From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Install linux on VAIO PCG-C1XN without a CDROM?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 06:32:25 -0900

Derek Colley wrote:

> I've got a desktop dual booting with W98 and RH6.0. I also have a VAIO
> PCG-C1XN (the little one with the camera) that came pre-configured [used
> in a broadest sense of the word] with a 4.3 Mb C: drive and a 2.2Mb D:
> drive - perfect for a dual boot with W98 and Linux methinks...
>
> But, I don't have a USB CDROM and booting from bootnet.img does not
> recognise the 3com network card in the type2 slot - I have a cd drive in
> my desktop I thought I could use. The installation howto mentions an
> 'old' way of installing linux, by downloading f iles to a number of
> floppies etc. but there is very little by way of instructions.
>
> As far as I can tell, I need to get to a stage where I can connect to
> teh CD on the desktop - I am already able to network the two machines
> using Windows, so I don't think the hardware will cause any problems...
>
> As I already have the Redhat 5.1 and 6.0 distributions on CD, can a
> create the required floppies with what I've got?
> Has anyone done this lately? Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Many thanks,
> Derek
Carefully reread the installation how-to.  You are using a pcmcia nic,
you have to load pcmcia support in order for this to work, and I am
about 95% sure the 3com is supported.  You will be using two floppy's,
bootnet.img and pcmcia.img.  The network install in your case is
definetely the way to go.  The easiest way to do this is to nfs export
your cdrom, and this is the only way I could get a network install to go
with RH 6.0.  You can also use the ftp method, I have add a lot of luck
with this and Slackware, but not RH.  If you decide you have to install
from floppy's, get Slackware.  The Slack CD can be use to create a bare
set of install floppy's to get a basic system and and networking going.
--
Windows:  A 32 bit shell for a 16 bit operating system, originally
written for

------------------------------

From: "John Lucas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 96Mb = 64Mb RAM???
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 05:21:57 -0800

Will FREE show you how much memory is seen by Linux?

"Victor A. Grinberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
: Marcelo Muzilli wrote:
: >
: > Try this,
: >
: > alter your /etc/lilo.conf for:
: >     append="mem=96M"
: >
: > Regards,
: >
: > Muzilli
: >
: > trevorjf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
: > > I have 96 Mb ram, but Linux only recognises 64Mb. Win 95 uses all
96Mb,
: > > so its installed OK, how can I get Linux to play with the rest?
: > >
:
: And why is it that I have to do this??  Kernel docs say it's because the
: BIOS doesn't report the size >64M.  Well, windoze found it, so how come
: linux can't?
:   -vg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: New driver for 3COM Winmodem
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 13:46:14 GMT

In article <FBsv4.3244$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark) wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Kenn Madsen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I found on Dell's support page a Linux driver for the 3COM 56K
> >PCI Winmodem.
> >
> >I tried to install the driver, but my modem is still not
> >working. Anyone tried that driver and succeded.
>
> Please post the URL.
>
> Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Here is the URL:

http://support.dell.com/us/en/filelib/download/index.asp?fileid=2669

There are two models of the 3com winmodem, one ISA and one PCI.
I have unfortunately the ISA version. That might be the same for you Kenn.

Göran Lundberg, Sweden

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Brian Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATX Power in suppend mode
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:01:00 GMT

I'm sure there is a way..   but there may not be a way that doesn't
require any soldering..  :)
if your motherboard has jumpers on it for fans (processor fans, cpu fans,
etc) they usually have one up near the power supply..  if you make a
jumper that runs from your power supply fan (be carefull of the
capacators when working inside the powersupply, they can still shock you
if the computer is off sometimes) then that MAY do what you want
(probably should test it with a meter first before doing all that work
though)..   if that wont do it then I'm afraid it's out of my ability to
help, but I'm sure there's a way to do it if you want to work hard enough
at it..  :)
have fun..
-Brian

------------------------------

From: FV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD and LINUX
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:02:44 GMT

LOIC B wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Everywhere  I see linux I can see Intel but never AMD and
> I would like to know if it is possible to use linux without
> problem with an AMD processor and if yes wich type of linux
> could you recomand to me.

Linux runs better on AMD. But the name "Intel" is used like "IBM PC".

------------------------------

From: Kenn Madsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 05:53:04 -0800

Hi,

Here's the URL

http://support.dell.com/us/en/filelib/download/index.asp?
fileid=2669

And here is some File info, which I admit actually doesn't say
Winmoden

File Title: RedHat Linux 6.1 3Com 56K V.90 PCI modem driver
[Linux/ Version 1.0.2.i386]

-Kenn

From: Pete Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ALSA and midi - problems
Date: 02 Mar 2000 14:17:27 +0000

Hi

Basically, since getting the ALSA 0.5.3 drivers, libs and utils up, my
old programs which use /dev/music and /dev/sequencer2 have stopped
working. Note that I have a *separate midi card* with DB50XG daughter
board on it, so I want ALSA to drive my SB16 for audio, and whatever
is needed to allow the DB50XG to work. Everything on the audio side
appears to work fine including oss support (I can use the GNOME gmix
mixer for example).

Is this an ALSA problem (installing ALSA seemed to create a whole new
set of devices in /dev/ which no longer work with KeyKit, Jazz or
playmidi - playmidi says "open /dev/sequencer: Device not
configured") or a linux kernel problem ?

Is it possible to get ALSA for sound and the mpu401 kernel module for
midi to work together ?  Loading the ALSA drivers seems to load ALSA
sequencer stuff, even though I'm assuming that I need the linux kernel
midi stuff instead (so that keykit, playmidi and jazz will continue to
work).

I appear to have lost support for my midi cards. I have a
MIDIedge 1x1 midi card with a Yamaha DB50XG daughter board on it. My
soundcard is a SoundBlaster 16. Previously, keykit worked fine, but
now I get:

    Unable to open /dev/midi00 (errno=19)

Also, the jazz sequencer used to work fine, but now I get:

  /dev/sequencer2 or /dev/music: No such device or address
  /dev/sequencer2 or /dev/music: No such device or address
  /dev/music: No such device or address
  Jazz will start with no play/record ability

Has the ALSA snddevices knackered my devices ?  Or have I totally
missed the plot ? Why have I got snd-mpu401-uart loaded when I have
(to my limited understanding of the ALSA drivers) disabled it with the
snd_mpu_port=-1 (see conf files at end) ?  I tried compiling with and
without sequencer support, but it made no difference

Any help greatly appreciated.

Pete Phillips

My conf.modules file has the following entry:

## MIDI DB50XG
  alias midi mpu401
  options mpu401 io=0x336 irq=7
## ALSA sound modules
# ISA PnP support
#options isapnp isapnp_reserve_irq=9,10,11,12,13
#ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-sb16
options snd-card-sb16 snd_index=0 snd_id="SB16" \
        snd_port=0x220 snd_irq=5 snd_dma8=1 snd_dma16=5 \
        snd_isapnp=0 snd_mpu_port=-1

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
# OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
# OSS/Free portion - card #0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
#alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
#alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

but clearly the midi card at IRQ 7  hasn't loaded because

             cat /proc/interrupts

gives me
           CPU0
  0:    1988959          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      17250          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:          0          XT-PIC  Sound Blaster 16
  8:          2          XT-PIC  rtc
 12:     156582          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:     620776          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:     193804          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

However, lsmod gives me:

Module                  Size  Used by
snd-pcm-oss            18192   0  (autoclean)
snd-pcm-plugin         12968   0  (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-mixer-oss           3988   1  (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
mpu401                 18480   0  (unused)
snd-card-sb16           4664   1
isapnp                 25660   0  [snd-card-sb16]
snd-mpu401-uart         2488   0  [snd-card-sb16]
snd-rawmidi            11352   0  [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-opl3                2340   0  [snd-card-sb16]
snd-sb16-csp           16500   0  [snd-card-sb16]
snd-sb16-dsp           17352   0  [snd-card-sb16 snd-sb16-csp]
snd-pcm                34712   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm-plugin snd-sb16-dsp]
snd-mixer              29360   0  [snd-mixer-oss snd-sb16-csp snd-sb16-dsp]
snd-hwdep               3308   0  [snd-opl3 snd-sb16-csp]
snd-seq-midi-event      2412   0
snd-seq                41588   0  [snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-timer              10048   0  [snd-opl3 snd-pcm snd-seq]
snd-seq-device          3368   0  [snd-rawmidi snd-seq]
snd                    40428   1  [snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm-plugin snd-mixer-oss
snd-card-sb16 snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-opl3 snd-sb16-csp snd-sb16-dsp snd-pcm
snd-mixer snd-hwdep snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-timer snd-seq-device]
sound                  57240   0  [mpu401]
soundlow                 300   0  [sound]
soundcore               2372   5  [snd sound]
autofs                  8996   1  (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1           2020   2  (autoclean)
nls_cp437               3548   2  (autoclean)
vfat                    9180   2  (autoclean)
fat                    30432   2  (autoclean) [vfat]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Linux sucks
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:26:57 GMT

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 17:37:40 GMT, the Evil [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(JEDIDIAH) screamed:

>>>     I don't really care about the source. I view it primarily
>>>     as a means to an end, a tool with which market balance can
>>>     be restored. As long as products are perfectly replacable
>>>     source isn't that valuable.
>>
>>The attitude of a 'consumer'.
>
>       Yup. There tend to be a lot of us littering free markets.

You really believe the hype, don't you?

>       Free Software is not like the Bill of Rights. It's a useful
>       means to and end but not really necessary in the presense of
>       a healthy market and mature software engineering. It's more
>       a bandaid that covers up other problem.

What healthy market?
Open Source, free, collaborative, peer-judged software is not only
_superior_ to the 'market-driven' crap -- it IS the future (but of
course, not if the WTO 'free' market types get their way...)

>       ...any BSDers that are lurking about can deal with you now...

Ya. You've put ME in my place, fersure.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: LILO + HD 13 Gb
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:20:18 GMT

> Make a small /boot partition (3MB should be enough), where you put all
> LILO needs.
> (i.e. Kernel(s), System.map, chain.b, boot.b ...)
>
> The paritioning of the rest doesn't matter than.
>
> Andreas

What does the lilo.conf script look like for the this?
I have a small boot partition up front ("/boot" on /dev/hdd1) and the
main root partition ("/" on /dev/hdd8) up high.  I wanted to put LILO
on my main disk MBR (/dev/hda)but lilo can't find anything.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: SoftOSS: Only some channels play
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:31:38 GMT

I wrote:

>> I've been toying with the SoftOSS support in the standard Linux kernel
>> (version 2.2.13 for the moment) and I'm having problems with it.
>> Specifically, only about half the channels appear to play. For instance, a
>> given MIDI file might use an acoustic piano, a flute, and a french horn,
>> but only the french horn part plays

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Steffen Jost" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi Rod!
>
> I had nearly the same problem with my Opti mad16 pro (opti 82C929 chipset),
> it played midi-files only on one channel, the left one I think, both under
> windows and under linux. I tried several things to get it to work, but
> nothing helped.
> Maybe the chipset is flaky there, and it´s something you have to live
> with....

You misunderstand. It's not a channel as in a speaker that's failing; it's
that some MIDI instruments play and some don't. I have no problem with
digital audio files (.wav, .au, etc.). The problems occur only with
SoftOSS, and only for about half the instruments in any given file (on
which speaker they play is irrelevant).

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: "Marius" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win Linux 2000 and Monitor won't play nice
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 16:37:56 +0200

mmm

"Out Of Range" sounds like your refresh rate is too high. Since you had to
power off the box manually without using the shutdown -h command from linux
there is bound to be errors detected on the hard disk.

Umfortunately i do not know the winlinux distro at all. Look in the manuals
(if any) for something on monitor refresh rate.

------------------------------

From: "Xenofon S. Motsenigos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ghostcript 'hl7x0' driver
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:42:51 +0000

Hello,
    I have been trying to make my Brother HL-820 printer work under
linux.  Unfortunately, it is one of these GDI printers that appear to
only work with windows.  However, after some searching on the net, I
have found out that there is a driver for Ghostscript that supports my
printer.  This ghostscript driver is 'hl7x0', but it is not included in
the standard ghostcript distribution (neither in the GNU nor in the
latest Alladin version (version 6.0 that is)) because it is a user
distributed driver.
    I would appreciate it if anyone could help me locate this driver
since for all my efforts I have been unable to obtain it so far.
    Thank you  in advance for your help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.install
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:39:42 GMT

On Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:27:34 GMT, the Evil Derek Martin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> screamed:

>> > Most of the people that I have run into that bashes Microsoft are people
>> > that are quite frankly jealous of what Bill Gates has accomplished.  I will
>> > concede that he stole someone else's idea and made it better (for lack of a
>> > better phrase).  But correct me if I am wrong but isnt that the American
>> > Way.  If you are familiar with history take a look at Henry Ford's biography
>> > sometime. He did the same thing but he is considered to be one of the
>> > greatest innovators of our country.
>
>Now that's just silly.  Either that or the people you've run into that
>bash Microsoft are just silly.  I bash Microsoft heartily, but it's out
>of no such jealousy.  It's because they sell crufty software that is
>inherently broken, and crashes all the time; that they have management
>types duped into thinking that this is acceptable, and *I* have to
>support it.  They write software that breaks current Internet standards,
>and expect the rest of the world to interoperate with THEM, and get away
>with it because they have a near-monopoly. In short, they are callous,
>arrogant, and produce shoddy products that LOOK nice, but fall apart
>under normal usage.

Here, here.

Business is all political, and thus full of lies.
MS is 'successful' only because Bill Gates is a slimemold who packaged
a CPM ripoff for IBM, when that company was desperate for something
like MS-DOS. He got his foot in the door for a world standard and
built it up into an empire with feet of clay...

The point is, the world needs a standard -- and we are in the process
of handing that title over to an OS which DESERVES it.

Fuck Microsoft. I will never eveen LOOK at Win2000.

>> > One last thing,  "Lay off of Bill Gates"  If you were in his position you
>> > would be doing the same thing.  Grabbing as much power and money as you
>> > possibly could.  I'll be honest,  I know I would if I was in his shoes..
>
>You're wrong there.  Some of us aren't consumed by greed

And some are near hopelessly brainwashed.
No wonder control of mass media is so strategically vital -- look at
all the free foot soldiers they produce...
;>

> Shame on you, and on Bill Gates, for not being among
>them.  That's the problem with the world today, and why our society is
>embroiled in so much turmoil: lack of ethics, morality, integrity, and
>concern for anyone besides one's self.  That is exactly the cause of all
>the gang warfare and shootings in schools, and other crimes too numerous
>to count.  I'll be surprised if our civilization lasts another hundred
>years.  It's exactly the sort of thing that contributed to the fall of
>the Roman Empire.

The problem is capitalism -- which will not exist in 100 years.

grok.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: HP Vectra VL5 and LINUX
From: Esben Haabendal Soerensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:46:45 GMT

Bart> Has anyone had experience in putting some version or other of
Bart> LINUX on a HP Vectra VL5/166?  I have a chance to by such a PC
Bart> for cheap and wanted to use it learn LINUX.

Bart> On a related note, does anyone know of a good web site that
Bart> lists PCs that are good/bad with LINUX?

Go to

http://hp-linux.cern.ch/support/centp.php3

/bart
--
caffeine low .... brain halted

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Drivers for VIA 8400 video chipset
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:46:57 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        MK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I have a system with a PC Chips M585LMR system board with a VIA 8400
> PCI/AGP graphics chip set on board (Windows detects it as a Trident
> 8400).  I have installed Red Hat 6.1 on the system,.

I can't be sure, but I suspect you've got a system with a VIA MVP-4
motherboard chipset. This chipset includes Trident Blade3D video
functionality and (VIA proprietary?) sound support. If so, you can update
your version of XFree86 to get it to work. IIRC, it's XFree86 3.3.4 or
later that you need. I'm positive that 3.3.6 works, since that's what I'm
using on my notebook with this chipset. The relevant drivers are in the
XF86_SVGA server. If you want to read about how I got it working, and see
the XFree86 file I used, check my web page:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/presario/

> P.S. If anyone has a line of drivers for the other on-board devices
> (LAN, Sound, Modem), I'd appreciate that as well.

My web page includes information on the sound features of the MVP-4
chipset, so that may be relevant to you, as well. If the modem is a
software modem, check http://www.linmodems.org/ for more information on
many models. Some are now supported, although sometimes only by
binary-only kernel modules.

--

Subject: Re: HP 9200i CD-RW supported?
From: Esben Haabendal Soerensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:48:40 GMT

Pascal> Hi there,

Pascal> I was thinking of buying one of HP's 9200i internal SCSI
Pascal> 8x/4x/32x CD-ROM writers. Anyone have any experience with
Pascal> those under Linux?

It is running like a charm here :)

You can find more info on HP CD-RW drives and Linux at
http://hp-linux.cern.ch/support/devcd.php3

/bart
--
caffeine low .... brain halted

------------------------------

Subject: Re: CD-RW HP 7510E parallalel port
From: Esben Haabendal Soerensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:52:04 GMT

>writes:

Francisco> There is any problem with this model in linux?  Tanks in
Francisco> advance

I am having trouble buring in dual speed, but it is fine in single
speed.  It is using a lot of CPU power even in single speed, and I am
suspecting some problems with the par-ide layer in the kernel I used
at that time (2.2.12-20 from RH6.1).

Also check out this URL for more on HP burners and Linux:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: CD-ROM DOS Formatted Mount on Linux
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:58:10 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Meir Levi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I am downloading Linux files (Adobe Reader, etc.) with my Windows 95
> system onto CD-RW burner, which is FAT32 formatted. This CD does not
> "mount" on my Linux system, that is, Linux can not read from FAT32 CD.
> Any suggestions please how to overcome this.

It's highly unlikely that the CD uses any variety of FAT. AFAIK, there are
two likely possibilities:

1) ISO-9660 Level 3 -- Some companies have used this, or variants of it,
   for read/write access to CD-Rs and CD-RWs. If you'r lucky, it'll be
   readable in Linux. If not, it won't. The only thing you could do to
   improve the odds in Linux would be to finalize the CD so it can't be
   written to any more.
2) UDF -- This is a new filesystem used on read/write CDs and DVDs.
   There's support for it in the 2.3.x development kernels. I don't know
   if there's a backport to 2.2.x kernels. I also don't know how well it
   works.

It's possible that you're running into filesystem problems. It's also
possible that the media are simply incompatible. If this is a CD-RW disc,
be aware that many CD-ROM and CD-R drives can't read CD-RW discs, so if
you're trying to read a CD-RW disc on a CD-ROM or CD-R drive, that could
be the problem.

A better solution all around is to use a standard CD-R/CD-RW burning
program, like Nero (http://www.ahead.de) or Adaptec EZ CD Creator
(http://www.adaptec.com) to create standard ISO-9660 Level 1 or Level 2
CDs, possibly with Joliet extensions. If necessary, you should be able to
leave these discs unfinalized, so that you can add sessions later for more
files and read it OK in Linux (probably -- a few drives seem to have
problems with multi-session discs in Linux). If you're using CD-RW, either
confirm that a standard finalized CD-RW is readable in Linux first or
check that your reading drive is certified as "MultiRead compatible."

Yet another solution, if these machines are within a few hundred feet of
one another, is to network them. You can then just drag and drop the files
from Windows, or mount the Windows partition in Linux and transfer the
files or use them directly. There are various HOWTOs on this subject, or
you can buy a book like my _Linux: Networking for Your Office_
(http://www.rodsbooks.com/network/) to help you along this path. Total
networking hardware cost for two machines should be well under $100, and
probably $50 or so, if you don't buy extravagantly expensive hardware.