From: "pozzugno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus 800+
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:18:53 GMT

> This printer is supported by the gimp-print plugin available from
> http://sourceforge.net ,

Are you sure? On the home page,  there isn't Stylus 800+ (it's not a stylus
color and
note the plus sign).

------------------------------

From: "Keith Wheeler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ECC hw support
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:33:17 -0700

Plutao,

Well I can help a bit here. If you go to http://www.corsairmicro.com/ and
select Compatibility Lab, you can select various motherboard makers and
models and see what supports ECC that way. I know Kingston has a similar
feature at their site also.

RedHat supports most of the more common M/B chipsets.

Good Luck,
KW

news:954e9t$pds$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Clusters....
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:13:01 -0700

> I'm rather new on this group so maybe at first I'll introduce myself. I'm
> mathematics student from the University of warsaw (for all who doesn't
know
> where Warsaw is: it's the capital city of Poland). I simultanously run my
> home computer under Linux (Mandrake 7.2) and Windows ME. I rather use it
for
> some mathematical computation then for gaming but sometimes ;-).
>
> So my question is: does anybody of you have expereince with building up
and
> configuring computation clusters ? I'll try to get financial means to
> construct a standalone HPCC with special refference to financial
> statistics/probability computation and I need someone who'd be helpfull if
> get the money... ;-).

  You should probably start out with the book "Building Linux Clusters".
Not exactly the definitive work on the matter, but it will at least get you
started on some of the more important ideas. : )

steve

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:47:42 -0800
From: Rob Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UPS selection

I don't know about USB, but I have a Belkin FC625 that I'm very happy
with. Plugs into a serial port to monitor line and battery state.
Although you can use the "modem control signal" connection method, this
UPS can be interrogated using real serial data on the port too.

I'm using "nut" to monitor the UPS and shutdown when the battery becomes
critical. Nut takes a bit of configuration, but once done works very
nicely. (Note, use the nut "trust425+625" driver for this Belkin UPS).
The supplied serial lead work perfectly with my system, so there's no
cables to make up.

--
Rob Thompson.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]    |  "Nothing unreal exists."
Mentor Graphics Corp.       | Tel: (503) 685 1823
8005 S.W. Boeckman Road     | Fax: (503) 685 1654
Wilsonville, OR 97070-7777  | The number -e^( i * pi ) in test.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: 2.4 architecture support
Date: 29 Jan 2001 16:42:16 -0600

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:19:29 +0100, Henrik Carlqvist
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Lew Pitcher wrote:
>> >    Does anyone have a definitive list of the number of different
>> >architecture's that the Linux 2.4 kernel support's? I mean
>> > everything from the IA-64, i386, MIPS, Crusoe, etc...
>
>ls /usr/src/linux/arch
>
>However, CPUs like Crusoe and most AMDs are only i386 clones.

ditto for the 486, pentium, pentium II, and pentium III.  They add
a few instructions here and there, but are basicaly 386s.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Newton)
Subject: Unwanted Power Saving Under 2.4.0
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:34:57 +0000

Hi All,

Am running LM7.2 with a shiny (almost) new kernel 2.4.0.
Mainboard is an MSI K7Pro (6195).

The problem is that after a short while of inactivity the
console blanks (fine). After a bit longer though the
system goes into a 'deep suspend' (not a crash). It is
woken again by a mouse movement or other interupt and
resumes fine.

The problem is I only want the console blanking. When the
system suspends no processes are run, including dnet,
which is doing nothing for my ranking! Furthermore,
the software clock stops during the suspend and resumes
having lost the time. The hardware clock is naturally ok.

The mainboard has both APM and ACPI onboard and I tried a
kernel with both compiled in. APM appears ok but the ACPI
table signatures were bad so it wasn't used. The problem
persisted with APM so I took it out.

The problem I now descibe is with a kernel with NO power
saving features compiled in or loaded as modules! I
therefore wonder if this is desired behaviour or not.
Under my previous 2.2.1X kernel the console blanked but
didn't suspend quite so deeply that dnet didn't process.

Any help / advice appreciated,

Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joergen Pihlflyckt)
Subject: Re: Voodoo 3500 TV functions
Date: 30 Jan 2001 01:04:36 +0200

p43cibmgs-Frank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I have a VooDoo 33500 TV video card, and I have looked all over for somthing on using
>the TV/Radio/RCA in/out functions.
>Has anyone got these to work? Does anyone know where I can find some information on
>this?

Yes. There's drivers at http://v3tv.sourceforge.net, but they are VERY
unstable. And they are not even released yet. If you have CVS, you could
give the drivers a try, or better yet, help with development :-)
=====
eMail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Home: +358-9-87750100
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]          Work: +358-9-4514777
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    GSM:  +358-50-3653601
WWW:    http://pihlflyckt.hut.fi/   Fax:  +358-50-83653601

------------------------------

From: Steve Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Slot 1/FCPGA converters?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:06:26 GMT

Anyone know if there exists a converter to allow a Slot 1 CPU to be
mounted to an FCPGA motherboard? TIA,

-steve

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:01:50 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:19:29 +0100, Henrik Carlqvist
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>ls /usr/src/linux/arch
>>
>>However, CPUs like Crusoe and most AMDs are only i386 clones.

> ditto for the 486, pentium, pentium II, and pentium III.  They add
> a few instructions here and there, but are basicaly 386s.

Eh? No. Nowhere near!

They may accept the same instruction set, but the architecture is
completely different, The 686 line in particular is basically a risc
superscalar design, with twin pipelines and incoming i386 instructions
being converted to an internal instruction set which is then optimized
as it arrives, with out of order execution and so on ...

Cisc outside, risc (by any other name) inside, and delayed out of order
execution with dynamic optimization is hardly "basically 386".

A real expert will tell you more. I've forgotten everything I ever knew
about microprocessor design (i.e. some of the above may be faultily
recalled too!).

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Watkinson)
Subject: Have a Linux Systems Company? - Submit it to Dmoz!
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:18:53 GMT

Hi,

Dmoz - the Open Directory Project is a Yahoo Like Co-operative Links
site.

Links submitted to Dmoz are submitted to these Links sites - All the
Web - Deja - Google - HotBot - Infoseek - Lycos - Northern Light +
hundreds more.

Go to

http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Companies/Complete_Systems/

and post your link.

 Kind regards,

peterwatkinson - Open Directory Project Editor
Peter Watkinson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.windsurf-international.com/
http://www.pwnavigate.com/
http://you.genie.co.uk/peterw/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: re:kernel compilation problem
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:29:07 GMT

As I have written in my prevoius email, there are about 100 of these
modules. The ones which are needed, are already compiled in the kernel.

In article <954jji$6i0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Walter Rusin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tyr to compile following modules as part of the system kelrnel. As
far as I
> know it's better to have 'fat' and network-card-support in the kernel.
>
> Walter

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Hossam Hossny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMR modem & CS4280 sound chib
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:28:59 GMT

I registered with ALSA e-mailing list before I post my question here
I also posted my question there but with no reply !!
I dont know whether I didnt make my question clear or my question was
too hard !
anyway, I tried to recompile ALSA with debug mode on (as it is said in
it's installation) but nothing wrong with that
the problem is when I try to modprobe snd-card-461x even with modified
parameters...no use really.
my question now is: how can I make use of snd-461x with or without ALSA?
and my 2nd question is: how can I remove ALSA permenantly from my linux
box??
thanx again

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unwanted Power Saving Under 2.4.0
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:51:45 -0700

> The mainboard has both APM and ACPI onboard and I tried a
> kernel with both compiled in. APM appears ok but the ACPI
> table signatures were bad so it wasn't used. The problem
> persisted with APM so I took it out.
>
> The problem I now descibe is with a kernel with NO power
> saving features compiled in or loaded as modules! I
> therefore wonder if this is desired behaviour or not.

  Try disabling the power saving in the BIOS.

steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:03:24 -0000

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:00:03 GMT, pozzugno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Ray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Here is the contents of my /proc/parport/0/*
>>
>> homer:/tmp# cat /proc/parport/0/irq
>> none
>> homer:/tmp# cat /proc/parport/0/hardware
>> base:   0x3bc
>> irq:    none
>> dma:    none
>> modes:  SPP,PS2
>> homer:/tmp# cat /proc/parport/0/devices
>>  lp
>> homer:/tmp# cat /proc/parport/0/autoprobe
>
>They are as mine except I specify IRQ when loading module.
>Can it be a problem?

Possibly.  Not specifying an IRQ at all is safer but less efficient.

>> >Nothing, because I have parport compiled as module.
>>
>> I don't know about your system but on mine dmesg keeps logging module
>loads
>> etc. even after bootup so no matter when a module loads it still shows up.
>
>When I load parport_pc and lp modules, /var/log/messages shows correct
>lines.
>
>> Can I assume you are also loading parport_pc and lp modules?
>
>Yes.
>
>> >If you send a file directly to /dev/lp[0,1,2] does it work?
>>
>> Yes
>
>This is a problem!!!!!
>I tried to cat a file into /dev/lp[0,1,2] but nothing!!!
>AARGHHH!
>
>Are you sure? You type:
>    echo "hello" >/dev/lp0
>and it works?

Yes, as does "cat /etc/printcap > /dev/lp0"

>> >Another question, can you print from *pure* DOS or not?
>>
>> I believe so but I'm not in a position to re-boot just now.
>
>Can you try and tell me the result?

I'll give it a try a bit later tonight but I'm pretty sure it'l work.

>> >What are your BIOS settings for parallel port?
>>
>> 0x3bc IRQ 7  I'm not using interrupt driven printing so the IRQ doesn't
>> matter in my case.
>
>What is the setting for parallel port? ECP, EPP, bidirectional or what
>other?

Probably EPP but I'll check that as well.

>> Since you apparently are using interrupt driven printing can you check
>> /proc/interrupts both before and after "echo 'hello' > /dev/lp0".  Has the
>> number of interrupts incremented?  I don't know how well this works for
>> printers but it's served me well diagnosing serial ports and sound cards.
>
>I'll try..
>I don't know what is "interrupt driven printing"...

By default Linux (and OS/2 and maybe DOS) use "polled" printing.  They send
a chunk of data to the port and then start repeatedly checking to see if
it's ready for more.  If you specify an interrupt then Linux doesn't come
back to the printer port until the port triggers it's interrupt.  This makes
printing somewhat faster and doesn't slow the rest of the system down so
much while printing.

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: Re: kernel compilation problem
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:08:04 -0000

What happens if you do a "depmod -a" and re-boot?

How about if you move your old modules out of the way before doing make
modules install?

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Adaptec 2100s - Nightmare
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:23:56 GMT

I'm working with the 2100s on a RH6.2 box also,
using 2.2.18 kernel with patches from the sources
dir of the cd. That was all good and I was also
able to format & mount the device but am getting
massive SCSI errors when I start moving data to
it- eg;

4:28:33 trixie kernel: scsi : aborting command due
to timeout : pid 77338, scsi2
l 1, id 0, lun 0 Write (10) 00 00 71 fd ff 00 00
80 00
4:31:37 trixie kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for
host 2 channel 1.
4:31:37 trixie kernel: SCSI host 2 abort (pid
77545) timed out - resetting

Have you had any luck yet? It looks like
termination problems.

In article <94pnu9$obs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have had this 2100s for several weeks now, and
> am still unable to get it to work correctly.
>
> Initially, I tried things with Mandrake, but
since
> I could not get the appropriate patches for the
> kernel to work, I installed Redhat 7.0.
>
> I was sent drivers via email, and I patched the
> kernel, however I was unable to compile the
kernel
> due to gcc issues in RH7.
>
> I then installed Redhat 6.2 and tried a prebuilt
> module.  That allowed me to do everything,
> including mount the raid (6 36 gig U160 SCSI
disks
> on RAID5).  But, any time I tried to copy files
> the raid, it would post errors.  I was using a
> beta module driver.
>
> I don't know what to do now.  I can't download
> anything from adaptec's site, and I just want
this
> system to work.
>
> - Hugh Buchanan
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: Re: Argument for Linux: WebCam
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:39:40 -0000

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:47:55 GMT, Mickey Mullin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>My company is putting together a web camera that is going to be
>watching the development of a carpentry project.  I would rather go
>with a Linux box driving the camera, because it can be lighter weight
>and easier to maintain.  My partner, on the other hand, thinks Windows
>would be easier, since more cameras come prepackaged with drivers for
>Windows and maintenance on the equipment would be simpler with
>PCAnywhere or something similar.
>
>Does anyone have some further arguments, or better yet specific
>products or articles, about how Linux would be an easier and better
>solution?  (Cost is not a real issue, in this case, so I can't use that
>point.)

This may be what you meant by "lighter weight" but I think the fact that you
can run Linux "headless" (ie. no monitor, keyboard, mouse) would be an
advantage.  I know some people manage this with Win. but every time I've
tried it I end up having to plug everything back in just so I can click OK
on something or another.  It's pretty hard to screw Linux up so bad you
can't telnet into it and if you do you can just plug a laptop into it's
serial port (laptops are way more lugable than monitors).

As for PCAnywhere, you should look into VNC.  It's free, good, and available
for both Linux and Win (and others).  If you'll be accessing it remotely
then Telnet & SSH are way faster than PCA or VNC.

I don't know much about webcams but Linux seems to be pretty good at
automating tasks.  Lets say that in addition to whatever else you are doing
with the video stream, you want to take one of your frames each hour, turn
it into a jpeg and email it to yourself.  In Linux that should be a simple
cron job shouldn't interfere with your main stream.  With Win. you'd
probably have to log in and do it manually each time and hope the video
stream doesn't show up on your desktop otherwise PCA will slow to a crawl
trying to keep up.

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Compatible systems?
Date: 30 Jan 2001 01:20:23 GMT

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 21:00:14 -0800, Ken Moffat staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I'm about to buy a new machine, and would like to hear success stories
>about linux installation on various major vendor machines. Anyone had
>success with IBM, HP, Compaq, Gateway, Dell, Micron, you know, the big
>guys?
>I'd like to go down to Compusa or Officewhatever and buy a cheap fast
                                                            ^^^^^
>windows machine and install linux and have it work without major
>headaches.

When it comes to physical objects like hardware, you get what you pay
for.  Cheap hardware causes *MANY* problems, and if you're new to Linux,
you may give up in disgust as your cheap system crashes, hangs, and
freezes unpredictably because of hardware flakiness.  Been There, Done
That, Never Going Back--and the "cheap" system was from Gateway, a
"major" manufacturer who refused to believe that their hardware was
br0ken, and claimed my problems were because I installed an unsupported
OS.

Stay away from HP, Compaq, and Gateway.  HP's consumer-level x86
machines are put together with shoddy components.  Similar story for
Compaq; in the old days they sold machines that took parts that were
very slightly incompatible with standards, and you could only buy
replacement parts from Compaq at vastly inflated prices.  See above for
Gateway.

>From what I've seen, Dell's desktops are *slightly* better.  Then again,
I herded a large installation of Dell desktops where the buyers specced
for quality and reliability, not k3wl features and low price tags.  The
last time I saw an IBM desktop was... er, 1996.

Avoid anything with RAMBUS or an i810 chipset.  Find someone (not a
salesperson, a hardware geek) who knows what's what and ask their
opinion on a couple of your top choices.  Better yet, build your own box
from parts.  The quality will be far greater, and you'll learn a lot
from doing it.  Or have a local geek put together a box for you; you can
often bribe them with beer and pizza especially if you live near a
university.  There's a guide at http://ars-technica.com/ somewhere and
it's not nearly as hard as it sounds.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: wingnut64 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB AWE 32/64 config
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 01:51:32 GMT

when preforming a manual config form my soundblaster awe 32/64 sound
card (using sndconfig), i get a message saying:
/lib/modules/2.2.12-20/sb.o: init_module:
Device or Resource Busy
sound: device or rescource busy

I take it to mean that either another device is using it's IRQ (7), or
that it is improperly configured. When booting Linux (Radhat 6.1), i get
an error about the isapnp.conf file having an error around line 342.
Line 342 deals somehow with audio. When runnin sndconfig w/ autoprobe
ON, i get the line 342 in isapnp.conf error, with autoprobe off and
manualy setting it up, the above device or resource error.
Any ideas on how to fix it?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/