Linux-Hardware Digest #14, Volume #14            Mon, 11 Dec 00 14:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Kernel sees only part of memory (Peter Linde)
  Driver for Adaptec ARO-1130U2 ("TeleDK")
  HELP!!! drivers for winmodem .... ("Johny")
  Re: I815 can not work under kernel 2.2.16 and XFree86 4.0.1 (J Wendel)
  Re: Kernel sees only part of memory (Mathias Meisfjordskar)
  Re: Recognizing multiple CPUs ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: NIC identification ("Alk")
  SAG Electronics as a Hardware Vendor (Howard Arons)
  Booting a RAID system  ("Pedro")
  Re: Asus A7V and IBM Deskstart 75GXP ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: LILO-Problem after adding a HD ("Alk")
  Re: adaptec 2940uw and install ("Alk")
  Re: No sound after 2.4.0-test10 kernel build ("Eric Wertman")
  Re: What is the command to  . . . ? (Kaz Kylheku)
  ABit; HPT366; Linux 7 Install problems ("DjM")
  Re: modem driver (-J=P-)
  Re: Abit KT6-RAID & linux ("DjM")
  Dell Inspiron 8000 & Suse Linux 7.0 ("Holger")
  Re: modem driver ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: modem driver ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Kernel sees only part of memory
  Re: Linux with Abit KT7 & AMD Duron ("DjM")

From: Peter Linde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Kernel sees only part of memory
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:09:03 +0100

Dear all,

I am running RH Linux 7.0 on  an HP Kayak, which has
2x733 Mhz processors and  256 Mb of memory. I also run Windows 2000
from a separate disk.  While booting Linux, the kernel reports  and uses
only 64 Mb of
memory. Under Windows the entire memory is seen and used.

Any hints?

Peter Linde
Lund Observatory
Sweden

------------------------------

From: "TeleDK" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Driver for Adaptec ARO-1130U2
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:48:39 +0100

Hi

Does anyone know where to get one, or how to make one?

Does anyone from Adaptec read this?

Best regards

Tue

------------------------------

From: "Johny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP!!! drivers for winmodem ....
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:56:34 +0100

I have a winmodem zoltrix spirit and i need drivers for him... for kernel
2.2.18 plese help me somebody!!!!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Wendel)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: I815 can not work under kernel 2.2.16 and XFree86 4.0.1
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 16:59:20 GMT

815 support is in the latest 2.4.0-test kernels, may also be in
2.2.18.

John

------------------------------

From: Mathias Meisfjordskar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel sees only part of memory
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:57:46 +0100

Peter Linde wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am running RH Linux 7.0 on  an HP Kayak, which has
> 2x733 Mhz processors and  256 Mb of memory. I also run Windows 2000
> from a separate disk.  While booting Linux, the kernel reports  and uses
> only 64 Mb of
> memory. Under Windows the entire memory is seen and used.
>
> Any hints?

Try adding:

append="mem=256M"

in the kernel section "image=..." in /etc/lilo.conf. If that fails, try
255M, and so on.

Mathias

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Recognizing multiple CPUs
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 16:40:37 GMT

In comp.os.linux.questions ekk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Maybe he should wait on RH 7.0, and settle for 6.1 since GCC is not
> adequate in 7.0 . . .

"Adequate for what?" being the operative question. Any program is
inadequate for something.

>> You will want to install Red Hat 7.0, and then upgrade
>> to the 2.4 kernel whan it comes out (probably by the
>> end of the year) to get max performance.

test10 or some other snapshot is in the preview directory, along with
a copy of glibc optimised for 2.4. Personally, I'm waiting for 2.4.0
before even contemplating a move though.

--
Matt Gauthier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Alk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NIC identification
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:10:54 +0200

"Eggert Ehmke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 01:16:06 +0200, "Alk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Are you absolutely sure it has no label with MAC address (12 numbers) or
FCC
> >ID on it? Any of these numbers will surely help you identify board
> >manufacturer, which can give you a further identification tips
>
> Now I found out it is a Accton EN1660 card. According to the SuSE and
> RedHat hardware lists, it should be a PCI card, but in fact it's an
> ISA. Still can't get it to work.
http://www.accton.com/accton/products/adapters/en1660tct/base.html
Yeah, whatever you say - set jumpers an PnP exclusions for your card
accordingly
AG

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Howard Arons)
Subject: SAG Electronics as a Hardware Vendor
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:18:14 -0000

Anyone had dealings with this vendor. I'm looking at their 133FSB box,
configured as follows:

            Pentium III 800MHZ/133 w/256k cache
            ASUS VIA Apollo Pro 133 A Chipset
            (6)PCI 32-bit , (1) ISA, USB, Ultra DMA/66,
            AGP 4X
            4x DIMM up to 4GB, 133 MHz
            128MB SDRAM, ECC 133MHz
            30GB, IDE 7200 RPM, Ultra 100 IBM (QTY 1)

            3.5" Floppy, Sony
            24/48x IDE Sony CDROM
            16MB AGP 4X Millenium G400 - Matrox
            10/100 PCI Ethernet RJ45, 3COM 3C905-TX
            (QTY 1)
            PCI-512 Soundblaster, Creative Labs
            3D 25 Watt Surround Speakers
            Tool Free Mid-Tower
            104 Keyboard
            3 Button Mouse, Logitech
            17 inch Color, .23, 1280x1024, Hitachi
            CM-615U

I'd especially like comments on the Asus VIA Apollo pro mobo in this box.

TIA,
Howard A
--
Powered by SuSE Linux 6.3 -- Kernel 2.2.17
News Reader slrn 0.9.5.7

------------------------------

From: "Pedro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Booting a RAID system
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:29:12 -0000

Hi all,

Do a Linux system with the hardware RAID option Adaptec SCSI RAID 2100S and
3 U160 SCSI disk drives in RAID5 need a separate disk out of the RAID system
in order to boot? Or may the system boot with the RAID system?

Thanks.

Pedro

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Asus A7V and IBM Deskstart 75GXP
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:34:08 GMT

Neal...

I'm using an Asus A7v rev 1.02 with the 1005.03e BETA BIOS, TBird850
@1000, and have a 46 Gig IBM 75GXP as my primary drive and a 10 Gig
IBM 14GXP as my slave on the ATA100 channel, and I'm using WinME.

I haven't heard any noises or noticed any weird problems with the
drives.  I'm new to Asus (ex-ABIT), and I haven't quite figured out
how the power management features really work.  It seems to take about
5 seconds to awaken the HDD when I've left the machine for an hour or
so and then move the mouse.  This bios is not perfect, but Asus has a
very solid reputation and I think like any other new board, it's never
100% right out of the box.

Mike

------------------------------

From: "Alk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO-Problem after adding a HD
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:36:11 +0200

(a)Remove boot detection of HDDs which doesn't contain / or /boot or
wherever boot image or lilo is,
(b)disabling UDMA detection in BIOS sometimes helps with some broken BIOSes

AG
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Alk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: adaptec 2940uw and install
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:43:08 +0200

Check if Ctrl-A settings are completely same in means of exact ( not auto)
termination setup and other strange features setup
If you get crc error right after loading boot image from lilo - lilo is
booting different boot image your it was made for
Boot anything else and recreate lilo

AG
"E Moore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:912qpc$4jp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I replaced an Adaptec 2940uw with another 2940uw and Red Hat 6.2
> started to have problems with the new card.  Processes would not stay
> active and when I restarted Linux again I received a CRC error.  I
> reinstalled
> Linux and the installation hangs at different places in the install. I
have
> low level formatted my SCSI drive and checked the drive for errors.
> The Adaptec 2940uw works with Windows (NT/95/98) but it is having problems
> in Linux.  The card I am having trouble with is running Adaptec BIOS
> 1.34.3.  My other Adaptec 2940uw is running OK on this PC and has Adaptec
> BIOS 1.32. I am wondering if there is a problem with versions of the
Adaptec

------------------------------

From: "Eric Wertman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No sound after 2.4.0-test10 kernel build
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:31:51 -0500

Joseph-

Thanks for the input, but I did download and install the latest version of
modutils i could find before I build the 2.4. kernel (2.3.9 or something
similar).  I may try to re-do it and load emu101k support as a module rather
than into the kernel.  Thanks

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: What is the command to  . . . ?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:58:50 GMT

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:15:34 +0100, Josef Moellers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Allen Wong wrote:
>>
>> In alt.os.linux.slackware Markus Amersdorfer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> > find . -name '*.txt' -exec grep "Hello World" {} \;
>>
>> This works, but it's alot slower than "find . -type f -name '*.txt' -print |
>> xargs grep "Hello World".
>
>These solutions won't tell where they found the match.
>Markus' solution can be enhanced to do that:
>       find . -name '*.txt' -exec grep "Hello World" {} \; -print

So can the other one:

    ... xargs grep --with-filename "Hello World"

or, more portably:

    ... xargs grep /dev/null "Hello World"

Note that exec'ing grep for each file may be a lot slower compared to using
xargs to build up a long argument list to pass to one grep instance.

------------------------------

From: "DjM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ABit; HPT366; Linux 7 Install problems
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:33:01 GMT

Teckies:

I am a Unix application developer who is in the process of setting up a pair
of Linux networks (Prod/Dev).  I have built a number of PIII machines
employing ABit bords that contain the infamous HPT366 controller (IDE;
DMA66/33).

I have tried a number of times to install Linux (3 different versions- 5.0,
6.2, 7; Gentus Linux that comes with the board).  All of the installations
point at the controller (in my mind).  Here's what I get after selecting the
installation type (i.e. workstation, server, etc...):

No Drives Found
An Error has occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create new
file systems.  Please check your harware for the cause of this problem.

If ayone has run into this on their ABit board and/or know how to fix this,
it would greatly appreciated!  I have quite ABit of setting up to do and
obviously can't get to first base, until I get Linux installed.  I suspect
that I'll have to pass the kernel something, but I am still researching
this.  I have spent the past 2 days trying to work through this.  Any
clue-ins would be appreciated.

Thanks,
DjM

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (-J=P-)
Subject: Re: modem driver
Date: 11 Dec 2000 12:36:11 -0600

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000 12:44:55 GMT, Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>-J=P- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>>What's your problem with understanding? 99% of PCI modems are
>>>winmodems.  5% of those have a linux driver.

>>>Bully for you. How does that affect the advice one should give to
>>>people? Or do you propose crossing the road with your eyes shut simply
>>>because 5% of the time you will survive?
>
>> Perhaps because if you over-simplify and say no PCI modems work and someone
>> hears elsewhere that in fact they (some) do work then they will be very confused
>> and may totally disregard your statement?
>
>And what exactly is the penalty of that?  They then have a 50% chance
>(confused person) of going ahead and buying the non-working pci
>winmodem, instead of the 95% chance which they'd have had if they went
>ahead and bought a pci modem in the first place without receiving
>advice, or the 0% chance that they'd have if they heeded advice to not
>buy a pci (or USB!) modem.
>
>Do you know ANY game theory, decsion theory, risk analysis? NNNO.
>
>Telling them not to buy a pci modem is the optimal strategy against
>the game countermoves you proposed.
>
>And I suppose they aren't confused by being told that pci modems can work?

To use a real-world analogy (like your fatuous road-crossing one) you would
only buy a BMW-compatible exhaust for your BMW car. You only buy a PCI modem
"certified" with linux (such as actiontec call-waiting) for your Linux
system. I would hope most people understand that.

jp

From: "DjM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Abit KT6-RAID & linux
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:37:11 GMT

Dude,

What did you do to get Linux installed on your ABit?  I have 6 ABit machines
to install Linux on and can't get through the installation.  I suspect that
the HPT366 controller requires some special attention (as it usually does).
Did you have to pass the kernel a directive or two?

FYI: I'll also be setting up on a few HPT370's, too.

Thanks,
DjM

------------------------------

From: "Holger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dell Inspiron 8000 & Suse Linux 7.0
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:29:55 +0100

Hi
got problems with PCMCIA on an Dell Inspiron 8000 with SUSE LINUX 7.0

When starting - at initialization of PCMCIA
the system hangs

I used PCMCIA_PCIC_OPTS="irq_list=3.5.7.9.10.11"

It had no effect

Works only with
START_PCMCIA="no"

but then the integrated network-adpater is not available :-(

Got tips ????

Thx  Holger

Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:54:28 GMT

James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> And I suppose they aren't confused by being told that pci modems can work?
> Simple: Tell them to buy only PCI modems that say they support Linux on the box,  buy

Sigh .. you really are trying, aren't you?

> only a 3Com/USR modem with that model number, buy only form a mail order retailer

The model numbers on 3coms aren't externally visible (or at least not
correlated with the markings on the box), as far as I can gather. I'd
vouch for that on USR equipment, anyway!

> that clearly labels modems as Win or Non-Win, or (as I did) go into a real

Nobody labels their modems as "non-winmodem". They couldn't. The
name is trademarked, and the trademark holders wouldn't do it!

> electronics store and tell the clerk that you need a hardware modem for UNIX.

And how does the person spot a real electronics store, and maybe a real
electronics clerk? I used to know a few about 10 years ago, but I don't
think I could even come up with one nowadays. And the real people don't
know either .. nobody can. Teh manufacturers change things every week
without telling anyone.

> On the other hand you can tell them to waste $50 so they don't have to think!!

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:54:39 GMT

-J=P- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2000 12:44:55 GMT, Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To use a real-world analogy (like your fatuous road-crossing one) you would
> only buy a BMW-compatible exhaust for your BMW car. You only buy a PCI modem
> "certified" with linux (such as actiontec call-waiting) for your Linux

This doesn't get you anything. Presumably lucent "certify" their
win/softmodems for linux, since they provided a driver. Unfortunately
their driver won't work on any current distro, since it's compiled for
an old kernel, and available binary-only. (as far as I remember ..)

> system. I would hope most people understand that.

You really, really, are very, very trying, very very hard...

Peter

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:55:48 -0500

Usually, specifying the amount of memory at boot time should fix it.
However, I must tell you that when I increased my computer's memory from 64
Mb to 128 Mb a while back, the kernel detected all of it.
I seem to recall something about finicky bioses, for which the work around
was to tell the kernel howmuch memory you have, at boot time.

This is done by typing the following at boot time.

linux  mem=256M
   |           |
   |           -----------  This is a boot time parameter. Lilo passes this
verbatim to the kernel.

    --------------------  This is the name of the kernel image ( You may
have another kernel image file )

To see what all are the bootables, hit TAB at the LILO prompt.

HTH

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "DjM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux with Abit KT7 & AMD Duron
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:00:23 GMT

Dudey,

The bottom line is this when you purchase an ABit (I have 6 of them- BX133,
BE6, BF6 SAR6): you are saddled with the Highpoint controller!  If you can
get a machine with a Promise controller, you're much better off.

I have just found out that I have to build my own kernel with an IDE patch
as any version (vendor, or version #) will not see the Highpoint controller
(usually HPT366, HPT370).

I've already purchased Redhat 7 and cannot use their installation CD-
wonderful.

I hope this helps...DjM