16 original(ISA).  I can't get the sound to work.  I have tried
reinstalling Corel Linux at least 3 times with no success.  sndconfig
tells me there is no PNP or PCI card available. The documentation tells
me to try installing OSS but it didn't install with the default
installation.  I have tried to download OSS but couldn't get it to work
either.  There are a couple of other things I have tried from the
console, I can't quite remember the commands now, but it was the one
where you input your irq's, etc in manually, that did not work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Henry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Netgear FA310TX: making manual settings work
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 22:57:10 GMT

Dan White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There is a diagnostics utility for tulip chipsets that should also let
> you change several settings for the card during runtime. See

I tried the tulip-diag.c one, but it didn't work no matter what I tried.
What _did_ work was the mii-diag.c that I had overlooked until yesterday.
The documentation wasn't quite clear enough, but I managed to figure out
the right sequence of commands to do what I needed it to do.

So, thanks for coaxing me back in that direction, Dan.

Best,

Greg