  MS-LINUX ("TURBO1010")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Installing RedHat 5.2 on a Gateway 2000
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 02:49:38 GMT

I have a Gateway 2000 (PII/233MHz, 8.3G HDD, 32MB RAM) which I want to
rid of the Windoze 95 that it came preinstalled with.  It's the standard
box that came with all the Gateway stuff that they bundle in it - no new
or changed components.

I want to install RedHat 5.2 on it, but I hear RHL installations frequently
tend to screw themselves up badly on proprietary systems.  Some of the things
I've heard are pretty serious         - the BIOS doesn't let LILO get loaded,
basically thinking it's a         virus!        - various components -
including the large 8.3G disk - are either         not supported, or if
supported are not correctly recognized by          Linux correctly.      - X
doesn't work (locks up/hangs the machine)   - the stupid little wheel mouse
(isn't it a PS/2 device) driver is        screwed up. I think these
limitations are pretty severe.  Has anyone out there experienced something
similar?  Has anyone - anyone at all - installed Linux (specifically RHL) on
a Gateway 2000 G series machine (I think that's what this one is; I'm not
sure)?  What were the problems faced?  What are the precautions to take?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

--
U.V. Ravindra

From: "David Lloyd-Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:20:19 -0500

<d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)> wrote >
> That's not correct. There are just a few million receptors in your
> eyes,

As against say 768X1024 (is it?) = 3/4ths of a meg pixels on the screen.

>                but the resolution is highly concentrated in the center of
your
> field of vision.  Eye motion creates the experience of a large area of
> high resolution.

Even if you didn't do-the-pigeon, your concentrated area sitting still would
be bored by a normal screen.

> But you're right about lots of big monitors being cool.

Here we agree.

FWIW, I was asked to be keynote speaker of the National Students Association
Annual Conference a few years ago, and I did it with 24 Carousel projectors,
six movie projectors and about five horsepower of backup sound, with a 50' x
150' screen wrapped around the audience. Nobody complained about being
assaulted, so I take that as being a first approximation of normal
information intake. :-)

             -dlj.

------------------------------

From: "Charles R. Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 23:19:42 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <7dv9eq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Jan Johansson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >Heck, I started on a ZX81 with 1K of memory and a 3MHz Z80 (or was it
> > >slower...?)
> >
> > 3MHz Crystal, but only 1MHz Sysclock.
>
> Hang on there a minute... 3MHz Xtal, but only a 1MHz Sysclock?
>
> Could you explain further what you mean by that? Because to me, that makes no
> sense, and I've been programming the Z80 for about 18 years now.
>
> Simon (NSFMSFT)

I don't recall which the Timex used, but there were (are) lots of cheap
3mhz crystals available from the TV industry. It is a simple matter to
either use a subharmonic or a divide-by-3 counter to get the system
clocks. It is much simpler to start with a high frequency source and use
counters to get quadature phases required on some systems.

That little Timex was the Palm Pilot of its day.

--
Russ Lyttle, PE
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Adaptec AHA-2940U2W
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 01:51:22 GMT

Hello.

I posted something wrt to the AHA-2940u2W to comp.os.linux.setup a while
ago.Since I didn't get any feedback, I take the opportunity to repost
and hope someone will shed some light...

Note that contrary to the poster, I had no problen installing RH5.2:
the scsi card was properly detected.

My hardware:

Pentium II 400MHz
ASUS P2B motherboard
IBM 4.5GB ULTRA2(LVD) SCSI disk
Yamaha-4416S CR-RW, (SCSI)
SCSI card Adaptec AHA-2940U2W

The only bios thing I've done is to disable wide negociation
on the CDRW and reduced the maximum transfer rate from 80 to 10MBs.

>From dmesg:

(scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra2 SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 10/0
(scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSI ID=7, 32/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 407 instructions downloaded
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.10/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra2 SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: IBM       Model: DDRS-34560D       Rev: DC1B
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
(scsi0:0:1:0) Synchronous at 80.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: YAMAHA    Model: CRW4416S          Rev: 1.0b
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
(scsi0:0:3:0) Synchronous at 6.67 Mbyte/sec, offset 31.
  Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-ROM CDU-8012   Rev: 3.1a
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST11200N          Rev: 9300
Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
(scsi0:0:5:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
scsi : detected 2 SCSI cdroms 2 SCSI disks total.
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 16x/16x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

I had all sort of problem with RH5.2 and kernel 2.0.36.
Scsi reset galore.
The version of aic7xxx driver was 5.1.2 or something around
if memory serves me right. I eliminated all possible problems coming
from termination, cables, and external devices. No cigar.
I then upgraded to 2.2.3 and lo and behold *almost* everything fell
in place. The card was correctly detected. No boot command line options
are passed to the kernel ("aic7xxx=blah"). The aic7xxxx version is 5.1.10.

There is only one *very* annoying problem now and it's with mkisofs-1.12b5.
Whenever I try to make a iso image of a few hundred megs from the CDRW
to a disk I still get bus resets or read errors. Typically, it will
go thru 99% of the way, and fail on the last file.
But I can copy and burn audio cd's with cdda2wav, cdrecord or cdrdao.
Not a single miss.

I'm not sure if the problem is with mkisofs (I have tried 1.12b4 also: same
thing) or if it just a manifestation of another deeper problem, like the
cdrom driver itself or ext2 fs. Or maybe related to tag queuing?

Any hint on this?

TIA,
jf

In comp.os.linux.hardware BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: upgrade to 5.2 redhat or build your own kernel from 2.0.36.
:
:
:
: Matt Hucker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: : I have just installed Redhat 5.0, 2.0.32 Linux kernel, but it won't
: : detect my AHA2940U2W scsi card.
:
: : Does anyone have any advice on how I can set this up under Linux?
:
: : Thanks,
:
: : Matt
:

--
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
                                                       - Phillip K. Dick

------------------------------

From: "Witman Peng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Re: Linux on SBC?
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:23:28 +0800

Is it possible to read this article online?

BR,
Witman Peng

------------------------------

From: "Jonathan D. Kramer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hauppauge WinTV
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 22:10:47 -0500

I just got a few steps closer to solving my problem here is the next
stumbling block:  I figured out how to get the kernel stuff to compile.
I downloaded the bttv driver and followed the instructions for my TV
card when I do a make I get tuns of stuff on the screen and then get :

bttv.c:4015 too few arguments to function
'pcibios_read_config_dword_R9c25afd5' make integer from pointer without
a cast
bttv.c:4015 too few arguments to function
'pcibios_read_config_dword_R9c25afd5'
bttv.c4017 too few arguments to function
'pcibios_write_config_dword_R755c3eec
make[3]: *** [bttv.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory 'programs/ktv/files/bttv/driver'
make[2]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[2]: leaving directory  '/usr/src/linux-2.0.36'
make[1]:*** [here] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/programa/ktv/files/bttv/driver'
make: *** [bttv] Error 2

Any help would be kind...................................... Thaks

------------------------------

Subject: Best Linux Web Cam to Buy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (keg)
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 23:29:26 GMT

I am looking to buy a web cam to be used for uploading pictures to my web page.
 My PC run's Linux and I want to upload a live web cam image to my Web Page on
my ISP's system.  Any Recommendations?   Thanks

------------------------------

From: "Dan M. Johnson (LinuxBox1)(bagzman)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Re: MS-LINUX
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 19:24:04 -0800

What the bloody?!  Heh, tell Linus that I'm sticking with RedHat

-Dan-

------------------------------

From: "mikeytan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trident 9750 AGP problem
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 08:59:24 +0800

Hi,

I'm new to Linux, and I hope someone
can please help me.  I'm using version 5.2
but I've not been able to install my
display card and monitor.

My display card is Trident 9750, AGP
version 6.45 - 3D Image or
I can use an Intel 740, OEM.

My monitor is  a 15" MAG d510 (quite new model)
and my DVD-CD ROM is a Sony ddu220E
which runs DVD5X and the cd runs at 25X, and
works in conjunction with a Real Magic dvd decoder
which loops video with the display card.

I managed to setup Linux 5.2 but 'cos
I'm using SVGA card setting, I'm not able to use
X Windows.

I do hope you'all can help me.

Thank you,
Michael Tan

------------------------------

From: Patrick Finnegan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Xircom PCMCIA Modem
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 20:14:20 -0600

I recieved a Xircom CreditCard Modem 56T with my new Gateway 2000
Solo2500 notebook. When card services starts up, it recognises it as
memory, which it tells me that it cannot map! Is there a fix for it; I'm
using Slackware 3.5 with kernel 2.0.34, soon to be upgraded to 2.0.36.

Pat Finnegan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>