Linux-Hardware Digest #185, Volume #9            Fri, 15 Jan 99 20:14:15 EST

Contents:
  Re: Linux for IBM RS6000? ("Richard Payne")
  Re: AMD K6-2 300 in a seemingly infinite reboot loop before it can even  (Blaine
Lupulack)
  SVGATextMode with Riva128 (Joern Schleeff)
  Re: Red Hat installation problem - newbie (Edmon)
  Re: Exabyte and Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Modem detection (Sunil Thulasidasan)
  Re: 2 NICs in PC can't coexist. (Norman Elliott)
  pnp isa internal modems which work in linux no probs ("karlo")
  Re: RH5.2 SCSI bus timeout - aic7880/aic7860 - help? (Aaron Bredon)
  Reading ADFS Floppies (Simon Farnsworth)
  Re: SCSI Drive Problem (Thomas Becker)
  does xcdroast support the teac CD-R56S 6x24 cd-r drive ? (dan)
  DLT 2000 on Adaptec 2940U (Tim Messer)
  Re: Ugly Netscape fonts 2. (Chris Gushue)
  Re: what cd-r drives are supported by linux (xcdroast) ? ("DJ Irvin")
  Ensoniq SoundScape VIVO (Jon Hildebrand)
  Re: Which CPU to upgrade to? (Ruffian)
  MousePoint (Joao)
  Re: Q: Soundcard with SPDIF I/O (BL)
  Re: Newbie with card problems ("Jan Pittner")
  Newcom 56kefxA v90 External modem doesn't work with Linux. (Dae)
  Re: Linux on Pentium Pro? (Esmail Bonakdarian)
  Re: Redundant Servers (Gary Momarison)
  Re: Who has 2 ISA NE2000 cards? (James Youngman)

From: "Richard Payne" <payner at timken dot com>
Subject: Re: Linux for IBM RS6000?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:11:34 -0500

Yes, LinuxPPC will some on SOME (note the SOME) RS/6000
machines. The early Power series will not work and some
of the PPC machines don't work either. Check out www.linuxppc.org
and comp.os.linux.powerpc

--
Rich Payne
(Speaking for myself, not my employer)

Looking for Alpha-Linux info?
http://www.alphalinux.org
<20773247197ED211B6590060080C4648083555@CBS_SERVER>...

------------------------------

From: Blaine Lupulack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD K6-2 300 in a seemingly infinite reboot loop before it can even
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:11:47 -0800

Enthalpy wrote:

> G'day all,
>         Got a problem with my system.. I recently upgraded my Redhat 5.2 Linux
> machines hardware to an AMDK6-2 300 w 32Mb SDRAM (pc66) onto my socket 7
> motherboard with the hope to run it at 4 x 75 this was not the case....
> refused to boot full stop and I eventually got it to work at 3.5 x 83.3 giving
> 266 or 4 x 83.3 giving 333.. That was disturbing enough that I couldn't get
> the damn chip to run at 300 no matter what voltage settings I chose..... So I
> resided to having 266MHz machine for now till I get things worked out.... Then

<snip...>

This DEFINITELY looks to be a hardware problem...
Hard to say if it's with the CPU, RAM or motherboard tho, since you say it works
at 83MHz
but not at 75 or 100.
If you have access, you might try a different chip in your board, or your chip in
a different board,
or just use PC100 ram.

--
Blaine Lupulack
BC, Canada

------------------------------

From: Joern Schleeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SVGATextMode with Riva128
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:16:43 +0100

hi,

is there any TextConfig file available with settings for Riva 128
chipsets?

thx

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edmon)
Subject: Re: Red Hat installation problem - newbie
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:07:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Troy Carter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I would suggest investing in PartitionMagic 4.0, which comes with
BootMagic.  This will help you setup the partitions and run all three
operating systems. I use it now on a 10.1 GB drive to run Win98 and
Linux - it works great.  (PM4.0 is made by PowerQuest, runs under Win98
- you can find it for a reasonable price at your local CompUSA or
BestBuy)

Troy Carter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Don't use PM4.0 thought, especially the bootmagic, there are bugs in it
depending your computer.

Edmon
Is Cao Cao a wicked man? That is only a novel, don't believe it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Exabyte and Linux
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:14:28 GMT

David, The Mammoth and the 8705DX (Eliant820) will read tapes used in 8200
format...But won't write... As a matter of fact the  both will write in 8500c
format and read tapes used in  8500, 8500c and as I said 8200 format...

As for you Erwin de Beus,
Give us a break....
If you don't know what the problem (user error) was with the drive at your old
place of employment... Well then I guess we all know why your nolonger
employed...
Can't wait for the sequel...

              "Erwin de Beus' next place of employment"

It's so much easier to blame the fishing rod cause you can't fish worth a
damn!

From: Sunil Thulasidasan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem detection
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 01:35:03 +0300

How can I get Linux (RH 5.0) to
detect  my modem? Its a
Commwave V.34 PnP , manufactured by Multiwave.
Its set for IRQ11, COM3.
Please help.

------------------------------

From: Norman Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2 NICs in PC can't coexist.
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:58:51 +0000

Christian Brideau wrote:

> I have that 386 machine that I want to configure as a masquerading
> machine for an ADSL connection.  I want to install 2 network cards:
>
> GVC NE2000 compatible io=300 irq=5
> Genius NE2000 compatible io=280 irq=10
>
> Distro: S.u.S.E. 5.3
>
> The ne module can only initialize one of them.  The GVC will always be
> enabled if present.  The Genius will only be enabled if the GVC is not
> present.
>
> My conf.modules looks a bit like this:
>
> alias eth0 ne
> options eth0 io=0x300,0x280 irq=5,10
>
> alias eth1 ne
> options eth0 io=0x300,0x280 irq=5,10
>
> I tried multiple permutations of this and the results is always the same
> (I tried to list only one card in the options statement, to reverse
> them, etc...)
>
> When booting, only eth0 is detected.  When the system tries to setup
> eth1, it gives me a bunch of PCI_**** errors.  (On a 386?)
>
> I try to bring it up with ifconfig, but it does not work.
>
> The Genius is a plug and play card, but you can configure it via
> software and disable the PnP thing.  The GVC is software configurable
> and is not PnP.
>
> Both cards work.  I tried them separately.
>
> An idea that I have is that I could install another isa card that is not
> NE2K, so it would require another module so it would be initialized.
> I'm thinking to buy an el cheapo 3com card at a used part store.
>
> Please, Linux collective, give me words of wisdom!
>
> Thanks
>
> ChrisB
> Ottawa, Ontario

AFAIK you can set up parameters to pass on the LILO boot line.

or maybe use insmod

 something like insmod ne2000.o eth1 io=0x300 irq=5

 can't remember the syntax exactly, sorry

also I think you should disable PnP and in the Bios disable PnP for the
irq on both cards and anything else you have which requires fixed IRQ.

HTH
norm

------------------------------

From: "karlo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pnp isa internal modems which work in linux no probs
Date: 14 Jan 1999 23:28:20 GMT

OK I have found an isa pnp internal 56k modems.  They are made my auslinx
in australia, and the modem is called a tasmanian devel and sells for 124
australian dollars.  On the back of the box it says supported in linux.
They also have another version which works in linux it's called an abc
modem but I do not think they make them any more, only the tasmanian
deveils.

karlo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron Bredon)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: RH5.2 SCSI bus timeout - aic7880/aic7860 - help?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:09:33 -0500

In article <77lr74$h43$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Hi all,
>
> We have an HP Kayak XU with an onboard Adaptec 7880 SCSI card,
> and I have succesfully installed RH 5.2 with no problems. The problems
> come after the first reboot, when the following is reported:
>
> < --- snip --- >
> Jan 14 14:17:52 felix kernel: (scsi0) Cables present (Int-50 YES, Int-68 YES, Ext-68
>YES)
> Jan 14 14:17:52 felix kernel: (scsi0) Illegal cable configuration!!  Only two
> Jan 14 14:17:52 felix kernel: (scsi0) connectors on the SCSI controller may be in
>use at a time!
> < --- snip --- >

The card is detecting 3 cables attached to the SCSI bus - this is not
allowed. I would suggest getting 68-50 pin adapters to connect narrow
devices to the wide scsi internal cable, and disconnect the 50 pin cable.
If you do not have 3 cables connected, then something else is wrong.

------------------------------

From: Simon Farnsworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Reading ADFS Floppies
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:02:52 +0000

Is it possible to read Acorn ADFS F Format floppies under Linux/x86 2.2?

The disks have slightly unusual layout for a PC's FDC, although the
machines do use standard FDC chips, so the PC should be able to
physically read them. Kernel 2.2 contains support for the ADFS
filesystem, so that is not a problem.

The format in question uses 1024 byte sectors, High density, 10
sectors/track, and interleave between the two sides. I can obtain
further details if needed (from a local reference library), but you will
have to explain what information is needed.
--
TIA,

Simon Farnsworth

------------------------------

From: Thomas Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI Drive Problem
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 00:14:25 +0100

Hi Stuart!

"Stuart R. Fuller" wrote:

> The drive's response to a command was "sense key 02", which means "not ready",
> as in the drive is not spun up.

I got the same message, and can`t fix what that means.
But I am not able to partition my harddrive under Linux,
when I try to install SuSE or RedHat.
Both recognize the harddrive correctly, but tell me to have problems to
read the partition table.
By the way, what does "spun up" mean ( I am from Germany)?

> If you need more help, we'll need more information.

What information are required? (Type of harddisc, scsi-controller)?

One Adaptec 2940 UW on ID 7 and one IBM DDRS-39130D UW 9,1GB on ID 0.

Bye

Thomas

------------------------------

From: dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: does xcdroast support the teac CD-R56S 6x24 cd-r drive ?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:13:49 -0600

does xcdroast support the teac CD-R56S 6x24 cd-r drive ?

are there any better(faster - 8x) drives supported ?

i currently have xcdroast-0.96e-1.
(uses cdrecord-1.6.1)

thanks,
dan

------------------------------

From: Tim Messer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DLT 2000 on Adaptec 2940U
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:57:30 GMT

We have a DLT 2000 SCSI tape drive on an Adaptec 2940U SCSI card running
under RedHat 5.2.  The drive makes backups and does restores on other
machines with no problems.  However, on the RedHat box, the mt command can
rewind and unload the tape but cannot do any tape transport functions,
i.e. fsf, bsf, seek, etc.  The drive is recognized by the SCSI BIOS and
the operating system but we cannot figure out why we can't move the tape.
SCSI tape support and generic support is compiled into the kernel we run,
currently 2.2.0-pre5.  Any ideas?

-- Tim Messer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(please remove the nospam in the return address to reply)

------------------------------

From: Chris Gushue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ugly Netscape fonts 2.
Date: 14 Jan 1999 23:31:30 GMT

Gary J Sanderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Please help!

: When I'm using...

: Netscape*fontList: -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-75-*-*-*-*-*

: in my ~/.Xdefaults file to alter the appearance of the Netscape fonts, is it
: still possible to configure it so that unread messages appear in 'Bold'
: rather than 'Normal' as specified above. Its difficult for me to distinguish
: between unread & read at the moment even if it's far better than the default
: fonts that Netscape uses under Linux.

Try using an X server compiled with TrueType font support - it makes web
browser MUCH more enjoyable on Netscape in Linux (URL below).

http://airnet.net/craig/linux/

| Chris Gushue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   Slackware 3.6-current / AMD K6 233 |
|   7:59pm  up 18:06,  1 user,  load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00   |
| Linux constant 2.2.0-pre7 #18 Thu Jan 14 01:17:28 NST 1999 i586 unknown |

From: "DJ Irvin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: what cd-r drives are supported by linux (xcdroast) ?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 18:01:46 -0600

Dan,

I had the same problem with the rpm even though I had tcl installed

Download the source and compile it...that fixed the problem for me.

BTW, I've got the Panasonic 7502B cd-r 4x scsi and it flies!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Jon Hildebrand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ensoniq SoundScape VIVO
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:35:51 -0600

Wondering if anyone out there can help me.

I have a Ensoniq SoundScape VIVO PnP card.  I'm using Red Hat 5.2
(2.0.36).  Everytime I use sndconfig, it says that the device is busy or
the resource is busy.  Now, I read somewhere that is you look at
/dev/sndstat, you can figure out what might be going on.  Well, under
Audio devices, it says there is a MSS audio codec (AD1845) (DUPLEX).
I've went into the Kernel Configurator in XWindows and removed
everything but the modules for my ethernet card.  But the MSS audio
module keeps showing up all the time.  Does anybody know how I can kick
the kernel into realizing I have a SoundScape VIVO and not a MSS?
Thanks in advance.  I would like responses via e-mail only.

Jon Hildebrand

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ruffian)
Subject: Re: Which CPU to upgrade to?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 00:05:15 GMT

On 13 Jan 1999 13:43:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Taylor)
wrote:

>John Taylor ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>> I have a Intel Pentium 90 on a Intel Neptune mb that I bought 3 or 4 years
>> ago.  I want to upgrade the CPU w/o swapping out the motherboard.  Which CPU
>> should I upgrade to?  I am interested in hearing about Intel, AMD, and Cyrix
>> (or any others) upgrades.  Also, I will be exclusively running Linux 2.0.36
>> and Linux 2.2 (when it comes out).
>
>> Which is the most bang for the buck?  Are there any to stay away from? etc,
>> etc.
>
>> Thanks,
>> John
>
>I am the original poster of this thread.  OK, I have decided, that since I
>have a socket 5 motherboard, that I will have to buy another motherboard, as
>well as, a new CPU.  I have decided to get the Intel Celeron 300 and plan to
>overclock it to 450.
>
>Now, I am asking about motherboards.  I really like ASUS, but didn't see one
>that fits my needs.  Right now, I have
>
>4 PCI devices: video, network, scsi, tv tuner.
>2 ISA devices: modem, sound
>
>Eventually, I would like to move to a PCI sound card.  Also, it is unclear
>to me if I should go to AGP for video.  At any rate,  I would like to find a
>celeron mb, that has 5 pci, 1 agp, and 1 or 2 isa slots, and 4 dimms slots.
>Anyone know of a good manufactuer/model?  Also, I am trying to keep the cost
>down.
>
>Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.  You really helped me out.
>
>Thanks,
>John

Hi John

This is not my advice, but I read it and it made such good sense to me
that I'm doing it.

Get an ASUS P2B with a PII350. The board will hold up to 768MB RAM.
4 PCI slots, 1 AGP slot, 2 ISA's (I think, I don't pay too much
attention to the ISAs).  PII350's are getting pretty cheap.

Anyhow when the PIII's come out you'll be able to upgrade your
processor when you're ready, the RAM ought to hold for a while. I
thought about the ABIT BH6 but the RAM's limited to 384MB. The
way things are going I figure I'll get longer use of the board if I
can add ram and upgrade the processor rather than having 5
PCI slots. I'm too lazy to overclock. It's more work than I
want to do. Whether we want to or not, ultimately  we'll
all be using AGP for video (at least the 2D/3D card...the voodoo2's/3s
can use PCI's *g*)

Those are just my choices.

see you
Jan

------------------------------

From: Joao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MousePoint
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:14:54 +0000

 Hi,
 How can I enable my 470CDT Toshiba´s MousePoint under Linux ?

        -- Joao

------------------------------

From: BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Q: Soundcard with SPDIF I/O
Date: 14 Jan 1999 14:27:03 GMT

it does have half the i/o (ie, it has analog outputs - mostly for monitoring).

the other issues are easily worked around: giving it analog inputs is a simple
matter of frontending the digital card with a good a/d converter.  for under
$300 you can get the midiman 'flying cow' which has reasonable ins and outs.
(and its better to have external analog stuff instead of bundling it on the
noisy pci card).

the coax i/o is also worked around.  for under $80 you can get a opto<->coax
converter box.  or build one yourself - its less than $20 in parts.

its much more important that the card support linux.  and this one does.  and
not only for 2 channels but for 16 (multitrack).  and it does samplerate
conversion too.

its the best linux pro audio 'sound card' out there.

am <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: yes, the Studi/o is a nice card, but it doesn't have analog i/o, and the
: outputs are only lightpipe SPDIF or ADAT 8 ch. (no coax)

: cheers,
: andreas.

: BL wrote in message <77gj7k$h63$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

: >www.sonorus.com
: >
: >studi/o is the name of the card.

: >am <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >: hi all,
: >: I'm looking for a high quality soundcard with SPDIF coax I/O for
: >: Linux. So far, I've only found the TB Fiji, which seems to be supported
: >: in RH 5.2. Does anyone have any experience with this setup (stability++)
: ?
: >: Do I have other options?
: >
: >: thanks,
: >: andreas.

--
AntiSpam: For email, change all 'zeros' to the letter 'o' .
          My first name (backwards) is nayrB.  No bulk/junk email, please.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Pittner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie with card problems
Date: 15 Jan 1999 23:06:51 GMT

I"m having the exact same problem except that I'm trying an FTP install and
it won't pick up my Etherexpress.  I've also tried ne2000 specifying my own
settings (irq9 io360) and it still doesn't find it.  Win98 has no troubles
finding it and I've double checked it with Softset (Intel's configuration
utility).

Jan

news:RRzn2.6551$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Dae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newcom 56kefxA v90 External modem doesn't work with Linux.
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 19:46:58 -0500

Can you beleive this ... It's an external modem that won't woth Linux.
I wonder how many other Externals out there won't work with Linux.

Only reason I found out was cause I wrote Newcom Tech support.  Take a
look at my questions and their answers below..

I guess I just wanted ya'll to know to becareful even when buying an
external modem.

Dae/MD
=======

My questions:

> 1. What chipset does this modem use?
>
> 2. Will this modem work with Linux?
>
> 3. If I change the cable, will it work with a Macintosh?
>
> 4. What is the FCC registration number?

Their answer:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Esmail Bonakdarian)
Subject: Re: Linux on Pentium Pro?
Date: 14 Jan 1999 23:36:40 GMT

> Jim Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Also, will Linux run on a plain dual Pentium machine? If so, does the the
> > cpu have to be Pentium, or can you dual an AMD?

I've been running Linux on a Pentium Pro 200 for the last 2 1/2 years
without any problems what so ever.

Esmail
--
----
Esmail Bonakdarian  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -  http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~bonak

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redundant Servers
Date: 15 Jan 1999 16:38:20 -0800

r <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Not much help here, but there's something called "Eddie" that
might interest you.

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/misc.html#ha             (Eddie)
http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/raid.html                (RAID)
http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/high-performance.html    (clustering)

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who has 2 ISA NE2000 cards?
Date: 15 Jan 1999 23:15:02 +0000

"Dmitrij Belogaj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello!
>     I have a seriouse problem with two ISA NE2000 adapters.
> If somebody has two identical ISA NE2000 (non PnP) adapters properly
> configured on RHL (2.0.30) box,
> please reply me!!!!!

If they are NE2000+ cards, you have an I/O conflict.   Use the DOS
config program to configure them to non-default addresses, one by one,
with the other out of the computer at the time.  Then they should both
work together.

--
ACTUALLY reachable as @free-lunch.demon.(whitehouse)co.uk:james+usenet