From: "John Doe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Load ethernet driver???
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 16:19:02 GMT

I am new to linux and I recently got a cable modem but my network card, a
netgear FA310TX, is not working correctly. It came with drivers for it. The
instructions were basicly to compile the driver then copy the object file to
a certain location. Add some text to /etc/modules.conf and then reboot. I
did all of this with no difficulty but then after rebooting, as instructed,
the driver did not load durring the boot time. I was unable to ping any
computer on the network. Does anyone have any advice or help for me? If you
need more information tell me and I can find it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: Load ethernet driver???
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 16:39:16 GMT

On Sun, 21 May 2000 16:19:02 GMT, John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am new to linux and I recently got a cable modem but my network card, a
>netgear FA310TX, is not working correctly. It came with drivers for it. The
>instructions were basicly to compile the driver then copy the object file to
>a certain location. Add some text to /etc/modules.conf and then reboot. I
>did all of this with no difficulty but then after rebooting, as instructed,
>the driver did not load durring the boot time. I was unable to ping any
>computer on the network. Does anyone have any advice or help for me? If you
>need more information tell me and I can find it.

What are error messages during boot? You might try

 modprobe -v <module_name>

and see what errors that shows. It is probably always a good idea to
retrace your steps and make sure everything went according to plan. For
instance, you might have more than one /lib/modules tree, and make sure
it is in the right place. You might also try turning off PnP in BIOS.

--
Hal B

From: Bill Hudacek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: D-Link DMF560TX on Thinkpad 600e & hard lock-up
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 12:52:23 -0400

Subject says it all.  There's an internal modem in this laptop,
statserial shows dcd etc 'up', but can't access it (device in use,
though lsof & fuser show no processes using it); /proc shows no ioport,
irq 4 'auto-assigned' by/to serial_cs.  Bye-bye internal modem! Just
ignoring it.

So, I picked up a d-link dmf560tx pcmcia multifunction card, as it's
listed on the linux pcmcia supported cards list... :|

...after pc_net_cs module is loaded, serial_cs module is loading when
the box locks up hard.  Reset required.  But, at least twice, if I boot
without the card inserted, the network *has* come up.  That's how I
think I'm sure that it's a serial problem here :-)

eth0 using ioport 0x300, irq 4 (specifying alt io/irq in
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts causes no change in ioport but irq will switch
to 3, still locks up).

I've checked lots of on-line resources, d-link mfr site, can't "diagnose
it" because now can't get the card to come up at all.

Any ideas? As with so many things, serial works great when it works, and
I haven't had to debug a problem of this kind up to now.

TIA.

--

Bill Hudacek (Lockergnome MVG)
IBM Global Services

My Echelon Triggers:
Security, Warfare, Terrorism, Defense, National Information
Infrastructure, Reno, Compsec, Passwords, Espionage, USDOJ, NSA, CIA,
Counterterrorism, spies, eavesdropping, interception, 2600 Magazine,
top secret, Mossad, 50BMG, Cypherpunks, Nuclear, counterintelligence,
fraud, assassin, virus, anarchy, rogue, mailbomb, BATF, OSS, Bill of
Rights, Freedom of thought, Unalienable rights, Big Brother, Privacy,
Repressive government, McCarthyism letterbomb carbomb detonator ANFO
fuse altimeter Hillary PGP

"These opinions and statements are my own, not those of my employer."

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to setup a private firewall system?
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 20:30:56 +0200

Gerhard Schneider wrote:
> What do I think I'd need to know?

You should read the Linux "IP Masquerade mini HOWTO".

> - what networking hardware do I need?

You will need:

Two network cards with TP-connections and a crossed TP-cable.

or

Two network cards with TP-connections and a hub or switch and two normal
TP-cables. Then you will be able to add more machines to your network.

or

Two network cards with BNC connectors, two terminators, two T-connectors
and one coaxial cable. This is an older technology which is easy to
expand without the need of any hub. However, you can't have any speed
higher than 10 Mb/s with such a network.

You will find more info in the Ethernet-Howto.

> - how do I configure both machines?

It is described in the Masquerade mini HOWTO.

> - what "specialities" shall I be aware of?

It's all in the Howtos.

> Are there any resources in the web that might help me on?

The Linux Documentation Project is a good place to start. However, the
Howtos are probably included in your distribution.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost

From: Robert Redelmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hdparm
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 12:08:21 -0500

dsc wrote:

> I've noticed that - why isn't DMA turned on by default?  Until I found
> hdparm, here I was thinking Linux disk transfers were slowwww (and
> they were; DMA was always turned off on every single one of my ABit
> BX-series motherboards).

Probably as a fail-safe loading mechanism, and to avoid extra
BIOS code to handle the old/slow PIO disk case.

The thinking is the OS will enable DMA if it wants to.  Linux
will automatically too, if you compile it into the kernel.
Otherwise, `hdparm` does the job.

-- Robert   author `cpuburn`  http://users.ev1.net/~redelm

------------------------------

From: Smitty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Scanner recommendation
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 13:19:47 -0400

I request some recommendations for a color or black and white scanner
that is compatible with RedHat Linux
6.1.  I am looking for a 600x600 dpi. or better resolution unit.
Smitty

------------------------------

From: "mphm.janssen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scanner recommendation
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 19:43:49 +0200

I use a UMAX Astra 1220S with ncr53c820 based SCSI card.
Works fine for me with SANE.

See also their list : http://www.mostang.com/sane/

Marcel Janssen

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tired of spam!
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 14:41:41 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Never use your main e-mail when you surf the newsgroups: You might get spammed.
> I receive at least 10 unsollicited e-mails a day! Do you?
>
> To address this issue, You might want to check this out:
>
> http://clicks.firstname.com/showfree.hmx?siteid=641041676&BAN=1
>
> Sincerely,
>
> James
>
> P.S. If you know about a software that could help me filter my e-mail (by keywords,
>subject, etc.)
> could you please let me know?

Uhhmmm, this sure smells like a piece of newsgroup spam. It seems to
have only shown up in every newgroup where "Hot off the press!! Britney
nude!!!" has.

I ain't clickin' on _that_ http!

--
Mark Bratcher
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Yves Cornet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to regocnize my seond ethernetcard ?
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 21:02:46 -0700

There is a utility to change the hardware settings of this network card. It
should be provided with the card. If it's not ( or you just dont' have the
disk anymore ), it can be downloaded directly from realtek
 www.realtek.com.tw ). With the utility you should also be able to see the
current hardware settings.

I think the utility is called rset8019
 ftp://210.192.0.122/lancard/drivers/8019/rset8019.exe ). The whole OEM
diskette with drivers and utility can be downloaded here
ftp://210.192.0.122/lancard/drivers/8019/oem8019.exe

Hope this helps

news:8g39dp$gq2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: John Carew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel Update-How to
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 14:36:15 -0500

Hello,
I have corel linux and I want to know how I can update my kernel to
2.2.14 and add new hardware drivers that corel has announced in their
new release of corel linux. Thank you for your help.
--
John CAREW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Jim Morrissey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: SB AWE32 sound only partially working...
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 19:41:25 GMT

I'm running RH 6.0 using a soundblaster AWE32 card. I can hear the wav
sounds through the speakers, but when I try to play a music CD no sound
comes through. When I configured using sndconfig...all was well. Any
ideas?

Thanks,

        -Jim

------------------------------

From: "Randal Powell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HPT366 UDMA4 Last patch
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 12:41:51 -0800

In article <8g8cc4$d20$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Blue" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
stated:
> I've tried different configurations to fit  to my HPT366, but when I put
> the option "blk_dev_hpt3366" in the kernel, my computer doesn't
> recognise my Hard disk on the ide2 and stops.
>
> Is it possible that it doesn't work only with my hardware (Abit BE6,
> Quantum Fireball KA) ? Or should it work with any ?
>
> Blue
>
> Abit BE6 (HPT366 Bios 1.21) Quantum Fireball KA 9.1 Go Kernel 2.2.15 &
> ide.20000509.patch

I have exactly this motherboard. I use an Adaptec 2940uw card with a
Quantum 4.5 gig Viking hard drive so I don't have the problem directly.
But I've been trying to get linux to see an atapi cdrom connected to the
ide4 port on the motherboard without luck. The drive works fine in
Windows98, but linux can't see it.

-  Randy Powell - ICQ:61280419
        "Reality is just a convenient level of complexity"
                        Steven Lassiter

------------------------------

From: Channing Walton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DIVA USB
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 20:06:16 +0000

Have a look at http://www.linux-usb.org/ - they might have some info for
you there

Chang

--
Channing Walton
Phone: 01483 799 491

------------------------------

From: "Phreeb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: corel linux hardware problems...
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 16:01:35 -0400

First off, I managed to get my USRobotics 56k running under Corel Linux w/
isapnp. I have it set to com3 and irq5. Dialup detects it fine, it dials
to my ISP, but then disconnects me w/ an error "pppd daemon died
unexpectedly". Any ideas?
My second problem has to do w/ getting my soundblaster sound card working.
sndconfig gives me an error that it can't find any PCI devices. In
the /etc/isapnp.gone file (I think it was there from installation) it says
my sound card is IRQ 10, DMA 1 and 5, but that info is commented out. Not
sure what to do w/ that information anyway.
My next problem has to do w/ configuring my printer. Its a HP Deskjet
722C. I think I set it up right (is lp0 comparable to lpt1?), but whenever
I try running lpr, I get an error "lpr: connect: Connection refused; jobs
queued, but cannot start daemon." Any help would be much appreciated.
My last problem is just plain goofy- how the heck can I move the window
for Corel File Manager if the title bar is off the top of the screen?

Thanks,
phreeb

------------------------------

From: "Leon Zandman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Driver for Tulip NCC32 Network card
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 20:16:28 GMT

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to get an old Tulip NCC32 network adapter running
with LINUX. Does anybody know if there is a LINUX driver for it? I use
the latest kernel, but that one has no support for it.

Greetz,

Leon Zandman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 20:17:15 GMT

On Sun, 21 May 2000 12:41:51 -0800, Randal Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have exactly this motherboard. I use an Adaptec 2940uw card with a
>Quantum 4.5 gig Viking hard drive so I don't have the problem directly.
>But I've been trying to get linux to see an atapi cdrom connected to the
>ide4 port on the motherboard without luck. The drive works fine in
>Windows98, but linux can't see it.

I have this in lilo.conf:

 append="ide2=0xcc00,0xd002 hde=cdrom"

No patch or anything and works well (ide numbering starting at 0). This
is the first HPT366 UDMA66 port. Use lspci -v to get port info, and for
details see:

 http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Ultra-DMA.html

--
Hal B

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Henri Fallon)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: SB AWE32 sound only partially working...
Date: 21 May 2000 20:29:21 GMT

On Sun, 21 May 2000 19:41:25 GMT, Jim Morrissey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm running RH 6.0 using a soundblaster AWE32 card. I can hear the wav
>sounds through the speakers, but when I try to play a music CD no sound
>comes through. When I configured using sndconfig...all was well. Any
>ideas?

Is there a wire between your cdrom drive and your sound card ?

--
henri

------------------------------

From: "Ed Bras" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 22:32:08 +0200

Thanks yves,

I used the utlity but when it starts, it says: "Can't open com 4" and then
you can ignore or terminate the utility. When I then choose ignore, it says
it can't founc any active lan board on the system, and its terminates,
whereas I have two NICs working well ??

You have any explanation for this ?
And if I have this settings can I then use the ne module so that it works
under linux ?

Regards,
Ed Bras

news:8g9bqf$m7e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...