Linux-Hardware Digest #159, Volume #9            Tue, 12 Jan 99 03:13:45 EST

Contents:
  initio 9100UW & videomodelines (Horvath Gabor)
  Re: Which version of Xfree86 3.3.3 should I download? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but am
stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!
("anarkissed")
  Laptop & external display??? (Paul MacIntosh)
  Re: Tape drive recommendations (Raymond Lillard)
  Help with digital camera checksum calculation - a challenge (Brian Miller)
  Can't setup printer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Linux video card compatibility site? (Hugh)
  Linux on Pentium Pro? ("Jim Williams")
  soundbalster live or other good card (Linux) ? (Yves Dorfsman)
  Re: HP Kayak XA: make soundcard work? (James)
  Soundblaster under Debian 2.0 (Ramesh Natarajan)
  Re: Linux with Non Intel
  re:Problem With Ncr 876 ("Dale Khehra")
  VESA fb with S3 Trio3D (Andrius Kaikaris)
  Re: Epson 600=640 ? (Andy Fraser)
  Re: HP DeskJet 8xx: Linux Compatible? (toorffej)
  Re: Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works
again!? (Eric Hardwick)
  SCSI DVD-ROM drives (as CD)? (Alex Taylor)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Horvath Gabor)
Subject: initio 9100UW & videomodelines
Date: 11 Jan 1999 22:47:14 GMT

Hi!

I need some info on the $Subject SCSI card. I know that the manufacturer
provides a driver but I'd like to know how good it is and if there is  any
kernel development going on about it. I would also care for some perfomance
info. I plan to swap my aha2940W to an initio9100UW.
I have no idea if it will be worth.

The other question is: Does anyone know of a program that is supposed to be
used for calculating modelines. I found one long ago but I lost it and I have
not been able to find it again.
If you answer send it to me also please, I don't read this list regularly.
Thanx

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ps:I apologize for my english :)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Which version of Xfree86 3.3.3 should I download?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 05:09:25 GMT

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

From: "anarkissed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but
am stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:59:28 GMT

Miguel Cruz wrote in message <77dcgd$3jl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>Even though it changes all the time, you really only have to pay the two
>dollars once. After you have it working, you can easily update online. The
>CD is just to get you started the first time. It really will make your life
>easier. If the two dollars is a problem, give me your address and I'll
order
>it for you.
>
>miguel

Now there's a curious thing.  I hear it's only two dollars american, which
makes it actually four dollars here in canada, but the local store charges
sixty dollars plus fifteen in taxes.
So, it's not that cheap, two weeks grocery budget!  Heck, a blank CD is four
dollars canadian now that they put that stupid surcharge on blank recording
media (supposed to compensate recording artists for lost revenues from
piracy).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul MacIntosh)
Subject: Laptop & external display???
Date: 12 Jan 1999 00:05:02 GMT

(Any other comments?)

Hi Sergey,

I didn't really figure it out the way I had hoped.  I haven't
found a way to do it using Linux, and haven't heard from
anyone.  However, I can do it....

My laptop is a dual-boot with Win95 on one partition.  I have to
first boot Win95, and use the display "Properties" window to
send the signal to only the external display.  I then use the
"Start->Logout" menu to reboot into DOS.  The display setup is
maintained--sending the signal only to the external monitor.  I
then use "loadlin" (available at your favorite Linux homepage)
to boot Linux directly from DOS.

This requires that I have a copy of the Linux kernel image
(i.e. zImage) somewhere on my Win95 partition.  I'm then able to
use just the external display.

--Paul.

P.S. I think I'll post this in response to my original message
in case others are waiting for an answer--maybe I'll get
other feedback.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:00:41 -0800
From: Raymond Lillard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape drive recommendations

John Cochran wrote:
> DDS-2 is 4GB uncompressed and with an assumed compression ration of 2:1
> the advertised size is 8GB. DDS-3 is 12G uncompressed and 24G with
> an assumed compression of 2:1.

John,

Thanks for the clarification on DAT format specs.

I have a follow-up question for you.  Am I correct in thinking
that DAT drives which support compression are applying a data
compression algorithm to the data before writing to the tape and
that the tape bit density is constant whether the drive is running
in a compressed mode or not?

If the above assertion is true, then would you not agree that we are
just as well, if not better served by compressing the data prior to
writing to the tape device in the uncompressed mode.  This is what I
have been doing for years, to good effect.

Regards,
Ray

------------------------------

From: Brian Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with digital camera checksum calculation - a challenge
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:17:10 +1100

Hi,

I have a Ricoh RDC-2E digital camera that downloads its pictures to a PC
via a serial cable.  Things work fine under Windows, but I'm going to
try
and write a program under Linux to do this.

The camera isn't supported by the already existing digital camera
utilities
for Linux, so I'll have to write my own.

I have put a data scope on the serial line, and have pretty much pulled
the protocol apart enough to be at a point where I can start writing
some pre-alpha code... well all except for the calculation of the
checksum.

This is where I need help.

I have written up the bits of the protocol I have pulled apart at
http://www.netspace.net.au/~bmiller/linux/rdc-2e_protocol.html and
have a section at the end with a few frame examples with checksums.
http://www.netspace.net.au/~bmiller/linux/rdc-2e_protocol.html#samples

I'd very much appreciate it if anyone who can "crack" the checksum
algorithm if they would contact me and tell me how it works.

I can see in places that it uses an XOR, and think it may also do some
bit shifting.  But that's as far as I can get.

For those people who want even more data to look at, download
http://www.netspace.net.au/~bmiller/linux/rdc-2e_trace.gz but beware
that Netscape may uncompress the file when you go to save it but leave
the .gz extention on the file.  The compressed file is 165610 bytes
long,
and the uncompressed file is 1037938 bytes long.

Thanks in advance to all who attempt the challenge.

Brian
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Brian Miller                                 Telstra

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Can't setup printer
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 05:57:44 GMT

 I am trying to configure Printer on my PC, but I can't even see lp when I do
 cat /proc/devices. I did try put lp=0x378,0 on lilo.conf, but it seem doesn't
 work.

 Can anybody give me a hand

From: Hugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux video card compatibility site?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:15:32 -0800

I have checked the last 1000 messages or so with no luck so I was
curious if anyone knows of any one site or several sites which may tell
of Linux' compatibility with various video cards?

------------------------------

From: "Jim Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on Pentium Pro?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:14:10 -0600

Will Linux run on a Pentium Pro machine? How about a dual Pentium Pro?
What would be the advantages or disadvantages of running Linux on a Pentium
Pro/dual machine?
Also, will Linux run on a plain dual Pentium machine? If so, does the the
cpu have to be Pentium, or can you dual an AMD?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Jim Williams

From: Yves Dorfsman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: soundbalster live or other good card (Linux) ?
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 06:22:06 GMT

Hi !

I got a soundblaster live value with my pc, but browsing through dejanews
I found that there is no driver for it for linux.

It is not clear if a driver will become available (and if it does that
would be q2 99, from rumour in dejanews). Does anybody know for sure that
a driver is been (will be) worked on ? There is a rumour that creative
live won't release enough information to make it feasable.

Yet, I understand that this card is one of the best on the market...
Should I buy a cheap sound card and wait for the drivers for this one, or
get it exchange for a currently supported card ??

What are the good high quality, supported card ?

Thanks,

Yves.
----
Yves Dorfsman                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                         http://www.cuug.ab.ca/~dorfsmay

------------------------------

From: James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Kayak XA: make soundcard work?
Date: 11 Jan 1999 19:15:35 -0600

In article <77d97t$hv7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

Excuse me for wanting instant gratification, but I dug out
a creative vibra-16 card and plugged that it.  There are some
funky cables on the hp.   I plugged in the ones that would fit :-)

Weird -- in order to get two channels, I must plug HALFWAY into
the speaker jack.

This kayak was shoved down my throat -- I asked for a new hard drive,
and had to take the whole new computer.

I cannot recommend the HP Kayak XA-S for a linux workstation for the
following reasons:

1.      Takes way too long to boot -- annoying, I think many of us are frequent (dual)
booters.
2.      The NCR SCSI/AMD Ether combo card requires us to use a 1.2.122 kernel.   Note
that I don't say "or later"
3.      The Soundcard is weird.  I tried to make it work.  I am good at messing with
stuff and
making it work, but I failed with the Aztech pnp soundcard.  Tossed it.  BUT there are
weird connectors on the Kayak, making mystery.  But at least my creative card works.
4.      Machine REJECTED my ADAPTEC 2940-UW together with the NCR SCSI/Ethercard.
5.      Something weird about 1.2.132 and 2.2.0-pre6 makes the mouse not work.

Oh well.....  At least it "works" now, for me anyway, but I woulda rather
had a K6-2 on a VIa chipset with my adaptec card, a 3c590, and a rivaTNT,
maybe a SUPPORTED soundcard......  HP was supposed to be a good choice...
when I dig up the addresses of those who recommended it for a linux workstation,
expect flames.
--
James
http://ssdd.conservatory.com

------------------------------

From: Ramesh Natarajan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Soundblaster under Debian 2.0
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 05:36:28 GMT

Hi,

I just installed Debian 2.0 and compiled kernal (2.0.34) with Sound as
module. I seem to get something working, but not all. I configured my
/etc/isapnp.conf, did a isapnptools /etc/isapnp.conf followed by
$insmod sound trace_init=1. On dmesg, I see
   Sound initialization started
   <Sound Blaster 16 (4.16)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 0,5
   <Yamaha OPL3 FM> at 0x388
   Sound initialization complete

when I do cat /dev/sndstat, I see
Card config:
   Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 0,5
   (SB MPU-401 irq 1 drq 0)
   OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0

Iam able to play CD using workman. When I cat some .au to /dev/audio,
(or when I try saytime) I get no sound. I get no error either. When I do
rvplayer welcome.rm, I get some error like "Codec not
installed/Compression not supported".

>From what I see in HOWTO, looks like I have MPU stuff not enabled. Is
this a problem? I donot have MPU 401 support enabled in make config
(going by help text)

I used to have RedHat 5.1 with sound working like sweat (using
sndconfig). Is there a similar tool under debian? (just wanted to be a
GNU purist for a while :)

Thats my main Qn. I have few more :)

1) I can do startx only as root. Not as any other user. I get some error
like "xlib: conncecion refused by server". If I run xdm, I can log on as
any user though.

2) When I try make xconfig for kernal config, I cannot select any of the
y/m/n options. I can input all text fields (like irq, IO) though.

Thanks for your help,
Ramesh Natarajan.        (http://nram.virtualAve.net)
--
In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
Linux Now at http://www.kernel.org

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Linux with Non Intel
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:04:47 -0600

and lets not forget the lowly cyrix!!

------------------------------

From: "Dale Khehra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: re:Problem With Ncr 876
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:31:23 -0800

Hello There

I am trying to compile the 2.0.36 kernel to enable SMP support.I have done
everything the way it should be.But after compiling the kernel,when I boot
the system from the new kernel I got the following message and system hangs
over there.The message is:

/lib/ncr53c8xx.o : unresolved symbol scsi_unregister_Rd5403f2a
/lib/ncr53c8xx.o : unresolved symbol scsi_register_R0f08cac5
/lib/ncr53c8xx.o : unresolved symbol scsicam_bios_param_R280252a2
VFS : cannot open root device 08:01
Kernel panic : VFS : unable to mount root device 08:01

Does anybody knows what the problem is and how it can be resolved.

Thanks in advance.

Dale khehra

------------------------------

From: Andrius Kaikaris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: VESA fb with S3 Trio3D
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:03:22 -0500

Anyone had any success with that?? (Somebody put up a post about that a
few days back)  I got it to work, but can't go more than 8bpp, because
starting 16bpp and up, my X seems to loose one of the colors and just
mess everything up.  Any tips???

Andy

--
Be advised that after May 26, 1999, my current e-mail address will be no
longer

------------------------------

From: Andy Fraser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Epson 600=640 ?
Date: 11 Jan 1999 21:47:28 -0800

VanPopering <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am trying to find out exactly which Epson Injets will works with
> Linux.  I am running Caldera's OpenLinux (next to last) ona Gateway.
>
> I only see references to Epson 600 and Epson 400.  Does that imply
> the 600 SERIES and 400 SERIES?

I have found 600 != 640.  I have a 600 for my Linux box at work.  I
have at times carried the 600 home and successfully used it with my
home linux box.  I bought a 640 for home believing/hoping 640=600, but
I have not been able to get the 640 to print correctly.  I fetched
Aladdin Ghostscript 5.50 compiled it, and set up the uniprint driver
as if I had a 600.  I get output, but my principle mode of operation
which is to generate postscript from latex source doesn't work.  I get
postscript that I can view with gv or ghostview, but the output on the
epson 640 is screwed up.

My house mate uses the 640 with Win98 without problems.

Andy Fraser

------------------------------

From: toorffej <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP DeskJet 8xx: Linux Compatible?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 07:27:25 GMT

I've got an HP 855 at home and it works out-of-the-box with RedHat.  I
initially installed RH5.0, and recently upgraded to RH5.2  I can print
color, postscript, text, whatever.  I seem to remember that somewhere I
had to pick the HP560 or HP560c to find one that worked.

I am considering getting a new printer (the 895cse).  Has anyone used it
successfully?

        Jeff Root

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Hardwick)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it
works again!?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 02:11:12 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris) wrote:

>Is your Win95 partition FAT or FAT32?  There is a known bug in Linux (as
>of 2.0.36) which *may* cause the kernel to crash if you mount a defective
>filesystem.  To the FAT12/16 code, a FAT32 filesystem *is* defective.
>Next time you get a successful Linux boot, edit the fstab file so that the
>Win95 filesystem does not auto-mount.  You may find that this cures the
>problem.

Yes it is FAT32. I just tried your suggestion. It seemed to work the
first time I booted win95 and then Linux. Linux booted correctly all
the way through. So I tried it again...Booted windows then Linux. No
go. Same problem. One thing was different the first time, might mean
nothing. I used 'rmmod' to unload the vfat module, then rebooted into
windows, then Linux. This worked. Another round of reboots and Linux
*doesn't* boot. I don't really think this is the cause but can someone
tell me how to prevent the vfat module from loading during boot up? Is
it a config file I need to edit?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Eric Hardwick

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Taylor)
Subject: SCSI DVD-ROM drives (as CD)?
Date: 12 Jan 1999 02:24:00 GMT

I'm aware that an IDE DVD-ROM drive (such as the ones by Creative)
will function perfectly well as an IDE CD-ROM drive under Linux...
but does the same principle hold true with SCSI?

I'm considering getting a Pioneer SCSI DVD-ROM drive, and I just
want to make sure it'll work (with few or no hassles) as a straight
SCSI CD-ROM drive under Linux (and other OS's w/o DVD drivers)...

(I would imagine it does but I figure it can't hurt to check, right?)

Thanks...
 Alex Taylor                  BA - CIS - University of Guelph
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~alex