From: TC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Cirrus 5426
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:42:35 -0500

Wondering if anyone has had any luck in getting this chip to run in
16bpp or 24bpp modes in X.......I know of all the known issuses and have
tried linear mode and various mem addresses......but I'm running 24 megs
of ram. Since this chip can run in 24 bit in windows.....there has to be
a way.....NO?.........thanx for any help

------------------------------

From: Gilles Carte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: data acquisition
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:46:32 +0100

Mircea wrote:

> The problem with data acquisition through joystick port, is that the
> inputs expect a resistive load, since PC joysticks use potentiometers.
> They transduce the impedance to digital signals by connecting the input
> to a capacitor, which results in a RC circuit, and the resonance
> frequence is measured. I guess you could use a FET to drive the input,
> in the linear part of the characteristic, but even so the performance
> would be very low, probably DC to several hundreds Hz, at most.
>
> MST

Hi Mircea,

Thank you for your answer about data acquisition using the joystick
port.

You told me about a "FET" but I am not sure to know what it is. (It
seems to me that it is a kind of transistor with a fiel effect...
 do you confirm ?).

For the software part of the data acquisition system, I think that I
found the solution. Yesterday, I donwloaded the joystick driver from a
ftp Linux site (the source code). Thus, I guess that I will be abble to
introduce it in the software that I want to write.

Gilles IV (merci de changer l'R).

INRIA, Sophia Antipolis, projet SINUS, tel : 04 92 38 71 63 (Euler,
B110).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.os.networking,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Netgear FA310TX and Redhat 5.2, tulip installation (#2)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:03:27 GMT

Martin,

There's been an issue over the difference between the FA310TX's with a
chip by Digital, being phased out, and the newer FA310TX's with a
semi-clone chip. The clone chips say "Netgear" on them. The Digital
chips say "Digital." There are various versions of the tulip driver
and as of before Christmas when I was working with these on a several
machines none of the versions was quite right for the latter-day
FA310TX. The closest was I think v89H (there was a series of letters,
including a K more recent, and a v90 as I recall, still more recent,
but the H was better). The Digital's worked like a charm; the drivers
had been written for them.

Take all of this with a little grain of salt, but go search on FA310TX
and tulip and related keywords on www.dejanews.com and the commentary
of before Chistmas, plus any more recent developments (which I haven't
been tracking) should pop up for you.

Good luck,
David Morgan

From: "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Multiport Ethernet Cards
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:33:13 -0800

Does anyone know of any quad or dual port ethernet cards supported by Linux?

------------------------------

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adaptec AHA-2920
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:48:09 -0500

Greetings,

I have an Adaptec AHA-2920 without an onboard BIOS (no idea why, and Adaptec
has said that it has no replacements).  Before killing myself by buying
another SCSI host card, I would really like to know if it is possible to
install any version of Linux with this card and a CDROM drive?  The
Autoprobe feature of Slakware/Redhat do not detect (duh, no BIOS) the card,
and I'm unsure what parameters to enter and in what order for manual input
(if this is even an option).  Can anybody tell me if I'm spinning my wheels
and should should get a new card, or is it really possible to do what I
propose with this setup?

Any help would be appreciated.  Please reply via email and group.  Remove
the obvious to email me.

Michael

From: "al" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.sys.palmtops.hp,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.laptops,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux/Minix and the H.P. Omnibook 300
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:42:04 +1100

There are sites for linux on notebooks
http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html gives list of sites
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/  linux laptop home page
http://hyper.stanford.edu/HyperNews/get/pcmcia/home.html linux pcmcia  info
http://www.castle.net/X-notebook/ linux and xwindows on notebooks

on the linux.org page is a list of supported models but Hp omni 300 is not
there

shoud be able to get a basic distribution going but may have to give x a
miss.should consider using an older version of slackware(less gui than
redhat)
may also want to have a look at freebsd www.freebsd.org or
www.freebsdrocks.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Turtlebeach Fiji soundcard: no /dev/sndstat?
Date: 26 Jan 1999 10:10:17 GMT

Anyone using linux with a Fiji/Pinnacle soundcard?

If I (or an application) tries to get sound status from /dev/sndstat, I
get an 'Operation not supported by device' error.

Is this to do with the driver, does anyone know, or the card itself?

Anyone know if I can do anything about it? Any help would be appreciated.

Nick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Sound card opti931 problem -- help!
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:54:22 GMT

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 01:36:14 +0000, "Jesus M. Salvo Jr."
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I badly need help as I have been losing sleep for the last few nights
>trying to get this card to work.

I had similar problem a few weeks ago , but I managed to get that
sound card to work.
I have RedHat5.2 and 2.0.36 kernel
This is how I did it:
read the /usr/src/linux/Documentation/OPTi , I think it is in that
path , but I'm not shure.
I followed the instruction from that file , but it still didn't work ,
so after that you must run sndconfig and set up the card as Mad16 Pro
with the data like in the isapnp.conf file (irq,dma....) , reboot and
it should work, it did for me.

------------------------------

From: tong deng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to install IBM 16/4 Token-ring Card?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:51:59 +0900

   I have two questions:

1 . How to install IBM 16/4 Token-ring Card on my RedHat5.0 ?
2. How to support (mount) WIN95 FAT32 filesystem in RedHat5.0?

                               Anyone know?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: "David Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Card setup under Debian linux
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 20:48:17 -0000

I've recently installed Debian Linux onto my computer, and am trying to get
my soundcard to work. I've got one built into the motherboard - according to
Win95 it's a C-media CM8330. I've tried their website (www.cmedia.com.tw)
but no luck. It claims (!) to be SB16 compatible, and if I load their DOS
driver before loading Linux with loadlin Linux will detect it (from cat
sndstat). However, if I pipe a sound file to /dev/audio the screen fills up
with garbage. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
On another note, I have 74MB of memory in my box, but Linux only seems to
report 64. Any ideas on that as well?

thanks for your help!

David Harris
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://divad.chu.cam.ac.uk/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tobias Reckhard)
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Linux firewall
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 20:10:57 GMT

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 21:03:37 GMT, "Neil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have a linux firewall that is up and running and connected to all the
>computers in my house it is running Slackware 3.5.0.  My problem is I want
>to be able to play Diablo on battle.net. But I need to set up udp packets to
>be sent through the firewall.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You probably need to do more than just let UDP through, at least if
Diablo works like Starcraft over Battle.net. Email me if you still
need help with it (I'm reading this with a test setup, so the email
address in my from header is probably wrong - sorry for the
inconvenience, but I'm not going to be reading this group anymore
after today, I was just using it to test leafnode).

Tobias

------------------------------

From: Steven Headley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Problems mounting JAZ drive
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:23:30 -0600

Hello everyone,
    I am having problems mounting my Jaz drive to RedHat Linux 5.2. This
same procedure worked on RedHat 5.0 but dosen't want to work in 5.2.
When I try:

 mount -t ext2 /dev/sdb4 /backup:

I get the following:mount: /dev/sdb4 is not a valid block device.

I know the system recognizes the drive since it shows in the
/var/messages:

Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec 1542
Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel: scsi : 1 host.
Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel:   Vendor: SEAGATE   Model:
ST15150N          Rev: 0011
Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel:   Type:
Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel: Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel
0, id 0, lun 0
Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel:   Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: CD-ROM
CR-508     Rev: XS03
Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel:   Type:
CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel: Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0,
channel 0, id 3, lun 0
Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel:   Vendor: iomega    Model: jaz
1GB           Rev: H.71
Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel:   Type:
Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel: Detected scsi removable disk sdb at
scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel: SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes.
Sectors= 8388315 [4095 MB] [4.1 GB]
Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel:  sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8
sda9 sda10 sda11 >
Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel: SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes.
Sectors= 2091050 [1021 MB] [1.0 GB]
Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel: sdb: Write Protect is off
Sep 23 18:12:05 HLinux kernel:  sdb:

I am wondering why it won't mount the drive.
Any help would be appreciated

               Steven Headley

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 05:27:57 -0600
From: Brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH5.2 and Maxtor 6.8G HDD

I have a Maxtor 8.4 Gig / Abit LX6 / 300 PII booting between Win98 and
Linux RH 5.2 and all is well. I did not use the maxtor disk utility. I
partiotioned using Win95's FDisk. The diference between these two
systems should not be enough to cause one to crash a hard drive.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: X on AT&T/NCR Globalyst 520
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:30:24 GMT

Hi,

> I'm using a Globalyst 590 w/ ATI Mach 32 card.  Works great!
> There's an X utility in the X server software.  It's named
> something like xconfig or vgaconfig.  There's also a
> '-probeonly' switch when starting X.

I know it too. But I might have missed it while installing the system. I
couldn't find anything close with 'find / | grep -i x | grep -i config |
more'.

Thanx

John-Luc

From: Brezeanu Calin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WHEE!!!! Linux on an 386 (for real) w/ 4M
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:58:01 +0200

    What kind of 386 ? On my 386 (SX, 33Mhz) with 4Mb RAM a make dep; make
clean ;make zImage needs about 2-3 hours.

    Calin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin The Cynical)
Subject: Re: HP printer
Date: 26 Jan 1999 12:01:23 GMT

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 02:05:13 -0800, Earnest Bovine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
->The HP website
->
->www.all-in-one-home.com/products/600.html
->
->says Windows only.  No Unix.

        But it should be able to run under *NIX as a printer.  The 500 series
are based on the 600 print engine.  I believe the 600's are not that different
and will work the same way.

->Too bad; I have OfficeJet 300.

        Which is based on the old standby DJ500 series.  Virtual tanks, those
printers were.  I know I'm quite happy with my 550C sitting next to me.

--
"I just went visual on this goofy looking Finn riding on a gnu,
 wielding one pissed off penguin... gah"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leon Garde)
Subject: Re: Cirrus 5424 @ 16bpp?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,nf.comp.linux
Date: 26 Jan 1999 16:42:23 -0800

Bandyopadhyay Rajarshi Dipak ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In article <7872e4$4ah$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John David Bowden wrote:

: It has enough Video RAM (1meg) to go up to 800x600@16bit, which is how I'd
: like to run it.  But according to the X docs, it says if I have a Cirrus
: 5424 in an ISA slot, and more than 16megs of system RAM, I can't run the
: card higher than 8bit.

That is not quite what the XFree86 docs say.

They  actually say  ...
"If you have a 542x/543x on the ISA bus, and you have 16Mb or more of system
memory, linear addressing is impossible. 16bpp is out, sorry. If you have
less than 14Mb of memory, you may be able to map the framebuffer at 14Mb,
using `MemBase 0x00e00000'. That's five zeros after the `e'.
Unfortunately many ISA cards don't support linear addressing."

This is in my oponion quite correct.

It says you CANT get it to work.
there are no work arounds.

If you go back to  8 or 4 megabytes it might just work.

Otherwise you need to get a different video card .

leon