Linux-Hardware Digest #57, Volume #14            Tue, 19 Dec 00 11:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: bootable raid 1 (Chas2K)
  SCAM (Richard Kimber)
  Re: Help me choose a motherboard! (NetHead)
  Re: Hard disk partition problem (Richard Kimber)
  Re: open gl + Nvidia 9-5 + Tnt under Redhat 7 ("Don Ward")
  Re: Setting up modem in Linux (Paul Pygeon)
  Pb with RealTek LAN Adapter ("Nicolas VIGOGNE")
  Pb with RealTek LAN Adapter ("Nicolas VIGOGNE")
  GeForce2 MX (Creative) Linux Problem ("Maverick")
  Re: Why my creative PCI 128 sound card cant work in Mandrake7.1? (Sinner from the
Prairy)
  Re: SCAM (Russ Johnson)
  Soundblaster 16 PCI (Anthony Hung)
  Serial Port Higher than 115.200 bps ("Shark")
  Re: Wrong IO or IRQ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Pb with RealTek LAN Adapter ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  1U cases for Supermicro's 370DLR/370DER m/b's ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Wrong IO or IRQ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: cdrecord & Creative CDRW8432 (RW8435E) ("Peter Grina (CTG)")
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! (mlw)

From: Chas2K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: Re: bootable raid 1
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 07:50:51 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]
>
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:55:19 -0500, Chas2K
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>
> >> I am currently doing bootable raid 1 with all of the latest patches
> >> for
> >> 2.2.18 and then some.
> >> When I try to boot the system with either drive removed, I get a bunch
> >> of
> >> 010101010's in an endless loop.
> >> Yet, when both drives are in, the system comes up fine. What am I
> >> doing
> >> wrong?
> >>
> >> Using lilo 21.5
> >>
> >> lilo.conf.hda
> >>
> >> disk=/dev/md0
> >> bios=0x80
> >> sectors=63
> >> heads=15
> >> cylinders=13328
> >> partition=/dev/md1
> >> start=63
> >> boot=/dev/hda
> >> map=/boot/map
> >> install=/boot/boot.b
> >> vga=normal
> >> default=vmlinux
> >> keytable=/boot/us.klt
> >> prompt
> >> timeout=50
> >> message=/boot/message
> >> menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
> >> image=/boot/vmlinuz
> >> label=vmlinuz
> >> root=/dev/md0
> >> append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide2=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
> >> read-only
> >> image=/boot/vmlinux
> >> label=vmlinux
> >> root=/dev/md0
> >> append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide2=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
> >> read-only
> >>
> >> lilo.conf.hdc
> >>
> >> disk=/dev/md0
> >> bios=0x81
> >> sectors=63
> >> heads=16
> >> cylinders=16278
> >> partition=/dev/md1
> >> start=63
> >> boot=/dev/hdc
> >> map=/boot/map
> >> install=/boot/boot.b
> >> vga=normal
> >> default=vmlinux
> >> keytable=/boot/us.klt
> >> prompt
> >> timeout=50
> >> message=/boot/message
> >> menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
> >> image=/boot/vmlinuz
> >> label=vmlinuz
> >> root=/dev/md0
> >> append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide2=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
> >> read-only
> >> image=/boot/vmlinux
> >> label=vmlinux
> >> root=/dev/md0
> >> append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide2=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
> >> read-only
> >
> >Looks like you're pulling out the drive with the boot sector on it. Is
> >your configuration mirroring all of the drives together, or just the

I got this same stream of blits when I took drive 0 off line and thought
I had made the 2nd drive active. Ok. I'm out of wisdom... anybody else?

--
======== * ===== www.unixstar.com =============
- Support a free and democratic Taiwan        -

From: Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCAM
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:04:12 +0000

The boot messages tell me that my Buslogic SCSI controller has SCAM
disabled.  The controller manual doesn't tell what that is, nor the
circumstances under which I might want to enable it.

What is SCAM and should I enable it?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: NetHead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Help me choose a motherboard!
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:27:30 +0100

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 02:30:21 GMT, "Neal Lippman"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am about to buy a MB for my first system build. Processor will be an AMD
>Athlon 1.0 GHz. I will be running Mandrake Linux 7.2.
>
>The question is, which MB is likely to give me the best shot at a trouble -
>free and successful build with a stable system? While there are a ton of MB
>manufacturers out there, I have pretty much narrowed the field to the Asus
>A7V, the Abit KT7-RAID, and the MSI K7T-Pro2A.
>
>Any input, especially from someone who has used any/all of these boards with
>Linux, would be very much appreciated.

Some people have had troubles installing linux on asus a7v because the
promise ata 100 controller is only supported with the very last linux
kernel.

The soltek sl-75kv2 has via ata100 controller. This is also a very new
ata100 controller. But it is not as complicated as on the asus a7v
having 2 controllers (8 units can be connected).

Soltek !

Or wait for kt133A chipset coming in January/February. It has AMD 266
support (Thunderbird and Durons running 266 MHz frontbus internally
and not as now 200 MHz, kt133A uses sdram). Epox 8kta3 has it, and
there is also a soltek under way. With raid Iwill will bring one with
KT133A chipset.

best regards

John

------------------------------

From: Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard disk partition problem
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:24:52 +0000

Andrey Vlasov wrote:

> Try shift partion numbers by 1 up. It seems to me that Partition Magic
> created one extra partition on free available disk space. (check it
> through fdisk)
>
> Andrey

No Partition Magic used all the space for the 4 partitions

- Richard.

--
Richard Kimber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Don Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: open gl + Nvidia 9-5 + Tnt under Redhat 7
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 07:31:34 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Daniel"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I did follow the instructions word for work, and they have not worked at  all.
>  I have even gone to a few other websites and followed there  directions and I
> get the same results.  here is the last thing I get in my  error log when I
> try to startx  because when I install the drivers, then I  can't get x to come
> back up
>
> (==) NV (0): BACKING STORE DISABLED
> (==) NV (0): SILKEN MOUSE ENABLED
> (II) [GLX]:  caling GlxExtensionInit

Did you follow the instructions for making sure that you did not have
a conflict with Mesa and the Nvidia opengl support?

 If not, then that is most likely where your error is.

 Perhaps to get past this error you could comment out the Load "glx"
portion in your xconfig file.

 After hunting down all of the various mesa opengl modules, the
instructions were extremely valuable in helping me do this, I finally
got the below in my gui log file.

 Success in getting the nvidia opengl support working!

(II) [GLX]: Calling GlxExtensionInit
(II) [GLX]:  adding Xvis: 33 GLXvis: 0 rgba:[5,6,5,0],
        mask[0xf800,0x7e0,0x1f,0x0],db[1],st[8],z[16]
(II) [GLX]:  adding Xvis: 35 GLXvis: 1 rgba:[5,6,5,0],
        mask[0xf800,0x7e0,0x1f,0x0],db[0],st[0],z[16]
(II) [GLX]:  adding Xvis: 36 GLXvis: 2 rgba:[5,6,5,0],
        mask[0xf800,0x7e0,0x1f,0x0],db[0],st[8],z[16]
(II) [GLX]:  adding Xvis: 37 GLXvis: 3 rgba:[5,6,5,0],
        mask[0xf800,0x7e0,0x1f,0x0],db[1],st[0],z[16]

My card is an Nvidia TnT2 with 32mg agp etc. so these instructions
do work.

Good luck

--
Don Ward
dwarthogatbresnanlin.knet

------------------------------

From: Paul Pygeon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting up modem in Linux
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:50:40 -0500

Cronos wrote:

> Sorry. I'm kinda new to this sort of thing!
> The model is 5687, ISA.

In a console, type pnpdump. You'll see if your modem would be recognized.

man isapnp
man pnpdump

wil help you

------------------------------

From: "Nicolas VIGOGNE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.news.groups,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Pb with RealTek LAN Adapter
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:51:37 +0100

Hi,
I just want to submit you a little problem :
I can't ping any host on my LAN with a RealTek 8029 adapter under Mandrake
7.2.

Here are the symptoms : configuration is OK through netconf or DrakConf. But
when I try to type an "ifconfig eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ...", system replies
"Ressource temporary Unavailable".

I can ping myself, but I can't see any other Win98 hosts with fixed
adresses.

What's the matter ?

Nicolas

------------------------------

From: "Maverick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.i
Subject: GeForce2 MX (Creative) Linux Problem
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:32:11 -0000

I'm having problems installing my Creative GeForce2 MX under RedHat Linux 7,
the drivers that came with linux don't recognize my GeForce2 MX, then i
installed the NVIDIA 0.9-5 drivers, and when i installed them it gave a
problem with agpgart module, it wont install that module because it couldn't
find a supportable VIA chipset, then i tried the agp_try_unsupported=1 and
it installed the agpgart module, and then i was able to install the nvidia
drivers, but when i start X-WINDOWS it crahes the computer.

My configuration: Intel Pentium III (EB) 667 Mhz, ASUS CUV4X Motherboard
(VIA chipset), 128 MB RAM (133 Mhz), RedHat Linux 7.0, XFree86 4.0.1.

------------------------------

From: Sinner from the Prairy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why my creative PCI 128 sound card cant work in Mandrake7.1?
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 09:14:56 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> It seems all is good , es1371 module is load when system booting.
> But the sound card cant work .

Did you try to open the mixer (kmix, aumix...) and pump up the volume?
Those cards (ensoniq chipset) are set with a default really really low
volume, so you cannot hear anything.

Try it.

This happened to me.

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Salut
Sinner
--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net

------------------------------

From: Russ Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCAM
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 07:19:19 -0700

Richard Kimber wrote:

> The boot messages tell me that my Buslogic SCSI controller has SCAM
> disabled.  The controller manual doesn't tell what that is, nor the
> circumstances under which I might want to enable it.
>
> What is SCAM and should I enable it?

SCAM is "SCSI Configured AutoMagically"

Basically, it is a protocol where the host adapter is supposed to be
able to assign unique SCSI ID's to the targets (disk drives, tapes,
etc).  I have seen some disk drives that are able to use SCAM but many
do not.  The main problem with SCAM is when you add a new device, all of
your target ID's might change.  The other applications in the O/S don't
know about the change and then fail to work.

Bottom line, assign ID's yourself and leave SCAM disabled.

Russ

------------------------------

From: Anthony Hung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Soundblaster 16 PCI
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:33:18 GMT

Hi all,

I just got a soundlbaster 16 PCI and my system doesn't seem to be able to
recognize it. I am using redhat linux... linux 2.2. I ran sndconfig and it
says does not recognize Ensoniq 1274:5880... strange.  Just want to know
if linux supports this before I make a lot of effort recompiling the
kernel and stuff....

thanks!

Anthony

------------------------------

From: "Shark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Serial Port Higher than 115.200 bps
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:40:09 +0100

Hi.
I need a RS232 serial connection at 230.4 Kbps.
So I need a Isa or PCI board that have a RS232 interface with this rate.
In the market there are some boards availables.
Has someone already installed this kind of board on a Linux machine ?
All suggestions will be appreciated !
TNX
Marcello.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Wrong IO or IRQ?
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:15:14 GMT

I have a similiar setup in a machine I run with Red Hat 6.2.  I have an
ISA 3c509 and a $20 SOHO PCI 10/100 card using the tulip.o module.  I
configured the 3c509 to disable PNP and forced I/O and IRQ.  I don't
remember what values I used.

Anyway, I only used:
alias eth0 3c509

I didn't specify io= or irq= and it works fine.  If this doesn't work,
it highly likely that you have a resource conflict.  If you configure
the card in the Linux box the configuration program can usually detect
these conflicts.  You don't need DOS installed on the machine, just a
DOS boot disk.  Personally I use my Windows 98 install floppy which
gives you three choices on boot:
A) Install Win98
B) Boot w/ CD
C) Boot w/o CD

I boot w/o CD because I don't need it and it's much quicker.  Then after
booting have a second floppy ready with the 3Com configuration program
and run it from that floppy.

Let me know if this helps.

In article <91k25q$re6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

>     I am trying to set up a 2nd Ethernet Card on my Mandrake 7.1 Box.
> The first card is a Linksys PCI and works fine. However, the second
> card I had to use a ISA card(due to lack of PCI slots on my old
> Compaq).
>
>     Since I had to go ISA I picked a 3Com 3c509b-TPO card... I don't
> have DOS on my linux box, so I have to put my card into my Windows box
> to use the 3Com config utility to disable the PNP and set the IO and
> IRQ, and then take the card out and put it in my linux box. Is this a
> problem? Should the card be configured in my linux box? Again I don't
> have DOS on it. Does 3COM have a linux utility for configuring the
card?

>     Anyway, as I stated above. I disabled the the PNP and look at the
> IRQ and IO using the 3Com config utility on my Windows system and then
> wrote down the IO and IRQ. I then took the card out and put it into my
> linux system and tryed to set it up. I added:
>
> alias eth1 3c509
> options 3c509 io=0x300 irq=5 (I got the io and irq from the config
> utility.)
>
>     When I start up my system. It goes through and sets up the first
> card fine (eth0) then when it hits the second card it says "Invalid
> parameter parm_io... 3c509.o failed... etc."
>
>     Any Ideas?
>
> Thanks in advanced
>
> Adam
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Pb with RealTek LAN Adapter
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:19:38 GMT

In article <91nplr$4v6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Nicolas VIGOGNE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I just want to submit you a little problem :
> I can't ping any host on my LAN with a RealTek 8029 adapter under
Mandrake
> 7.2.

What driver are you using?  Is it compiled into the kernel or a module?

> Here are the symptoms : configuration is OK through netconf or
DrakConf. But
> when I try to type an "ifconfig eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ...", system
replies
> "Ressource temporary Unavailable".
>
> I can ping myself, but I can't see any other Win98 hosts with fixed
> adresses.
>
> What's the matter ?
>
> Nicolas

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro
Subject: 1U cases for Supermicro's 370DLR/370DER m/b's
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:52:22 GMT

has anyone managed to find a suitable 1U rackmount chassis
for a supermicro 370DER or 370DLR motherboard besides
supermicro's SC820 case?

(i'd prefer not to pay for hot-swappable bays since i am
building a beowulf cluster with these.  a typical compute
node merely contains a small ide hard drive and a floppy.
the master node however will have a scsi hard drive, a
cd-rom, and floppy.)

during the search so far, the main stumbling block has been the
i/o port configuration on the back plate.  the 300watt power
requirement drives the price up, but is generally available.

thanks,
--
bil <http://abweb.larc.nasa.gov/~kleb/>

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:50:47 GMT

YES! IT WORKED! Thank You very much. I removed the option line from my
conf.modules file and it picked up on the io and irq by itself. How did
it do that? Does the 3c509.o file probe the ISA ports and find it
itself? Everyone I talked to said ISA setup was harder then PCI but on
my PCI card I had to specify the io and irq for it to work!?! Anyway I
appreciate your help. I'm ready to rock now. Thanks!

Adam
___________________________________

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Peter Grina (CTG)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cdrecord & Creative CDRW8432 (RW8435E)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:51:03 -0500

If you're running GNOME, then that may be the problem.  Try exiting out
of the windowing system, su root, then try mounting the CD with this
command "mount -o ro -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt" to get it mounted on
/mnt.

Works for me, and I have the same drive.

-Pete

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux!
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:06:54 -0500

jtnews wrote:

> The Intel Easy PC camera is not supported in Linux!
> You can't even write a driver for it!
>
> I got it as a "free" add-on with my new Dell Dimension
> L600cx, but now it seems I made the wrong choice!
>
> Why does a $40 cheapo camera have to be proprietary for
> Intel?  I thought Intel made all their money because they make
> huge volumes of flash memory chips over their competitors.
>
> I better choose the Lexmark color printer as a free add on next
> time!

While I do not agree with Intel's position, I do understand it. You said
it yourself, it is a cheapo $40 camera.

The price indicates that the actual camera is trivial and all the
important product development was in the software. If Intel makes the
hardware API public, then it is clear how the camera works. Competitors
would be able to clone the hardware and just instruct users to download
the camera software from Intel.

I worked at Polaroid as a contractor and did some work on their
electronic still camera. There is a lot of image processing involved in
this sort of product. Obviously, the el-cheapo cameras must do this in
host software, not on the camera to keep the costs down. The competitor
only has to invest in hardware, while Intel has to recoup cost the
larger cost of software development.

It is a tough problem, and one of those gray areas in which a pure GPL
approach is a very tough sell. To differentiate yourself and be
competitive with a hardware product, you must make it good and make it
competitively priced. The answer to this is proprietary software to
control mass-produced trivial hardware.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com