From: "Michael Lee Yohe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How can we stop the permanently hard disk access under linux
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 01:58:09 -0600

>I have tried several linux since there but don't pass to have a hard
>drive that could be noiseless.
>I tried hdparm but could only stop it a few second and after 5 second my
>hard disk began to be woked up.
>How should i proceed to fix this problem

Do you know what is accessing the hard drive?

Check your dmesg log (type "dmesg") and see if it contains a bunch of errors
or diagnostic messages about the controller itself.

* Michael Lee Yohe                                   Office:      TH N318 *
* UAH ASPIRE System Administrator                    Office: 256-890-6904 *
* UAH CS Assistant Administrator                       Home: 256-828-2667 *
* Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]        Web: http://www.aspire.cs.uah.edu/mlyohe *

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Matrox MII AGP
Date: 1 Mar 1999 08:09:51 GMT

        You must upgrade to version 3.3.3.1, which isn't yet on any of the
standard releases.  RH 5.2 has 3.3.2, and on their ssite, even they say you
should get the net version, 'cause it fixes some security bugs too.

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 21:04:45 -0500, "Jason Lodice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm installing RedHat 5.1, using a Matrox Millenium II AGP Vid card.  For
>whatever reason Xconfigurator does not create a proper XF86Config file.
>
>So I used xf86config.  Created file, went through fine.  Ran startx script.
>Turns out Xwindows will only run in 320x480 or something weird like
>that...it is kicking down to the default drivers and display modes.  When I
...snip...

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
fight spam everywhere!!!

                The irony is that Bill Gates claims to making a
                         stable operating system and
             Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.

                 Linux; The Official OS of the New Millennium

                          http://www.linuxlink.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: TEKRAM DC310 SCSI card and linux
Date: 1 Mar 1999 08:09:54 GMT

        Tekram didn't claim to support Linux when I got mine, and probably still
doesn't officially, but they did have Linux drivers for their products on their
ftp/web server.  I think that they don't want you to bother their tech support
with Linux questions, because they don't know anymore than you do/will on the
other OS's.  I even had a rough time getting help from their tech sup. when I
was trying to run OS/2, and they claimed to support it, but nobody in their tech
support dept had much of any real OS/2 experience, and they were just reading
the same docs that I already had access to (and had read)

From: Peter Baars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on RS/6000?
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 19:47:32 +0100

==============AD922A5E7E7C790B4B4016B0

Hi there. I am fairly new to Linux and I have now two servers running on
two intel PII's. As we have two RS/6000 machines and we do not really
know what to do with it, I was wondering if Linux will run on these
machines. I know, they come with AIX and that will be about the same as
Linux, but why make things complex by running Linux and AIX?

Peter Baars

==============AD922A5E7E7C790B4B4016B0

begin:vcard
n:Baars;Peter
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.knoware.nl/users/pbaars
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1
fn:Peter Baars
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J. P.)
Subject: Re: Zoom modem and Linux
Date: 28 Feb 1999 10:52:27 -0800

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 17:23:00 GMT, Jonathan D. Oman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Michael,  Can you tell me the AT command you use with the Model 2949?  Also,
>if you could let me know how your /etc/ppp/options file, and the chat script
>are set up, it would help me a lot!

Since there are two kinds of Model 2949s, one with Rockwell, the other
with Lucent chip set, you may need different modem commands for each.
The worst part is that these modems don't come with a very detailed
documentation, especially as to the AT commands set they use.
Fortunately though, you may get it for the Rockwell chipset model from
the Rockwell WEB site as a PDF document.  Unfortunately, most 2949s I've
seen are made with Lucent chip set.

Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Anybody have experience with Acer products
Date: 1 Mar 1999 08:09:50 GMT

        Hello.  Please do all of us (and you) a favor and disable the "Rich Text
Format" aka HTML for purposes of posting to the newsgroups, you will have many
folks ignoring your posts if you don't.

        On the subject of Acer products,  It is very (read:  VERY) important
that you find out EXACTLY what hardware is in that box, as Acer is the same
company as Aopen, and while they can have some good hardware, they also have a
great deal of proprietary hardware, and windows-only peripherals, like software
controlled modems, sound cards, network cards,  and the like.

        If the price seems too good to be true, then either get a guarantee from
your vendor that the hardware is Linux compatible or returnable (A good idea
anyway), or have them pre-install it.  It is possible to get a low-cost system
to run Linux, and low cost doesn't neccesarily mean low tech, but most pre-built
systems on the shelf are going to be using the popular equipment packaged
hardware/software, and any cost-cutting in the hardware that the general Windoze
crowd won't notice is fair game to raise the profit margin.  (That's where
winmodems and Unified Memory architecture/AGP came), and some of those concepts
just won't translate to some other platforms other than windows9x+, because the
vendors know they can make many $$s by targeting that market segment, and anyone
outside of that for most large-scale vendors just doesn't represent a large
enough potential market for them to consider it worth their development costs.

        You don't supply enough info on this machine to say yet.  Acer is not
necessarily bad, (though I've returned more Acer products for Linux
incompatibility) and AMD K6-II 350 is an excellent choice for a Linux or win
box.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Modem Mystery?
Date: 1 Mar 1999 08:09:56 GMT

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 14:08:42 -0500, "Lawrence S. Lee" <llee1*SPAMSPAM*@idt.net>
wrote:

...snip...

>Ohhh, mother of all miracles, I've found an appropriate thread for my
>problems!! I, too, suffer from the "ungodly-slow-modem-response" problem with
>a Diamond Supra 288i -> 336i flash upgrade. I'm already using COM1 and COM2
>for other serial ports so I had configured my modem (Red Hat 5.2) as
>/dev/ttyS2 at IRQ5, port 0x03e8 (and UART 16550A via setserial). I get the
>same exact "minicom dials, but response is painfully slow" issue.
>
>Now, to ask a really lame question... can you clarify "disable the onboard
>port that the internal modem is occupying?" As in, check the BIOS and make
>sure it isn't being used by a comm port somewhere? Or is it something else?
>
>thanks,
>larry

        You don't give much other info...  Please clarify with a complete list
of your hardware setup.  If as you say, you are already using your other serial
ports, then you can't disable the onboard ports without disabling whatever
you're using them for.  If one of them is a serial mouse, then I'd suggest
getting a PS/2 mouse if your hardware will support it.  This will move the mouse
to IRQ 12, and free up the need to use one of your onboard ports, and
alternatively, if you have a PS/2 port enabled in bios, and are not using it,
then disable it to free up an interupt.
        Next question.  Do you have and are you using a Soundblaster compatible
sound card?  They default to IRQ 5, though the PnP ones may be able to be
reconfigured to some other one, and last but not least...  Do you have a printer
(or 2) plugged in to the machine?  LPT 1 defaults to IRQ 7, and LPT 2 defaults
to IRQ 5, which is why Creative Labs could get away with using that for sound
cards, since most people don't have more than 1 printer...

        These questions that most ask could all be answered much better and with
much less bother on the part of the people answering or trying to, if they would
only include a complete hardware list of what is installed/connected with their
questions.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Small pump for liquid cooling...
Date: 1 Mar 1999 08:09:53 GMT

        Not sure why you would need/want to have the speed varied, but if this
is for a CPU watercooling project, then an aquarium pump would seem ideal?  They
are designed for continuous use, and can be remotely mounted--assuming that
you'e not trying to do this on a portable machine???, and they are cheap.  The
water inlet and outlet tubes can't much more bother than all of the other
necessary cable connections already present?

        I tend toward air cooling, myself, and have installed AC auxilliary fans
in most of my machines, and just sitting here and listening to the background
noise level, which isn't too bad, It seems to be about the same noise level as
most of the aquarium pumps I've heard.

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 16:52:27 -0800
From: Jayasuthan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't mount vfat (FAT32) partition under 2.2.1

Hi,

I didn't use code page at all but yet can mount vfat drive... check you
"cat /proc/filesystems" see if vfat exits. and put a plain /etc/fstab to
mount vfat drive without options....

best luck

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Ha!
> >
> > I figured it out.  Just in case anyone runs across this message and made a
> similar error, here's
> > what it was:
> >
> > When I compiled 2.2.1 I made a mistake in selecting the character set to be
> used in interpreting
> > the filenames under fat/vfat.  I selected the first option (Codepage 437(?)
> US/Canada) in
> > menuconfig, rather than the ISO Latin 1 character set way down below.
>
> Hi David,
>
> I've been having the *exact* same problem as you.
> Thanks for figuring it out and sharing the solution.
>
> Question:
> Given than I'm using the ( Red Hat 5.2 / Linux-Mandrake 5.3(2.2.1) )
> distribution(s) rather than compiling it myself -
> What character set do I choose in the installation process?
> ( I previously chose "US" and it caused the problem. )
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nekoboh

#include <linux/geek.h>
<----|
        I run around LAN for 10 Hours....
                                Surf WAN for 4 hours and........
                                         play on localhost for 3 hours !
Is this mean I am qualify to become a GEEK !
                                                                                |---->

"The sky looks blue but it is not"
---> Don't see things and believe <-----

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 16:55:01 -0800
From: Jayasuthan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Banshee under X

Please do a search on www.altavista.com there is a page where you can
download driver for banshee

--
#include <linux/geek.h>
<----|

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 17:03:12 -0800
From: Jayasuthan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: filter for hp directjet

Hi,

can anyone send me a good hp laserjet scripts pls.. I have one butfonts
is small... I am using ghostscripts...

--
#include <linux/geek.h>
<----|

From: "Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mouseconfig
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 22:56:41 -0000

Hi Jatin,
    Not sure if this is your problem, but you say you have selected to
"emulate 3 buttons" with a 3 button mouse, try disabling this option.
"emulate 3 buttons" is meant to be used with a 2 button mouse, you emulate
the third button by pressing both buttons together.  This emulation could be
interfering with the working of the driver.

    Hope this helps,
            Martin

------------------------------

From: "Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Looking for a global supported hardware doc
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 08:13:11 -0000

Hi,
    try looking under at ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/ in
pub/Linux/doc/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO, this document contains details of most
hardware supported by Linux.  If you are considering buying hardware not
listed in this document, post to the comp.os.linux.hardware newsgroup to see
if anyone has managed to get the hardware to operate.

    Martin

<7b1228$i9m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Stan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: installing linux on iomega jaz
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 00:55:40 -0800

Would this work on a Sparq drive also: 1.0Gig Paralle external ??

------------------------------

From: "Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: *HELP*  Cirrus Logic 5465 AGP // RedHat 5.2... *HELP*
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 22:48:32 -0000

Hi,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>x-windows not working.  upon install, there is an option for the 5464,
>but no 5465...  should i just choose it instead?

Yes, try that one, it will work, but may not use the latest features of the
graphics chip.

>also, my problem may be the monitor?  it is an Aamazing CM8486-TX
>(14").  in Windoze it will run any CM* driver and has good resolution
>at:
>640x480/60Hz
>800x600/56Hz
>1024x768/60Hz

Sorry, don't know anything about this monitor.  Usually, I have found the
settings in the XF86config file to work fiarly well.  Look in
/etc/X11/XF86config, as you got through the file, you will find some lines
with comments before them describing the modes which are being configured.
Try uncommenting just the lines for the resolutions your monitor supports.

>when i have gotten x-windows to load, it always has an oversized
>desktop, or crashes as soon as i open anything graphic-intensive.

Assuming your file is setup as normal, the settings you have sound like the
effect of the virtual desktop which allows you to have a desktop of an
higher resolution than the screen resolution.  If this is the case, also in
the XF86config file, you will find a line near the end which describes the
modes available something like this :-

    Modes     "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"

This line describea the modes to be used by the server.  The mode to the
left is the mode which will be used when the server first starts up, so I
suggest you make that the resolution you use the most.  The other modes can
be accessed by pressing the CTRL ALT and + keys at the same time.  Below
this will be a line which says something like :-

    Virtual    1600 1200

The numbers may vary, but they represent the size of the virtual screen.
Make these the same as the highest resolution you use.

NB. if the virtual settings are lower than the screen resolution, that
resolution will be disabled.  eg. if you used the line :-

    Virtual 800x600

and had the settings configured as in the example above, the 1024x768 mode
would be disabled.

A man page is available which gives further information on the settings used
by the X server, at the command prompt, type :-

    man XF86config

        Hope this helps
                Martin

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Crowley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 5.2 and Matrox
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:07:17 -0000

you need to visit this site download the XFree86 version 3.3.3.1 with server
for matrox G200 card, the server you need is "SVGA", download the rpm`s and
install them that way.

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/rh52-errata-general.html#XFree86

 with the the version of XFree86 you have, you will be
able to run Xwindows using the VGA16 server installed from your red hat CD,
if you get this server running you could use "glint" to install the
downloaded packages.

Andrew.

From: "Inger Karin Haarbye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3 com - Xjack
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 10:23:37 +0100

I am looking for a lan pc-card for my laptop. I've got a linux network with
coax.
3com has got cards with this XJack, but I'm a little bit confused:
This XJack - can I use both coax and TP on it, or do I have to buy a
ordinary "combo" pc-card?

Inger