  Re: RAID & SCSI peripherals (prostorage)

From: Michel Talon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Asus A7Pro or Abit KT7?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:56:30 +0100

In comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc Charles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,

> I'm building a Duron linux/BSD box, and I cannot decide which motherboard to
> use. Has anyone had any troubles or good experiances with either the Asus
> A7Pro or Abit KT7? These are the two boards I have narrowed it down to. Are
> either of these boards incompatible with linux/BSD? Thanks.

> Charles

I have an AbitKT7. Works very well with Linux, FreeBSD and Windows. For sure
the Asus is very good also. To get better performance the Abit BIOS needs some
tweaking, for example putting the ram settings to Turbo. You can get an Abit
card with a Raid HighPoint controller for very cheap, and it is supported by
FreeBSD.

--
Michel Talon

------------------------------

From: Michel Talon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:58:45 +0100

In comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc Natalie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello guys, according to Asus's URL for A7V, it supports
> ATA66/100
> http://www.asus.com/products/motherboard/socketa/a7v/index.html

> But i keep seeing people having so much problems getting Linux to even
> boot from CD and installing on a ATA66/100 drives.

> Since both of you have successfully installed it, It would be nice
> if you could state what other hardware you have in there.

> The only thing thats stopping me from upgrading my hardware is this
> ATA66/100 thingy.

> /natalie

I don't know with RedHat, but Mandrake installed without any problem on ata66
drives, and uses them at full speed. Idem for FreeBSD.

--
Michel Talon

------------------------------

From: Wim Valcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Digi PCI classicboard
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:12:06 GMT

Hello all,

Does anyone knows how to configure the Digi PCI classicboard (serial
card) under Linux. I used
the ISA card version and configured it with setserial, but that doesn't
work on the PCI version.
I contacted digi international some time ago, but i've got no answer.
Thanks for your reply,

Wim.

------------------------------

From: Stefan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: LILO-Problem after adding a HD
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:59:34 +0100

Hey guys,

I have a running dual-boot box. Windoze 98 on hda1, hda2 and hdb for
some Linux-"folders". SuSe Linux 7.0 is on sda1.
My CD-Rom is the hdd.

Now I would like a Samsung 6 GB drive to the system. (Secondary Master).

But whenever I try to connect it into the system LILO fails to start
("LI"). When I unplug the drive everything work fine.
/etc/fstab doesn´t contain the hdd (but that shouldn´t matter for LILO
(?))
I tried to reinstall LILO to solve the problem, I changed the HD´s but
to no avail.
I would be glad if someone could point me into the right direction.
(The SuSE-manual and the manualpages didn´t help me much)
If you need more specific information, please let me know.

Thanks,

Stefan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Andrew)
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.sun,comp.sys.sun.hardware
Subject: Reading ancient tapes using Emulex MD21 SCSI board
Date: 11 Dec 2000 22:24:16 +1100

I have a quantity of 60 mbyte 1/4" cartridges which I wish to read,
and copy the data onto a CDR for posterity. Unfortunately, my gear
doesn't quite work ...

1 x Linux box (2.2.17 kernel)
with 1 x AHA1542CF SCSI controller (ISA, very old one, 50-pin centronics)
with 1 x Centronics DB50 to old Sun type (50-pin, 3 rows) cable
1 x Sun 3 shoebox
containing 1 x Emulex MD21 SCSI-to-ESDI card
and 1 x 1/4" 60 mbyte cartridge drive. No other SCSI devices.

I remember the ESDI disk used to go in the bottom of the shoebox,
and the MD21 did the SCSI-to-ESDI mapping so the Sun3 box could
access it as a SCSI disk.

I don't remember whether the MD21 drove the tape also.

In configuring the AHA1542CF, I had to turn off Fast SCSI (quite
understandable considering the age of the gear it is driving). Also
the cable isn't terminated, not sure whether this is causing
further problems. Can't find my old Sun3 terminator.

When I boot Linux it recognises the controller and spends a long
time to identify 2 (yes!) SCSI disks, at id=1 and id=5. Both the
MD21. Now interestingly there aren't any disks there at all. It
can't see any tapes. When I use the AHA1542 BIOS diagnostics the
controller sees the MD21 on id=1 and it pauses on id=5, but does
not recognise a device on it.

Now on the kernel side I note that drivers/scsi/scsi.c has the
Emulex in its blacklist to prevent multi-LUN scanning. I seem
to recall the MD21 can actually map 2 ESDI disks; don't recall
whether they appear as 2 separate SCSI ids.

Theories:
        - the tape drive is too old to obey the identification protocol
        - the unterminated cable makes the comms dodgy
        - my AHA1542CF is too old to recognise the tape drive
        - the MD21 is not needed and is confusing the issue

I'm about to go and pull the tape unit apart to see whether I do
actually need the MD21. Does anybody have any other ideas? (apart
from borrowing a working internal SCSI drive).

Nick.
--
Pacific Internet               SP4   Fax: +61-2-9247-4738 Voice: 03-9674-7543
                                     http://www.zeta.org.au/~nick/

------------------------------

From: "Ray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: translating from vxworks
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:47:24 +0200

Hello, I am trying to find out any information possible on translating from
a vxworks operating system to linux. Is it possible, ghas anyone here ever
done it.

please contact me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Dave Merrill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.sun,comp.sys.sun.hardware
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 06:29:49 -0600

Find a QIC-150 scsi drive.  It will read 60Mb tapes, just not write
them.  They're a dime-a-dozen here in the States, probably pretty
cheap down under too.

------------------------------

From: Sebastian Hans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: What is the command to  . . . ?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:34:30 +0100

Josef Moellers wrote:

> Allen Wong wrote:
> >
> > In alt.os.linux.slackware Markus Amersdorfer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > > find . -name '*.txt' -exec grep "Hello World" {} \;
> >
> > This works, but it's alot slower than "find . -type f -name '*.txt' -print |
> > xargs grep "Hello World".
>
> These solutions won't tell where they found the match.
> Markus' solution can be enhanced to do that:
>         find . -name '*.txt' -exec grep "Hello World" {} \; -print

But this will always print the filename, even if the string is not found
in the file.

seb

--
   -------------------=====#####OOOOOOOO#####=====----c---c----------
sebastian hans - [EMAIL PROTECTED]      `\O/'  don't panic

------------------------------

From: Bulent Sarinc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to know when last accessed....
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:51:29 +0100

with pop3
telnet
ftp

at all how to know when a user has accessed last time the server with
any protocol.

finger -m <username> doesn't tell much

thanx in advance

Subject: Re: Linux with Abit KT7 & AMD Duron
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:57:53 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Willo) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
=?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rgen_Tegn=E9r?=) wrote:

>I bought this kind of machine and it doesn't see any kind of HD
>controllers, so it' like having no disks on installation (I tried
>several distributions, but the problem is always the same, so it means
>*kernel*)

I *think* mandrake 7.2 has support for the HPT370? If not, the patch is
available at www.highpoint-tech.com.

How about installing on another machine, stripping the system, building a
new kernel with HPT370 support, and moving the disks over? I am planning
the same upgrade myself - I'll probably build a new kernel on the old
mobo/cpu combo, and then replace the CPU/mobo after all is believed to be
OK.... :)

If not, I have a Hot Rod 66 that I know is working - I can probably move it
to the new mobo and hope it all works out.
--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60 A         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Peter Whysall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: getting the mouse wheel to work
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:58:44 +0000

In article <XuPY5.4322$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Larry Mckenzie"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribed thusly:

> Ok i have a wheel mouse also came with my hp pavillion i have installed
> linux red hat 6.1 and im not sure about alot of things at the current
> time but can i get the wheel mouse to work with linux. I would like to
> use the scroll function to move text in long help files. Im spending
> alot of time searching help files on my new linux system.
>
> Lost in linux and kinda like it Larry Mckenzie

[Disclaimer: This information is good for XFree86 4.0.1 and an
Intellimouse Explorer attached to the USB port. YMMV]

I have a section in my /etc/X11/XFree86Config thus:

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

    Identifier  "Mouse1"                    # Default
    Driver      "mouse"                     # Default
    Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"           # "Intellimouse" doesn't work
                                            # for me
    Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"  # For USB; normal mice use
                                            # /dev/mouse
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"             # This makes my wheel go.

GNOME applications support the mouse pretty well, and Red Hat seems to
have a little support in there; however, I can't speak for KDE or other
window manager/desktop combinations.

If you're not using XFree86 version 4, you might want to investigate a
little program called "imwheel".

Peter.

--
Peter Whysall
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Josef Moellers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:07:43 +0100

Sebastian Hans wrote:
> =

> Josef Moellers wrote:
[ ... ]
> > These solutions won't tell where they found the match.
> > Markus' solution can be enhanced to do that:
> >         find . -name '*.txt' -exec grep "Hello World" {} \; -print
> =

> But this will always print the filename, even if the string is not foun=
> in the file.

No, it will not. The three items (terms?)
-name '*.txt'
-exec grep "Hello World" {} \;
-print
are implicitly connected by -a (and) operators and short-circuited.
Thus grep will only be exec-ed if the name matches '*.txt' and the name
will only be print-ed if the grep is exec-ed and returns "true" (i.e.
exits with 0) which it only does if matches were found.

-- =

Josef M=F6llers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
        If failure had no penalty success would not be a prize (T.  Pratchett)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: I815 can not work under kernel 2.2.16 and XFree86 4.0.1
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:27:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Max Lungarella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hi
>
> > I install linux on I815 system. The kernel is 2.2.16 which include
the

> which distro are you using? rh7.0? graphicscard? i've successfully
> installed xfree4.0.1 on more than one i815-based machine. everything
> went fine.
>
> > module agpgart.o. The XFree86 is 4.0.1 which support the I810
chipset. There
> > is an error "device is busy" when I do "modprobe agpgart" and the
module is
> > not loaded.

Hi!

I am the other one that run into the similar trouble. I want to setup
a GeForce2 card on my Red Hat 7.0 box based on i815 chipset.

% insmod agpgart
/lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/agpgart.o: init_module: Device or resource b
usy
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/agpgart.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/agpgart.o failed
/lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/agpgart.o: insmod agpgart failed

even with try_agp_unsupported=1.

% tail /var/log/messages
Dec 11 16:46:09 mercury kernel: Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff
Hartmann
Dec 11 16:46:09 mercury kernel: agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for
agp memory: 94M
Dec 11 16:46:09 mercury kernel: agpgart: agpgart: Detected an Intel
i815, but could not find the secondary device.

% lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82815 815 Chipset Host Bridge and
Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 1131 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801AA PCI Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801AA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801AA IDE (rev 02)
00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA USB (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA AC'97
Audio (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV15 (Geforce2
GTS) (rev a3)
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557 [Ethernet Pro 100]
(rev 08)

I have to turn the AGP off in kernel config in order to make NVdriver
work. Any idea?

Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Andrew)
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.sun,comp.sys.sun.hardware
Date: 12 Dec 2000 01:04:26 +1100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Andrew) writes:

>Theories:
>       - the MD21 is not needed and is confusing the issue

I found the tape drive is actually driven by its own controller
board (not the Emulex MD21, thankfully!). I unplugged the MD21
and Linux can now see the tape drive but read/write operations
do not work.

Also the tape drive identifies itself as "Sequential Access" but
the SCSI identification fields are all null. Maybe normal...!

Nick.

From: David Hines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Epson Printers
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 07:45:42 -0800

Gísli Lárus Valsson wrote:

>   Hi
>   Does anyone know if the new Epson stylus color II 680 880 printers work
>   with gs?
> I am in the need of getting a new printer and am wondering witch to
> choose.
>
> the Hardware-howto was last modified sometime in 99 so any input,
> experience would be apriciated
>
> thank you.
>   Gísli

I had the same question last week.  According to the linuxprinting.org
website, the new Epson SC 880 is 'mostly' supported with full support
expected soon.  I did not check on the 680.  The older SC 860 can still be
found with some effort and Epson is offering a $50 rebate here in the US
(possibly elsewhere) on these if purchased before 12/31/2000.  Mine arrived
yesterday and the setup under Linux was a snap.

Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:19:46 GMT

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 04:30:09 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I am looking for the command that will help me compare two directory
>structures.
>
>I just did a file copy to an NFS drive and I want to make sure that I
>got everything.
>
>I used
>cp -axv /dev /mnt/vol00
>cp -axv /bin /mnt/vol00
>cp -axv/usr /mnt/vol00
>etc . . .
>
>Doing some sampling, it appears that everything copied okay.
>
>What I am looking for is the equivalent to this
>dos command: dir *.* /s

The diff command will compare two directory structures, recursively.

Gord

------------------------------

From: "E Moore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: adaptec 2940uw and install
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:15:02 -0600

I replaced an Adaptec 2940uw with another 2940uw and Red Hat 6.2
started to have problems with the new card.  Processes would not stay
active and when I restarted Linux again I received a CRC error.  I
reinstalled
Linux and the installation hangs at different places in the install. I have
low level formatted my SCSI drive and checked the drive for errors.
The Adaptec 2940uw works with Windows (NT/95/98) but it is having problems
in Linux.  The card I am having trouble with is running Adaptec BIOS
1.34.3.  My other Adaptec 2940uw is running OK on this PC and has Adaptec
BIOS 1.32. I am wondering if there is a problem with versions of the Adaptec
2940uw BIOS and Linux.  Any help would be greatly appreciated !

E. Moore
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(remove NOSPAM from email address)

------------------------------

From: ekk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Recognizing multiple CPUs
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:42:26 -0500

Maybe he should wait on RH 7.0, and settle for 6.1 since GCC is not
adequate in 7.0 . . .

------------------------------

Subject: Re: RAID & SCSI peripherals
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (prostorage)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 16:05:42 GMT

In article <90k476$kt6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>Hi,
>
>I'm planing to set up a Linux server with RAID option (possibly Adaptec's
>SCSI RAID 2100s or 3200s over Seagate ultra 160, 10k, 18GB disks). The
>question is: to instal a tape drive in the server (HP DAT DDS4 40G) do I
>need another SCSI controller?

yes
because the RAID controller is a RAID controller, NOT a SCSI host
bus adapter

>In another machine, I intend to install a Adaptec's SCSI 29160 where a
>Seagate disk similar to the above will be connected. If,  in the same
>machine I install a CD-RW, is it advisable to connect it on the same
>controler?

yes

--