From: Sandhitsu R Das <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any modem drivers for CONEXANT HCF v90 56K Data Fax PCI Modem
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 15:10:09 -0400

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Mun Sing wrote:

Look up linmodems.org and see if you can find something here. Otherwise, I
am afraid no pro. can help you. Winmodems are *not* modems.

--
Life's about freedom - so is Linux.

Sandhitsu Ranjan Das                      Voice: 215-222-1295(R)
Graduate Student, Bioengineering                 215-898-0822(O)
University of Pennsylvania               e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
snail mail:3320 Smith Walk, 120 Hayden Hall, Philadelphia, PA 19104

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kirk McElhearn)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: hdc: lost interrupt (ATA drive)
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 21:22:27 +0200

I have the same problem.  Nothing works.  The only solution is to remove
the Zip drive, it wouldn't even start up for me with a cartridge in  it.
Even Mandrake tech support has not been able to find a solution.

Kirk

------------------------------

From: Georg Michel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Floppy Read/Write
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 21:42:44 +0200

Hi Folks,

Could anybody give me a hint on this promlem: I have a floppy disk where
the sector number in the header of a certain sector in a certain
cylinder is wrong. However, the program which reads this disk wants to
have it that way (I guess in order to inhibit copying). Nevertheless I
would like to have a copy in case the disk wears out.

Now, how can I copy a disk including the header information without a
read error on this sector and with the wrong header info on the copy?

Thanks
Georg

------------------------------

From: Trygve Selmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dell P1690 24" monitor
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 20:58:40 +0200

Dimitri Papadopoulos wrote:

> xf86config doesn't work any better. It doesn't have provision for 1920x1600
> and is therefore as useless as XConfigurator...
>
> I don't think it offers more than XConfigurator, and the UI is cumbersome.
> The program is also too difficult to use. How to get back when you've
> typed something wrong? I'd also appreciate typing memory sizes in Mb instead
> of Kb. 32Mb is easy to type, 32768 Kb is neither easy to type, nor easy to
> remember.
>
> I really need the Modlines. Or maybe there is some combination of
> buttons on the monitor that will switch it from 4:3 to 16:10?
>
> Dimitri

Try the XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO, it should come with your Linux
distro.

------------------------------

From: Billy Foss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: zip: lost interrupt (was Re: Problems booting on AGP G4)
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 19:46:58 GMT

Note: I am cross posting to comp.os.linux.powerpc and
comp.os.linux.hardware, because I noticed powerpc and x86 users are
having problems booting the 2.2.14+ kernel when the zip drive does not
contain a disk.

Problem:
When using 2.2.14 or higher? the Partition Check gives
hdd: lost interrupt
lost interrupt

where hdd is the zip drive.

This problem goes away if there is a zip disk in the drive at boot
time.  Powerpc users have also solved the problem by reverting back to
a previous ROM/OS version.  As an x86 user (Dell Optiplex GX1), the
problem appeared when I upgraded to RedHat 6.2 (2.2.14)  It was not
present in RH 6.1 (2.2.12).  2.2.15 is also reported to have this
problem.

I am guessing the kernel is the problem, because that is the only
common part between powerpc and x86 users, right?  The fact that
earlier versions worked also point to the kernel.

Just thought we could combine efforts and determine where the problem
lies.

Thanks,
Billy

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Floppy Read/Write
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 13:32:49 -0700

Hi Georg,

try to use
put floppy which you like copy in drive

    dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/tmp/diskimage

replace floppy with onther one and use

    dd if=/tmp/diskimage of=/dev/fd0

it should works but may be need change blocksize in command

NOTE: it will do sector to sector copy not logical as cp command

Andrey

------------------------------

From: "Greg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux.slakware,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.best,alt.os.linux.caldera,alt.os.linux.corel,alt.os.linux.madrake,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,apana.lists.os.linux.redhat,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux,co
Subject: HP 8100 CDRW help
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 04:36:15 +0800

Is anyone running the above cdrom.

I cant for the life of me access it under Linux..

Has anyone been successfull

Please tap back

Thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: support for color printers?!
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 13:41:18 -0700

check here

http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi

Andrey

------------------------------

From: D G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Visualize FX6 Video Card
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 13:40:28 -0700

Kouros Owzar wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am thinking about buying a used HP Kayak Workstation.
>
> I am primarily concerned about the compatibility of its
> graphics card (HP FX6 with 18MB SGRAM).
>
> Is this card supported by any version of Linux? Mandrake
> and Redhat do not seem to support it.
>
> If you have any info, I would be very appreciative if
> you could send it to me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yes, there will eventually be support for the HP FX series on Linux,
maybe as soon as the end of 2000.  Most likely it will be directed at
RedHat releases.  For now, I would recommend buying a Linux supported
video card instead.  The card HP recommends is the ELSA Synergy II.

If you don't want to buy a new card, the FX6 has a piggyback Cirrus
Logic video card with 1MB RAM.  It's enough to get by with until either
HP releases the drivers or you buy another video card.  I get 1024x768 @
8bpp on mine.  Or you can get 800x600 @ 16bpp with it.

You didn't mention which Kayak you're looking at, but HP sells and
supports SMP Linux Kayak Workstations at:

http://www.hp.com/visualize/

[I run RedHat Linux 6.1 on my (Kayak) Visualize P500 with FX6 video card
and everything works great (except I'm waiting for the FX drivers for
the video card).  It's a powerful machine (comes with the price tag
too!)  I would have wanted a Linux Visualize, but my employer didn't
give me that choice.]

--
DG
e-mail is: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Marcel Pol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MPC CDrom under linux
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 22:54:19 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have an older Tandy Computer the has Multimedia PC (MPC) CDrom.
> The RedHat install does not recognise it. I was wondering if
> anyone has had this problem before and if they solved it.
> NOTE: I am a Linux NEWBIE not a Computer newbie so don't assume that
>       I know things.

Might be interesting to find out what model it is.
I had a Philips cm206 CDROM, which was ATAPI/IDE, but not an ordinary
one.
It was not just connected to the IDE port, but to the soundcard.
Such CDROM's are called proprietary CDROM's.
You need additional kernel support for it.

If you find out what model it is, and if it is sucha CDROM, than you
should read some documentation which module is needed and you can load
it with the command (as root):  insmod cm206
Or whatever module you need.
Chances are that you need to specify some parameters.

I'm using SuSE, not Redhat.
With SuSE the file /etc/modules.conf is rather preconfigured.
It has several lines about these CDROM's.
Most lines have a # sign as first character.
You can remove that # sign, in the line with the needed kernelmodule,
and if all goes well it should be loaded, when you need it.

Hope this is the answer you need.

******************           __   _
/   Marcel Pol   /          / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
/                /         / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /
/  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /        /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\
******************
SuSE 6.3  Kernel 2.2.13
Don't visit http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/marcelpol

This sig is stolen.
But it was released under GNU, wasn't it?

------------------------------

From: Marcel Pol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: epson perfection 1200 usb with linux
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 22:56:45 +0200

Benjamin Dietze wrote:

> hi,
> i have a big problem, using my scanner
> (epson perfection 1200 photo with usb) under linux.

Could be a good idea to post this question to the mailinglist of Sane at
http://www.mostang.com/sane

******************           __   _
/   Marcel Pol   /          / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
/                /         / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /
/  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /        /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\
******************

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: webgear wireless & redhat 6.2 problem
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 21:04:12 GMT

>From my recollection, the Linux OpenSource driver installs by default
with translation set opposite the way the windows drivers work. Look in
the options file the /etc/pcmcia/config.opts (or ray_cs.opts) to fix
the problem.

From: Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: isapnp Snd Blaster Problems
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 21:53:33 +0100

I am having problems with pnp (it would seem)

I have a soundblaster 16 PCI which was set up with sndconfig just fine.  Well,
almost....it detected it as an Ensoniq card and it worked well using those
settings.

I want to run KVoiceControl to use voice detection but it does not detect any
audio in from the microphone (even though I know it works).  I thought maybe
this might be due to the setup being for an ensoniq card.

I ran Lothar hardware config tool (comes with Mandrake) and promptly tried to
setup my sound card.  It detected the card correctly but when attempting to
play a test file I get the error:

/etc/isapnp.conf:18 -- Fatal - Error occured executing request 'ISOLATE
PRESERVE' --- further action aborted.

This message also ensues on each boot of the computer.

I tried playing with PNP configuration once before but it's a pain
so can anyone help me?

btw I tried turning the PNP enabled on and off in the BIOS.

Regards,

tcannon(at)iname.com

------------------------------

From: "ludovic.lestrat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2 NIC Cards and IRQ
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 23:20:09 +0200

Hello everyone's

I'm trying to install a proxy server for my private use. My
configuration is an internet connection via cable-modem (dhcp-client), a
local network TCP/IP with 2 machines.

I've got a problem with my 2 ethernet cards. One is usefull for the
cable modem and the other one is connected to the hub of the local
network.
The interrupts are :
        - SCSI Advansys : 12
        - Realtek 8029  : 12
        - RealTek 8139  : 12
I know, of course it should procure problems, but the surprise is that
it works under Windows NT ?!
On linux, only one NIC at the time can work, and only the eth0. for the
second one, I receive a message when using ifconfig
:"...SIOCSFFLAGS...", that meen the IRQ is already used (Didn't it ?).
So, does someone knows how to modify the IRQ adress of one of my pci NIC
? Or does anyone knows another method ?

Thank's a lot
--
LESTRAT Consultant
Conseil, expertise, etude

37 rue Gay Lussac
37000  Tours
tel : 0(33)2.47.61.23.15
fax : 0(33)2.38.49.91.99

------------------------------

From: Jim Townsend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: HP 8100 CDRW help
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 16:21:59 -0500

Greg wrote:

> Is anyone running the above cdrom.
>
> I cant for the life of me access it under Linux..

Try http://rdb.linux-help.org/idescsi.php3  everything you need to get
your drive working is there...

./Jim

------------------------------

From: "Folkert Rienstra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: Int 13h Device Not Found, BIOS not installed
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 22:29:11 +0200

123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456*70 1234567*80*
3456789 123456789 123456789 1234*120*

This line sais that the window I am using to post is 70 wide
But because I am using 'Comic Sans MS' as a display font it is actually possible to
cram in more because it is a true type font (i'd say ~80).

"M. Buchenrieder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
| [Please note FollowUp-To: header]
|
| "Folkert Rienstra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
|
| >Michael,
|
| >What's the beef, I see almost perfect posts in this thread, the only
|
| I don't.
| :)
|
| >exceptions
| >being one or two unquoted linebreaks where text came from a HTML file.
|
| ...which is even worse, right.
|
| >Most crummy posts I see are from people who HAVE their line limit set at
| >say 72 chars per line (because they did not bother to change it or plain
|
| A fixed line length of roughly 72 chars will make sure that your lines
| will not be broken up into ugly pieces whenever somebody posts a
| followup and cites your message.

Yes they will. This newsgroup is full of post that suffered from that.
Explain to me the magic of 72. Did MS code OE the way that it messes up
messages when an other number than 72 is used?

This problem has been discussed may times and still IS about weekly in the
MS Outlook Express discussion groups. The solution is not to use the automatic
line breaks but provide your own or use Quoted Printable.

| >don't
| >know how to do it).
| >I have mine set at 132 (max)
|
| Urgh.

 Urgh? It only means that OE will put a linebreak in after 132 characters in the
event I forgot to put one in myself. No more, no less.

| >and provide my own line breaks (which is how it should
| >be anyway).
|
| OK, that's another way to do it, but then, why making it so complicated?
| Any real newsreader will do it correctly without manually having to add
| the line breaks.

Of course not. Any newsreader that automatically adds linebreaks will add
oneas soon as the limit is reached and quoting will see to it that it happens.
A good newsreader should adjust the line break, not just add one.
Better still, leave it alone, let auto wrap do the formatting.

| >Problem is that OE wraps automatically and I sometimes forget to check
|
| OE is the problem. It is not a newsreader.

Tell it to MicroSoft.

| >my post for missed linebreaks (like here) before
| >sending. However the only 'problem' that makes is that you get 1 full
| >and 2 half full lines.
|
| >Not nearly so annoying as those 1 line
| >1 word
| >posts that change to those 1 line
| >1 word
| >1 word
| >lines after a few quotes.
|
| Yeah, but that IS the reason for limiting the line length to a
| reasonable value that is not the maximum of what the screen width would
| allow.

That has nothing to do with screenwidth.

| And you can't predict on what kind of screen/system the reader
| will look at your posting - which is why common sense suggests using
| a 70 - 75 char. limit.

Which is what I use: ~80, so line breaks should be between 70 and 80.

| [...]
|
| >Posting in HTML has none of these problems but that seems to be
| >NOT DONE.
|
| Posting in HTML is a no-no, and will even get your messages junked by
| some servers automatically. Usenet doesn't consist out of sites that
| have Internet access and/or a graphical interface.
|
| >Posting using 'quoted printable' also does not suffer from those
| >annoying unexpected
|
| QP does nothing have to do with linebreaks at all. It is a way to
| encode / display 8-bit characters. Unfortunately, most of today's
| newsreaders still don't handle QP correctly at all, which is why I
| usually set the transfer-encoding to 8-bit when posting / mailing
| within Germany ( we use Umlauts that need to be encoded otherwise) .
|
| [...]
|
| >I'm using a little over half of my screen (20 inch), using a 12
| >point character size,
|
| [...]
|
| I'm looking at it on a 15" terminal monitor. So there.

So what? Little over half of 20 is? Do the math.
12 point is 12 point. What I see is what you see. Unless you are sight impaired
and are using 14 or higher? Or Use a 640*480 desktop?

I even went to 800*600 ugh! (1152*768 normally) and the posts still display
with space to spare in a full window.

------------------------------

From: C. C. McPherson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: LILO doesn't like my 10G hard drive
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 17:30:46 -0400

> Bill Unruh wrote:
> >
> > In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Neil Koozer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > ](3) Try the nuni boot loader (which I wrote:).  It avoids bios problems
> > ]by not using the bios.  It can boot from anyplace up to 137gb on any IDE
> > ]drive, including drives attached to add-on cards such as ata66 cards.
> > ]It can be downloaded from
> > ]ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/boot/loaders/
> >
> > Interesting. What is its downside? Why is it not the default loader in
> > Linux?
>
> It doesn't do scsi.  All scsi cards are different and the driver for
> each one is a bios patch in rom.  In principle, nuni could be done for
> scsi by doing a different version for every scsi card and let the
> installing utility sense which one to use.  However, the programming
> details for the scsi cards is not available.
>
> I didn't think that this was so bad because the vast majority of new
> users are probably using IDE, and power users who use scsi-only probably
> don't need the help.  I have 10 linux systems on my machine, most of
> which are on hde, which is a 17gb drive connected to an Ultra66 card.
> Two of them are on hdd, and on that one I set the bios to 'normal' after
> partitioning it in LBA.  The one I'm typing on right now is Slack 7.0 on
> hde11, which is up around cylinder 2000.  Lilo can only boot about two
> of these systems, and nuni boots them all.
>
> I tried to interest Slackware and Mandrake in this loader, but they were
> not interested.  I used the ploy: You can be the first to advertise
> "Ours boots above 1024".  I also pointed out that Linux claims to fix
> things immediately, and the "LI" and "L 01 01..." problems are more than
> 5 years old.  I also said, "What if Window would hang with "WI" instead
> of booting, and what if they didn't fix it for over 5 years?"
>
> > (And what does nuni stand for? Or for that matter what does lilo stand
> > for?)
>
> lilo stands for linux loader.  For my loader I wanted a pronounceable
> two-syllable name that doesn't start with 'g' or 'k'.  When I was born
> (1943), my brother could not pronounce 'neil', and what he came up with
> was 'nuni' (or 'noonie").  So that was my name until I was 5 years old.
> I just happend to think of that and adopted it as the name for my
> program.
>
> Neil.

You know that rings a bell, a couple of years ago someone
did a good job of patching lilo for >1024, and that patch
still isn't in lilo :-( Don't get me wrong, I like linux,
but some of the technology that is stuck in linux is soooo
old, like lilo. Just downloaded yours to try. Sorry for
barging in on this thread.

-Clyde

------------------------------

From: C. C. McPherson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: nVidia's Beta GL driver
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 17:35:58 -0400

> Hey fellas,
>
> I thought I would just post a few comments regarding nVidia's OpenGL
> drivers. I currently have a TNT2, and will purchase a GTS soon enough.
> Anyhow, I had tried the older XFree 3.x nVidia-stop-gap drivers, and
> although they worked, the performance wasn't quite up to scratch.
>
> In a nutshell, I was blown away by the speed of these drivers. I was
> expecting a slight increase, and soon found out that these drivers aren't
> too much slower than their Windows counterparts. @ 800x600, high geometry,
> 16 bit color, I get 37 FPS in Linux, compared to about 42 FPS in
> Windows2000. I have a dual 500 Mhz. setup, using the stock RH 6.2
> installation. I made a few modifications to the kernel, but nothing too
> severe.
>
> Anyhow, when you consider the fact that this is the first XF4 GL drivers,
> it's a real good sign of things to come.
>
> Scott

Are these drivers for all TNT2's (ultra's and non-ultra's)?
Did installing go pretty easy? Are these drivers at the
nVidia site?

-Clyde

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HP LaserJet 3150 Support ?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 21:49:00 GMT

HP is very good at the customer satisfaction part of support, but not so
good at the software upgrade part. Firmware/software revisions are
now and have allways been _very_ slow in coming from this company.

Be advise that if you have a state-of-the-art video card on your
computer, you'll probably *not* be able to print Landscape with this
printer. It's a bug in the firmware that HP acknowledges, but has no ETA
for correcting.

HP has agreed to purchase this unit back from me in consideration of the
above.

Cheers,

CK

In article <390eb3f6$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Michael Zill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is the HP LaserJet 3150 supported ? I've heard that some of the
> functionality of this printer lies in the MS Windows based drivers not
in
> the main unit. So I'm a little bit concerned if I can use it with
Linux just