Linux-Hardware Digest #190, Volume #9            Sat, 16 Jan 99 17:13:49 EST

Contents:
  Re: Dell Latitude CPi 300XT + Linux (RedHat 5.2) (Patrice Bonhomme)
  Lexmark 3200 ("M. Lindsey Williams")
  atapi zip disk ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Problem installing RedHat on Maxtor 4.3G HD ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: PCMCIA network card not DHCPing ("Todd A. Wood")
  Linux Fileserver Hardware question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Fast fibre ethernet?? (Andy Bristow)
  Redhat 5.2 on Sun Sparc IPX (Chiu Pat Ho)
  Re: XF68_FBDev fails to start ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Shutting Down ("Todd A. Wood")
  Linux repartitioning (saifond)
  Re: Drivers for Riva TNT (david pekala)
  Re: Mustek Scanexpress 12000SP, SCSI controller (Dirk Thomalla)
  Re: DUAL-PPGA Celeron? (John Auld)
  Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice capable/fax
modem software for use in warp4?)) (John Varela)
  Re: winmodems and linux (pces)
  Re: linux viruses ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: fvwm2 to afterstep instead on startx ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Cdrom attached to snd card ("David B. Johnson")
  Re: Dell Latitude CPi 300XT + Linux (RedHat 5.2) (Alan Watt)
  Re: Which CPU to upgrade to? (Rod Roark)
  Re: Modem trouble ("Habib Najm")
  Re: Corel StrongArm boxes ("Keith G. Murphy")
  Printer trouble Help!! (Dakshi Agrawal)
  Re: Total newbie - PLEASE HELP! ("Mark Swope")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrice Bonhomme)
Subject: Re: Dell Latitude CPi 300XT + Linux (RedHat 5.2)
Date: 15 Jan 1999 14:16:35 GMT

> Has anybbody installed Linux (preferably RedHat 5.2) on
> Dell Latitude CPi 300XT ?????

I have installed RH 5.2 on a new Dell Latitude CPi 300XT. Everything is ok
except for the PCMCIA Megahertz 10/100 LAN CardBus. There is no driver for this
card. I had to install an old Ethernet card.

Pat.

  * [EMAIL PROTECTED]     * Office : B.228          *
  * http://www.loria.fr/~bonhomme * Phone  : 03 83 59 30 52 *

From: "M. Lindsey Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lexmark 3200
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:48:52 -0600

Is this a "windows only printer"?

If not, does anyone know of an available linux driver ... or had any
success getting it to work?

thanks,

Lindsey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: atapi zip disk
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 17:00:26 GMT

I successfully recompiled my kernel to enable scsi emulation for my cd writer.
I enabled it by adding hdc=ide-scsi in lilo.conf, but now my atapi zip disk is
being recognized as scsi, when I dont want it to be.  Is there a command line
option to revert to recognizing it as atapi?

thanks,

Brian

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Problem installing RedHat on Maxtor 4.3G HD
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:35:26 GMT

If you have a cdrom, do the diskless install.  I have 2 maxtor hard drives,
7.0g and 1.6g and have had no probs with either.  I am not running maxblast,
either.  I have run this setup with 2 different mother boards, 1 phoenix bios,
and 1 award.  Works fine for me......

Nic

Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 19:04:29 +0100
From: "Todd A. Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCMCIA network card not DHCPing

Jon Peccarelli wrote:

> When I insert or boot with my 3Com (or my old Xircom even) PCMCIA network
> card into any PC card slot, it initializes the card but does not get an
> address.  This worked before I upgraded to 3.0.6.  I have to manually run
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop and then /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start to
> get an address.  What is going on?  How to I fix this?  THIS IS REALLY
> ANNOYING ME!  Otherwise, it works GREAT!

Keyword I read here was "upgrade".

If you upgraded pcmcia-cs-3.0.6 from source and did a "make install",
your configuration files will be overwritten.  The install does not save
old/modified copies in /etc/pcmcia.

Edit /etc/pcmcia/network.opts and put in your DHCP configuration in the
variables provided.

I just added some IP Masquerading custom options to
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts /etc/pcmcia/network today. Saves me from having
to have ipchains/ipfwadm called from elsewhere.

Sincerely,
Todd A. Wood

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux Fileserver Hardware question
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:10:02 GMT

I'm going to be setting up a Linux Fileserver and I wanted to make sure the
hardware I'm
going to use will be what I want and won't create a bottleneck.

Hardware:
P166 CPU (MB Doesn't have the Ultra DMA available)
WD 8.4GB HD (Without the Ultra DMA option)
164MB Ram
100MB Ethernet Card
Linux 5.2

I will be accessing this via 2 Win 95 machines as our primary data store. We
don't use it concurrently much, but it does happen enough that I don't want
it being slow. Would it be best to get another motherboard that can handle
the UDMA option? Or will this be able to service our needs like we were using
our own harddrives?

TIA,
Lance

From: Andy Bristow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fast fibre ethernet??
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:51:16 +0000

Hi

I'm looking for a 100BaseFX NIC that will work with Linux.

I know there are several cards available, e.g. D-Link DFE-500FX,
but haven't come up with a driver as yet. Anybody got any
suggestions??

thanks

Andy

--
Andy Bristow                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +44 (0) 1305 212323        Fax: +44 (0) 1305 212950

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 01:17:38 +0800
From: Chiu Pat Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 5.2 on Sun Sparc IPX

Hi,

I am new in Linux and I have a SUN Sparc IPX workstation and want to
install the Redhat 5.2 in it.  As long as I followed the installation
proceduce, it seems alright untill the installation of the boot loader
(i.e. SILO).  I can't proceed any more, can anyone suggest how to do
this.

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,
Pat-ho CHIU

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: XF68_FBDev fails to start
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:00:03 GMT

VGA=ASK won't let you run Xwindows...  You have to put VGA=791.  This is for
1024 x 768 x 16.  792 is 24 bit and the X server doesn't support this, yet.
It should support 32 bit, but I haven't found any 32bit resolution modes, yet
under VGA.  Also, you need to make sure your XConfig file has the correct
setup for this resolution.

Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 19:15:46 +0100
From: "Todd A. Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Shutting Down

Jaanus Kivistik wrote:

> Darryl Cain wrote:
> >
> > G'day,
> >
> > Does anyone know of a way to shutdown Linux and then automatically turn off
> > (use of ATX Power) as in Windows.
> Have you tried halt -p? This *should* do a poweroff...
> > Thanks
> >
> > Darryl Cain
> >   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jaanus is right.

On Red Hat Systems...

Edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt
  Change the line with:
     command="halt"
     command="halt -p"

Then a shutdown -h now will run halt -p instead of standard halt.

(You cannot hit the power button when the machine is not in the same
room/time zone/country/hemisphere)

Sincerely,
Todd A. Wood

------------------------------

From: saifond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux repartitioning
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:15:08 +0000

Does anyone know howto repartitioning a hard drive with
linux installed on to free space for (sigh !!!) w95.
Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thank a lot.

------------------------------

From: david pekala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Drivers for Riva TNT
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:15:18 -0600

This may sound dumb since I just started using linux... but here goes.  I d/l
the XFree86 file fro rawhide and when I install it, it gives me a message that
I need libttf.so.2    I looked all over the rawhide site, but couldn't find the
file.  Where would I get it from?

Thanks,
Dave

------------------------------

From: Dirk Thomalla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mustek Scanexpress 12000SP, SCSI controller
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 18:10:27 +0100

Uwe Rathmann wrote:

> Nevertheless does somebody know what kind of
> controller it is and which driver I need ?

Did you try the Adaptec drivers?

--
- Dirk

------------------------------

From: (John Auld)
Subject: Re: DUAL-PPGA Celeron?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 21:05:27 GMT

The new socket Celeron CPU's are new and so I am not familiar with
them. Are they capable of running in dual CPU configurations without
surgery ?

What about the Slot 1 400MHz chip - can that run in dual CPU mode.

Thanks

John Auld

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Varela)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.comm,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.os2.setup.misc
Subject: Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice
capable/fax modem software for use in warp4?))
Date: 16 Jan 1999 21:13:43 GMT

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 06:40:34, d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David
Fox) wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Varela) writes:
>
> > I hope everyone appreciates the identitification of OS/2 and Linux
> > as "legacy systems".
>
> To be fair, they are referring to systems that can't deal with
> plug and play, and in most non-broken cases Linux can:

So can OS/2.  I'm using the modem at this instant under OS/2.  I get rock-solid
53.3K connections.

The instructions with the modem said to use the included DOS program to
configure it.  The DOS program configured it to COM3.  Then I went to OS/2,
turned on PnP, and OS/2 configured it to COM1 and has been using it that way
happily ever since.

My problem is I have Linux installed just to play with (for now, at least) and
am afraid that Linux's PnP may change things from what OS/2 did and then I'll be
pingponging back and forth between configurations.  (Perhaps not; COM1 being
free I'd expect any sensible configuration program -- unlike the 3COM-supplied
DOS configuration program -- to settle on the first open port.)  It would
simplify my life to just jumper in the configuration I want and be done with it.

Just as it never occurred to John Brush that an external modem wouldn't have a
volume control, it never occurred to me that a non-Winmodem wouldn't have
jumpers.

> In any case, I'm surprised this can't be made to work correctly under
> Linux.

I imagine it can, and now that winter's here and I have time on my hands I'm
going to try to make that come to pass.

--
    John Varela
    (delete . between mind and spring to e-mail me)

------------------------------

From: pces <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: winmodems and linux
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 01:46:00 +0800

> salut a tous

Salut!  Comment ca va?

(Actually, I haven't spoken or written French in a long time, so I was
very surprised that I could understand most of what you wrote. ;))

> Je sais que les winmodems, type Usrobotics et 3com et autres ne peuvent pas
> marcher sous linux because il y a des problèmes de copyright de portions de
> codes partagées entre windows et le modem.

  Well, as far as I know, that's part of the problem.  The other problembeing
is that from what I've read, normal _REAL_ modems beat
Winmodems hands down.  Of course, I could be entirely wrong.  Anyway,
that being the case, I'm not sure people would be that interested in getting
a crappy modem-type(WinModem) to run on Linux.  I'm not saying that
people aren't-- someone's probably trying to hack a driver for a winmodem--,
it's just that WinModems are useless on any other O/S other than Winbloz.

  Of course, I could be wrong on this issue, but since I _think_ I've been
given that AWESOME opportunity (major sarcasm here) of having a
MWAVE modem(I have an IBM Thinkpad 600 notebook which comes
with a built in mode), I'd be the first person to hope that someone
puts out a driver for it.   The strange thing is, my modem (I think)
is detected at boot time, but as "tty00" UART16550 (or whatever
that # is supposed to be).

  2) peut on les utiliser avec wine?

  I guess that's another option, or another option is to go out and geta real
modem. ;)

A bientot!

Edmund

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: linux viruses
Date: 16 Jan 1999 20:49:58 GMT

In his obvious haste, Student <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
: Peter F. Curran ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) tried to convey the following message:
: : In article <V9Sj2.1837$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: :     "x" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: : >is it possible to get a virus protector for linux?

: Yes and no. McAfee seems to have a Linux port for virus scan, but it is
: only for E-Mail and DOS/Windows files.

E-MAIL??? Is this another one of those Goodtimes scaremongering things or
something?

|[EMAIL PROTECTED]| "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
|     Andrew Halliwell     |                                                 |
|       Finalist in:-      | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
|     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: fvwm2 to afterstep instead on startx
Date: 16 Jan 1999 20:53:43 GMT

In his obvious haste, Michael G Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
: I wish to have Afterstep load instead of Fvwm2 when I type
: startx at my prompt. I am given the ability to switch to each
: other but am unable to locate the doc that would clue me in
: to setting a default window manager on startx.

In SuSE, you should create (or edit) a file called .xinitrc

In that, to start fvwm2, just use exec fvwm2.
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|                                                 |
|    Andrew Halliwell      | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
|     Finallist  in:-      |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
|    Computer science      |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |

From: "David B. Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cdrom attached to snd card
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:03:45 GMT

Yes it works - you need to add an additional parameter when selecting
the cdrom, with port & irq - if you have the red hat manual there is an
example in the appendix

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Watt)
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:53:12 GMT

Yes, I have installed RedHat 5.2 on a Dell Latitude laptop. It is quite
straight forward. Indeed, RedHat has a driver foe NeoMagic video chipset.
I am not sure which video chip you have on your laptop.

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which CPU to upgrade to?
Date: 15 Jan 1999 17:50:18 GMT

Keith Rohrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <77i7ua$aat$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>John Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I am the original poster of this thread.  OK, I have decided, that since I
>>have a socket 5 motherboard, that I will have to buy another motherboard, as
>>well as, a new CPU.  I have decided to get the Intel Celeron 300 and plan to
>>overclock it to 450.
>>Eventually, I would like to move to a PCI sound card.  Also, it is unclear
>>to me if I should go to AGP for video.  At any rate,  I would like to find a
>>celeron mb, that has 5 pci, 1 agp, and 1 or 2 isa slots, and 4 dimms slots.
>>Anyone know of a good manufactuer/model?  Also, I am trying to keep the cost
>>down.
>
>I would've recommended the ABIT BH6, but that's an ATX form factor.  However,
>I'm looking at it myself as it does have 5 PCI slots plus AGP.  It has "only"
>3 DIMM slots AFAIK...but if you actually intend to fill more than 1 dimm
>slot at this time, you can afford a new ATX case and power supply (or you
>have a cheap source of 32M dimms...).

The only BAT Slot 1 motherboard I know of is the Soyo SY-6BB, and
that seems to be pricey and hard to find... not to mention having
only 3 PCI slots.  So ATX is probably required.

The BH6 lets you tweak the CPU voltage and so provides some
insurance if that becomes necessary.  If you need that 5th PCI slot
and voltage tweaking is not required, the AOpen AX6BC is a good
stable alternative with a nice price tag.  Still just 3 DIMM slots
though.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                         Starting at $499

From: "Habib Najm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem trouble
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 09:46:28 -0800

I am told by the PC-vendor that this is definitely not a winmodem.... Are
you sure ?

-HN

------------------------------

From: "Keith G. Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corel StrongArm boxes
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:20:55 -0600

Frank Sweetser wrote:

> "Keith G. Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Frank Sweetser wrote:
> > >
> > > "Keith G. Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > >
> > [snip]

> > [snip]
> > > as for compatability and upgrades.  hardware upgrades - none.  it's a
> > > sealed case, truly WYSIWYG.  software, i don't think it should be a
> > > problem.  it's a pretty stable platform (ie, not changing) so i don't think
> > > that there should be any issues upgrading to the latest software rev.
> > >
> > I guess you're not going to be finding many binary packages, though,
> > huh?
>
> probably not.  luckily they're working with redhat to make the netwinders a
> supported platform, so that should guarantee at least 99% of redhat
> availible - a prett respectable start.  they've also stated they're
> commited to porting their entire product line over to the netwinder via
> extensive contributions to wine.
wine as in WINE?  I thought that was Windows emulation.

------------------------------

From: Dakshi Agrawal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printer trouble Help!!
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:21:50 -0600

Hi all,
        I am trying to get my printer HP LaserJet 4 working with
RHL 5.2 since this Chrismas and no luck yet. Please help!!

My printing problem is that printer either prints garbage
or does not print. When I say does not print, I mean that
the form feed light comes on and if I manually eject the
page, I get garbage again. Other puzzling part is that
twice or thrice it did print what I wanted (since Chrismas).
However, if I shutdown the computer (properly using shutdown
command), and boot it again, the pritner does not work.
I have tried all sequeces, first power up the pritner,
then start the computer ... first power up the computer
then start the printer..... run lpd automatically at the
boot time, do not run it automatically..... At present,
I powerup the printer first, then computer. lpd is
automatically started at the booting time.

Printing-HOWTO says that /proc/devices should show a line
with lp in it. My /proc/devices does not list any lines
with lp in it.Somewhere else, I read that during booting, I should
see something like:

serial port xxx irq xx etcetc detected.
lp_init ..........
a bunch of lines here regarding partitions and hard disks.

I see everything except the line with lp_init and lp
in it.

printtool always detects a device on /dev/lp1. This is
consistant with my earlier notes. I was earlier running
linux with a working printer and my notes say that
printer is attached to lp1. It uses irq 7. Is it possible
that RHL thinks of someother irq for the printer. This
was the case with my modem and after  many frustating days
I set it correctly by writing a rc.serial file. Is something
analogous needs to be done?

In /var/log/messages, I see a message which says something
like

lp1 (polling)

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Dakshi Agrawal

From: "Mark Swope" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc,comp.protocols.ppp
Subject: Re: Total newbie - PLEASE HELP!
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:23:38 -0600

1 - Yes.  For *simplicity* you may wish to use a boot floppy to access
linux and let Win98 boot from the HD.  Otherwise, you can use
loadlin or LILO.  Shouldn't be a problem.
2 - Yes, but I think that the "flavor" tends to be more BSD-like.
mas