From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scallica)
Subject: Damn ethernet card....
Date: 11 Jan 1999 21:06:12 GMT

Hey,

I installed Redhat Linux 5.2 and it found the network card nicely. However,
when I am logged in, i keep getting a message every 5 min that sez:

eth0: transmit timed out, Tx_Status 00 status 2000 Tx FIFO room 1488

How can I get rid of this? Thanx....

------------------------------

From: Andreas Bombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO and booting from scsi
Date: 11 Jan 1999 18:34:39 +0100

Adrian Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Stefan Frank ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> : I tried to install LILO on the MBR ( boot =/dev/sda) and on the
> : boot record of partition one (sda1 = the / partition), but no luck.

> You could try giving Lilo your disk configuration in lilo.conf. Mine
> starts as follows:

> serial=0,9600n8         # for my serial console.
> boot=/dev/sda
> disk=/dev/sda
> bios=0x80
> sectors=32
> heads=64
> cylinders=2014
[disk geometry snipped]

I don't think all this is necessary, and basically I hate to give the
geometry when Linux can configure it out itself.  The important thing
to do is to add the bios parameter for the boot disk, my box didn't
boot from SCSI either until I added this.  This bit of information was
not immediately visible from the LILO documentation.

--
Andreas E. Bombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://home.pages.de/~andreas.bombe/

PGP 1024bit ID:0x886663c9 fingerprint: 30EC0973847B5583 C47A91D99DC54BB0
    2048bit ID:0xF62D5CC1 fingerprint: 136BBC1536B8B77A 200558E86FAAF8ED

------------------------------

From: "Jim Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wanted: PPro-200 w 256k
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:01:56 -0600

I've been checking pricewatch, because I have a couple pentium pro
motherboards I'm considering using for Linux servers. The cheapest cpus I
found were 150s with 256k cache, the most expensive were 200s with either
512 or 1024k cache. (the latter topped out at something like 9 thousand
bucks...) There are PPro 180 cpus with 256k cache, but for about the same
price, you could can get PPro 166s with 512k cache, which I think would be a
better deal.

------------------------------

From: "Nick Wiseman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Eagle i740 Graphics card, campatable with Linux?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:28:46 +1100

Hi,

I need to know if the eagle i740 graphics card is compatable with Linux, I
intend to buy a graphics card within the next day or two so I need a good,
inexpensive graphics card good for both Linux and Windows as well as good
for a few games.

Any ideas?

Nick

------------------------------

From: Aaron and Hifumi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: System too big
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:40:18 -0800

Ruben Decrop wrote:

> I try to recompile to kernel in order to include sound support.  I
> include the sound system as a module.  When I do a 'make zImage' the
> resulting kernel is 521K but I get a complaint that the system is too
> big.

Try 'make bzimage' instead. It makes a compressed kernel.

Aaron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Re: things I'd pay to have developed for Linux...
Date: 11 Jan 1999 21:25:47 -0600

  [me]
> >  - A volume group, which acts as a sort of meta-partition, if you
> >    will, can comprise multiple physical disks.  These can also
> >    provide redundancy not unlike RAID mirroring, as well as plain
> >    striping.  The sysadmin can add disks to an LV at will, and take
> >    them away.
[bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> You have mixed volume group (VG) and logical volume (LV) here.
> RAID-0/1 are done at the LV level, and you can't (so far as I know)
> add/delete physical volumes to a striped LV. You can make/break
> mirrors, which is how you mirror root, etc.

I got careless in remembering which layer I was describing where.  But
anyway I really *do* wish you could mirror an entire VG at once; I
tried once for quite awhile to coax AIX into doing this.  Finally
resigned to manually creating copies of each LV and remembering to do
that every time we made a new one.  Which isn't infrequent.  Never did
get around to whacking up a script for this (and a SMIT menu to go
with, just for kicks) but I think it's still somewhere down there near
the bottom of the todo list.

> Striped or mirrored, not both, at least up to 4.2.1 kernel.

You are of course correct.  Seems like a silly design limitation.

> >  - On an LV you mkfs a filesystem.  Since the LV is a block device
> >    this works just like traditional partitions/slices, except that
> >    LV's are so much easier to manipulate.
> Like an md pseudo physical device.

Like any random-access block device.  Perhaps the easiest to manipulate
in Linux are loop devices, which are great for floppy images but were
of course never meant for efficiency and scalability as long-term
solutions.

> Most people over partition their drives, IMHO. If you have only a
> single drive, as most or at least many systems do, you gain mostly
> complexity by having a bunch of partitions for the actual ext2fs
> data.
[...]
> ... garbage.  Just because you understand techniques useful on large
> systems doesn't mean you need them, or gain from them.

Right on.  I was amazed when we got an SGI O2 in here and it had IRIX
6.3 preinstalled on a single partition of the 4G disk.  I was used to
AIX which by default creates separate fs's for /, /tmp, /var, /home and
/usr not to mention swap and the jfs log (oh yes, and a /welcome full
of cute HTML, welcome to Unix in the 90s).  But really on a 4G disk and
a filesystem like IRIX's xfs there aren't many good reasons to
partition.  I now wish I hadn't insisted at the time on reinstalling
with my familiar partition table layout -- I gained a lot of headache
and little else.  Next SGI we get in, it stays one big filesystem.

> The AIX model is a good thing to understand, I'm not sure I want to
> do things exactly that way. I could go on about how I do think it
> should be done, but it's not relevant to this topic.

There are a lot of things I like about it.  Linux md is OK but seems
rather patched-together and clumsier to use.  You're right, ID strings
on each disk can cut both ways, but I think a vgck utility to repair or
compensate for incomplete or corrupted vg's would help a lot and not be
that hard to do.

Anyway, Heinz's LVM is reportedly modeled after the HP-UX one which I
understand is somewhat similar to AIX.  I eagerly await version 0.5
which has been almost here for about six months now.  I have been
reluctant to hack 0.4 (to support glibc and newer kernels) just in case
0.5 already has this stuff....

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

------------------------------

From: Phil Houstoun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: Re: P55T2P4 and AMD K6-2-350
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:40:15 -0500

==============FA4317DEC267B7A38BFB02AE

Harry McGregor wrote:

> Try setting the board to 2x without the wire.  If you have one with
> the new core, it might turn out to be 6x
>
>                         Harry

 I was just about to say... yep, I have a new core and tried out 2x
without the wire. The 2.0x66 (396Mhz) combination fails miserably on
both Win98 and Linux BUT the 2.0x60 (360Mhz) combination passess with
flying colours; I compiled the kernel ten times in a row without one
glitch. So, any idea how much of hit I'm taking by using a 60Mhz bus
speed?

--

Phil Houstoun            Voice: (613) 991-7173
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============FA4317DEC267B7A38BFB02AE

<HTML>
Harry McGregor wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Try setting the board to 2x without the wire.&nbsp;
If you have one with
<BR>the new core, it might turn out to be 6x

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Harry</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;I&nbsp;was just about to say... yep, I&nbsp;have a new core and tried
out 2x without the wire. The 2.0x66 (396Mhz) combination fails miserably
on both Win98 and Linux BUT the 2.0x60 (360Mhz) combination passess with
flying colours; I&nbsp;compiled the kernel ten times in a row without one
glitch. So, any idea how much of hit I'm taking by using a 60Mhz bus speed?
<PRE>--&nbsp;

Phil Houstoun&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Voice:
(613) 991-7173&nbsp;
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=======================================================================</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

From: Pascal Rigaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Jan 1999 22:18:48 +0100

Ruben Decrop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I try to recompile to kernel in order to include sound support.  I
> include the sound system as a module.  When I do a 'make zImage' the
> resulting kernel is 521K but I get a complaint that the system is too
> big.
>
> I have seen already kernel images that are much bigger (>700 K).  Why do
> I get this complaint, and how can I resolve it?

one solution is make bzImage which makes smaller kernel.

But you should consider using modules. It's great!

Pixel.

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Choosing a HP color printer
Date: 11 Jan 1999 12:59:18 -0800

Johan Pelgrim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm about to buy a color printer.

Don't fail to ask HP which printer works best with Linux.

If people don't ask, they will never give a good answer.

Ask the Mac people, who apparently have been cut loose
by HP.  I chose Epson last time for that reason.

------------------------------

From: autodata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundcard - ESS 1868
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:21:57 -0600

Correction: The card is an ESS 1868 (not 1828)

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rn?= Merkel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Distribution with Voodoo II?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:56:22 +0100

Dominique Javet wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a newbie with Linux, but I'll try it and I don't know what kind of
> diistribution I must choose.
> Here my PC hardware:
> PII 350 128mb with a video Rage Pro 8mb ATI 3D DAC card, 3DFX Voodoo II 12mb
> Creative, Soundblaster Live Full version, Zip internal, CD
> What kind of distribution goes well with my configuration (SUSE 6.0 don't
> support the Voodoo II card)?
>
> Kind regards, Dominique Javet
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hida !!
Voodoo II support is no problem, even for SuSE 6.0. You need Glide and
Mesa, distributed with all new distributions.

------------------------------

From: "Jose Urena" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AWE64 or PCI128?
Date: 11 Jan 1999 22:39:37 GMT

The PCI-64 and PCI-128 from ensonics, now Creative Soundblaster PCI-64 and
PCI-128
are supported by both the RedHat 5.2 using kernel 2.0.36 and by the new
linux-2.2.0-pre6 Kernel
the card works fine

Tim Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<369a70d1$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> : "Tim Gajewski, KU4IY" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> :>Hello Everybody,
> :>I am looking to buy a new sound card, either an AWE64 or PCI128.  I saw
> :>in snconfig that the AWE64 is supported, but I am wondering if it is
> :>easy to setup the PCI128?
>
> : I have an AWE64, and have had no problems with it as a "generic sound
card"
> : since I haven't as yet been able to enable the wavtable functions of
the
> : board. (This is due to lack of time, not lack of ability) Because my
> : motherboard is knowledgable about PnP devices, I don't need to bother
with
> : the isapnp package, but you might depending on the motherboard you
have.

> : On the other hand, I have heard of so many nightmares with the PCI128
> : it's scary. The basic problem with it is that it is not actually
Creative

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 14:14:52 -0800
From: Alessandro Giachino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Fwd: SMP problems...]

==============9A245FC0CFE15AA6DE845B67

              Alessandro Giachino--Software Engineer
EKK Inc.  2065 E. West Maple #C309, Walled Lake, Mi  48390, U.S.A.
tel. (248)624-9957;     fax. (248)624-7158;     http://ic.net/~ekk
==============9A245FC0CFE15AA6DE845B67

Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 07:44:02 -0800
From: Alessandro Giachino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: SMP problems...

Hi.

I had written about this error and hang-up:

IRQ DEADLOCK DETECTED BY CPU 0
kernel panic:  FORWARDED INTERRUPT TIMEOUT (AKP=0, saved AKP=1)

I checked /proc/cpuinfo:

processor       : 0
cpu             : 686
model           : 5
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
stepping        : 2
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid           : yes
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic 11 mtrr pge
mca cmov 16 17 mmx 24
bogomips        : 462.03

processor       : 1
cpu             : 686
model           : 5
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
stepping        : 2
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid           : yes
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic 11 mtrr pge
mca cmov 16 17 mmx 24
bogomips        : 4.28

This is a dual PII 450MHz, and it appears as if one of the CPU's
is not up to such speed.

I included SMP and SMP_PROFILE in kernel.

Are experimental kernels the way to go?

I checked a dual Pentium Pro system here, and CPU bogomips
was the same for both!

Any ideas ????

AG

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Snyder)
Subject: need info on Amptron PM-9700 motherboard
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:14:44 GMT

Hi

I recently purchased an Amptron PM-9700 motherboard with on board
sound and an AGP video card. The video card is a SIS 3 D Pro with 6326
on the chip.

I am considering using this board and Cyrix 233 mmx cpu with Red Hat
Linux 5.2. It was a challenge to set it up under Windows 98. Has
anyone had success using  this motherboard and video card with Linux?

Many thanks in advance.

Jim Snyder
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.mother.com/~jsnyder

------------------------------

From: "Jose Urena" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem (Rockwell 56.6 PCI data/fax) probs
Date: 11 Jan 1999 22:15:08 GMT

HCF modems ARE softmodems

David H. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Does Linux work with EZ-Drive?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:31:53 +0000

Frank wrote:

>   hmmmm....
> i too have an old 486 (1993 compaq cds) in which i put a 3.2G caviar, then
> installed rh5.1 to it from the rh boot disk and cd-rom... never had to  do
> anything with the bios...  doesn't linux take care of all that stuff?

Of course but if you need to boot anything past 512M you're screwed.
EZ-Drive, Ontrack or LBA are the only way to be able to boot past
the 1024 cylinder. Even NT in HPFS will crash if installed past the
1024 cylinder in a non LBA or disk manager mode. Other OS just won't boot.
If all you have on the machine is Linux then you don't need any disk
manager to go around the bios bug.

--
Tanné du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
Alors essayez donc Linux ou OS/2

------------------------------

From: Phil Houstoun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Help w/ Sun GDM-20D10 Monitor (Trinitron Tube)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:11:35 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I just picked up a Sun Sparcstation 2 with a Sun GDM-20D10 monitor. Soon
> after I booted the machine up I noticed two thin black lines running all the
> way across the monitor. One is roughly 4" down from the top, and another is
> about 4" up from the bottom. I originally thought it may have been a cable
> problem, but reseating and/or flexing the video cable has no effect.
>
> I've heard that all (older? circa 1995?) Trinitron tubes exhibit these thin
> black lines, but I really hope that is not the case. They are VERY noticable,
> especially once you become aware of them on a bright background .. I recall a
> Sony CPD-1304 monitor I had quite a few years ago developing this problem
> after a few years of use. I never investigated the issue with that model as I
> moved up to a larger unit. This 21" GDM-20D10 seems to have a very high
> quality picture (with the exception of the two lines) so I'm hoping there is
> a fix for this problem!
>
> The machine is running Solaris 2.5 and I hope to soon install Sparc Redhat
> Linux.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!
>
> Mark

This is a trademark of the Sony/Sun monitors. I have them on my 20D10, but I have
to look for them to see them. There is no 'fix' for this that the techs here have
heard of.