Linux-Hardware Digest #65, Volume #14            Wed, 20 Dec 00 15:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! (John Travis)
  Re: AT LAAAAAAAST !!! YIPPEEEEEEE! (aflinsch)
  Re: IDE CD-Changer (was Re: ide 6x 4 disk cdrom) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  LCD display for Linux/Matrox G200 (Ian Pilcher)
  Re: PowerEdge 2450 and RedHat Linux (Tony Lill)
  Re: IDE-Raid-Controller (Jeff McWilliams)
  Re: CPU temp (Bharath Krishnan)
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Soundblaster 16 PCI (Markku Kolkka)
  Rage 128 Pro (ATI) ("Jean -Yves DANIEL")
  Re: Soundblaster 16 PCI (Yurasis Dragon)
  Re: QRe: Sound Blaster not working ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Hardware Raid in Caldera e-server (DPT Century) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Pb with RealTek LAN Adapter (Wine Development)
  3D Support for ATI Rage Mobilon AGP 2x ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: 3Com 3CCFE575CT PCMCIA on Dell Inspiron 7500.... (David Hinds)
  Re: 3D Support for ATI Rage >Mobility< AGP 2x ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! (Jonathan Buzzard)
  My new system... (Nick Hopton)
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! (mlw)
  Re: Alpha 2100 and X Windows (Marble Head)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Travis)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux!
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:55:20 GMT

And [EMAIL PROTECTED] spoke unto the masses...

>Sounds like the default gateway problem with Mandrake that screws up
>ppp. See the setup groups for information.
>
>>P.S.: Welcome back, heather69. I suspect you will regale us with stories
>>      about your retail experience in "major chainstores", and how
>>      Linux is the "numero uno" returned item, right? What will your
>>      relation to the manager be this time? Will she be your aunt? Your
>>      daughter? Your brother's wife?
>
>Huh????

Hmmm... the mandrake ngs.  I remember when Steve liked LM 7.0.  He even posted
several messages to alt.os.linux.mandrake.  Coincidence :)?

jt
--
Debian Gnu/Linux [Woody]
2.4.0-test9-ReiserFs|XFree4.0.1|nVidia.95 Drivers

------------------------------

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AT LAAAAAAAST !!! YIPPEEEEEEE!
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:07:34 -0600

him self wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:09:04 +0200, Jerra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I have got this all wrong.... Oracle apparently does not run on any Red Hat
> > distro other than 6.2EE. Which is not for free.
> > Is this correct?
>
> No.
> Oracle 8i runs on RH6.
> RH 7 is a mistake.

Don't know about RH, but I have had 8i running on Mandrake 6.0, 6.1,
7.0, 7.1 & 7.2 without any problems, and no need to reconfigure the
kernel to get it working.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: IDE CD-Changer (was Re: ide 6x 4 disk cdrom)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 16:31:10 GMT

OUCH!
i wish i'd have know that two weeks ago.
i just got thru recompiling the kernel to add support for my nic.

thanks for the explanation.
i think i'll move it over to my ex-box and try it there first.

thanks again

        phrostie

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 01:27:14 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] staggered into
> the Black Sun and said:
> >i have an ide 6x 4disk cdrom.
> >the drive is alway detected at boot but only seems to find the first
> >disk as /dev/hdd.
> >what do i need to do to get it to find the other 3 disks?
>
> A CD-Changer, in other words?  It certainly sounds like one from the
way
> you've described it.
>
> >how do i need to set up my fstab?
> >is there a special how-to for this type of drive.
>
> If this is a CD-Changer, you will most likely need to recompile your
> kernel (cough.)  Disable IDE CD-ROM support, enable SCSI Support,
> IDE-SCSI Emulation, SCSI CD-ROM support, and SCSI Generic Support.
Make
> sure to turn the "Probe for multiple LUNs on each SCSI device" setting
> to "YES".  This option is a pain for owners of regular CD-ROMs and
> CD-RWs, but is essential for CD-Changers!
>
> Using your new kernel, boot the system with "hdd=ide-scsi" as a kernel
> command line parameter.  Each CD slot should show up as one of
> /dev/scd[0-3] .  HTH, post here if it works, I'm going entirely on
> theory here since I've never even seen one of these things.
>
> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us
to see
> Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin'
Ctrl-Alt

--
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of dos

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Ian Pilcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LCD display for Linux/Matrox G200
Date: 20 Dec 2000 16:42:00 GMT

My 17" CRT seems to be on its last legs.  If it does die, I'd like to
go the LCD route.  I'd like to hear any recommendations/experiences
that people have had in this area.

I'll probably stick with a 1024x768 LCD for cost reasons.  I'm
particularly interested in the experiences people have had getting clear
pictures with standard SVGA connections.

Thanks!
Ian Pilcher                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Crossposted-To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: PowerEdge 2450 and RedHat Linux
From: Tony Lill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 16:54:18 GMT

"Richard Robbins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> How similar is the 2400 to the 2450?

AFAIK, just the packaging. The 2400 is the standalone box and the 2450
is the rackmount version.
--
Tony Lill,                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff McWilliams)
Subject: Re: IDE-Raid-Controller
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:13:15 GMT

I'm not sure about Raid5, but I'm using 3Ware's RAID controller to
do mirroring between two 20G Maxtor drives.  It works okay.  I haven't
played with the accompanying health monitoring software though.

Jeff

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:13:14 -0500
From: Bharath Krishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CPU temp

ekk wrote:

> Hello,
> Is there a way to find out the cpu temp while running linux?
> Thanks,
> Ken

Go here:

http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/

-b

--
So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Guns. Lots of guns.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:25:58 GMT

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:49:07 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Travis) wrote:

>And [EMAIL PROTECTED] spoke unto the masses...
>>On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:20:16 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite
>>number of monkeys) wrote:
>>

>>>Obviously why on my PC, such "archaic" hardware as:
>>>
>>>SoundBlaster Live!
>>
>>Tell me how you get surround sound, or digital audio via the digital
>>audio spid/f connector under Linux?
>
>OSS.  Go read the changelog.

Why should I have to pay $20 for a driver for my card?

So finally, December 14th, 2000 the card gets what still amounts to
half ass'd support.

Where is the surround sound BTW?

>>Tell me about LiveWare for Linux?
>
>Tell ME why the fuck liveware bluescreens me in w2k anytime anyone other than
>admin tries to use the surround mixer?  Check perms...correct.
>Uninstall/reinstall drivers...done.  I would like to see some of the stuff from
>Liveware though, and I assume we will soon.  Other stuff, like making everyone
>sound like a chipmunk is less than useful IMO.

Works fine for me. Must be something you are doing wrong.

>>>Creative Annihilator 2 (GeForce 2 GTS based card)
>>
>>And you get full use of all the 3d stuff and acceleration under Linux?
>
>Yes.  The latest X releases are quite acceptable IMO.

Acceptable?

What you really mean is that although they "work", they are not as
good as the Windows versions and your card is not performing up to the
level of performance it was designed for.

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster 16 PCI
Date: 20 Dec 2000 19:27:25 +0200

Anthony Hung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I just got a soundlbaster 16 PCI and my system doesn't seem to be able to
> recognize it. I am using redhat linux... linux 2.2.

I have a SB16PCI, and RedHat 6.2 and 7.0 detected and configured it
automatically. No need to recompile or install anything extra.

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: "Jean -Yves DANIEL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Rage 128 Pro (ATI)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:56:52 +0100

Hello ,

My name is Jean-Yves DANIEL

I should like to know if there is  a driver available for à compact
(tv,graphic,DVD)  card  rage 128 pro

I mean for  linux of course.

I dit not yet try le most latest XFree86 (Mach64) version but they say that
it doesn't support yet this kind of card .

The one i tryed (not so old ) with -probeonly argument returns ---> unknown
ATI card with an hexadecimal code that i don't
remember .

What is the more in advance for this ? who can help me ?

thanks very mutch in advance .

Jean-Yves

------------------------------

From: Yurasis Dragon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:02:13 -0700

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 04:27:12 GMT, "lobotomy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Yes, this is what I did with my SB 16 PCI.  It worked OK except for the sound,
I need to crank it up more than I think I should have to.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: QRe: Sound Blaster not working
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 19:14:10 +0100

Dans l'article <gMy%5.231743$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chris"
<e e z e e 7 @ h o m e . c o m> a écrit :
Damn, fuck red hat!

Why don' you try to grab the latest kernel 2.4.0 test 11? That's a proper
kernel. www.kernel.org

You compile it, you ask for sound , oss modules in the kernel and sound blaster as a
module.

You install all that, you make up your lilo.conf, you run your lilo and
youreboot and you never reuse red hat provided kernel again, it is damn
heavy!

Once you rebooted, just launch the module you need
modprobe sb

You do not even need to have an isapnp.conf file nor a modules.conf by
now.
If that does not work, nothing's gonna work as it is the latest driver
ever.

Cheers,

Stéphane K.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Hardware Raid in Caldera e-server (DPT Century)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:29:05 GMT

I am trying to install Caldera e-server 2.3 using a DPT SmartRaid V
controller.  I cannot find a driver that will allow me to install using
this controller.  I am new to linux but have a extensive history using
other Unix platforms.  Any help would be appreciated.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Wine Development <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Pb with RealTek LAN Adapter
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 20:03:57 +0000

Nicolas VIGOGNE wrote:

> Hi,
> I just want to submit you a little problem :
> I can't ping any host on my LAN with a RealTek 8029 adapter under Mandrake
> 7.2.
>
> Here are the symptoms : configuration is OK through netconf or DrakConf. But
> when I try to type an "ifconfig eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ...", system replies
> "Ressource temporary Unavailable".

As I understand it the 8029 is not supported under Linux. the 8129 and
8139 are.

You could also be rather more selective in the number of groups you post to.

--
Keith Matthews                  Spam trap - my real account at this
                                                        node is keith_m

Frequentous Consultants  - Linux Services,
                Oracle development & database administration

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 3D Support for ATI Rage Mobilon AGP 2x
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 19:03:21 GMT

Dear All,

I use RedHat 7.0 with XFree86 4.0.1 on a Dell Inspiron 4000. Through
Xconfigurator I can see it hsa an ATI Rage Mobilon AGP 2x graphic
adapter. The 2D support works really well, but I cannot get the 3D
support to work. When I try to enable DRI by following the README.DRI
file, I always get the following line:

(II) r128(0): Direct rendering disabled

And the XFree86-DRI extension is never available (as seen by xdpyinfo).
I do not see specific support for this graphic adapter, is it supported
by XFree86 4.0.x, do I have to enable any special features to get it to
work?

Sincerely,
Terence Haddock

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: David Hinds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3Com 3CCFE575CT PCMCIA on Dell Inspiron 7500....
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 19:16:14 GMT

In comp.os.linux.portable MWencek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just completed a fresh install of Redhat Linux v7.0 boxed set
> and do not have a working setup with respect to the 3Com/Dell
> 3CCFE575CT PCMCIA card that ships with the Dell 7500 laptop.

You'll need to describe exactly what happens when you insert the card,
with system log messages.  I believe that RH 7 should support this
card so you should certainly not need to modify /etc/pcmcia/config.

> I've tried modifying the /etc/pcmcia/config to add the 3c575_cb
> module and various combinations of the instructions I've gleaned
> from other posting below, however, the card does not configure
> properly upon system boot.  IFCONFIG shows that the card is
> at IRQ 11 and IO base 0x200.

If the card shows up in "ifconfig", then the correct driver was
loaded.  Then you should just need to configure the interface using
"netconf".

-- Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 3D Support for ATI Rage >Mobility< AGP 2x
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 19:11:00 GMT

Oops, this is an ATI Rage Mobility LF:

(--) r128(0): Chipset: "ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF (AGP)" (ChipID = 0x4c46)
(--) r128(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xe4000000
(--) r128(0): MMIO registers at 0xfdffc000
(--) r128(0): VideoRAM: 8192 kByte (128-bit SDR SGRAM 1:1)

Any help getting 3D working on this chipset would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Terence Haddock

n article <91qvpi$ftj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I use RedHat 7.0 with XFree86 4.0.1 on a Dell Inspiron 4000. Through
> Xconfigurator I can see it hsa an ATI Rage Mobilon AGP 2x graphic
> adapter. The 2D support works really well, but I cannot get the 3D
> support to work. When I try to enable DRI by following the README.DRI
> file, I always get the following line:
>
> (II) r128(0): Direct rendering disabled
>
> And the XFree86-DRI extension is never available (as seen by xdpyinfo).
> I do not see specific support for this graphic adapter, is it supported
> by XFree86 4.0.x, do I have to enable any special features to get it to
> work?
>
> Sincerely,
> Terence Haddock
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Buzzard)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:46:49 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
[SNIP]

> The price indicates that the actual camera is trivial and all the
> important product development was in the software. If Intel makes the
> hardware API public, then it is clear how the camera works. Competitors
> would be able to clone the hardware and just instruct users to download
> the camera software from Intel.

I don't think that this would work, few users would be happy not getting
the driver with the device, and it would probably be a breach of the
license for the software. If Intel was to put some device ID in the
device which the driver was to check, then this would effectively lock
out the clonners, unless they want to find themselves in court.

> I worked at Polaroid as a contractor and did some work on their
> electronic still camera. There is a lot of image processing involved in
> this sort of product. Obviously, the el-cheapo cameras must do this in
> host software, not on the camera to keep the costs down. The competitor
> only has to invest in hardware, while Intel has to recoup cost the
> larger cost of software development.
>
> It is a tough problem, and one of those gray areas in which a pure GPL
> approach is a very tough sell. To differentiate yourself and be
> competitive with a hardware product, you must make it good and make it
> competitively priced. The answer to this is proprietary software to
> control mass-produced trivial hardware.

Not in a pure GPL approach, as Intel would have only a small expense in
the software development as would all the other camera manuafactures.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195

------------------------------

From: Nick Hopton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: My new system...
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 19:34:32 +0000

Ladies, Gentlemen,

I have just ordered a new system, as described:

1.  Athlon 1000, Thunderbird,
2.  Gigabyte GA-7ZM,
3.  20-gig, UDMA 66 hard drive,
4.  Ricoh combi CD-rewriter and DVD-player,
5.  32Mb Riva TNT video card.

Now, I've had some experience of Linux in the past, and it's caused me a
lot of *pain* (mainly of my own making, by trying to do thing like
making win-printers work with Linux).

I'll be ready to give Linux another try on the new system soon, but the
question I would ask of you is, is there a distro that would run out-of-
the-box on this hardware? If not, I think I'll have to wait until there
is, whenever that that might be (if ever).

Regards and best wishes,
Nick.

--
Nick Hopton, Caversham, Reading, England.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:03:51 -0500

Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> [SNIP]
> >
> > The price indicates that the actual camera is trivial and all the
> > important product development was in the software. If Intel makes the
> > hardware API public, then it is clear how the camera works. Competitors
> > would be able to clone the hardware and just instruct users to download
> > the camera software from Intel.
>
> I don't think that this would work, few users would be happy not getting
> the driver with the device, and it would probably be a breach of the
> license for the software. If Intel was to put some device ID in the
> device which the driver was to check, then this would effectively lock
> out the clonners, unless they want to find themselves in court.

But, and I have seen this with older video cards based on S3 chips,
video capture cards, FAX modems, etc. If vendor A puts a lot of work in
their driver to make it better, and vendor B puts very little work in
their driver, but it is common knowledge that vendors A's driver will
work with vendor B's hardware, the more savvy people will buy the device
by vendor B and download drivers from vendor A.

> > I worked at Polaroid as a contractor and did some work on their
> > electronic still camera. There is a lot of image processing involved in
> > this sort of product. Obviously, the el-cheapo cameras must do this in
> > host software, not on the camera to keep the costs down. The competitor
> > only has to invest in hardware, while Intel has to recoup cost the
> > larger cost of software development.
> >
> > It is a tough problem, and one of those gray areas in which a pure GPL
> > approach is a very tough sell. To differentiate yourself and be
> > competitive with a hardware product, you must make it good and make it
> > competitively priced. The answer to this is proprietary software to
> > control mass-produced trivial hardware.
> >

> Not in a pure GPL approach, as Intel would have only a small expense in
> the software development as would all the other camera manuafactures.

But how would Intel make a case for its camera over some low priced
clone? Why would someone pay $10 dollars more for an Intel camera? They
wouldn't, and that would not be acceptable for someone like Intel.

Intel has a brand name, as dubious as it is, they have to make sure that
there camera is better than a "Snap!" super el-cheapo. If they can't,
they won't enter the market. If they release something that makes their
camera better than the "Snap!" then, "Snap!" would be able to copy their
image processing techniques and steal the market with price.

GPL can not apply to hardware, because hardware is limited by finite
numbers. Production has a proportional unit cost for the producer. While
the software associated with a digital camera may be free, making it so
would affect the ability to produce the camera competitively. The
software is part of the camera.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marble Head)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Subject: Re: Alpha 2100 and X Windows
Date: 20 Dec 2000 14:46:26 GMT

TMS Computers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Ok that worked! I am using Exceed for Windows right now and I have my
>Gnome Desktop. So, the X-Server is working just fine, as you said, it's
>the local video that is hosed. Any ideas about that? You have been a
>tremendous help so far!!!
>
>Thank you!

I'm afraid that's the best I can actually do to help.
The rest, you already know.
- Yank the video card, read the chipset numbers off it.  Write down
everything you can.
- Put it back in, boot, and run xf86config (I think that's the one.)

I assume that you know the proper ways to start X after the video is
configured.
    init 3
    startx

My experience is that xf86config doesn't work the first time.  You have to
cycle through several times before you find your working configuration.

There are some other X configuration tools that work better (sometimes)
than xf86config, but I don't believe any are included with Potato.  The
Xconfigurator seems to be pretty good, in my experience.

'Course you're talking to a guy who has an alpha box sitting here, with a
Cirrus video chip, and no working graphics.  :-)  I use X-Deep/32 (my new
favorite as/of yesterday).