Linux-Hardware Digest #835, Volume #12           Wed, 10 May 00 13:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  LINUX: PCMCIA and PCI for IEEE1394 (firewire) (Herve Mathieu)
  Re: Gefore 256
  Re: HP CDWriter+ 7200i (root)
  Re: How to configure sound card (julien mills)
  Cisco 605 PCI DSL modem ("Andy Boyce")
  Re: Abit BP6 stability (John Hagen)
  Re: System Doesn't Recognize USR 56k Modem (mike)
  Re: This flickering is giving me a headache! (James Tonsager)
  Re: Quick Script help! (Dallas Times)
  Re: HP CDWriter+ 7200i (Slawomir Siwek)
  Re: file splitting for cdr backup (Andreas Profitlich)
  Re: Netscape froze my machine - now bios doesn't see my hdd ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: can only see 31G of 40G hard drive (kevin metcalf)
  Re: ATA/66 accessed as ATA/33 ? (Michael Kelly)
  CD-RW disc causing cannot mount cd error. (Yns)
  Re: MUSTEK ScanExpress 12000SP plus (James Tappin)
  disk mirroring --- system image ("shahzad bhatti")
  Re: Linux printing question... (Bob Moore)
  Installing on a Dell GX300 (John Knox)
  Re: CD-RW disc causing cannot mount cd error. (aflinsch)
  Re: MUSTEK ScanExpress 12000SP plus (choi daniel)
  Re: This flickering is giving me a headache! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: inkjet printers and postscript ("Warren B. Hapke")
  Re: HP DAT tape drive (David Rose)
  Re: Canon BJC-240 ("Warren B. Hapke")
  Aureal + AMD = freeze in Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Herve Mathieu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.linux.portable
Subject: LINUX: PCMCIA and PCI for IEEE1394 (firewire)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 14:10:41 +0200

==============91B386FF1113BCF789A93448

I'm looking for cards (PCMCIA and PCI) with IEEE1394 (firewire) input
and linux driver.
I project to use these cards with SONY(IEEE 1394) camera.

Has anybody some addresses ?

Thanks in advance,

Hervé MATHIEU

--
 /~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\
 Hervé MATHIEU - INRIA-Rhône-Alpes - Moyens robotiques

==============91B386FF1113BCF789A93448

Hello,
<pre>--&nbsp;
&nbsp;/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\
&nbsp;Herv&eacute; MATHIEU - INRIA-Rh&ocirc;ne-Alpes - Moyens robotiques
&nbsp; 655 avenue de l'europe - ZIRST&nbsp; -&nbsp; 38330 Montbonnot
&nbsp;&nbsp; Tel&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 04 76 61 52 84 -&nbsp; Fax&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 04 76
61 52 12
&nbsp;&nbsp; Tel +33 4 76 61 52 84 -&nbsp; Fax +33 4 76 61 52 12
&nbsp; Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
&nbsp;<A
HREF="http://www.inrialpes.fr/iramr/people/hmathieu/">http://www.inrialpes.fr/iramr/people/hmathieu/</A>
&nbsp;~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

==============91B386FF1113BCF789A93448==

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gefore 256
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 22:50:45 +1000

You need the correct driver for XFree86 4.00. Nvidea has released one...

www.xfree86.org
www.nvidia.com

David Findlay

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (root)
Subject: Re: HP CDWriter+ 7200i
Date: 10 May 2000 12:44:30 GMT

I have the same problem here. If the standard scsi bus is removed from
the machine, the hp works okay. Thats how I got into the problem. I
bought the scsi card after I had implemented the ide-scsi. Its mostly
the apps that can't handle scsi hosts quite right I think.

I contacted a chap a [EMAIL PROTECTED] who replied with the following:

Whew, what a question. I guess there should be a way...
But please be patient - I'll try to resolve that problem for you as fast as
possible.

I promise to send you an answer within the next week.

That was april 29 and I am just in the midst of sending him another email.
Perhaps you can send him your question.

------------------------------

From: julien mills <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to configure sound card
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 08:57:27 -0400

Clayton Cheung wrote:

> The problem is I am really new, I tried a couple ways to exec sndconfig but
> nothing happens:
> i)double click on it
> ii)exec /sbin/sndconfig
> iii)cd /sbin
>         sndconfig
> ////////////
> Can you tell me exactly what I should do step by step?

I am not familiar with RH, so someone can correct me here,
but do the following.

1.  # su root        (it will ask for the password)
2.  # cd /sbin
3.  # ./sndconfig    (you need to put the ./ in front)

I believe this should run the script.

------------------------------

From: "Andy Boyce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cisco 605 PCI DSL modem
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 06:07:59 -0700

Im interested in getting my Cisco 605 PCI DSL modem running under linux, but
I have yet to see any drivers.  If you have any information on how to make
it work or why it wont please let me know.

TIA
Andrew Boyce

Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 06:19:40 -0700
From: John Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Abit BP6 stability

Dave Thompson wrote:

> Dave Thompson wrote:
> >
> > I too had many lockups with a dual celeron setup until I flashed the
> > latest bios.  An unattended machine runing seti would lockup every
> > couple of days -- that same machine, after the 'flash' has been up 15
> > days now.
> >
> > The same board in another pc, with only one celeron, is ultra stable --
> > it's been months since I had a lockup  (i.e. no lockup since I removed
> > the second celeron).  When I have reason to take that machine down (my
> > firewall), I'll flash the bios in that machine too.

So, is it reasonable to presume that flashing the BIOS on a BP6 board with
both processors installed fixes the lockup problem? Or does this just make
the problem less serious, without completely fixing it?

--
john hagen ~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=================================

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: System Doesn't Recognize USR 56k Modem
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:52:23 -0400

  Addendum to previous response about using COM2 and IRQ3
if it is not being used on the motherboard.
  I had an experience where I wanted to use my modem on
COM2 and found that it had conflicted with the one of the
serial ports on my mother board.
  Many motherboards come with two built in serial ports. COM1
is mostly used for the mouse. The other port, I believe can be
used as COM2 or 3 or 4. But if you are not using it for any
purpose, it can be disabled in the bios and thus not
create a conflict with you internal modem, which can then
use the same port assignment.

                                            Mike

------------------------------

From: James Tonsager <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: This flickering is giving me a headache!
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 14:04:07 GMT

What kind of monitor do you have? It is that that is causing the problem.
What kind of monitor did you select during setiup?

------------------------------

From: Dallas Times <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Quick Script help!
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:19:49 -0700

don't forget to chmod 755 the file after creating the script.

- Ken

------------------------------

From: Slawomir Siwek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 May 2000 14:21:07 GMT

root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> napisa³(a):

> I have the same problem here. If the standard scsi bus is removed from
> the machine, the hp works okay. Thats how I got into the problem. I
> bought the scsi card after I had implemented the ide-scsi. Its mostly
> the apps that can't handle scsi hosts quite right I think.

Did you check option scsi-generic ?
I had HP 7200i and it worked very well. And if I made mistakes in the kernel
configuration there were problems with this drive.

--
S³awomir Siwek.
Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne SA

------------------------------

From: Andreas Profitlich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.samba
Subject: Re: file splitting for cdr backup
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:31:02 +0200

Hey,

you are living in germany? Then just have a look inside one of the last
Ct's (8/2000). They've build the complete solution for your problem with
a few scripts.

cu
A. Profitlich

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Netscape froze my machine - now bios doesn't see my hdd
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 14:26:48 GMT

Hi,

I have Red Hat Linux 6.1 too. My Netscape browser usually freezes after
I have used it a couple of days or so... This haven't just happened
once
it does it all the time, and every time I have to "kill it".

Anyone knows what's wrong?

Simon Bæk Carstensen

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: kevin metcalf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can only see 31G of 40G hard drive
Date: 10 May 2000 11:21:24 EDT

check the faq, as far as I can tell, linux can't see more the 32 gb,
even in LBA.

------------------------------

From: Michael Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATA/66 accessed as ATA/33 ?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 11:13:12 -0400

On 9 May 2000 15:09:59 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bgeer)
wrote:

>I don't consider a kernel compile in 64M of ram a significant disk
>benchmark.  It does show me that, given how I use computers, ide
>vs. ATA-66 vs. scsi makes little difference.

If you are curious you might try running a bunch of apps in
XWindows and compiling and see what happens(like if you
are surfing the web at the same time for instance.)  You may
see more benefit in situations where you use the CPU cycles
that have been offloaded to the udma.  IOW, if you run some
benchmarks you might not see that much of a difference in
file transfer, but you should notice a big drop in CPU utilization
by using udma.  This leaves the CPU free to do other stuff.

OTOH, if all you do is run pico in text mode then you can probably
use a 16 MHZ 386 just as well. :)

Mike

--

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
    -- Groucho Marx

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:29:01 +0100
From: Yns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD-RW disc causing cannot mount cd error.

Here is my scenario:

-Installed downloaded version of RH6.2 at home (P75:48Mb RAM:2Gb HD:24x
NEC CDROM)

-Downloaded RPM's etc. from work (using windows).

-Copied files onto CD-WR disk using Joliet filesystem.

-Attempting to read data off cd at home on linux machine.
        "cannot mount cd"  problem.

I came accross http://trylinux.com/projects/udf but I don't think
it is relevant, even though it mentions that CD-RW, use UDF.

Any thoughts on how I can read the cd?

Your advice is very appreciated.

------------------------------

From: James Tappin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MUSTEK ScanExpress 12000SP plus
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:30:08 +0100

choi daniel wrote:
> Hi folks !
>
> Has anybody succeeded to make this #!%$*! scanner work with linux ?
> Any help is welcomed.

Works AOK for me. I think that the SCSI card that comes with the beast is a
non-starter though, however if you attach it to a proper SCSI card it works
fine. As I'm writing this from work I can't check up my resource files right
now.

I have occasionally known it to just "drop off" the bus, but not lately.

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |

From: "shahzad bhatti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: disk mirroring --- system image
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 10:48:07 -0500

Hi,
 I am swapping my disk drive on my linux redhat system. I want to copy
entire image of my system to new disk drive. I currently have two
partitions, first is swap and second is system
and user area. Can someone suggest best way to do this?
(I have about 3Gig space filled with system and user area)
Thanks in advance.
- Shahzad Bhatti

------------------------------

From: Bob Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux printing question...
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:12:44 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi, I have a Panasonic KXP-6100 and I am still trying to find a way of printing
under Linux.

I tried emulating Laserjet II etc. but no joy. Any ideas?

Bob Moore

------------------------------

From: John Knox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installing on a Dell GX300
Date: 10 May 2000 15:54:33 GMT

Has anyone done this successfully? -
I am thinking of buying one, but am
unsure of the support for the intel
820 chipset.  Dell linux support is
now contracted out to linuxcare, and
they want $$$ to answer questions.
        john

------------------------------

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-RW disc causing cannot mount cd error.
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 11:59:23 -0500

Yns wrote:

> Here is my scenario:
>
> -Installed downloaded version of RH6.2 at home (P75:48Mb RAM:2Gb HD:24x
> NEC CDROM)

Not a brand spanking new machine, but perfectly capable

> -Downloaded RPM's etc. from work (using windows).

Other than being forced to use windows, not a problem

> -Copied files onto CD-WR disk using Joliet filesystem.

Should be ok

> -Attempting to read data off cd at home on linux machine.
>         "cannot mount cd"  problem.

Some older cdroms just cannot read cdrw discs. Can you read any cdrw
disk in that drive?

> I came accross http://trylinux.com/projects/udf but I don't think
> it is relevant, even though it mentions that CD-RW, use UDF.

not relevant, since you did not use UDF to write the cd.

> Any thoughts on how I can read the cd?

If it's your cdrom drive, then your only option is to get another, or
try reburning the cdrw onto a cdr and see if that works.

------------------------------

From: choi daniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 15:16:40 +0000

James Tappin wrote:

> > Has anybody succeeded to make this #!%$*! scanner work with linux ?
> > Any help is welcomed.
>
> Works AOK for me. I think that the SCSI card that comes with the beast is a
> non-starter though, however if you attach it to a proper SCSI card it works
> fine. As I'm writing this from work I can't check up my resource files right
> now.
>
> I have occasionally known it to just "drop off" the bus, but not lately.

Can you tell me which version of sane you are using ?
actually I have an adaptec 2904 scsi card which work fine with a cd-writer,
the scanner and the cd-writer work fine under windows but my linux
box (Mandrake 7.0) doesn't recognize the scanner. It detects a scanner but
cannot recognize it. I have installed the latest version of sane (1.02),
compiled it
but when I launch xscanimage or scanimage, it doesn't find any scanner.

thanks in advance for your help

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:26:07 GMT

I don't use RedHat but the standard xf86config script (Or something like
that) takes you step by step through the detection process. The most
important thing is to look either at a monitor specification that
matches yours, or look in the monitor manual to find the V and H
settings. That way the script can calculate the correct start values.
after you get a picture you can use xvidtune to make fine adjustments
and update your XF86Config file accordingly. Might want to look through
the HOW-TO for XFree86, before you start screwing around and make a
backup copy of the XF86Config just in case you mess up the file.
Flickering screen is better than no screen :) (Still read the howto,
there are a lot of fun things you can do with it, that may not be clear
right away, esp how to end it if things go wrong).

jollyroger

From: "Warren B. Hapke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: inkjet printers and postscript
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:43:56 GMT

Rhodri Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I am wanting to buy a printer to use with my linux box at home to print
: postscript figures. Unfortunately a laser printer is too expensive.
: According to the Printer HOWTO one can use an inkjet printer and send
: postscript to it via Ghostview. Does anyone have experience of doing this,
: and know that it works?

Look at this site for information on Linux-compatible printers:

   http://gatekeeper.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi

In particular, there's a Lexmark printer recommended at that site
that's available at buy.com for less than $100.

Sometimes you can find used printers in good condition; these are
often Linux-compatible.  (I got my Canon BJC-240 used for less than $50.)

Warren B. Hapke

From: David Rose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: HP DAT tape drive
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:48:34 GMT

Just installed RH 6.1 on my PC at work and had no trouble getting an HP DAT
drive to work. First day used it to back up a disk from a Sun workstation.
Didn't require any config just used /dev/st0 with tar.

Dave Rose

------------------------------

From: "Warren B. Hapke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Canon BJC-240
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:51:06 GMT

theCelt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Good day -

: I am running Mandrake 7.0 and would like to get my Canon BJC-240
: working there.  However, I can find no documentation other than The
: Linux Printing HOWTO on it.  Unfortunately, they do not say how to get
: this printer to work under Linux.

: I tried printtool, but the printer is not listed, but the BJ-240 is.
: Does this mean that my printer should do at least bw?  Does anyone know
: if it is possible to get this printer to work?   I hate to buy a new
: printer...

I use this printer on my Linux system, though only in black and white.
(I print nothing but text.)  If you use "printtool", just choose the
BJ-240 filter and run the tests.  You will probably have to check
the button that does carriage return/line feed translations, but the
tests will guide you through that process.

Look at

  http://gatekeeper.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi

for more printer information.

Warren B. Hapke

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Aureal + AMD = freeze in Linux?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:49:14 GMT

I've seen several posts from people with AMD CPUs and sound cards with
Aureal chipsets having problems with their computers freezing after
playing sound for a while.  After anywhere from 5 sec. to 20 mins. of
playing sound (MP3, WAV, etc.) on Linux or Winblows, the computer just
locks up and has to be cycled.

In Winblows, Aureal's latest drivers appear to fix this problem.  I can
now play MP3s or whatever for as long as I want without problems.  But
in Linux, the problem still exists.  I have tried both the Aureal
1.0.5 drivers (from linux.aureal.com) and the 1.0.5 bpl1 drivers (from
http://www.geocities.com/bofh_666/) and I'm still seeing the same
problem.  If anything, the bpl drivers seem to delay the freeze, but
ultimately don't prevent it.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Someone in another post mentioned
that this may be the SoundBlaster emulation causing the lock-ups.  Can
this be disabled in Linux?

Thanks,

Steve