  Re: Microsoft Elite keyboard (Blake Sobiloff)

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.sound,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Help with soundcard in redhat 5.2
Date: 03 Jan 1999 14:33:18 -0500

"Billy Bob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> When I try to install my sound card I am getting an error message
> saying unable to ... /dev/audio    I  was told that I need to enable to
> AUDIO and DSP support.  How do I go about doing that???
> I had this sound card working fine but quit working when I upgraded my PC
> with a different hard drive, motherbord and new CPU. Since then the card has
> not worked.  I did a clean install. I did not have any problems with the old
> one.. what could be wrong now.  This setup was perviously using win98 and
> worked fine...

try re-running sndconfig.

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.0pre3    i586 | at public servers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DG)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but
am stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 17:53:34 GMT

PAY ME $300 FIRST !!!

------------------------------

From: Fx Fraipont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: i740 video card 8mb agp in 256 colours?
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 21:32:42 +0100

==============629B00418F15115B015D7598

I have a 8mb A-Trend agp video card; after installing linux, I could
only get it to work in vga 16.
Then I installed the XBF_i740 server succesfully, and it now works, but
I still can only get a 8bit display (256c in 1024x728). I have tried
just about everything. Any ideas?
Thanks
==============629B00418F15115B015D7598

begin:vcard
n:Fraipont;François-xavier
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
fn:François-xavier Fraipont
end:vcard

From: "x" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux viruses
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 14:22:00 -0800

is it possible to get a virus protector for linux?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Horst Eyermann)
Subject: Re: Slow Printing With Optra EP
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 17:31:32 +0100

well, that really get´s on my nerves, I think all of them
ask you to contact your operating system vendor, but hey
would you / they trust M$ to write a driver for your
brand new ... printer ???? - I doubt that!
I would be glad, if all of you do just the same as me,
and tell them (lexmark, epson, hp, ....) just that,
as I did, perhaps it helps a little to make them think,
(it´s unlikely, I know)

Horst

--
==================================
Horst Eyermann

Check: http://home.t-online.de/home/eyermann
       http://www.online.de/home/Eyermann

Date: $d
Time: $t

delete the NOSPAM part in my email adress for correct delivery !

==================================

------------------------------

From: "Richard F. Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: please help, 2 Linux boxes 1 runs 1 don't ???
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 17:55:14 -0500

I worked on this for 3 days and CAN NOT get my other box up to run X
???    :-(
Here is the deal, I am trying to install S.u.S.E. Linux 5.3 on a system
as fallow,
Specs - Supermicro, Dual Pentium II P6DBE Motherboard 100MHz PC 100 RAM
Running - 2* Pentium II 400MHz CPU's - Diamond FirePort 40 SCSI host
Adpt.
Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM
Hard disks are, 1 - 4.3 GB, 2 - 4.3 GB, 3 - 6.4 GB All Western Digital
for Video - Diamond Viper 330 ( 8 MB vRAM ) PCI
======================
So, here's the problem, I can install fine, everything goes fine - no
Errors as of yet...
I then run "xf86config" and the try to start X, the X Server starts and
the "vwm" WM
so I go to change to "vfwm2".... then that is where everything goes
wrong,
I look at the error, it is - << Fatal server error, cannot start
vfwm2... restarting vwm >>
also I get , Broken pipe, call for vfwm2 unsuccessful...
the I get some type of error code, that's as far as I get... I check all

my packets, everything
is there for a X Windows system, and no errors installing them... I had
this same setup on an AMD K6 300 MHz and NO TROUBLE AT ALL, the only
thing different is the bored and
CPU's -- even if I reinstall I get the same error, by the way I AM
installing Linux on my
3rd IDE hard drive the 6.4 GB one, that means it is my Secondary
Master.. is that Ok

Sorry for the long post, please help...,
Rich

From: Kenny Keslar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PS/2 Mouse Problem
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 06:27:00 +0900

The device is /dev/psaux
as root type:
rm /dev/mouse
ln -s /dev/psaux /dev/mouse

You might have to change some settings... but I'm not sure of which ones..

Kenny

blizzard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need help using my mouse in Linux.  On my old Pentium 100 machine I
> had a serial mouse connected to a serial port or com1.  When I set up
> Linux, I set up the device to point to /dev/cua0 (for com1).  This
> worked - I was able to get into Linux and use X windows and the mouse
> worked.
>
> I've since upgraded to a Pentium II 350 with a BX6 motherboard.  I have
> connected up a PS/2 mouse and it works fine in windows 98.  It is on IRQ
> 12.  However, when I go into Linux and into X windows - the mouse
> doesn't move.  It is not connected to com1 (IRQ3) anymore.
>
> So is that the problem???   How do I get Linux to work with a PS/2 mouse
> on IRQ12???  I guess I have to assign the /dev/mouse device to some
> other /dev!!!
>
> Could someone please help???
>
> Thanks!!!!!!

 Kenny Keslar
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 http://www.kfk2.com
 2214965 On ICQ
John 3:16
          For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only
Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal
life.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hao Zhang (Richard))
Subject: Newbie sound card and printer question.
Date: 3 Jan 99 21:11:40 GMT

Hi. I just installed Redhat 5.1. My computer is a Dell Dimension
R350. The sound card is Turtle Beach Montego A3D 64 Voice PCI.
When I did the installation, the sound card was not detected.
I tried all I could find, but nothing worked. There is absolutely
no sound at all. Can anyone help me?

Also, I have got a Samsung Quick Laser 85G printer. I realize that
this is quite possibly a Windows only printer. Is there any
work-around to get it to work? I would be satisfied to print ASCII
files only. Thanks.

Please send me emails.

--
Richard.

------------------------------

From: Blake Sobiloff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.win95.setup
Subject: Re: Microsoft Elite keyboard
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 18:05:47 -0500

K R Davies wrote:

> I recently bought a Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard (Hobson's choice at the
> time) and it has worked out rather well typing wise. The problem is, it
> seems to slow down my computer at certain times, usually during heavy disk
> access. The NUMLOCK light flashes off briefly and (unrelated) the ALPHALOCK
> light (and indeed the key) only works when it feels like it. This slow down
> is consistent enough for me to know that the keyboards the problem, swapping
> it for another solves the problem every time.

The first Natural Elite keyboard I bought was DOA with some keys not
working (Enter, space, and a few letters). The second one works fine.
You might have a bum keyboard.

Also, when having problems hooking it up to my laptop, Microsoft tech
support claimed that the Elite is a power hog and that it won't work off
the serial ports of some computers because the port can't supply enough
power. Are you running off a laptop? This might make sense w/ your
report that the problems occur mostly when your hard disk is active;
maybe the power drain from driving the hard disk is dropping the
available power system-wide, thus causing your keyboard problems.

(BTW, Microsoft's suggested solution was to return my Elite and try to
find one of the original Naturals that don't require as much power. Feh.
Turned out that the serial port on my IBM came from the factory disabled
and I had to use IBM's ThinkPad configuration tool to re-enable it in
the BIOS.)

--
Blake Sobiloff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Higher Education Consulting