From: "Dario" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help Conexant Hsf winmodem
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:15:00 GMT

Hi I have the in subject, exactly a PCI56SRXV, Fcc Reg No.
G9TTAI-25852-M5-E, chip Conexant RS-56PCI R6793-12.
I found the Olitec driver for this chip, I have installed it on my linux,
and I can have a dialog with modem by minicom, but there is a problem :
here, in Italy, we have'nt a dialtone as the modem expects, so the modem
command ATX3DT<phonenumber>, while it crashes if I digit
ATX1DT<phonenumber>. It may be my modem doesn't 'ear' the comand ATX3,
necessary in my country. How can I do the modems 'ears' it?I hope in
modifing the configuration files lin_hsf.inf and modem.map, but I don't know
if it is possible and how it is.
Thanks to everyone.
Dario

------------------------------

From: "Stewart Heitmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster Problem
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:09:59 +1100

You should remove sound support from the kernel for PnP cards.
Such cards are configured after the kernel has booted, so they
should not be hard-configured in the kernel.
The isapnp tool will do the configuration after the kernel has been loaded.
     Stewart Heitmann

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux!
Date: 19 Dec 2000 16:16:00 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> On 19 Dec 2000 10:04:56 -0700, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> >Where is Windows for ia64 again?
> >
> >How about Windows 2000 for Alpha?  S/390?
> >
> >Hmmm, seems Linux supports more modern hardware than Windows.
>
> Every user should have one in their living room.
>
> Get real, the guy was talking about a digital camera which I doubt you
> are going to use on a S/390.

Exactly my point.  Silly generalizations about modern hardware support
are ridiculous.  For every piece of hardware you find that Windows
doesn't work with, I can find another where the reverse is true.

> >> The Linux users need a reality check to see how much they are missing
> >> since they last used Windows circa 3.0
> >
> >Well, there have been 1,997 revisions since then (to 2000) -- I
> >suppose they could have fixed *some* of the bugs.
>
> Tried KDE 2.x lately?
>
> What's the secret to keeping it from crashing?

I use GNOME.

It hasn't crashed on me in the last year.

I wish I could say the same thing about EXPLORER.EXE, which crashes
every time I use Windows NT.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Date: 19 Dec 2000 16:17:18 -0700

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Stop apologizing for Microsoft.

Some "modern hardware" works with Linux and not with Windows.  Some
"modern hardware" works with Windows and not with Linux.

From: "Dario" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help Trust scanner
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:18:16 GMT

Hi, I have a Trust scanner (parallel) and I don't know how configure it. I
have tried the program SANE, but it doesn't recognize it.
Can anybody help me?
Thanks
Dario

------------------------------

From: "Willem Oldeman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hylafax + AT&T HSM288xCF modem setup
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:36:52 GMT

Hi,

I have hylafax-4.1beta2 running on a Linux machine with Redhat 6.
The modem I use is some obscure Dynalink 28k8 modem capable of fax class 1
and 2, querying the modem tells me that it has a AT&T HSM288xCF/CL2 V4.00
chipset in it. (No, I don't want to throw it out the window. It cost me
>US$100 when I bought it)
At this moment I use it as a class 1 faxmodem with standard settings. I can
only send faxes with it, but cannot receive any (the faxmachine that I use
barfs at me, saying 'bad response').
I can't find much information on the internet about the commands for this
chipset or modem, does anyone have a working setup that can be used with
Hylafax (/var/spool/fax/etc/config.ttySxx)?

Regards,
Willem

------------------------------

From: Oleg Krivosheev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CDRW/cdrecord media/type determination problem...
Date: 19 Dec 2000 17:40:35 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows) writes:

> On 13 Dec 2000 15:41:34 -0600, Oleg Krivosheev staggered into the Black
> Sun and said:
> >i changed (RMA and got "upgraded") my CDRW from Memorex 2x2x16 to
> >Memorex 2x2x24 and found following problem:
> >
> >- before cdrecord was able to determine the media type/manufacturer,
> >something like
> >  Media type: Phthalocyanine (Type 5)
> >  Manufacturer: Inmation
> >- now looks like it is unable to get
> >  media type/manufacturer. Something like
> >  Media type: unknown, not in database
> >  Manufacturer: unknown
> >  writing looks ok too, i'm able to read cd back
> >the funny part of the story is i'm still using the same spindle of
> >Inmation media ;) where i should look in order to correct this
> >problem?
>
> The drive firmware.  From the man page of cdrecord, "Only a limited
> number of drives support to read the ATIP info", which is where the
> information about media type and manufacturer are stored on a CD-R(W)
> blank.  It seems odd that a newer drive would give you this problem, but
> there it is.  "cdrecord -atip" or "cdrecord -prcap" may give you more
> information on what your drive can and can't handle.  HTH,

umm...

sorry didn't mention it before:
the problem is exactly the same drive when
rebooted to win98 was able to read and
print media info...

strange, huh? ;)

OK

------------------------------

From: Bill Shupp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: soyo sy-7IWM/L motherboard and kernel panic when using append="mem=128M"
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:04:58 GMT

Motherboard:  soyo sy-7IWM/L 1.0
Processor: Celeron 600Mhz

Without an append boot statement, linux is only seeing 64M of my 256 mb
of ram.  When I use append="mem=256M" in lilo.conf (or manually at the
lilo prompt), I then get a kernel panic just after the memory is
calculated:

gereal protection fault: 0000
--snip--
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
In swapper task - not syncing

I've tried 3 different sticks of 128MB PC100 ram, and all work in
another machine (different OS).  Also, the HD dual boots into Win98.
Win98 sees all 256MB of ram just fine.  I did most of my testing with
only one 128MB stick at a time

I've gone through all the bios settings, and even tried setting them to
fail-safe defaults.  And when I boot with only 64MB recognized, I can
compile the kernel just fine.  I'm currently using one compiled for
"386" processor type.

Can anyone help?  Is this just a bad motherboard, or have I not set or
compiled something correctly?  I can't tell if this is a hardware or
software problem.

Thanks,

Bill Shupp

------------------------------

From: "Nicolas VIGOGNE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Pb with RealTek LAN Adapter
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 01:06:28 +0100

I use ne2k-pci as an external module. And it is loaded...!

91nua2$u55$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:17:14 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]
> I bought earlier this year never worked under Windows. Just wouldn't.
> No go.
> Good thing I didn't want to use it under Windows, anyway. It runs perfectly
> under linux, once a bit of trial and error had determined which card type
> I had to give the driver. You'd think that the Windows driver on the
> CD that came with it would get it right, but no, apparently not. And it,
> of course, doesn't take any parameters.
>
> Does this mean that Windows is an "inferior OS"? I don't think so --- it
> just means that this particular piece of junk is not supported by Windows,
> despite claims to the contrary on the package. No more, and no less.
>
> >Linux doesn't work for quite a lot of people and that is why it is
> >virtually non-existant on the desktop of home users and will continue
> >to stay that way.
>
> I recently decided that I needed to install a slightly more up-to-date
> distribution on one of my machines (people had been sending me bug reports
> about some software of mine, and they seemed libc related). So I got
> Mandrake 7.2 at the local swapmeet.
> If I ever have a Windows installation that goes that smoothly, I shall
> mark the day in my calendar with a big red circle. But don't hold your
> breath.
>
> While I was at it, I decided to also give the machine a performance boost,
> and replaced the aging Celeron400 on a BP6 with a Duron running at 950MHz,
> on a Soyo board. Then I put the Windows drive back onto the EIDE controller.
> Oh my! It discovered lots and lots of new hardware (most of which wasn't
> really all that new), but I expected that. What I didn't expect was the
> total fit it threw over networking. OK, I got two ethernet cards in the
> machine, but that certainly isn't *that* unusual. And it certainly isn't
> an excuse for filling the routing table with half a dozen routes that
> connect to interfaces I don't have, and the addresses for which appear
> pretty much random. And not letting me delete those routes is extra naughty.
> I ended up reinstalling from scratch, after trying to convince the stupid
> thing in many ways that 169.254.114.118 (or something along those lines)
> was not one of my interfaces, or at least that 192.168.243.32 *is* one
> of them.
>
> Does that mean Windows is inferior to Mandrake 7.2? I don't think so.
> It just isn't very good at dealing with changing hardware. It isn't
> very good at a whole lot of things, just like Linux. And it's quite
> good at some others, just like Linux. And all the anecdotal evidence
> in the world won't change that.
>
> Bernie
>
> P.S.: Welcome back, heather69. I suspect you will regale us with stories
>       about your retail experience in "major chainstores", and how
>       Linux is the "numero uno" returned item, right? What will your
>       relation to the manager be this time? Will she be your aunt? Your

        You left out her other telltale line: "windows rocks"

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard disk partition problem
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:31:25 +0000

Mark Post wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 16:15:54 +0000, Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >I have a problem with my Mandrake 7.2 SCSI Buslogic system
>
> >After re-seizing my partitions on my first disk, using Partition Magic in
> >win95, I should have
> >sda3  (vfat)
> >sda4 (hpfs: OS/2a)
> >sda5  (hpfs: OS/2b)
> >sda6 (linux swap)
>
> >my root is on sdb5 and linux seems to recognise the second disk OK.
> >Partition Magic doesn't show any errors.
>
> >However, linux complains that /dev/sda4 isn't a valid block device, and
> >it
> >mounts OS2a as /dev/sda5 and doesn't mount the two other partitions.  It
> >seems to want to recognise the swap as /dev/sda7.  I.e. sda4 seems just
> >have "disappeared".  It looks OK in /dev
>
> Based on the device numbers sda5 and sda6, I would guess that you have one
> extended partition, with several logical partitions within it.  The
> extended partition is most likely partition #4, which means that the
> first, second, etc. logical partitions within it would be /dev/sda5,
> /dev/sda6, etc.
>
> Mark Post

Hmmmn.  Interesting.  That could certainly explain it.  Though I didn't
realise that the extended partition within which the logical partitions fit
gets its own device.  I hadn't noticed that happen before, nor did I pick
it up from the reading.

-Richard.

--
Richard Kimber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: mars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scanner
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:38:52 -0500

Frederik Himpe wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "galaxy"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi! I would like to know what brand scanner machine which can work on
> > linux. I need to know what brand of scanner do you recommand?  Thanks
>
> Have a look at this site and check wich scanners are supported by Sane:
> http://www.mostang.com/sane/
>
> Greetings,
> Frederik

thanks for information :-)

------------------------------

From: Russ Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 01:21:26 GMT

Kasper Dupont wrote:

> jtnews wrote:
> >
> > The Intel Easy PC camera is not supported in Linux!
> > You can't even write a driver for it!
> >
> > I got it as a "free" add-on with my new Dell Dimension
> > L600cx, but now it seems I made the wrong choice!
> >
> > Why does a $40 cheapo camera have to be proprietary for
> > Intel?  I thought Intel made all their money because they make
> > huge volumes of flash memory chips over their competitors.
> >
> > I better choose the Lexmark color printer as a free add on next
> > time!
> >

> Of course it is posible to write a driver for that
> camera, but you would have to reverse engineer the
> protocols.
>
> Depending on how it is connected you could hook in
> a piece of hardware or software to watch the
> communication.
>
> I don't understand Intel's policy, a Linux driver
> would allow more people to use the camera and then
> they could expect to sell more cameras. But
> perhaps they have some secret agreement with MS.
>
> --
> Kasper Dupont
Probably it is a "Windows only" camera. It uses the PC cpu and memory to
operate the camera rather than electronics in the camera. Windows
continually polls the camera for data. This makes the camera lots
cheaper to build, but uses up computer resources. Works fine on a single
user/ single task OS, but not under a multiuser multitasking OS like
Linux (or Solaris or BSD). So you truly can't write a driver for Linux.
At least not one that would make anyone happy.

--
Russ Lyttle, PE
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ide 6x 4 disk cdrom
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 01:27:14 GMT

i have an ide 6x 4disk cdrom.
the drive is alway detected at boot but only seems to find the first
disk as /dev/hdd.

what do i need to do to get it to find the other 3 disks?
how do i need to set up my fstab?
should the next disk be /dev/hdd2 or /dev/hde?
should i have special options in my fstab?

is there a special how-to for this type of drive.

--
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of dos

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: IDE-Raid-Controller
Date: 19 Dec 2000 20:11:23 -0500

Does the 3ware RAID5 card work under Linux?
I'm looking for cheap hardware RAID5.

Thanks for any info,
  Richard

------------------------------

From: "mpierce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Iomega 250 USB Zip?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 02:05:53 GMT

As I'm also using the same kernel and RH7, can you tell me how you got it
to work?

What do you have in your fstab and do you have to load a specific module
if so, how do you load it at boot to make it automatic?
Marvin
--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Bizarre Graphics Card Activity
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 01:45:49 GMT

If somebody can figure this one out, I will be awed and amazed :)

That having been said, I'm experiencing some of the most bizarre
hardware problems ever.  Here is the problem:

I have an i810 based Linux box running X3.3.5 and Redhat 6.2.  In this
box there is a FC-PGA PIII-700 (100MHz FSB), 64MB 100MHz SDRAM, and a
PCI-based ATI Rage Pro Turbo card.  When I run a benchmark utility to
measure the available video bandwidth for the app aviplay, I score
around 34MB/s.  If I take the PCI card out and use the i810 graphics
(which is the Intel 752 core), I score about 85M/s.  That much makes
sense, since you get the increased bandwidth of the AGP bus, though I
didn't expect the effect to be so dramatic (and I'm guessing that the
core must be faster and the drivers better for the 810, in general).

Now, I also ran the ATI card using the XF86_FBDev framebuffer (so I
could get TV-out to work), and under X I see a slight performance hit,
and my score drops to about 31M/s.

Here's the kicker, though...

I put the exact same ATI card into a Slot-1 PIII-733 with 256MB RAM
based on a VIA Apollo Pro chipset, and my performance immediately drops
to about 23M/s.  I swapped out the PCI Rage Pro Turbo for an identical
AGP version, and scored around 24M/s.  Needless to say, using the
framebuffer driver instead of the accelerated driver made the
performance even worse.

So my question is, what could make the identical graphics card run
slower on a system where theoretically every other thing is faster (I
used the same HDD in both boxes so that the system settings would be
identical)?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "mike marois" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: ??? RH7.0 on a Pentium Pro 200
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 20:04:46 -0600

SOHO - Small Office Home Office

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.hardware mike marois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I just purchased a pentium pro 200 with 256mb of ram to be the SOHO
server

> SOHO?
>
> > to act as a file server, intranet, and gateway in my 4 pc home office
> > network.  Are there any know problems with this seemly old technology?
Will