Linux-Hardware Digest #271, Volume #9            Tue, 26 Jan 99 04:13:45 EST

Contents:
  Linux/Minix and the H.P. Omnibook 300 (John P. Raynor)
  Re: LCD Panels: XFree86 & Linux Look Great! (Christopher B. Browne)
  Re: 3C509 Combo configuration problem. ("Mark Vandersteen")
  Re: Linux system vendors (Christopher B. Browne)
  Compaq 5220, SuperDisk Drive and Linux (Pierre Rochefort)
  Compaq 5220, SuperDisk Drive and Linux (Pierre Rochefort)
  Compatible CDRW Drive Recommendations?? (Landen Stoker)
  Dual SCSI card with RH? ("Ben Goble, Lakewood Colorado")
  Re: Linux Drivers for Cards that drive digital LCDs?? (Paul Hovnanian)
  Re: Linux Newbie / Mouse Problems! ("Christopher J. Mark")
  [Q] PC Card Hard Drives for Linux? (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
  Re: 3c905 card 100M full duplex (John Thomas)
  Re: TV tuner cards (Jason Radford)
  Re: Cirrus 5424 @ 16bpp? (Bandyopadhyay Rajarshi Dipak)
  Re: linux and k6 chip (Rob Thompson)
  Re: OPL3-SA3 soundboard question (Robert Schiele)
  Re: Adaptec AHA-2920 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul E Larson))
  Re: Linux/Minix and the H.P. Omnibook 300 (John P. Raynor)
  Lilo and UDMA (Carlos Amaya)
  Bios-Driver for Harddisks? (Eric Wick)
  USB? (Rob Sternenberg)
  Is anyone interested in Linux drivers for Dialogic boards? Tell Dialogic...
("Gregory S. Youngblood")
  config intel 740 ("jean-philippe monrat")
  RH5.2/HDD problems... (Whiskey Mike)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John P. Raynor)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.sys.palmtops.hp,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.linux
Subject: Linux/Minix and the H.P. Omnibook 300
Date: 26 Jan 1999 04:48:55 GMT

Has anyone successfully installed Linux (or Minix) on a
Hewlett Packard Omnibook 300?  I realize that the Omnibook 300
is at the very bottom edge of the "Linux-viable" spectrum,
but I thought it might be an interesting learning experience.
Is Linux capable of recognizing (and booting from) the
Omnibook's internal type-III PCMCIA hard drive?  Does anyone
have any suggestions/experiences?
                                                  - J. Raynor

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Crossposted-To:  comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: LCD Panels: XFree86 & Linux Look Great!
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:56:42 GMT

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:43:31 -0700, Jeff Moe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>I have just set up two different 15" LCD panels with RedHat 5.2 Linux
>boxes and XFree86. One is a Philips 151AX (Philips Brilliance). The
>other is the Apple Studio Display. They both look great. If you're
>interested in more info on them, including snippits from my XF86Config
>files, check out
>http://www.themoes.org/linux/lcd/

Apparently these units pretend to be VGA monitors.

I find this somewhat surpising.  They don't need to do the
"modulation/demodulation" of digital to analog signals, which means that
they ought to be able to skip having a "video" card in the way.

The same idea is true as with "digital modems" (aka cable "modems") where
since they use a digital technology, get to skip the evils of the analog
connection.

Or am I "full of it" and people are better off doing a conversion back and
forth?
-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "What have you contributed to Linux today?..."

------------------------------

From: "Mark Vandersteen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3C509 Combo configuration problem.
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:44:12 +1030

Nope Once you change the setting its a peice of cake, if you haven't got the
program let me know and i'll email the dos executable yu need to setup the
card, (the program is very very simple to use:)

Dont go wasting any more money on a new card unless you upgrade to a 100Mbps
network.

Bye the way I said in the previous post to change the port type to 10Base10,
That should have been 10Base-2 sorry...
If your using hub and rj45 cabling then you need 10Base-T

Mark

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message <78glur$o01$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Mark and Brian
>
>Do you then recommend that one should not use the combo card and just get
the
>one that one needs? It seems best to replace my combo due to the wasted
time
>trying to make this work...
>
>Neph
>RHLinux almost there!
>
>In article <R8bo2.47$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  "Mark Vandersteen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> You will need to use the setup program that comes with the card to set
the
>> card to use T Base-T instead of TBase10 socket and, Also while in there
>> disable plug'n'play as that can cause card detection problems
>>
>> Mark Vandersteen [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Powered by Linux !  Obsessed with women !
>> The thoughts here are not necessariy mine !
>>
>> Brian Bui wrote in message <77pm8i$b0i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >    I recently started linux with slackware 3.6 on a pentium system.
The

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Subject: Re: Linux system vendors
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:57:59 GMT

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:13:29 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
posted:
>Hi,
>
>Can anyone tell me the vendors selling
>"preinstalled linux" systems. I want a home
>PC with following approximate config:
>
>400 MHz AMD K6-2.
>128 MB SDRAM
>10 GiG Ultra DMA IDE
>56 Kbps Modem (** a must **)
>Sound Blaster Card (16-bit)
>DVD (Donot know if they are currently supported by linux)

DVD can probably be treated as a CD-ROM, but not much better than that.

See the URL below for a sizable list of URLs for Linux VARs

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/linuxvars.html>

From: Pierre Rochefort <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compaq 5220, SuperDisk Drive and Linux
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:45:44 -0500

Hello all!

I just bought a Compaq 5220 (AMD-K6-2 380) with a SuperDisk Drive that
doubles as a floppy drive. I am trying to install the slakware
distribution with two floppies (Boot and root disks). My problem is
simple, I can't get past the boot disk. When I try to insert the root
disk, I get all sort of error messages. Has anyone had this problem? If
so, how was it resolved?

Anyone who can help, do not hesitate to write to me. Email is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks.
Pierre

P.S.: right now, I'm trying to install from hard drive but no success so
far...stay tuned... ;-)

------------------------------

From: Landen Stoker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compatible CDRW Drive Recommendations??
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:32:30 -0600

I need to install a CDRW drive in a linux server this week, for backup
purposes. Can anyone recommend a good reliable IDE drive. Also is there
any problems commonly encountered installing CDRW under linux, and where
can I find any more information about CDR's or CDRW's and Linux?

Thanks
Landen Stoker

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:52:12 -0700
From: "Ben Goble, Lakewood Colorado" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dual SCSI card with RH?

I have an AHA-3490UW (dual channel) SCSI controller
on an all SCSI system. My wide drives are on channel A
and my Plextor 8X CDROM is on channel B. Windows sees
the Plextor with no problem but I can not install
RedHat 5.2 because does not see the CD on channel B.

Is there a wha to get RedHat to see channel B?
--
Ben Goble  Lakewood,  Colorado  USA
bgoble at uswest dot net  bgoble at nyx dot net

------------------------------

From: Paul Hovnanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Drivers for Cards that drive digital LCDs??
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:45:50 -0800

Satyajit Rao wrote:

> Hi,
>         I would like to get a good *digital* LCD  montior for my linux
> machine. The first problem of
> course is that there aren't many digital LCD monitors out there.  There
> is the new SGI 1600SW,
> monitor that requires a Number Nine Revolution IV card, but as far as I
> know this card does not
> have a linux driver.
>
> Does anybody know of linux drivers for cards that drive digital LCDs?

Maybe you could find an LCD that works with a better range of standard
cards. Look at:

http://www.viewsonic.com/PROD/PANEL.HTM

I don't know much about these, but I have heard reports that they are
a straight across swap for some common monitors.

--
Paul Hovnanian     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=Open-source%20Microsoft%20now%21

------------------------------

From: "Christopher J. Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Newbie / Mouse Problems!
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 01:08:43 -0500

>  I also have a Teac55A CDROM on an
> interface card, using address 230. I don't think it uses an IRQ, and I

I have a 55A also. I had a lot of trouble getting it recognized until I
rejumpered the (16bit) interface card to the default value of 2C0. (It
works fine now.) Did you get yours to work on 230? If so, how?
--
Christopher J. Mark
Mathematician, Tutor, and Webpage designer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: [Q] PC Card Hard Drives for Linux?
Date: 26 Jan 1999 11:32:07 +0800

Hi:

Is there any PCMCIA type hard drive that supports Linux out there?  My
laptop is running out of its 1.4GB internal IDE hard drive.  Thanks for any
tips.

Napi

------------------------------

From: John Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3c905 card 100M full duplex
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 06:46:32 GMT

If this is a SWITCHING HUB or a HUB, FULL DUPLEX will not work correctly. If
it is a SWITCH, then it should work automatically.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Radford)
Subject: Re: TV tuner cards
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 06:42:10 GMT

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:20:37 GMT, Tom Herman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I just installed the Hauppauge WinTV PCI card - works great!
>It's kinda hard getting the right combination of software through.
>
>Kernel 2.1.125, Latest bttv drivers, shell script to load bttv
>drivers as modules with correct parameters, XawTV application.

Same here, installed a WinTV hauppage with KDE and Xaw for viewing my
DSS stuff on, works great on 2.0.36, WinTV ran about $59

-Jason

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,nf.comp.linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bandyopadhyay Rajarshi Dipak)
Subject: Re: Cirrus 5424 @ 16bpp?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 07:45:42 GMT

In article <7872e4$4ah$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John David Bowden wrote:
It has enough Video RAM (1meg) to go up to 800x600@16bit, which is how I'd
like to run it.  But according to the X docs, it says if I have a Cirrus
5424 in an ISA slot, and more than 16megs of system RAM, I can't run the
card higher than 8bit.

I even tried appending "mem=16M" to LILO, but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Hi
My cIrrus Logic 5430 works fine at 16 bpp ( 1 meg menory)
RB

        Let me tonight look back at the span
                'Twixt dawn and dark & to my conscience say:
        "Because of some good act to beast or man,
                The world is better that I lived today."

                                        ---Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 01:39:18 -0500
From: Rob Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux and k6 chip

Larry,

  For whatever it's worth, a couple of weeks ago I bought an IBM aptiva with an
AMD K-6-2/ 350 Mhz with 3-D now, and installed  RedHat 5.2 and everything seems
to be running great.  I've recompiled the kernel several times, installed KDE,
etc.

Rob Thompson

P.S. On the downside, after I bought it I learned the hard way what a
"Winmodem" is :(

------------------------------

From: Robert Schiele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.development,linux.redhat.misc,alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: OPL3-SA3 soundboard question
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:43:29 +0100

root wrote:
> =

> If anybody out there knows how to configure Yamaha OPL3-SA3 soundboard
> on linux (RedHat 5.2), please help. I tried to insmod the opl3-sa modul=
> but it gives me the device or resource busy message, in any case it
> suposed to be a supported chip. Thanx in advance     Sergio (Florence,
> Italy)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can=B4t use opl3-sa module with OPL3-SA3, it only supports OPL3-SA1.
To run an OPL3-SA3 you need to use the normal opl3 module. See kernel
documentation for more information.

------------------------------

From: whistler<blahblah>@twcny.rr.com (Paul E Larson)
Subject: Re: Adaptec AHA-2920
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 07:57:23 GMT

In article <78ioq7$of4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I have an Adaptec AHA-2920 without an onboard BIOS (no idea why, and Adaptec
>has said that it has no replacements).  Before killing myself by buying
>another SCSI host card, I would really like to know if it is possible to
>install any version of Linux with this card and a CDROM drive?  The
>Autoprobe feature of Slakware/Redhat do not detect (duh, no BIOS) the card,
>and I'm unsure what parameters to enter and in what order for manual input
>(if this is even an option).  Can anybody tell me if I'm spinning my wheels
>and should should get a new card, or is it really possible to do what I
>propose with this setup?

Worked fine with the Future Domain 16xx (TCM-16xx) drivers.

Paul

Get rid of the blahs to email me :}

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John P. Raynor)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.sys.palmtops.hp,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux/Minix and the H.P. Omnibook 300
Date: 26 Jan 1999 05:11:17 GMT

John P. Raynor ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Has anyone successfully installed Linux (or Minix) on a
: Hewlett Packard Omnibook 300?  I realize that the Omnibook 300
: is at the very bottom edge of the "Linux-viable" spectrum,
: but I thought it might be an interesting learning experience.
: Is Linux capable of recognizing (and booting from) the
: Omnibook's internal type-III PCMCIA hard drive?  Does anyone
: have any suggestions/experiences?

My apologies for posting a follow-up message to my own thread,
but I have to add that the Omnibook 300 in question has a
whole *4* megabytes of RAM installed, not 2.
                                                  - J. Raynor

------------------------------

From: Carlos Amaya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lilo and UDMA
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 05:02:37 +0000

How can I setup Lilo to boot with UDMA hard drives... ???

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Wick)
Subject: Bios-Driver for Harddisks?
Date: 26 Jan 1999 05:53:16 GMT

Hello,

is there a Biosdriver to use any kind of Harddisk an Controller that ist
supported by the System-Bios??

Bye

Eric

------------------------------

From: Rob Sternenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB?
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:35:29 -0600

Any linux kernels or distros out there supporting USB mice/etc. yet?

------------------------------

From: "Gregory S. Youngblood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is anyone interested in Linux drivers for Dialogic boards? Tell Dialogic...
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:35:00 -0600

Dialogic, one of the leading Computer Telephony hardware vendors, is trying
to ascertain the amount of interest in Linux drivers for their hardware.

The survey is at http://www.linuxtelephony.org/dialogic_survey.htm and will
be closed sometime on January 29, 1999.

In the past, for at least the two to three years I have been trying,
Dialogic has always responded with "there are no plans to support Linux"
when asked for drivers or support. Requests from several customers for the
specs so that others could write the drivers were turned down, even when
offers to develop under NDA and return the results to Dialogic for
distribution were given.

Around January 10th, a Dialogic person asked a few questions to determine
how many people and/or companies were interested in Linux drivers for their
hardware. I have posted these questions at
http://www.linuxtelephony.org/dialogic_survey.htm.

If you are interested in Computer Telephony using Linux, and would like to
see Dialogic drivers for Linux, then please take a few seconds to fill out
and submit this survey. The results are sent directly to the person
requesting the information. In addition, at the completion of the survey,
the results will be published in a report and given to several others in
Dialogic.

Right now, the survey is scheduled to end on January 29.

Thank you,
Gregory S. Youngblood

------------------------------

From: "jean-philippe monrat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: config intel 740
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 21:27:01 +0100

je suis débutant sous linux et je n'arrive pas à configurer ma carte
graphique.

merci
à+

------------------------------

From: Whiskey Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH5.2/HDD problems...
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:44:17 -0600

Hello all...

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with the problems
I've been having recently. A few weeks ago, I installed RedHat 5.2.
Since then, I've been having some problems.

The first one was a weird memory leak in which X crashed, and the only
way to get back into X was to reboot. It hasn't happened since, and I've
since re-installed 5.2 and lost that particular error message.

However, now one of the drives in my workstation is occasionally making
strange noises. After checking /var/log/messages, I get the following:

Jan 24 00:49:39 phat kernel: hda: status timeout: status=0x80 { Busy }
Jan 24 00:49:39 phat kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03, sector
2506774
Jan 24 00:49:39 phat kernel: hda: drive not ready for command
Jan 24 00:49:39 phat kernel: hda: status timeout: status=0x80 { Busy }
Jan 24 00:49:39 phat kernel: hda: drive not ready for command
Jan 24 00:49:53 phat kernel: ide0: reset: success

And starting today, I'm getting these messages:

Jan 24 01:46:56 phat kernel: EXT2-fs warning (device 03:03):
ext2_free_inode: bit already cleared for inode 313577
Jan 24 01:46:56 phat kernel: EXT2-fs warning (device 03:03):
ext2_free_blocks: bit
already cleared for block 1255006

I talked to a few friends about this, and they all said not to worry
about it. What really bothers me, however, is the fact that these 2
types of messages are filling up 80% of my /var/log/messages, which
definitely does not seem right.

And these errors only happened after installing RH5.2 on my system.
I previously had 4.1, 4.2, 5.0, and 5.1 on the system, and never got any
messages like that.

Is it a kernel problem, or is 5.2 just broken like 5.0 was?

Thanks in advance.

Whiskey Mike